Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: WARNING: Snout Spout's trunk breaks!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    A snark-free apology, maybe?
    That's what pees people off the most. He seems to enjoy adding salt into the wound.

Beasts were made to kill Mamblo's Avatar
    For the Create A Character contest I was actually planning this figure HEROIC MASTER OF UNTOUCHABLENESS:
    Sount Spout head (with foam trunk) + Hordak VAC Metal amror (with flaking gold) + Green Goddes legs joint + king hsss reversed shoulder.

What else?
    Last edited by Mamblo; February 9, 2012 at 09:04am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamblo View Post
    For the Create A Character contest I was actually planning this figure HEROIC MASTER OF UNTOUCHABLENESS:
    Sount Spout head (with foam trunk) + Hordak VAC Metal amror (with flaking gold) + Green Goddes legs joint + king hsss reversed shoulder.

What else?
    Don't forget to give him loose ankles! And I know it's a different line, but you could always make the main body out of foam that'll yellow in three months. Oh and give him a clear plastic part somewhere, I dunno, maybe a chest piece that'll be pre-cracked so it arrives looking like it's been stomped on.

Did I get everything?

Quote Originally Posted by Exinferis View Post
    Don't forget to give him loose ankles! And I know it's a different line, but you could always make the main body out of foam that'll yellow in three months. Oh and give him a clear plastic part somewhere, I dunno, maybe a chest piece that'll be pre-cracked so it arrives looking like it's been stomped on.

Did I get everything?
    The 200x line might have less articualtions but they are still in perfect shape even if they are not intended for adults.

The 200x line might have less articualtions but they are still in perfect shape even if they are not intended for adults.
    Maybe that's the problem? Because these are aimed at adults rather than children Mattel assume we're not actually going to touch them so they think using sub-standard materials is fine? When making toys for kids they have to be robust enough to pass the stringent safety tests. Maybe because these are marketed as "Adult Collectables" those tests aren't undertaken because they don't need to be? Maybe it's another cost-cutting exercise? Would certainly explain why my "Adult Collectables" from Mattycollector are falling apart whilst my "For ages 5+" toys are all fine.

Just a thought!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I'm a little curious about people WANT him to post?
    Mistakes happen... it sucks... Like goddess, Hiss, and now Spout... it's an entirely new problem that has never broken on the MOTUC line before... and they'll probably not do it again...
    The best they can offer.
    That's just it: it isn't the best they can offer. Not by a LONG SHOT. When there were problems with the Four Horsemen's figures (the elephant wave) consisting of loose joints and such, they went back into production and offered to replace the substandard figures, likely taking a big hit for a small independent company. And, honestly, the problems weren't bad enough for me to take them up on the offer; I've got looser joints on some of the mainstream figures I've bought. But the response on defective product from the world's largest toy maker? "Oooopsie, sorry, this is your Snouty. You can return it and never have another Snout Spout in your collection. Now look at the shiny new figures we show you and forget all about it." They wouldn't even have to remake an entire figure; offer an alternate head (much like Mezco did in their Hellboy 2 line for Mr. Wink, who had nothing wrong with him except that the head wasn't 100% accurate to the film) with a trunk made from different material. That would be an action to help the majorly frazzled relations they have with their customer base right now, and might do a little to stave off the nigh inevitable major drop in subs coming after SDCC this year.

Yes, things happen, and mistakes get made. How those mistakes are dealt with is what counts, and Mattel couldn't fail more miserably in that respect. Actions count; excuses don't, and the latter is all we get from Mattel. They not only have NO respect for us, they have no respect for themselves as a company or for their reputation.
    Last edited by scott metzger; February 9, 2012 at 09:31am.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    What a bummer to hear this is happening. Mine was somewhat bent and I checked it. He looks okay but I unbent the trunk into a neutral position to avoid any further strain.
    This is what I did as well, he has some paint wrinkles but we knew that'd happen from PD's review.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Exinferis View Post
    Maybe that's the problem? Because these are aimed at adults rather than children Mattel assume we're not actually going to touch them so they think using sub-standard materials is fine? When making toys for kids they have to be robust enough to pass the stringent safety tests. Maybe because these are marketed as "Adult Collectables" those tests aren't undertaken because they don't need to be? Maybe it's another cost-cutting exercise? Would certainly explain why my "Adult Collectables" from Mattycollector are falling apart whilst my "For ages 5+" toys are all fine.

Just a thought!
    That's not really fair then, we don't get spiky, sharp objects in motuc because of safety for kids (even though it's an ADULT line you only get ONLINE and you have to be over 18 to purchase).

It's only fair that we get them strong enough to withstand a child's play.

If we get the disadvantages, we better get the benefits.

but nooooo that's not the matty way!, getting your hopes up for a replacement figure, only to get told that you'll lose 10$ 'cause there are no more figures left, now THAT'S the matty way.
    When it comes to She-ra Princess of Power characters, FILMATION is the way to go!.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Romer View Post
    That's not really fair then, we don't get spiky, sharp objects in motuc because of safety for kids (even though it's an ADULT line you only get ONLINE and you have to be over 18 to purchase).
    It's only fair that we get them strong enough to withstand a child's play.
    Point is, Mattel has stated that these toys have to meet ALL the standards any of their other toys meet to comply with safety regulations. It doesn't matter if it's aimed at adults, it's still something the average person would consider a child's toy, and that's basically the legal standard. The problem here sin't that Mattel is making substandard product for adults; read any of the oodles of posts on the net a bout Monster High figures falling apart within 24 hours of the kid getting them because of cheap plastic for joints and a cheesey piece of elastic barely holding the hips together?

Our problem isn't that the MOTUC figures don't meet the same standards as the other toys Mattel makes; our problem is that they DO.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic ursine warrior sailoruranus's Avatar
    From my perspective, the MOTUC figures are WAY sturdier than the 200X figures. I think I went through 4-5 Jungle He-Mans because the leg kept breaking. Drop a MOTUC figure (other than Snout Spout, Hurricane Hordak, or the Goddess) on the floor, and they'll be fine.

Wow, I just checked mine and - it broke too! A REAL shame ...

IMAG0249.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Point is, Mattel has stated that these toys have to meet ALL the standards any of their other toys meet to comply with safety regulations. It doesn't matter if it's aimed at adults, it's still something the average person would consider a child's toy, and that's basically the legal standard. The problem here sin't that Mattel is making substandard product for adults; read any of the oodles of posts on the net a bout Monster High figures falling apart within 24 hours of the kid getting them because of cheap plastic for joints and a cheesey piece of elastic barely holding the hips together?
    If they are going to make them safe enough for kids, they better make them strong enough for kids, it's not fair mattel keeps screwing us every chance it gets.

And I didn't read about monster high breaking by just looking at them, but I don't read about anything at all monster high related.
    When it comes to She-ra Princess of Power characters, FILMATION is the way to go!.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    While I hope for a real solution to this (i.e. corrected replacement head), I'm not holding my breath. Sadly, I'm taking matters into my own hands here (even though right now the head on my Snout Spout is okay... so far). I just bought an extra Snout Spout staction from ebay (for a pretty good price, too... it was just under $20 including shipping), and plan to customize the head to fit on the classics body as some others have done.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I'm glad I left my trunk limp. I always hated foam parts on toys for this reason as well as the aesthetic as the paint and texture never match the rest of the plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Romer View Post
    Indeed. And yet... they seem to be allowed to use plastic that often has a weird oily film on it... not the sort of thing you want your baby sticking in its mouth.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    Silly vocal minority, its your fault for pulling on it and actually going looking for faults. you're meant to ignore that and kiss mattels feet
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Yes, things happen, and mistakes get made. How those mistakes are dealt with is what counts, and Mattel couldn't fail more miserably in that respect. Actions count; excuses don't, and the latter is all we get from Mattel. They not only have NO respect for us, they have no respect for themselves as a company or for their reputation.
    EXACTLY. This is the number ONE reason I'm out. I really wanted Scott to see that someone who spent nearly $5000 on these toys is GONE, NEVER TO RETURN, and not just with MOTUC. I'll never buy another Mattel toy, period. MAYBE that will be enough to get SOMEBODY'S attention at Mattel, and get them to make some positive changes for those who stay with the line.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

Classics Snout Spout trunk: lasts 26 days. Vintage Snout Spout trunk: lasts 26 years and still going strong.

At least we can use spare heads to make him a generic Eternian fireman.

I opened 3 Snout Spouts and all of them immediately show this darn stress marks. This is why i vote for baddest figure 2011 (not the design but for the QC !! ). I do not understand why Mattel hasnīt used simple gray hard plastic ??
    http://killersha.deviantart.com/ Find all my MotU pics in the gallery !!

MOTUC want list :
    - SAUROD
    - TWISTOID / ROTAR
    - HE-SLAVE
    - CAMO KHAN
    - INDIAN FAKER

I hate this character in general, but that trunk looks like it was made out of cheap packing material. This is turning into another "oops, they did it again" thread. Like it or not TG, this is becoming so routine we (at least I) expect it. Our goal/slogan for this year should be "no more excuses, no more apologies".

Best new meme of the year: "Banana Peels and Old Cardboard"
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoward View Post
    I've had mine bent in an L-shape since I got him. No cracks or anything. Still looks good as new.
    That's the way much of us left him in and...CRACK, RIP, TEAR!

Quote Originally Posted by Sha View Post
    I opened 3 Snout Spouts and all of them immediately show this darn stress marks. This is why i vote for baddest figure 2011 (not the design but for the QC !! ). I do not understand why Mattel hasnīt used simple gray hard plastic ??
    Cause again they went with a action feature in a line that we were told that wouldn't! Like I said in another post. They could have at least did what they did with Hsss's arms, despite the issues with the paint in it!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Heroic Warrior
    I'm happy to say my trunk is limp with a slight bend to it.

LOL!!!!!!!

O.T. I hope Sorceress wings won't have any issue, being the wing pieces so many I have a bad feeling about that.

O.T. I hope Sorceress wings won't have any issue, being the wing pieces so many I have a bad feeling about that.
    Expect tthem to be warped by the packaging. Hot water will probably fix it though. They aren't made of toilet-paper based foam.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post
    OMG! That's right! I wonder how he (Stay Puft) is holding up now? Anyone having his starting to crack and what not?
    Well, I have my Stay Puft as display only and he has started to yellow on his shoulders. I'll check on Snout Spout which I have not touched since I opened him up when I get home from work.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!