Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TG Blog #3 Beast Man!

Heroic Warrior
    Good call on this distraction blog post number 3.. I almost forgot about the current issues of the line for a minute...

Does anything make you happy about this line?

Heroic Warrior
    Does anything make you happy about this line?
    Yes : the overall look and sculpts, the variety, the nostalgia, and the usually great articulations (obviously, the Goddess is not part of the "great articulations" figures, and Megator and Tytus are a bit limited in that specific department, but otherwise, it's fine).

Raqquill Rqazz specifically was created as Beast Man’s real name because it was designed to mimic his people’s voice and beastly language. It was also designed to sound vicious in nature (Ra-KILL Ra- Kazzz). Love it or hate it, we had a “real name” and were ready to unleash it on the public (fully aware this added element to the lore would be extremely controversial at first).
    Raqquill Rqazz doesn't sound vicious or beastly at all. It sounds like a Brazilian gigolo.

But like most changes, in time fans grew to accept these new facts and even embrace and defend them.
    Somehow I doubt this.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by npbaity View Post

See, this is how I remember it as well. I accepted and believed it with the Search For Keldor Minicomic back in the day. I remember there being much discussion about the matter prior to & especially after the Opening The Vaults Interview. General acceptance was reached with its incorporation into the MYP Storyline.

The Teela Paternity Issue, on the other hand, is another matter entirely!

Long Live MOTU!!!!
    Now & Forever!!!!
    HOHOHOHOHOHO!!! Soooooo true...
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    Evil Lyn getting her own outfit in Filmation and MYP and no longer being a cheap Teela repaint?
    Then to reverse that with Classics, I get the Yel-Low Lyn & Teela because of the vintage effect, but BGEL should have had a new outfit, since she was not that Evil-Lyn, and even BP She-Ra had a whole new outfit regardless if she was based on the 2.0 or not, Adora was not a 2.0 buck , but she got a new outfit. Point there is Adora a new character or not got a new outfit showing that it was possible to sculpt a totally new outfit for that 1.0 female body, and BG Evil-Lyn got shafted in that Dept.

Quote Originally Posted by Sallah View Post
    Ummm... I was around back then and I totally don't remember fans hating this, since it was something we all knew was coming. There was the "Opening The Vault" interview posted right here at the Org that went into great detail about it. Plus, it is pretty blatant in the vintage mini-comic "The Search For Keldor" that Keldor and Randor are brothers and Keldor becomes Skeletor. In fact, I'd say the opposite reaction was what really happened back then- since most fans were pleased to see the Keldor thing finally played out in front of them.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong though. Or maybe Scott never saw that vintage mini-comic?

Sallah
    I just think it's funny.... It's like the whole Darth Vader / Luke Skywalker thing....

Skeletor: "Did you know about your uncle?"

Adam: "Father told me you killed my uncle"

Skeletor: "Adam, I am your Uncle"

Adam: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" ...... "That's alright, I know something you don't as well, Uncle Keldor"

Skeletor: "What is that, you sniffling little weakling?"

Adam: (Draws Sword) "By The Power...."

Skeletor: "Oh Crap!"
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Or maybe Scott never saw that vintage mini-comic?
    Oh come on, our good man TG totally immersed himself in the lore

I took this time to immerse myself back in MOTU lore and history to be ready should the first six figures prove successful and lead to a full line.
    I used the time to re-familiarize myself with MOTU lore. I re-watched every episode of every series, re-read ever mini comic, DC comic, Marvel comic, Image comic and so forth.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    I was never worried about Keldor being Adam´s uncle. He wants to access to the Grayskull power, he can access to the Eternia throne, because he is from a royal family.

But I will never see the point in Snake MAA, even in 30 years!
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

I really enjoy reading these, pretty interesting.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    They don't have to produce anything.
    Mattel missed the opportunity to put out a Man-At-Arms with an arm cannon and unhelmeted head and an Evil-Lyn with 200X skirt with their second release. When it comes to A-list characters, those are two more that they could have knocked out the second time. Now we might be subject to a THIRD Man-At-Arms and Evil-Lyn in the future, when they could have gone onto someone else.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; February 7, 2012 at 08:41pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    I'm sure it's real nice to reminisce about being involved with the birth of MOTUC, and sharing it with us must make him very happy. However, I'm pretty sure this raises the question... Shouldn't he be focusing on all the issues with the line rather than use the time to write a memoir for every figure that is currently out? It doesn't really instill confidence that he or anyone else at Mattel gives a ****.

I love Mos Eisley Cantina BoShek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    RED BEAST!! RED BEAST!!! RED BEAST!! Oh man, after dropping that gem, we better get a Red Beast in the MOTUC line!!!
    Yes please!
    Please watch my videos!
    http://www.eaglekillerstudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    I'm sure it's real nice to reminisce about being involved with the birth of MOTUC, and sharing it with us must make him very happy. However, I'm pretty sure this raises the question... Shouldn't he be focusing on all the issues with the line rather than use the time to write a memoir for every figure that is currently out? It doesn't really instill confidence that he or anyone else at Mattel gives a ****.
    He is writing this stuff in his spare time.
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Evil Apologist of Mattel® Count Marzo's Avatar
    OMGz Toyguru is distracting us with a new blog post on Beast Man!!! *adjusts tinfoil, closes blinds/locks doors*
    -=¤EvilCøuntMarzø¤=-
    BLÅÇK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    He is writing this stuff in his spare time.
    Maybe he should fix the problems on his spare time.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Mattel missed the opportunity to put out a Man-At-Arms with an arm cannon and unhelmeted head and an Evil-Lyn with 200X skirt with their second release. When it comes to A-list characters, those are two more that they could have knocked out the second time. Now we might be subject to a THIRD Man-At-Arms and Evil-Lyn in the future, when they could have gone onto someone else.
    100% truth...

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by npbaity View Post
    I remember there being much discussion about the matter prior to & especially after the Opening The Vaults Interview. General acceptance was reached with its incorporation into the MYP Storyline.
    Yep, there was definitely debate about it well before 200X happened. I remember speculation and debate on the mailing list about whether Randor's brother from "The Search for Keldor" was indeed Skeletor (which is hinted at in the story). He-Man.Org's "Opening the Vaults" interview with Steven Grant finally confirmed the connection and, yes, a lot of fans hated that (I think Val even brings this up in an upcoming RGD). Others liked it as it more or less confirmed what was hinted at in the mini-comic. MYP finally REALIZED the Keldor character onscreen and showed us the link between Keldor and Skeletor, though unfortunately they never got around to revealing his connection to Randor this time! So Keldor/Skeletor is definitely not a new character or idea, though he was finally "made flesh"...er, "ink and paint"... in MYP.

Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    Wasn't this all hashed out with the first blog. I know most of it was deleted for some reason, but I can't understand how someone can actually think that he is obligated to work on anything MOTUC on his off time. To do these blogs for each character on his own time is very cool of him. I think the mood he describes that makes it seem like he sees himself as Indiana Jones discovering treasure is because to him it was like that, and I think if most of us were honest, we would admit it would have been like that if we were in that situation. How awesome would it be get paid to research your favorite toy line and be a major player in the resurrection of that line.

I love hearing his re-telling of these events and can't wait for each new blog. I feel like you are trying to view these blogs as negative. I see them as a fun and positive thing for us.

Heroic Warrior
    I certainly respect the fact Scott is writing these on his own time- it shows he obviously cares about the property a great deal. My only problem with the blogs comes in the form of wondering what things could have been done with said time as opposed to writing some chronicles as opposed to working out readily apparent issues that could keep the line, and by association said blogs, going for much longer.

Interesting stuff though none the less and I appreciate Scott taking his own personal time to write these.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I really enjoy reading these blogs. I really appreciate all that has gone into making this line. And special thanks to ToyGuru for all that he has done.
    If it were't for the amount of care & longevity in consideration to this line I may not have even stated collecting motuc.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Evil Overlord of Spandex CptSpandex's Avatar
    I also enjoy these blogs. It's great to see a "behind the scenes" look at the product. This one, in particular, was good! Rummaging through old Mattel files on MOTU is every He-Fan's dream! This guy is living the MOTU deam!

Heroic Warrior
    Ummm... I was around back then and I totally don't remember fans hating this, since it was something we all knew was coming. There was the "Opening The Vault" interview posted right here at the Org that went into great detail about it. Plus, it is pretty blatant in the vintage mini-comic "The Search For Keldor" that Keldor and Randor are brothers and Keldor becomes Skeletor. In fact, I'd say the opposite reaction was what really happened back then- since most fans were pleased to see the Keldor thing finally played out in front of them.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong though. Or maybe Scott never saw that vintage mini-comic?

Sallah
    I remember HATING the idea with an all consuming passion.

I still do.

Anything that 'humanizes' the Evil Lord of Destruction is a BAD move. Anytime you can recreate Empire Strikes Back with He-man and SKeletor is a BAD move...

At BEST, you get a new plot/goal to rehabilitate, Cure Skeletor like he seemed to be afraid of in the comic... at WORST... you actually DO and end up losing one of the greatest villaens of all time..

I was annoyed when I found that they went with THAT story point in 200x.. I was EXTREMELY annoyed when I found out that he was always blue and dressed the same... Thus killing the very mystery/search that the comic was all about.

Personally... I would have PREFERED if the 'Search for Keldor' was about someone who knew the secret to stopping Skeletor... some spell, some weapon... some knowledge of his demon dimension... Thus having Skeletor banish him or trap him somewhere...

THen you could have people search and maybe even FIND him

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxieman View Post
    I think the mood he describes that makes it seem like he sees himself as Indiana Jones discovering treasure is because to him it was like that, and I think if most of us were honest, we would admit it would have been like that if we were in that situation. How awesome would it be get paid to research your favorite toy line and be a major player in the resurrection of that line.
    Agreed!

I remember a LOT of giddy excitement around here when the Artbook and all it's long-lost treasures was announced... imagine actually FINDING that stuff...

Elder Councilman
    the Keldor angle makes me love Skeletor even more than I would have otherwise. When I first read it about him, it added a lot more depth...rather than just having him be another "evil demon who wants to take over everything".

I mean....the whole concept of the "evil demon who just wants to rule everything" is beyond the point of cliche, and it just feels so cardboard at this point.

I remember when I first got back into MOTU in the mid-late '90s, I read somewhere that Keldor became Skeletor by screwing around with black magic in one of the towers of Palace Eternia or something, and in the process burned his face off.

That right there got me so much more interested in the character than I'd ever been. I thought Skeletor was all cool and scary from my memory of him during childhood, but seeing as I was a teen in the late '90s, this really added some needed depth for me.

And then.....I found out that he'd been trained by the Horde. So technically, without the Horde, there would've been no Skeletor.

Any wonder why I'm now a huge fan of the Horde? ':B-)
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

I love how the best toys are always made "after hours" by passionate people despite upper management. Time after time, it seems like the suits DON'T want to make money.

Here's hoping that the brief mention of Spikor is a hint about what to see this weekend...

Ahh well, a dude can dream, can't he?
    Say cheese!!!