Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WARNING: Snout Spout's trunk breaks!

Hybrid View

WARNING: Snout Spout's trunk breaks!

So my brother phoned me today to let me know that his Snout Spout trunk split... badly. He advised me to check mine and sure enough mine was broken as well. I had it propped up on his axe and I guess the material just can't handle being posed in a bent state for too long!

So if you have yours bent I suggest you leave it in a neutral position asap

NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Heroic Warrior
    Aw man, here we go again with the QC issues.

Its killen teh lien!!!!

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    I was afraid of that...
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Hey Matty - what happened to all this quality testing you said you did on the trunk?

Most of us could tell the thing was going to crack once we had it in hand.
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

I expected a crack or two but for it to split this badly!?!!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

I imagine one small crack started (went unnoticed) and the force of the trunk being dipped in the middle applied a small amount of force to one place, the crack kept going.

Unfortunately anyone that gets a crack will have to be extremely careful that it doesn't turn into a major split. It's great that Scott told us extensive QC testing was done on the material of the trunk. But a picture is worth 1000 Mattel promises.
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

Committed to bringing you the best quality figures possible!!
    I left my wallet in El Segundo...

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    So my brother phoned me today to let me know that his Snout Spout trunk split... badly. He advised me to check mine and sure enough mine was broken as well. I had it propped up on his axe and I guess the material just can't handle being posed in a bent state for too long!

So if you have yours bent I suggest you leave it in a neutral position asap
    WOW! That really stinks! I'm sorry this happened to you and your brother, I hope this is not an issue everyone will have.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Oh man, that's terrible! I was really worried about this right away, as mine immediately had stress marks.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Hrm. Yeah, I was afraid of that. Wasn't planning on moving it much anyway, but that doesn't mean this isn't crappy. I really think this should have been a segmented plastic trunk rather than the bendy one. If it wasn't the foam they used, then it would have been the wire in the trunk. Oh well, I guess. I figured they had tested this, but they didn't bother with the long-term test.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    I figured they had tested this, but they didn't bother with the long-term test.
    This is in no way intended as a call-out statement, but can we really consider 3 months of consumer life "long-term"? If we were talking 3 years then maybe, but 3 months?

Kinda makes you wonder how Hssss has managed to survive his first year. (Not that he isn't without his own controversies & issues.)

Long Live MOTU!!!!
    Now & Forever!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Well, yeah... I told you all that BENDY PARTS ARE VERY FRAGILE, didn't I ? Now, you've got proof ! We received Snout Spout 3 months ago, and there are already cracks in his bendable trunk !?

From now on, we must DEMAND that Matty won't use bendy parts anymore, and will find a better solution !

Taken for the ass, once again... World class, Mattel... World class !!!

don't worry. they won't make this mistake again.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry75 View Post
    So shouldn't we ask the original poster how much pressure he applied to the trunk before it broke? I mean come on, apply enough pressure to ANY of the figures and it will get damaged...
    i agree. let's question the OP. after all, matty doesn't have a long record of QC issues...
    Last edited by EldestSon; February 7, 2012 at 05:59pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I've got a bad feeling about this...
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 3.30.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Attachment 72754

"We are dedicated to making quality products" ??? I pulled out my UNO cards after not messing with them for a long time, and had to laugh when I turned the box over and saw this....

Where's that world class Mattel research now?

I'm sure this will be blamed on either the customer being too rough with Snouty, or like Goddess, be blamed on being weakened by a manufacturing process. After almost 70 years of making toys they still can't get certain things right.....vac metal anyone? or a flexible piece of foam plastic that won't break, funny some toys in the 80's played the hell out of by kids have outlasted some modern adult collector toys with supposedly far superior materials.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; February 7, 2012 at 07:34pm.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    "We are dedicated to making quality products" ??? I pulled out my UNO cards after not messing with them for a long time, and had to laugh when I turned the box over and saw this....
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that statement isn't to be found on any of our MOTUC Product. Plenty about Meeting Saftey Standards & Where to Call or Log On if there's a problem (cuz let's face it, it's YOUR Problem, right?!), but no Quality Assurance or Mission Statement.

Long Live MOTU!!!!
    Now & Forever!!!!

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    This is not good at all. I bet this figure will break anyway with the passage of time.

So glad I put the 200X station head on mine.

Just saw this thread and went to check my Snout Spout cause I too used the fork to hold up the trunk. Cause it looked cool! and this is what mine is like!

Not a happy camper! I knew this would be an issue, but so soon? Why is there always these issues? If it's not one thing it's another! So tired of these things!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

I took my Snout Spout out of the package - placed him in a suitable pose - bent his nose to the left slightly and let him sit.....a month later I looked and saw a blue line.....investigated and realized that his trunk split! I mean, I guess I can understand how that happened.....no movement - just the stress of it SITTING IN THE SAME POSE FOR A MONTH caused it to break!

Not sure if it's even worth bugging DR for a replacement....I mean, it's Snout Spout, after all. But the principle of the matter.....for $28 after shipping.....that is pretty annoying!

Fudge Supreme Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayton72 View Post
    Not sure if it's even worth bugging DR for a replacement....I mean, it's Snout Spout, after all. But the principle of the matter.....for $28 after shipping.....that is pretty annoying!
    Yeah, getting a replacement from DR is kind of pointless since it will just be another defective one. This needs to be taken care of by way of make new corrected heads and sending them to everyone who ordered a Snout Spout (regardless of whether the trunks have split or not yet, since it's obvious that they are not made to last).

This should NOT be as complicated as the Goddess issue because as I said earlier, only the head needs to be replaced since the heads are swapable, not the whole figure. In the case of the Goddess, with such a substatial breakage happening in the middle of the figure itself, so pretty much the whole figure (or at least the body, which is the bulk of the figure) needed to be replaced. And the Goddess didn't sell all that well, while Snout Spout did sell out.

So considering Snout Spout's comparitive success as a figure and the fact that only a small portion of the figure needs replacing, there's no reason that Mattel can't take care of this issue properly. Yes, it will likely take some time to figure out what kind of material to use for the corrected heads, produce them, get them sent from overseas, etc, but they should get a plan together ASAP to actually take care of this PROPERLY and communicate it to fans.

I think this is something that we really need to rally for. It's the most reasonable solution to the problem. This is a small line with limited resources, so I can see where replacing the whole figure would be an issue. But I don't think asking for just a replacement head is all that unreasonable.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; February 8, 2012 at 09:55am.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Wow, I just checked mine and - it broke too! A REAL shame ...

IMAG0249.jpg

Devourer of Souls Barron Gagnat's Avatar
    Why didn't they use the same material as on King Hiss' snake arms instead?
    More than three shakes and you're playing with yourself
    My collection: http://s511.photobucket.com/albums/s...%20Collection/
    My wanted-list: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...64#post1999764

This line is just losing it.....2012 is a terrible year so far!

Ah ****, just checked mine, and it is also torn.