Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: The Official 2012 - 2013 College Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Agreed, Firefly...although no one but a Midwesterner will get the Runza reference.
    Changed that there for you Jack, us Iowans know very well what Runza is
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Is it just me or are two more teams joining the Big Ten???

Because if my math is right that would make them the Big 14 and the Big Twelve is NOW the Big Ten...

I'm surprised the Big 10 might add Maryland and Rutgers according to rumors. I guess the main reason they want to do it is to add the New York and DC areas to their market, but those are more pro sports towns and those schools are not football powerhouses. If the Big 10 does it, there will be another big domino effect on all the conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I'm surprised the Big 10 might add Maryland and Rutgers according to rumors. I guess the main reason they want to do it is to add the New York and DC areas to their market, but those are more pro sports towns and those schools are not football powerhouses. If the Big 10 does it, there will be another big domino effect on all the conferences.
    That would be interesting for College Basketball as Maryland is quite a heavyweight in that (National Champions in Men and Women Basketball) and the Big 10 has quite a few big names in Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I don't give a hoot about football, but watching some of the UT/Vanderbilt game was embarrassing. I'm almost ashamed to live in Knoxville. I have a feeling the rumors are true and Monday the coach will get the pink slip.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Changed that there for you Jack, us Iowans know very well what Runza is
    Not this one. But then, I'm not a man of the town.

I'm just now seeing the news on yahoo.com about maryland and rutgers. I haven't read the local sports page so I don't know if it says anything about it.

Rutgers was rumored to join earlier but that spot was taken by Nebraska.

I kind hope they join less travel for penn st and ohio.

Master of New Adventures!
    I blame it on Bush.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Is it just me or are two more teams joining the Big Ten???

Because if my math is right that would make them the Big 14 and the Big Twelve is NOW the Big Ten...

And Midor, Runzas are delicious but anything but a sophisticated deal -- just good Heartland chow for good Heartland folks: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...2Fwiki%2FRunza Lots of restaurant in Nebraska, but the best part is when they set up a mobile kitchen outside Memorial in Lincoln for halftime at the Nebraska games. Unlike the prison-like confinement we endured Northwestern, the fans are allowed out of the stadium at halftime in Lincoln.

UPDATE: Congrats to Notre Dame being at #1. Naturally -- as I told Kim last night -- AP seized on the UCLA win to vault them over Nebraska and to drop -- actually drop -- Nebraska a point after they clubbed Minnesota. Coaches Poll correctly has them at 14. You know, AP used to get me irritated. Now I just realize they're a bunch of prejudiced idiots that demonstrate their bias and lack of understanding of football on a weekly basis. I really thought the day had come in our world that prejudice and biogtry were over. Sadly, it still lives in college football, but at least it's laughable rather than truly devastating. Boneheads.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; November 18, 2012 at 04:17pm.

Heroic Warrior
    And Midor, Runzas are delicious but anything but a sophisticated deal -- just good Heartland chow for good Heartland folks: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...2Fwiki%2FRunza Lots of restaurant in Nebraska, but the best part is when they set up a mobile kitchen outside Memorial in Lincoln for halftime at the Nebraska games.
    Thanks. I remember eating something like that for my school lunch. It was loose meat (onl) in a roll. but I just can't remember the name it. I believe I'd open the roll and put ketchup in it.

Sounds like Maryland could be hurting money wise. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...54--ncaaf.html

On a side note In reading about the potential news. I read in one of the articles that Notre Dame's hockey isn't joining their new conference.

UPDATE:

It's official. Maryland is on it's way. 2014. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...15--ncaaf.html

Now, in the next 24 to 48 hours will Rutgers follow?
    Last edited by midor; November 19, 2012 at 04:49pm.

With Maryland's departure from the ACC, UConn is expected by many to get their wish to join the ACC. With the possibility of Rutgers and UConn joining the list of defections from the Big East... Boise State, San Diego St. and BYU are in talks to return to the MWC.

With all the recent changes, that leaves:

All-Sports - Current
    Louisville
    Cincinnati
    South Florida
    Temple - football-only in 2012, all-sports in 2013

All-Sports - Starting in 2013
    SMU
    Houston
    Memphis
    Central Florida

Football-Only - Starting in 2013
    Navy - joining in 2015
    Boise State
    San Diego State

Basketball-Only - Current
    Georgetown
    Seton Hall
    Villanova
    DePaul
    Marquette
    Providence
    St. John's

Assuming nothing else changes (unlikely), that gives the Big East only 11 football teams in 2013. Expect them to add one to get to 12 - enough for a lucrative conference title game. Especially with the conference in the middle of open negotiations for their football TV rights.

If I had to make a prediction, I would guess the Big East will dissolve after:
    - MWC takes back Boise State and San Diego St. to get to 12 teams
    - Big 12 adds Cincinnati & Louisville and 2 of SMU/BYU/Houston to get to 12 teams
    - The 7 basketball-only schools add one school to get to eight and form a basketball-only conference
    Last edited by ksensor; November 20, 2012 at 04:24pm.

Isn't it getting close to the time for the Big 10 to rename the conference?

Quote Originally Posted by ksensor View Post
    With Maryland's departure from the ACC, UConn is expected by many to get their wish to join the ACC. With the possibility of Rutgers and UConn joining the list of defections from the Big East... Boise State, San Diego St. and BYU are in talks to return to the MWC.

With all the recent changes, that leaves:

All-Sports - Current
    Louisville
    Cincinnati
    South Florida

All-Sports - Starting in 2013
    SMU
    Houston
    Memphis
    Central Florida

Football-Only - Starting in 2013
    Navy
    Boise State
    San Diego State

Basketball-Only - Current
    Georgetown
    Seton Hall
    Villanova
    DePaul
    Marquette
    Providence
    St. John's

Assuming nothing else changes (unlikely), that gives the Big East only 11 football teams in 2013. Expect them to add one to get to 12 - enough for a lucrative conference title game. Especially with the conference in the middle of open negotiations for their football TV rights.

If I had to make a prediction, I would guess the Big East will dissolve after:
    - MWC takes back Boise State and San Diego St. to get to 12 teams
    - Big 12 adds Cincinnati & Louisville and 2 of SMU/BYU/Houston to get to 12 teams
    - The 7 basketball-only schools add one school to get to eight and form a basketball-only conference

I would love to add Cincinnati and Houston to the Big 12, they have great basketball and football programs that I think would fit in well

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    Not this one. But then, I'm not a man of the town.
    Have you never traveled across the border into Omaha? You are missing out then on a unique midwestern food. Think doughy biscuit with meat and cheese

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    The SEC on Saturday:

Snappy Threader
    Big Ten was wanting Louisville too, I wouldn't be surprised to see them add a couple more teams actually to become a powerhouse conference...We may end up with just a few of them...Big Ten, SEC, PAC 10, ACC.....

So Friday's game -- nationally broadcast on ABC at 11 A.M. CST -- decides if my Huskers are their Big 10 division champs. Then it's on to the Big 10 Conference Championship game and, afterwards, hopefully demolishing Oregon at the Rose Bowl on January 1st and catapulting Nebraska back up into the top ten where they deserve to be! Order restored!

Well, enough fantasy time. The reality is that it's a long, looooooong way to go and anything can happen. But I'll tell you this much: I'm foregoing Thanksgiving dessert in anticipation of a Day After T-day Delight!

GO BIG RED!!!

I was glad Nebraska got the win, but I was hoping it would have been more like the Minnesota game. Unfortunately, two starters got injured and will be out for the Big Ten championship game.

Iowa State lost a close one. The big Austin run and Woody fumble were killers. It will be interesting to see what bowl they land in.

Iowa State was close, I knew they could do it and despite that I am very happy with how the season went. Great things are coming IMHO over the next few years

Once again the biased AP poll laughably has the Huskers at 14, while the Harris and Coaches polls have them at 13 and the BCS correctly has them at 12. These guys are a joke. After Nebraska beats Wisconsin and then Stanford in the Rose Bowl, AP will probably drop them from the ranking.

It's nice not to be angry anymore, but rather to be able to laugh because they just show their single bias week after week after week. And in almost every other ranking I agree with AP. It just must stick in their throat to see the Huskers going to the Rose Bowl. Maybe stubby Napolean complex Sunshine State hack/Nebraska-hater Lee Corso is a secret AP donor.

Anyway, how awesome is this Alabama/Georgia game going to me?
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; November 25, 2012 at 11:45pm.

Anyway, how awesome is this Alabama/Georgia game going to me?
    It will be especially awesome knowing full well that the SEC can't screw the National Title picture like they did last year

What's this SEC you're talking about?

It will be especially awesome knowing full well that the SEC can't screw the National Title picture like they did last year

With the addition of Tulane and East Carolina and Louisville leaving for the ACC, here's how the Big East now sits:

All Sports - Current
    Cincinnati
    South Florida

All Sports - Upcoming
    SMU - in 2013
    Houston - in 2013
    Memphis - in 2013
    Central Florida - in 2013
    Tulane - in 2014

Football Only - Upcoming
    Boise State - in 2013
    San Diego State - in 2013
    East Carolina - in 2014
    Navy - joining in 2015

Basketball Only - Current
    Georgetown
    Seton Hall
    Villanova
    DePaul
    Marquette
    Providence
    St. John's

Scheduled to Leave Big East
    Pitt - leaving July 2013
    Syracuse - leaving July 2013
    Notre Dame - under negotiation
    Rutgers - under negotiation
    Louisville - under negotiation

It's possible that Rutgers and Louisville will negotiate a buyout that allows them to leave for the Big10/ACC in time for the 2013 football season, but them leaving prior to the 2014 season is more likely.

- - - Updated - - -

Assuming no incoming schools back out and no other schools leave or are added, 2015 would see a Big East with 12 football teams and 7 more basketball teams.

Here's how the football divisions would look with a north/south split or an east/west split.

Big East - North
    Boise State
    Cincinnati
    Temple
    Navy
    Memphis
    East Carolina

Big East - South
    San Diego State
    SMU
    Houston
    Central Florida
    South Florida
    Tulane

Big East - East
    Cincinnati
    Temple
    Navy
    East Carolina
    Central Florida
    South Florida

Big East - West
    Boise State
    San Diego State
    SMU
    Houston
    Tulane
    Memphis

Back in 1959, when I was a kid, there were eight teams in Major League Baseball's National Division and eight teams in their American League Division. Players pretty much stayed with one team for life, guys like Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams would gladly come over to a kid like me and autograph our baseball before the game without first having to call their business manager and the only scandal I can remember is the Chicago Chief of Police setting off the air raid sirens after the Sox clinched the American League pennant, throwing a lot of people in the Windy City into a panic. (My upstairs neighbor's mom ran down to our floor screaming, "THE RUSSIANS HAVE LAUNCHED THE MISSILES!!!" ) Things in sports, and in life, were simpler back then -- not necessarily better, although in a lot of ways they were, but certainly simpler.

Nowadays I headache just trying to keep up with all the changes in sports. Maybe it's really all about my getting older,but I long for the day when I can just kick back with a beer and watch a game for the pure pleasure of it rather than worrying if the team or player I support will be there next season or the coach I admire will end up in a scandal or the rules are going to get changed or a 'professional' basketball player can choke his coach and still get an athletic shoe named after him.

I get these latest realignments are about the money, but I'll sure be happy when at least college football settles down a bit. I guess that's about all the stability in sports I can hope for at this point in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by ksensor View Post
    With the addition of Tulane and East Carolina and Louisville leaving for the ACC, here's how the Big East now sits:

All Sports - Current
    Cincinnati
    South Florida

All Sports - Upcoming
    SMU - in 2013
    Houston - in 2013
    Memphis - in 2013
    Central Florida - in 2013
    Tulane - in 2014

Football Only - Upcoming
    Boise State - in 2013
    San Diego State - in 2013
    East Carolina - in 2014
    Navy - joining in 2015

Basketball Only - Current
    Georgetown
    Seton Hall
    Villanova
    DePaul
    Marquette
    Providence
    St. John's

Scheduled to Leave Big East
    Pitt - leaving July 2013
    Syracuse - leaving July 2013
    Notre Dame - under negotiation
    Rutgers - under negotiation
    Louisville - under negotiation

It's possible that Rutgers and Louisville will negotiate a buyout that allows them to leave for the Big10/ACC in time for the 2013 football season, but them leaving prior to the 2014 season is more likely.

- - - Updated - - -

Assuming no incoming schools back out and no other schools leave or are added, 2015 would see a Big East with 12 football teams and 7 more basketball teams.

Here's how the football divisions would look with a north/south split or an east/west split.

Big East - North
    Boise State
    Cincinnati
    Temple
    Navy
    Memphis
    East Carolina

Big East - South
    San Diego State
    SMU
    Houston
    Central Florida
    South Florida
    Tulane

Big East - East
    Cincinnati
    Temple
    Navy
    East Carolina
    Central Florida
    South Florida

Big East - West
    Boise State
    San Diego State
    SMU
    Houston
    Tulane
    Memphis
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; November 28, 2012 at 03:49pm.

At this point it would probably be easier if we had 4 major conferences and that was it

One for the West, One for the Central Midwest, One for the Upper Midwest/East, One of the South

I still maintain it's fine to have as many conferences as they want; just have a true playoff 'season', with the winners of each conference battling each other. Why shouldn't a team like Kent State have a Cinderella shot at it all? And imagine the electricity if they knocked Alabama out in an early round! The way things are presently stacked, we'll never get to see that match-up and Kent State will never have their Rocky Balboa chance.

I'm not a big college basketball fan, but I love March Madness because anything can happen. To me a true playoff season for college football would make post season a lot more exciting and it would extend a sports season that is over way too soon, imo. I think we're starting to very slowly move in that direction and I'll be patient. To use the line from CONTACT, "Small moves, Ellie...small moves."

At this point it would probably be easier if we had 4 major conferences and that was it

One for the West, One for the Central Midwest, One for the Upper Midwest/East, One of the South

Heroic Warrior

I've joked with a buddy at work about expansion that there are only going to be 4 conferences. and each conference will be based on the time zones.

I'm in the middle of reading about Louisville joining and thought this was interesting. From a Big 10 perspective.

The ACC's overall stability has been questioned since Maryland's startling defection, with rumors percolating about Virginia and North Carolina being the Big Ten's next targets for expansion. But the athletic directors of both schools, Craig Littlepage of Virginia and Bubba Cunningham of North Carolina, issued statements Wednesday saying their schools are committed to the ACC.

I'm all for talk of expansion. that's exciting. so is waiting for teams to come in but 16 is to much.

Do I wish the big ten was back at 10. yes. but times have change and the big ten must change with them.

So Stanford has defeated UCLA. As an aside, imo it's shameful that Stanford was playing a home game in front of what si.com calls "A sparse audience" and its second smallest crowd at 37,000. What kind of football fans do they have there? Of course Nebraska has the longest sell-out crowds record in college football history -- and yes, I know all that Nebraska has is beef, corn, insurance companies, dropdead red-haired Irish gals and football, so maybe that's part of the reason for all of those sell-out crowds, but I like to think it's also fan loyalty -- but I can assure you that if they were playing a game in Lincoln that would decide whether or not the Huskers went to the Rose Bowl you'd have blimps rented out by fans circling sold-out Memorial Stadium for the entire game.

Anyway, Kim and I are really pumped for tonight's Nebraska game, hoping our boys leave Indy with roses. Buffalo Wild Wings, here we come. I sure hope they've got plenty of Guinness.

GO BIG RED!!!
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; December 1, 2012 at 02:45pm.