Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2012 - 2013 College Football Thread

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Hey, I'm excited about kick-off being one hundred days away and that's too far away, but it's okay for you to be excited about the friggin' 2015 and 2016 schedules being released?!!!

At least I'll get to see my season. If the Mayans are right, the 2015 and 2016 schedules don't mean squat.
    Umm yah. that didn't sound right as I typed it out. My point....hmmm.........I think the point......I think the intent was even though I'm not jacked about football season at the moment I do have a tid bit of news.

Plus I never said I was excited for the 2015 and/or the 2016 schedule. HA! gotcha!

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    Umm yah. that didn't sound right as I typed it out. My point....hmmm.........I think the point......I think the intent was even though I'm not jacked about football season at the moment I do have a tid bit of news.

Plus I never said I was excited for the 2015 and/or the 2016 schedule. HA! gotcha!
    If you weren't excited then you wouldn't have posted it. Toooooooo late! Gotcha back!

Heroic Warrior

Sounds to me like the flurry of wanna-be-Vice-president politicians that are insisting they don't want to be Vice-president.

Look, I could be wrong, but I can't imagine the Big 12 would turn away Florida or Clemson. For what Earthly reason? Maybe because they don't want to increase viewership and revenues? We'll see.

I think the Notre Dame point, with regard to the way a Conference Championship Season is starting to shape up is a good point. The genie's out of the bottle on this one and in five years, maybe less, there will be a whole Conference Championship Season (please, Lord!) with the top two teams, maybe, (or at least the conference champs) in each conference playing to determine who gets to play in the National Championship game. Teams like Notre Dame will have no choice but to join a conference...and why not?
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; June 1, 2012 at 11:06am.

Look, I could be wrong, but I can't imagine the Big 12 would turn away Florida or Clemson. For what Earthly reason? Maybe because they don't want to increase viewership and revenues? We'll see.

I think the Notre Dame point, with regard to the way a Conference Championship Season is starting to shape up is a good point. The genie's out of the bottle on this one and in five years, maybe less, there will be a whole Conference Championship Season (please, Lord!) with the top two teams, maybe, (or at least the conference champs) in each conference playing to determine who gets to play in the National Championship game. Teams like Notre Dame will have no choice but to join a conference...and why not?
    I think the Big 12 will add a pair of teams in the near future. Probably before the start of the 2013 season. I just can't see the conference passing on all of that big conference title game money, and they need 12 teams to have a title game.

Plus, having a conference title game would put them on par with the 5 other BCS conferences, which will be important when the Final Four playoff teams are picked at the end of the season. If the 6 BCS conferences all produce champions with equal resumes, but the Big 12 champ is the only one that didn't have to win a conference title game, they'll be the first team removed from consideration. My early money is on Florida State and Miami.

If Notre Dame doesn't want to become even more irrelevant to the national title picture, they need to join a conference. The bigger and stronger the major conferences get, the harder it'll be for an independent/at-large team to put together a resume that will earn a playoff spot. Beating the service academies isn't going to cut it. I'd be on the phone with the Big 12 if I were ND.

"The current poll-based system is flawed(?)." No. Reeeeeeeeeeeeeally?!

Btw, ksensor, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I hearby nominate you as President of the BCS. You know your football, dude.

Heroic Warrior
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...layQ.jr8gcvrYF

I'm really begining to lose track of who wants what.

There doesn't seem to be a clear choice.

Do the school's Presidents, chancelors & conference commissioners know what they're getting into? Not to me they do.

The BCS commissioners have officially endorsed a four-team playoff model. On June 26th, the BCS presidential oversight committee will meet and potentially approve the commissioners' recommendation.

BCS Commissioners Reach Consensus on Four-Team College Football Playoff

If approved, we're looking at...
    - 4-team playoff
    - seeded match-ups (1 vs 4, 2 vs 3)
    - 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 games played at current BCS sites (on a rotation)
    - championship game hosted by the highest bidding city each year
    - top 4 teams selected by committee
    - selection committee would take into account winning your conference championship and strength of schedule

The playoff system would start in the 2014 season, making this coming fall the last BCS season. Finally.

Quote Originally Posted by ksensor View Post
    The BCS commissioners have officially endorsed a four-team playoff model. On June 26th, the BCS presidential oversight committee will meet and potentially approve the commissioners' recommendation.

BCS Commissioners Reach Consensus on Four-Team College Football Playoff

If approved, we're looking at...
    - 4-team playoff
    - seeded match-ups (1 vs 4, 2 vs 3)
    - 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 games played at current BCS sites (on a rotation)
    - championship game hosted by the highest bidding city each year
    - top 4 teams selected by committee
    - selection committee would take into account winning your conference championship and strength of schedule

The playoff system would start in the 2014 season, making this coming fall the last BCS season. Finally.
    As I've said before, it's a start...but only a start. The top four teams selected by a committee. Give me a break. How about the true play-off season competitors justifiably selected and qualified by winnng their conferences?!!!

Can you imagine if the NBA or MLB had a four-team play-off system, the teams selected by %#^#*% committee?! Or how about just four teams in the College Baseball Championships? Or just four teams in March Madness? Why can't NCAA Football bring itself to say BRAAAAAAAAACKETS?!!!

Isn't it obvious that each team from each conference deserves to play in a play-off season? What's the downside? Why not give Cinderella teams a shot? Why not re-organize the bowls so the play-offs between cnference winners are played there instead of two 7 & 6 teams playing against each other in the Ho-Hum Bowl? Here's a real simple question/litmus test for my fellow orger college football fans: What would you rather see -- two lower tier teams with barely winning records playing a sub-par game or two dynamite conference winners who are inspired by knowing they have a shot at the crown slugging it out?

I believe (hope) it will come some day. And on that glorious day when we get a true play-off season, everyone -- the teams, the players, the schools and the fans -- will, imo, all win.

And oh yeah, btw...GO BIG RED!
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; July 31, 2012 at 11:33pm.

As I've said before, it's a start...but only a start. The top four teams selected by a committee. Give me a break. How about the true play-off season competitors justifiably selected and qualified by winnng their conferences?!!!

Can you imagine if the NBA or MLB had a four-team play-off system, the teams selected by %#^#*% committee?! Or how about just four teams in the College Baseball Championships? Or just four teams in March Madness? Why can't NCAA Football bring itself to say BRAAAAAAAAACETS?!!!

Isn't it obvious that each team from each conference deserves to play in a play-off season? What's the downside? Why not give Cinderella teams a shot? Why not re-organize the bowls so the play-offs between cnference winners are played there instead of two 7 & 6 teams playing against each other in the Ho-Hum Bowl? Here's a real simple question/litmus test for my fellow orger college football fans: What would you rather see -- two lower tier teams with barely winning records playing a sub-par game or two dynamite conference winners who are inspired by knowing they have a shot at the crown slugging it out?

I believe (hope) it will come some day. And on that glorious day when we get a true play-off season, everyone -- the teams, the players, the schools and the fans -- will, imo, all win.

And oh yeah, btw...GO BIG RED!
    Agreed. To, you know, all of that. My hope, and what I honestly think will happen, is that the 4-team playoff will make so much money that there'll be no stopping expansion to 8 teams within a few years. Then the big discussion will be enlarging to 16, with the first round played at the higher seed's home stadium. I think (and hope hope hope) that's where we'll be in a few more seasons.

Apparently, the push for using a selection committee instead of computers came because a few people who were/are on the March Madness selection committee made a strong case to the BCS committee.

I'd like to know who's going to be on the selection committee, what their conference/school/personal affiliations are, and how many games they plan on watching. I don't want to hear about teams being picked or left out because "their games are played too late for the committee to watch", "the committee has strong ties to conference x" or "the AD at wherever gave this committee member his first job in football when he was coach at wherever". I hate that garbage.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, today's the day.

Presidents set to hear playoff pitch

The "BCS presidential oversight committee" are meeting. The committee is made up of each of the commissioner of each of the eleven Divsion IA (or FBS, if you prefer) conferences and Notre Dame. The meeting is scheduled from 3-6pm, but they've said it could run as late as 10pm. They are expected to stay as late as need to agree on a playoff plan.

- - - Updated - - -

Presidents approve college football playoff
    Finally, it's a reality: Presidents sign off on a four-team college football playoff system

PLAYOFFS! It might only be four teams, but it's still PLAYOFFS! 2014 can't get here fast enough

The BCS is finally, finally dead! Let the celebration begin!

Even the Nebraska fans are excited...

Last edited by ksensor; June 26, 2012 at 11:39pm.

Speaking of Nebraska, they've got new alt uniforms... thoughts?

Alt Nebraska uniforms were always black-and-white stripes as many Huskers players were only allowed out for weekend work release.

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Agreed. To, you know, all of that. My hope, and what I honestly think will happen, is that the 4-team playoff will make so much money that there'll be no stopping expansion to 8 teams within a few years. Then the big discussion will be enlarging to 16, with the first round played at the higher seed's home stadium. I think (and hope hope hope) that's where we'll be in a few more seasons.:
    I think this is what everyone wants. Let's hope it happens!

I never would have guessed, but I think I want to celebrate in Maryland...

I'm ordinarily not a Miami fan, but that's one awfully cute quartet of gals. I'd put it on my computer as my screen saver, but Kim would skin me alive -- not because of the girls, but the 'canes.

Agreed. To, you know, all of that. My hope, and what I honestly think will happen, is that the 4-team playoff will make so much money that there'll be no stopping expansion to 8 teams within a few years. Then the big discussion will be enlarging to 16, with the first round played at the higher seed's home stadium. I think (and hope hope hope) that's where we'll be in a few more seasons.

Apparently, the push for using a selection committee instead of computers came because a few people who were/are on the March Madness selection committee made a strong case to the BCS committee.

I'd like to know who's going to be on the selection committee, what their conference/school/personal affiliations are, and how many games they plan on watching. I don't want to hear about teams being picked or left out because "their games are played too late for the committee to watch", "the committee has strong ties to conference x" or "the AD at wherever gave this committee member his first job in football when he was coach at wherever". I hate that garbage.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, today's the day.

Presidents set to hear playoff pitch

The "BCS presidential oversight committee" are meeting. The committee is made up of each of the commissioner of each of the eleven Divsion IA (or FBS, if you prefer) conferences and Notre Dame. The meeting is scheduled from 3-6pm, but they've said it could run as late as 10pm. They are expected to stay as late as need to agree on a playoff plan.

- - - Updated - - -

Presidents approve college football playoff
    Finally, it's a reality: Presidents sign off on a four-team college football playoff system

PLAYOFFS! It might only be four teams, but it's still PLAYOFFS! 2014 can't get here fast enough

http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-conten...KANSAS-FAN.gif
    http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-conten...YLANDGIRLS.gif
    http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-conten...12/RAPTURE.gif
    http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-conten.../01/TOYOTA.gif
    http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-conten...E-MISS-FAN.gif

Even the Nebraska fans are excited...
    http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-conten...USKERS-FAN.gif

Heroic Warrior
    First of all Big Nebraska fan. Not to sure I like the new alt jersey.
    Second Nebraska has a basketball team they are called Creighton. Lol

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    I'm ordinarily not a Miami fan, but that's one awfully cute quartet of gals. I'd put it on my computer as my screen saver, but Kim would skin me alive -- not because of the girls, but the 'canes.
    I think those are actually Maryland fans (hence my previous comment). Their shirts actually say "Sucks to be [Miami] U". Plus, if you look closely (which I did ), they are wearing black and red beads amongst other stuff. And of course, the gif is called "drunkmarylandgirls", so there is that. So clearly your wife/gf should have no issue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    I think those are actually Maryland fans (hence my previous comment). Their shirts actually say "Sucks to be [Miami] U". Plus, if you look closely (which I did ), they are wearing black and red beads amongst other stuff. And of course, the gif is called "drunkmarylandgirls", so there is that. So clearly your wife/gf should have no issue with it.
    Huh. I totally did not pick up on it being Maryland fans. I think a lot of people did - where I found the gif, there were people mocking Miami fans for cheering when they were losing.

In any event, I like that gif. Because, you know, football and... stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    Ahhhh! Thanks for the heads-up. All I saw was the Miami logo. All the better. Now I don't have to worry about Kim skinning me.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; August 1, 2012 at 02:11pm.

Ahhhh! Thanks for the heads-up. All I saw was the Miami logo. All the better. Now I don't have to woprry about Kim skinning me.
    Assuming you can hold her off long enough to explain the backstory

Assuming you can hold her off long enough to explain the backstory
    Not to worry. My concerns were based on Miami; not the women wearing the jerseys. My Irish angel is the kind of gal that when we're in our local pub she'll call my attention to a young lady across the bar from us and coo "Isn't she gorgeous?" I always answer, "How can I flirt when you're showing me who to flirt with?" Confidence, I think, is really sexy.

Pre-Season Coaches' Poll is out: http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

1 LSU (18)
    2 Alabama (20)
    3 USC (19)
    4 Oklahoma
    5 Oregon
    6 Georgia
    7 Florida State
    8 Michigan
    9 South Carolina
    10 Arkansas

Top 10 by conference:
    5 - SEC
    2 - PAC-12
    1 - ACC
    1 - Big 10
    1 - Big 12

Top 25 by conference:
    7 - SEC
    6 - Big 12
    4 - Big 10
    3 - ACC
    3 - PAC-12
    1 - Mountain West
    1 - Independent

1 LSU (18)
    2 Alabama (20)
    3 USC (19)
    4 Oklahoma
    5 Oregon
    6 Georgia
    7 Florida State
    8 Michigan
    9 South Carolina
    10 Arkansas

Top 10 by conference:
    5 - SEC
    2 - PAC-12
    1 - ACC
    1 - Big 10
    1 - Big 12

Top 25 by conference:
    7 - SEC
    6 - Big 12
    4 - Big 10
    3 - ACC
    3 - PAC-12
    1 - Mountain West
    1 - Independent

Hey, hey! Kindly scroll down to #16 for Nebraska.

GO BIG RED!

1 LSU (18)
    2 Alabama (20)
    3 USC (19)
    4 Oklahoma
    5 Oregon
    6 Georgia
    7 Florida State
    8 Michigan
    9 South Carolina
    10 Arkansas

Top 10 by conference:
    5 - SEC
    2 - PAC-12
    1 - ACC
    1 - Big 10
    1 - Big 12

Top 25 by conference:
    7 - SEC
    6 - Big 12
    4 - Big 10
    3 - ACC
    3 - PAC-12
    1 - Mountain West
    1 - Independent
    Hey, hey! Kindly scroll down to #16 for Nebraska.

GO BIG RED!

Fixed it for you...

1 LSU (18)
    2 Alabama (20)
    3 USC (19)
    4 Oklahoma
    5 Oregon
    6 Georgia
    7 Florida State
    8 Michigan
    9 South Carolina
    10 Arkansas
    11 West Virginia
    12 Wisconsin
    13 Michigan State
    14 Clemson
    15 Texas
    16 Nebraska

Atta boy!

I figure I need to see the hUSKERS in the Top 20 every chance I get. Typically that's where they start out, climbing a bit with some early creampuff games and then take a tumble mid-season, desperately trying to hang in the top 25 by the end. This year, however, could be different with it being Rex Burkhead's final season and (hopefully) Martinez staying healthy. I sure hope so. We'll see.

GO BIG RED!

Fixed it for you...

1 LSU (18)
    2 Alabama (20)
    3 USC (19)
    4 Oklahoma
    5 Oregon
    6 Georgia
    7 Florida State
    8 Michigan
    9 South Carolina
    10 Arkansas
    11 West Virginia
    12 Wisconsin