Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: WARNING: Snout Spout's trunk breaks!

The problem is that Mattel did go cheap on the material used for the snout. Why they decided to use foam to begin with is beyond me? Like another posted, they should have used the plastic like King Hsss. It's more resistant and durable. Plus you don't have to worry about it rotting just by letting it sit out. I guess now I will have to find a 200X Staction or hope someone is able to maybe make a custom spout that one can replace this one for!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Quote Originally Posted by Sallah View Post
    Here's how I foresee the response (if any) to this-

Uh-oh folks! It looks like mean old Hordak is causing Snout Spout to crack under the pressure! Well, an elephant never forgets so Hordak better watch his back from now on! Don't worry folks- We have heard your complaints and will look into this problem!

Followed by them ignoring it for months in the hopes that we will all forget about it while looking at shiny new pictures of upcoming figures.

Sallah
    LMFAO; sad thing is it's probably true. I haven't even had a chance to open mine yet, since I deployed after I got him, but I had no intention of using that head anyway since I am slapping on Icarius's alternate head on him.

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
    So glad I put the 200X station head on mine.
    PROBLEM SOLVED!!! That 200X Staction head is by far the best mod for this figure. Better material and better design.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post
    I guess now I will have to find a 200X Staction or hope someone is able to maybe make a custom spout that one can replace this one for!
    More than likely, the 200X Staction will be the better choice because it's going to be more durable than a custom head.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Quote Originally Posted by PPC View Post
    It is very unfortunate that another figure has to join the Goddess and Hurricane Hordak with the "crumbling to pieces" action feature. I left mine unposed after watching Pixel Dan's video, so I've had no problems so far. Who here wants to bet that the trunk and loin cloth on this figure will be dry rotted by this time next year?
    they need to ban Vac and foam from this line lol

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sorceress View Post
    they need to ban Vac and foam from this line lol

This x 1000- as well as any other kind of bells and whistles that could lead to such an awful QC fail. Now I worry the frosted style paint they are using on Fros....oh ooops I mean yeah.

Whats wrong with frosted paint?
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Heroic Razor-Edged Weapon Sword-of-Grayskull's Avatar
    The question is, how far is considered far enough to break? My Snout Spout has the lower third of his trunk bent at about a thirty-degree angle for the past month. Do I need to worry about this? The only way I'll know is with trial and error, because Mattel sure-as-heck isn't going to admit to screwing this one up.
    "I look upon my powers as a gift, not mine alone but for anyone who needs them." (Superman: Peace on Earth)

GO FORWARD. Please support the Christopher Reeve Foundation by purchasing a set of Superman tags at www.ChristopherReeve.org

If nine hundred He-Man.Org members get eaten by Thundercats fans, but neither of them has a toyline, does it still count as a fan movement?

Quote Originally Posted by Sword-of-Grayskull View Post
    The question is, how far is considered far enough to break? My Snout Spout has the lower third of his trunk bent at about a thirty-degree angle for the past month. Do I need to worry about this? The only way I'll know is with trial and error, because Mattel sure-as-heck isn't going to admit to screwing this one up.
    Nah they're blame Pixel Dan, Fwoosh and others cause you know, they're the official toy testers! And well they just didn't tell them soon enough! Oh wait! They got the figures a week before sale date! Nope! Still their fault!

Besides, who decided on to use this material material instead of the material already used for Hsss? Seriously! That's a question Toyguru should be able to answer! Cause that person needs to be reprimanded for a bad decision!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post
    Nah they're blame Pixel Dan, Fwoosh and others cause you know, they're the official toy testers! And well they just didn't tell them soon enough! Oh wait! They got the figures a week before sale date! Nope! Still their fault!

Besides, who decided on to use this material material instead of the material already used for Hsss? Seriously! That's a question Toyguru should be able to answer! Cause that person needs to be reprimanded for a bad decision!
    I hated King Hss's material. The paint never really dries on mine and it collects dust. The jaws stick to the hinge and yeah, not a great choice of plastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    I hated King Hss's material. The paint never really dries on mine and it collects dust. The jaws stick to the hinge and yeah, not a great choice of plastic.
    But paint is a bit easier to deal with than disintegrating foam.

When I saw this thead. I tweeted a image and info to The Four Horsemen. They tweeted back that they were glad I informed them of it. Maybe they might be able to have input in selecting materials or something so something like this doesn't happen again.

Also I decided and bought a Snout Spout Staction. Only $9.99 for it! SWEET!

Oh, might I add! Always best to check your Snout Spout in decent lighting! Squeeze it gently and check it for any issues that you might feel is worrisome. After all, it could mean life or death for your Snout Spout!
    Last edited by Marvelous0ne; February 8, 2012 at 06:04am.

Just got home and checked the Snout Spout on my display shelf.....
    Sho'Nuff! The material is torn right in the middle in the one slight curve I posed it in. The trunk is torn all the way to the inner wire.
    I posed the figure the day I opened it and it has been sitting on a shelf untouched ever since. I'm not gonna totally lose my $@#&! over it. It's unfortunate and I'm disappointed by it.
    I'm at a point that I no longer wish to purchase 2 of every figure/item they produce. Once the 2012 subs run their course I'm backing my support off by half. Sorry Matty, but as a fellow toy maker I can't abide by a toy that breaks itself in less than 90 days just by sitting in an idle and static position. snout.jpg
    Last edited by Brian-Man; February 8, 2012 at 06:48am.
    Up, Up, & Away!
    The Amazing Brian-Man of SpyMonkey Creations Inc.
    President & Founder of the Plundor Appreciation League

Sorry to hear it man, thats how my bros went. He just posed it and thats all. It's crazy to tthink that this stuff just splits at the slightest bend. He actually wants to cast the trunk in a flexible plastic and replace the foam one... That can work right?
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Heroic Warrior
    So where exactly is Toyguru?

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    Sorry to hear it man, thats how my bros went. He just posed it and thats all. It's crazy to tthink that this stuff just splits at the slightest bend. He actually wants to cast the trunk in a flexible plastic and replace the foam one... That can work right?
    I was thinking about that. Casting a resin one anyway. Not really a big fan of the bendy gimmick honestly.
    When we re-opened on Friday we were messing around with some customs and Jeremy replaced the head on his Snout Spout with one from a Staction. It looks really dang cool. So I may just go that route if I can find an inexpensive Staction to cannibalize.
    Up, Up, & Away!
    The Amazing Brian-Man of SpyMonkey Creations Inc.
    President & Founder of the Plundor Appreciation League

Has anyone tried supergluing it yet? I've found sometimes superglue can melt through soft foamy type materials so I'd be reluctant to try it till someone else has tested it lol.

Cambridge, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    Gutted to hear about this issue. I need to check mine next time I'm up at my folks' place (which is currently where all my figures live). I just have mine very slightly posed in a naturally curved hanging down position (wait, are we sure we're talking about trunks, here?), so hopefully it's not too much of an issue...

There's always SOMETHING, isn't there?

Right, cue the bios and in-package pics for Stinkor, Slush-Head and the Griffon!
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!

Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    He's probably sleeping right now. But keep reading the bios! LOL!

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Well, thankfully my Snout Spout is fine. I never did bend or pose his trunk in any way, and I have no intention to now after seeing this. I was concerned because even though I never moved his trunk, he hasn't been standing on the shelf, but rather has been in storage laying down on his back, so I wasn't sure what that would do to the trunk, but thankfully it's fine. The one thing that I did notice in looking at it under the light is that there are some wrinkles here and there in the outer material of the trunk, so that really isn't a great sign of the longevity of the trunk, even if not bent at all.

What a mess. Basically this is another Goddess situation. But I'm sure they'll hem and haw over a solution, and finally offer a refund way after the fact in exchange for returning the figure and having a bit hole in people's collections. Both Goddess and Snout Spout need to get a new run and should be replaced for free.... even to people who haven't yet had breakages because frankly they are inevitable with these figures. I don't care if MOTUC is a small line with minimal resources. This is a customer service issue, and Mattel overall is a large company with a lot of resources. They can afford to "reallocate" some additional resources to this line to take care of their customers and take a slight hit financially for a while. Something more needs to be done than the "solutions" that we have been offered in the past for things like this.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Eternian Music Master mikethedrummer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post

In before someone says their MOC Snout Spout is fine.
    Another reason why I keep mine MOC. This sucks.
    PS3 contact: InfernoSkeletor
    mikethedrummer's feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=181087

So how may SnoutSpout breakages were reported so far? Does anybody keep track of how many figures a affected by this problem? Is it really a Green Goddess scale or is this just few figs? (sorry I did not have time to read throug the whole thread)

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    After seen Pixel Dan's video, I didn't pose Snout Spout's Snout at all out of fear it would get stress marks. To see breakage from a static pose in a mere 3 months is ridiculous. Mattel is using cheap plastic materials that get fungus on the plastic and which discolors fast. Now foam that breaks in just a few months and not to mention yellows! Dry rotting is the next step of the dirt cheap foam... I'm crossing fingers for the very pliable rubber plastic pants, loincloths and capes and hope those won't crack and dry rot

I get to see and enjoy my MOTUC figures after a month of receiving them because they always smell horrible when I receive them. They come from the hot delivery truck which makes the plastic release a strong odor. I have to air the figures out for a month over the cool airco vent in the hobby room before I can display them. Right now Demo-Man, BG Evil Lynn, the Star Sisters, Vigo and RTBY Peter Venkman are all chilling out. It's crowded down there!

I never had to air any other figures made from other toy companies that I bought brand new. All recent toys that I bought are fine which are; Hasbro G.I.Joe, Star Wars, Marvel Universe, NECA Predators, Terminator, Bandai ThunderCats, Jakks Pacific Pirates of the Caribbean, Spin Master Tron Legacy, Jazwares A-Team,
    but ALL of Mattel's figures; MOTUC, Ghostbusters, DCUC, need to be aired out because they smell so bad. Something fishy is going on with Mattel's materials...

If Granymir is made out of foam, I will NOT buy him period. I love Dragons and am super anxious and excited for Granymir to be released, but I will not pay hard earned money for cheap materials which go to waste in mere months!

The huge SDCC 2011 Ghostbusters Stay Puft Marshmallow Man costing $80 + s&h is made of cheap foam as well, it is already yellowing for some people. I wanted one really bad, but when I saw he was made out of foam, I passed b/c of how cheap the material really is and $80 sounded like a rip off for a cheaply produced foam doll.
    IMG_0772.jpg
    6808701809_904e4a7676_m.jpg
    Last edited by synthalus; February 8, 2012 at 09:06am.
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Hunga the Harpy, Dragstor, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Blast-Attak, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn
    => MOTU-Classics-Checklist <=

I love that new toy smell lol!

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    I love that new toy smell lol!
    Get your new toy smell right here folks!
    Gotta love that chemical odor!
    You'll receive a headache free of charge!
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Hunga the Harpy, Dragstor, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Blast-Attak, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn
    => MOTU-Classics-Checklist <=

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    You mean Scott? "I refuse to call him by his self appointed nickname Toyguru" That kind of thing tends to bloat ones ego. I'm sure he will look into it and send the matter off to Mattel's WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY!!!

Stay tuned!
    Last edited by mick4metal; February 8, 2012 at 09:24am.
    SKELETOR'S JOURNEY: You heard of Skeletor, Skeleteen and now Skelebaby? The saga of Skeletor's chronology to be continued in 2014. Stay tuned!!!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightcraw View Post
    I don't have a Snout Spout so I don't know for sure. But the nose looks like to be foam type material. Give it a little crazy glue and bent other way to close the gap for a day a or so. It will be fully functional except for the crack line. it will still be flexible afterwards.
    Until it cracks somewhere else...

But here's some perspective for you: if you think Snout Spout owners are having it bad, what does this mean for poor owners of Swamp Thing? His skin was "tested" with presumably the same rigor as Snouty's spout. And his WHOLE BODY is made of the new, dynamic material.

It really is pathetic, though. My Snouty from the 80's is still fine. Heck, I have a Callisto from the Matt Mason line I got in the early 70's whose wires and rubber are still intact. Same with a bunch of Big Jim figures and their rubbery, 40 year old bulging biceps. I mean, rubber with a wire in it isn't exactly a new, unproven technique; Mattel's first action figure line ever was basically a line of bendies. What the hey happened? Now they can't even do half century old production procedure right?
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman