Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: WARNING: Snout Spout's trunk breaks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sallah View Post
    Here's how I foresee the response (if any) to this-

Uh-oh folks! It looks like mean old Hordak is causing Snout Spout to crack under the pressure! Well, an elephant never forgets so Hordak better watch his back from now on! Don't worry folks- We have heard your complaints and will look into this problem!

Followed by them ignoring it for months in the hopes that we will all forget about it while looking at shiny new pictures of upcoming figures.

Sallah

Bwahahahahahaha! Brilliant.

I have my Snout Spout in a spraying pose, so I'm terrified to even check if it's cracked. Oi....

Heroic Warrior
    No surprise here!!!! Not for nothing BUT, Did we as fans request that Snout Spouts trunk be flexible? I would have been happy with a soft/solid plastic trunk. I knew that this wire in foam would end up being a problem.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    I figured they had tested this, but they didn't bother with the long-term test.
    This is in no way intended as a call-out statement, but can we really consider 3 months of consumer life "long-term"? If we were talking 3 years then maybe, but 3 months?

Kinda makes you wonder how Hssss has managed to survive his first year. (Not that he isn't without his own controversies & issues.)

Long Live MOTU!!!!
    Now & Forever!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sallah View Post
    Here's how I foresee the response (if any) to this-

Uh-oh folks! It looks like mean old Hordak is causing Snout Spout to crack under the pressure! Well, an elephant never forgets so Hordak better watch his back from now on! Don't worry folks- We have heard your complaints and will look into this problem!
    Followed one week later by a lenghty explanation including:

Hey collectors. Yes it's true, Snout Spout's trunk cracks when bent for too long. But you still can get a replacement (just make sure not to bend that one's trunk, too, haha)! And we gotta mention that the figure totally didn't do that when we checked production samples for any flaws. By the way, did we mention that if we didn't check them out back then, your Snout Spout's ears would've fallen off? Ain't it awesome that we caught that one, at least? Anyway, our world class research facility is looking into making sure this won't happen on any other figures with bendy stuff anymore, like Sssqueeze (if we ever get to him). Speaking of unanounced stuff, we just got our first sample of Granamyr! Check him out, ain't he awesome? And guess what, by chance we also just got word that the Horsemen are working on a certain fan-favorite human battering ram coming in 2013! See, we do care about you fans! So long, folks!

Sorry for the sarcasm. I really appreciate that we have this toyline. And I can understand that stuff like this can happen on such a small line that's pretty much more of a prestigè project for Mattel than something that's making them tons of money. But from all these quality issues, I get the feeling as if "for the adult collector" in Mattel speech means "stuff that's not just more expensive but also more fragile than any of our kids toys".
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Heroic Warrior
    Well, yeah... I told you all that BENDY PARTS ARE VERY FRAGILE, didn't I ? Now, you've got proof ! We received Snout Spout 3 months ago, and there are already cracks in his bendable trunk !?

From now on, we must DEMAND that Matty won't use bendy parts anymore, and will find a better solution !

Taken for the ass, once again... World class, Mattel... World class !!!

So shouldn't we ask the original poster how much pressure he applied to the trunk before it broke? I mean come on, apply enough pressure to ANY of the figures and it will get damaged...

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    From now on, we must DEMAND that Matty won't use bendy parts anymore, and will find a better solution !
    Mattel did produce Snake Crush Skeletor with bendy arms which I bent heavily on mine and which are still perfectly fine. Heck, my 26 year old Sssqueeze still bends without any problems at all!
    The whole technique has been done for ages, it's up for Mattel to get it done with the right materials like they did before.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

My Marvel Legends Doc Ock has zero damage to his tentacles, and they're basically the same design as Snout Spout's trunk. Hell, tons of figures use the same design without flaw.

don't worry. they won't make this mistake again.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry75 View Post
    So shouldn't we ask the original poster how much pressure he applied to the trunk before it broke? I mean come on, apply enough pressure to ANY of the figures and it will get damaged...
    i agree. let's question the OP. after all, matty doesn't have a long record of QC issues...
    Last edited by EldestSon; February 7, 2012 at 05:59pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Heroic Warrior
    Mattel did produce Snake Crush Skeletor with bendy arms which I bent heavily on mine and which are still perfectly fine. Heck, my 26 year old Sssqueeze still bends without any problems at all!
    The whole technique has been done for ages, it's up for Mattel to get it done with the right materials like they did before.
    Yeah, sure... But it wasn't a cheap ass, tiny, insignificant line like MOTUC, with almost no budget to fund it (that's what TG refers to all the time, so please don't get all upset) ! With MOTUC, we got 2 sorry bendy items : the lame, thin and unimpressive Hssss's torso (very fragile, you can even feel the snakes "moving" around the metal wires if you move the snakes) and Snout Spout (breaking trunk... need I say more ?).

Of course, the "very smart" people can still request bendy parts for more bad quality figures (I guess they must have plenty of money to spend on sub-par items)... but it is now very clear that another solution would be much better ! No more bendy parts in MOTUC for me, thank you !
    Last edited by Prahvus; February 7, 2012 at 06:05pm.

I should check on mine when I hit home... I'm mad, but all I can do now is laugh!
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    Mine was split in the package when he arrived - posted about it here months ago. And Matty had NONE for replacement. I still don't own a snout spout and scott has never addressed why qc stock for him was not held back...
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?

Must be that pesky sonic welder again.

A new villain- Sonic Wel-dor!

Just checked on mine: I have him posed with the trunk slightly bent and it's been that way since I got him. No breakage here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    it's up for Mattel to get it done with the right materials like they did before.
    ... you mean like actual plastic instead of painted cow dung

I mean really, the sculpts are the only thing decent about this line, all the rest is inept and worthless. I wish they'd just licence them out to the 4H, at least they take pride in their work and in the product they put out.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    No surprise here!!!! Not for nothing BUT, Did we as fans request that Snout Spouts trunk be flexible? I would have been happy with a soft/solid plastic trunk. I knew that this wire in foam would end up being a problem.
    It's all the fans' fault.

Unrealistic requests & playing with their toys too much. Best to just keep it all in the box. No - best to keep it all in your head.

BTW - this thread is hilarious - in the blackest sense, of course.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    I was aware of the "trunk breaking risk" (thanks Pixel Dan) so I never moved the trunk, but I did the same with Goddess (never touched the legs) and she broke anyway...

Matty, never, never use the foam material again!!!
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

Heroic Warrior
    I don't have a Snout Spout so I don't know for sure. But the nose looks like to be foam type material. Give it a little crazy glue and bent other way to close the gap for a day a or so. It will be fully functional except for the crack line. it will still be flexible afterwards.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    Followed one week later by a lenghty explanation including:

Hey collectors. Yes it's true, Snout Spout's trunk cracks when bent for too long. But you still can get a replacement (just make sure not to bend that one's trunk, too, haha)! And we gotta mention that the figure totally didn't do that when we checked production samples for any flaws. By the way, did we mention that if we didn't check them out back then, your Snout Spout's ears would've fallen off? Ain't it awesome that we caught that one, at least? Anyway, our world class research facility is looking into making sure this won't happen on any other figures with bendy stuff anymore, like Sssqueeze (if we ever get to him). Speaking of unanounced stuff, we just got our first sample of Granamyr! Check him out, ain't he awesome? And guess what, by chance we also just got word that the Horsemen are working on a certain fan-favorite human battering ram coming in 2013! See, we do care about you fans! So long, folks!

Sorry for the sarcasm. I really appreciate that we have this toyline. And I can understand that stuff like this can happen on such a small line that's pretty much more of a prestigè project for Mattel than something that's making them tons of money. But from all these quality issues, I get the feeling as if "for the adult collector" in Mattel speech means "stuff that's not just more expensive but also more fragile than any of our kids toys".
    SPOT ON!

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    Yeah, sure... But it wasn't a cheap ass, tiny, insignificant line like MOTUC, with almost no budget to fund it (that's what TG refers to all the time, so please don't get all upset) ! With MOTUC, we got 2 sorry bendy items : the lame, thin and unimpressive Hssss's torso (very fragile, you can even feel the snakes "moving" around the metal wires if you move the snakes) and Snout Spout (breaking trunk... need I say more ?).

Of course, the "very smart" people can still request bendy parts for more bad quality figures (I guess they must have plenty of money to spend on sub-par items)... but it is now very clear that another solution would be much better ! No more bendy parts in MOTUC for me, thank you !
    I can't completely agree on Hssss. While I don't think his execution was optimal, he's managed to survive nearly 4 time longer than Snout Spout's trunk has for some unfortunate folks.

I've had 2 out on my shelf since March of last year, 1 Factory Issue & 1 to which I grafted 10 additional Long Bendy Snakes (keeping the plastic "anchors") & 10 additional Small Non-Bendy Snakes. All of the Bendy Snakes have remained quite pliable & functional despite fairly regular repositioning. In spite of my intial scepticism, I'd have to say that Hssss was held up pretty well.

Long Live MOTU!!!!
    Now & Forever!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    In spite of my intial scepticism, I'd have to say that Hssss was held up pretty well.
    Yep. Let's now pray that his rubbery snakes won't rot or get moldy, and that the metal wires won't come through it... But I must agree with you : Snout Spout seems much more fragile than Hssss. The bottom line is the same, though : no more bendy parts for me.

I knew something like this would happen with such soft material. This is specifically why I haven't bent it in any particular direction drastically. They should have just gone with a solid, sculpted trunk that doesn't bend.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    I knew something like this would happen with such soft material. This is specifically why I haven't bent it in any particular direction drastically. They should have just gone with a solid, sculpted trunk that doesn't bend.
    Sure, why bother with any articulation when the design is clearly impossible to get right?
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

I always thought that they should have made his trunk out of hard plastic, but telescopic (each section could fit into another piece at one end and over another piece at the other end), so that it had movement.

I had a feeling once I had mine in hand that would happen. I have a feeling if it doesn't happen to stress, these will dry rot fast. I wish I had the time, resources and talent to make resin molds for multi-link trunks, like those wooden snakes at zoo gift shops, to replace this cheap foam one. Or even better a jointed one using the glyos system.
    Last edited by Southzen; February 7, 2012 at 07:17pm.