Big 10
    Ohio State (ineligible) - vs Illinois, at Wisconsin, vs Michigan

Independent
    Notre Dame - vs Pitt, at Boston College, vs Wake Forest, at USC

Pac-12
    Oregon - at Cal, vs Stanford, at Oregon State

SEC
    Alabama - at LSU, vs Texas A&M, vs W. Carolina, vs Auburn

Which team has the easiest remaining schedule? Who has the toughest road? And which teams, if any, will make it through the regular season undefeated?

As far which teams might make it, I'd guess Ohio State won't - they've had too many close games so far.
    Wow! more Anti-OSU Hate....If they were eligible for anything this year would you change your tune???

Master of New Adventures!
    Eligible or ineligible has absolutely nothing to do with quality. During the ywars that Muhammad Ali was ineligible to box, was he still not the greatest boxer of his time...or perhaps of any time?

I for one -- and being a rabid fan of a Nebraska team that was taken apart by OSU -- think Ohio State has an amazing program. As a longtime college football fan, the quality of their team has my great respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Wow! more Anti-OSU Hate....If they were eligible for anything this year would you change your tune???
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; November 4, 2012 at 03:10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I for one -- and being a rabid fan of a Nebraska team that was taken apart by OSU -- think Ohio State has an amazing program. As a longtime college football fan, the quality of their team has my great respect.
    Thanks Jack!

Right back at you Nebraska has had a great year in the Legends division

Thank you for that, Megalodon. Appreciation of and respect for other teams and their efforts is, imo, one of the hallmarks of what college football is all about.

Btw, update: Harris now has Nebraska at #16 also.

Update 2: And, of course, the BCS has just moments ago ranked Nebraska at 16, which I said they would in Post 150. Q: "Gee, how could he have known that?" A: Simple. It's where they deserve to be, yet again either exposing the decade-old AP anti-Nebraska bias or proving for all time that AP knows exactly what it's talking about regarding Nebraska and everyone else is biased for Nebraska!

Well, a child knows there was no way UCLA could have made the eight place leap up the rankings that AP had them make after winning their game against 'powerhouse' ranked #24 Arizona. Coaches had UCLA at 19 and Harris had them at 21 -- twenty-friggin' one! AP bumped them to seventeen for the sole purpose of keeping Nebraska below them. Can anyone honestly believe if Nebraska had beat a team ranked just one place above them that AP would bump Nebraska up eight places? If Nebraska beat Alabama AP wouldn't move them up eight points in the rankings! I'm starting to think the AP votes are overseen by Big 12 referees! Sure makes them lose credibility in my book.

Thank you, BCS, for being fair.
    Thanks Jack!

Right back at you Nebraska has had a great year in the Legends division
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; November 4, 2012 at 09:02pm.

Comments like this are why I find myself spending less and less time on the Org and posting less when I am here.

My comment had nothing to do with "anti-OSU hate". My comment was based on the fact that OSU beat Cal at home by 7, MSU by 1, Indiana by 3 and Purdue in OT. That's four very close games. With Michigan and a road game against Wisconsin still on the schedule, I think they're the most likely to lose a game of the remaining undefeated teams. Post-season eligibility didn't factor into it.

Quote Originally Posted by ksensor View Post
    Comments like this are why I find myself spending less and less time on the Org and posting less when I am here.

My comment had nothing to do with "anti-OSU hate". My comment was based on the fact that OSU beat Cal at home by 7, MSU by 1, Indiana by 3 and Purdue in OT. That's four very close games. With Michigan and a road game against Wisconsin still on the schedule, I think they're the most likely to lose a game of the remaining undefeated teams. Post-season eligibility didn't factor into it.
    Yea but the top four had close games too this year...Did Alabama destroy LSU like they should have? Now only 4 Notre Dame destroyed Pitt??? No by 3 and it took them 3 overtimes to do it...I get it you live in Ohio and don't like OSU fine but other teams were in the same boat (or worse) that were in the top 5 but they didn't get mentioned...

God I wish 2 or 3 of the top 4 would loose the next two weeks and OSU would be ranked #2 And the national title would be played between #1 & #3...It that were to happen...Ironic...

Yea but the top four had close games too this year...Did Alabama destroy LSU like they should have? Now only 4 Notre Dame destroyed Pitt??? No by 3 and it took them 3 overtimes to do it...I get it you live in Ohio and don't like OSU fine but other teams were in the same boat (or worse) that were in the top 5 but they didn't get mentioned...

God I wish 2 or 3 of the top 4 would loose the next two weeks and OSU would be ranked #2 And the national title would be played between #1 & #3...It that were to happen...Ironic...
    I would easily roll dice of any of the other top 10 to win out against OSU. Their schedule isn't exactly daunting compared to the other top 10s.
    Moderately Geeky: The Podcast
    Available on Podbead, iTunes, and Stitcher smart radio.

I have to say that I agree that your comments should not be construed as anti-OSU hate. We did have a discussion a while ago about whether or not they are irrelevant simply because they are ineligible. I think everyone gets where I stand on that. But the fact is that they are ineligible and simply pointing that out in a post isn't hateful in my book...and I'm a Nebraska fan, so I'm something of an expert on what constitutes fans being hateful.

Quote Originally Posted by ksensor View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I have to say that I agree that your comments should not be construed as anti-OSU hate. We did have a discussion a while ago about whether or not they are irrelevant simply because they are ineligible. I think everyone gets where I stand on that. But the fact is that they are ineligible and simply pointing that out in a post isn't hateful in my book...and I'm a Nebraska fan, so I'm something of an expert on what constitutes fans being hateful.
    Yes that's true but when you point out only one team when others have had close games and have 3 games left compared to OSU's 2 is funny....So what happens next year when they get better??? I would never single out a team when others in the same breath have had their close calls as well...

I take a particular pleasure when people provide their negative take on or denigration of something or someone's efforts or when they talk about the long odds of success for anyone. It's their right and I do not see it as hate -- rather just that they're taking a risk they may not be aware of.

When, at age twenty-four -- because I knew so little about how the publishing industry worked -- I sent the only (!) copy of my first novel, NO PLACE LIKE HOME, to G.P. Putnam's Sons, almost everyone in the world told me I was wasting my time because the odds were so stacked against an unknown writer getting published. Six months later Putnam's offered me an advance to publish the novel, Sherry Lansing (TITANIC, THE ACCUSED, FATAL ATTRACTION), who would go on to be the CEO of Paramount, bought the film rights and I was launched on a career that would see me publishinh five more novels, as well as writing over 1,200 episodes of television and eighteen movies. I will confess that fter that long ago first novel of mine hit the Chicago Tribune's bestseller's list, there were a few people to whom I sent clippings of the list.

It's been my experience that when people go out on a limb pointing out the improbable odds, they are taking a risk the limb will break. It's their choice, of course, but I am rarely annoyed, often amused and always eager to see the result when they elect to do so.

That said, 'hate' is a strong word. Loyalty to one team and opposition to another is a part of college sports. It's also what rivalries are about. You should hear my Nebraska-Kim talk about literally any college football team in the Sunshine State. As a courteous Nebraska fan, she isn't hateful, but you can bet it's a strain for my Irish girl to restrain herself completely.

College football elicits passion. And in a frequently bland and malaise-filled world where, imo, there's all too little passion, that's probably a good thing. It's also probably a good thing for everyone to cut each other a little slack once in a while. In the final analysis, it's just football that we're all talking about...as opposed to the childhood mortality in Darfur. And yes, this comes from a fan who rails against the anti-Nebraska bias of the AP and many other fans out there. What I've learned, at this advanced point in my life, is the wisdom of taking my own advice to heart...and so, I try to do so.

Yes that's true but when you point out only one team when others have had close games and have 3 games left compared to OSU's 2 is funny....So what happens next year when they get better??? I would never single out a team when others in the same breath have had their close calls as well...
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; November 5, 2012 at 09:37pm.

I'm an OSU fan and I don't take any offense to their ineligibility and therefore irrelevance in this year's national championship picture. It was their own doing. Certainly there is some serious hypocrisy in the fact that the NCAA and many universities across the country make millions of dollars off of these athletes while they are in school yet punishes them for trading their own personal belongings for tattoos and cash. What really caused the bowl ban was the fact that Tressel lied about what he knew and you can't have a coach trying to cover up NCAA violations. It sucks for all the players, coaches, and fans of this year's team that had nothing to do with breaking the rules, but that's how the NCAA operates.

Ultimately I think this team will be better off with Urban Meyer at the helm and will have a much better chance of competing for and winning a national championship. But let's be honest about this year's team - even if they go undefeated I don't see them as a national championship caliber team. The Big Ten is glaringly weak this year which was only compounded by the ineligibility of OSU and Penn State, two of their better teams, and the non-conference schedule for OSU is absolutely sub-par. There is a lot to look forward to next year though

Good post, but while they cannot be in the national championship hunt, they are hardly 'irrelevant' and, in fact, still are a major influence on the college football landscape -- just ask Nebraska fans about that. We lose one more game and it will be the loss to OSU that means we don't get a shot at the Big 10 Championship. I call that being relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    I'm an OSU fan and I don't take any offense to their ineligibility and therefore irrelevance in this year's national championship picture. It was their own doing. Certainly there is some serious hypocrisy in the fact that the NCAA and many universities across the country make millions of dollars off of these athletes while they are in school yet punishes them for trading their own personal belongings for tattoos and cash. What really caused the bowl ban was the fact that Tressel lied about what he knew and you can't have a coach trying to cover up NCAA violations. It sucks for all the players, coaches, and fans of this year's team that had nothing to do with breaking the rules, but that's how the NCAA operates.

Ultimately I think this team will be better off with Urban Meyer at the helm and will have a much better chance of competing for and winning a national championship. But let's be honest about this year's team - even if they go undefeated I don't see them as a national championship caliber team. The Big Ten is glaringly weak this year which was only compounded by the ineligibility of OSU and Penn State, two of their better teams, and the non-conference schedule for OSU is absolutely sub-par. There is a lot to look forward to next year though

They are not irrelevant in regards to the Big Ten, but they have no impact on the national championship picture since all the teams they have and will play are not in contention even if they had beaten or will beat the Buckeyes.

Of course you're correct about that. But a lot of teams have no impact on the national championship and are still fun to watch and cheer for or pull against. I'm not saying that you don't agree with that, but using the word "irrelevant" is kind of a loaded thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    They are not irrelevant in regards to the Big Ten, but they have no impact on the national championship picture since all the teams they have and will play are not in contention even if they had beaten or will beat the Buckeyes.

The Huskers had another exciting game on Saturday. There was a little controversy in the 4th quarter on a potential Penn State TD. It might be partly the Husker fan in me, but I didn't really see indisputable evidence to overturn the ruling on the field. At that point in the game, I think the Huskers would have been able to come back from 3 down anyways.

Alabama goes down. I'd like to see K-State in the national championship game.

ISU lost again but I think we take Kansas next week and I really do think we can handle WVU after their collapse (all offense, no defense)

So all in all I think we will have a decent year and go 7-5

I would love to see Kansas State in the Title Game though, actually pretty happy Alabama lost as it gives some chance to a different title holder than the same old same old. And after last years horrific National Title game that should have never happened it would be great for the sport
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Well yes it was an exciting 3rd and 4th quarter all right. But Big Red was incredibly flat during the entire first half. This seems to be the year of heartpounding comebacks for them -- four so far this season and three of them against double-digit leads -- and thanks to this game it appears they may 'come back' into the top 15 in the BCS...AP's lunatic ranking of them not withstanding.

I do get a kick out of some Nebraska fans (correctly) saying the three double digit comebacks this season are half of the total of six double digit comebacks Nebraska's had in its entire history. However what my fellow Big Red fans rather conveniently leave out is that Nebraska was such a powerhouse in decades past that they were rarely ever down by double digits! I remember plenty of games in Lincoln in the 90s when Kim and I would leave at halftime and go to Sidetracks bar to party because the Nebraska lead was so high.

Well those days of being unstoppable are certainly long gone. But this come-from-behind Husker team is fun to watch.

As for the questionable call, it was really a tough one. To me it didn't appear the ball broke the plain for TD, but I tend to view football games through red-colored glasses. That said, Nebraska's had more -- much more -- than enough questionable calls go against them. Not so much in the Big 10, which I have to say has been very fair. But in the Big 12 it was really ludicrous. Can you say "Texas"?

I have to say it would be an awful lot of fun to see them play in the Rose Bowl.

And yeah, Alabama was a shocker, but it was even more shocking for me to see that they didn't drop more in the rankings. I mean it's not like they were playing a top 10 team. I could certainly be wrong, but I thought they should have dropped more -- and I'm a Crimson Tide fan. Kudos to Texas A&M. I agree with Mark about it kind of good to see the Tide go down. I'm so sick of hearing abuot the SEC.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The Huskers had another exciting game on Saturday. There was a little controversy in the 4th quarter on a potential Penn State TD. It might be partly the Husker fan in me, but I didn't really see indisputable evidence to overturn the ruling on the field. At that point in the game, I think the Huskers would have been able to come back from 3 down anyways.

Alabama goes down. I'd like to see K-State in the national championship game.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; November 11, 2012 at 03:47pm.

Jack if there is bias against Nebraska you better believe there is favoritism for Alabama in the polling

Pollsters just cannot except when a good team gets beat, there always has to be an excuse that on any other day they should have won. That is one of the reasons I can't wait till they get to a playoff system.

Can anyone imagine the NFL with a ranking system determining who plays what
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Snappy Threader
    I'm at a loss with Notre Dame at number 3. I mean, they don't play Div I-AA or playoff series or whatever we call it now, they play real schools.....Kansas State played Missouri State, Oregon played Tennessee Tech......Notre Dame played all Div 1 schools and they have won. Granted I'm not an ND fan, but they are getting cheated in my opinion. They should at least be number two.....and based on schedule, should be number 1.

Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    I'm at a loss with Notre Dame at number 3. I mean, they don't play Div I-AA or playoff series or whatever we call it now, they play real schools.....Kansas State played Missouri State, Oregon played Tennessee Tech......Notre Dame played all Div 1 schools and they have won. Granted I'm not an ND fan, but they are getting cheated in my opinion. They should at least be number two.....and based on schedule, should be number 1.
    Its their punishment for being independent in Football I think, plus a lot of sports writers are just waiting for them to lose since their coach has turned around so quickly

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Its their punishment for being independent in Football I think, plus a lot of sports writers are just waiting for them to lose since their coach has turned around so quickly
    Yeah, I bet so with the independent vs conference thing. I wish they would have joined the Big 10.

I hate it when you take the words right out of my mouth! The exact words!!!

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    And don't be too sad about them not being in the Big 10, iron_pride. At least you'll get to see them play Nebraska in the Rose Bowl.

GO BIG RED!!!

ISU is going bowling

I think we can beat West Virginia next week, its a home game and WV has no defense whatsoever

7-5 would be really good for us I think, something to build on for next year

I went to the Nebraska vs. Minnesota game today. I enjoyed the half-time ceremony for retiring AD Tom Osborne. They had videos throughout the game from former and current players, Larry the Cable Guy, Warren Buffett, Bill Snyder, Barry Switzer, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, ESPN Game Day crew, and others talking about Tom. The game was very enjoyable in the first half, but got kind of boring in the second after both teams looked like they just wanted the game to end thanks to the slaughter. Minnesota's late 14 points ruined the free Runza offer from the back of the ticket, but we still went there anyways.

K-State and Oregon go down.

Agreed, Firefly...although no one but a Huskers fan will get the Runza reference.

What a day for college football. For that matter what a season for college football. Kim and I were watching the Sports Center wrap-up when she commented that she felt this is the best college football seasons we've had in ten years and I have to agree. SEC? What SEC?!

We've had so much drama; not all of it good -- e.g. Penn State. And there've been plenty of what-ifs -- e.g. Ohio State. Upsets galore and, of course, imo, the drama of seeing my Huskers rise, fall and rise again. And we're not even into the Conference Games yet!!!

All in all, I think it's been pretty amazing. Great to be a college football fan any year, but I do think this one has been something special. Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I went to the Nebraska vs. Minnesota game today. I enjoyed the half-time ceremony for retiring AD Tom Osborne. They had videos throughout the game from former and current players, Larry the Cable Guy, Warren Buffett, Bill Snyder, Barry Switzer, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, ESPN Game Day crew, and others talking about Tom. The game was very enjoyable in the first half, but got kind of boring in the second after both teams looked like they just wanted the game to end thanks to the slaughter. Minnesota's late 14 points ruined the free Runza offer from the back of the ticket, but we still went there anyways.

K-State and Oregon go down.