Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: The Official 2012 - 2013 College Football Thread

Oh Nebraska fans, wow was that bad...
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Master of New Adventures!
    Why do I bother? It's always the same -- starting out the season ranked ranked around 20, hopes surging as we fight into the top 15, a mid-season loss knocks us either out of the rankings or down to 25, we fight back to a respectable top 15 and then blow it on the last game.

History may not repeat itself, but it sure rhymes.

I'm soooooooooooo depressed. Thank heavens Kim's cousin is long ago Notre Dame Heisman Award-winner Johnny Lujack, ND is forty minutes from us and all my children will be attending college there. At least I've got someone to cheer for!

And what an embarrassment for Wisconsin to be playing in the Rose Bowl representing the Big 10.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Oh Nebraska fans, wow was that bad...

Nebraska forgot how to tackle last night. They were missing one key defensive player, but it still shouldn't have been that bad. They lost pretty much every one on one matchup. They contained the running game during their first matchup, but for some reason couldn't last night. Oh well, only one team can win the national championship. It would just be nice to win a conference championship again since the last one was in 1999. The blowout reminded me of the Colorado loss that the Eric Crouch lead Huskers had, although that team still went to the Rose Bowl.

I'm stunned -- stunned! -- that Nebraska has only fallen to #16 in the BCS ranking. I don't know what to say...but "Thanks" is probably a good start.

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Happy that Louisville is in a BCS Bowl game
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

After leading Wisconsin to 3 straight Rose Bowls, Badgers head coach Bret Bielema is leaving Wisconsin to coach Arkansas.

Gotta admit... I did not see that one coming.

Heroic Warrior
    Football season doesn't have to end.

Join my 2012 College Bowl Game pick em contest.

Fun starts the 15th.

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo....D=18029&P=orko

additional:
    Group I.D.#:18029
    Password:orko
    Last edited by midor; December 4, 2012 at 09:01pm.

Want to be the next head football coach of the Wisconsin Badgers?

Here is the official job listing from the University of Wisconsin: http://www.ohr.wisc.edu/WebListing/U...?pvl_num=75429

If you would like to apply, you only need a bachelor's degree. No work experience is required, although they have a "preference" for candidates with "5 years of successful collegiate football coaching experience". And they note that "Division I head coaching experience is also preferred."

All kidding aside, there is an interesting detail in the listing. The deadline to apply is Dec 19th, and the anticipated start date is Dec. 24th... one week before Wisconsin plays in the Rose Bowl. AD and former coach Barry Alvarez will coach the team for the Rose Bowl, but it sounds like the new coach will at least be on the sidelines.

- - - Updated - - -

Butch Jones declined the 5-year, $13.5 million offer from Colorado Buffaloes. Butch Jones has also turned down Purdue.
    Last edited by ksensor; December 7, 2012 at 10:55am.

Heroic Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by ksensor View Post
    Butch Jones has left the University of Cincinnati and accepted the job at the University of Tennessee.

Steve Stripling, UC assistant head coach since 2010, will coach the Bearcats in their bowl game against Duke. UC's AD has been authorized to start the search for a new head coach immediately. The new coach will inherit a team that has won at least a share of the Big East title 4 of the last 5 years. With a win against Duke, UC will have had 10+ wins in 4 of the last 5 years as well.

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like the Big East will dissolve in the next 24-48 hours.

It would take a 2/3rds majority to dissolve the Big East. Currently, the Big East is made up of 11 schools: 7 basketball-only schools, 3 all-sports schools, and Temple (football-only this year and all-sports next year). There are bunch of other schools scheduled to join, but they can't vote until they join. And Temple is a full-voting member... but can't vote on dissolving the conference.

So that means the 7 basketball-only schools have a 2/3rds majority, and the ability to dissolve the conference. The 7 schools are expected to form their own basketball-only conference or join the Atlantic 10, another high-powered basketball-only conference.

I believe I had this one about three weeks ago...

Quote Originally Posted by ksensor View Post
    If I had to make a prediction, I would guess the Big East will dissolve after:

- The 7 basketball-only schools add one school to get to eight and form a basketball-only conference
    Last edited by ksensor; December 7, 2012 at 11:07am.

All right. With the major bowl games now looming it's time for me to shamelessly bump up this thread.

Lots of great college football action coming up and I'd sure be remiss if I didn't say that tomorrow's Nebraska/Georgia game will be one of the high points for me and Kim. I'm still reeling from the shock of the Huskers actually coming in ranked #16 in the BCS poll! You guys know me: I'm usually the one ranting that Nebraska's ranked so low. In this case -- amazingly -- I have to say I'm stunned we're ranked up at 16. And the reality is that if we beat Georgia there's a very real chance for us to end up in the top ten. Of course there're one heckuva lot of hoops to jump through before that happens and much of it depends on which Martinez and D shows up for the game. But you can bet Kim and I will be taking in all the action, cheering on our Huskers while we're knockin' down Guinnesses and scarfing wings at Buffalo Wild Wings.

So who are the orger college football fans pulling for and do you have any festivities planned? And finally, I know I'm blessed to have a soulmate that's a huge college football fan, but what about the rest of you? Are your partners massively into it, supportive, tolerating your football fanaticism or simply rolling their eyes and eager for it to all be over?

GO BIG RED!!!

It looks like Boise State will stay in the Mountain West. ISU looked pretty bad after the first quarter today. I expect Nebraska to lose tomorrow since Georgia is a top 3 team to me. It is good for me to go into the game with low expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    It looks like Boise State will stay in the Mountain West. ISU looked pretty bad after the first quarter today. I expect Nebraska to lose tomorrow since Georgia is a top 3 team to me. It is good for me to go into the game with low expectations.
    I expected us to have a tough time, our starting QB was sick and ISU leading up to this from the interviews that I saw seemed to think they could just walk over Tulsa since they beat them already in the season.

Stupid penalties and a lackluster offense only lead to bad things, they deserved to lose and good to Tulsa to get the win.

I am interested to see which Nebraska shows up, against a team like Georgia you can't really do your standard 2012 come from behind miracle win
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

For Nebraska it's virtually the identical depressing season they've had for three years running -- starting out ranked in top 20, fight up into the teens , drop to bottom twenty, then out of the rankings, then fight back to the teens and then drop to bottom twenties at the end of the years.

It's frustrating...especially when a QB that's seemingly got a good aerm refuses to throw a pass of more than twenty yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    It's frustrating...especially when a QB that's seemingly got a good aerm refuses to throw a pass of more than twenty yards.
    I swear your QB is like the Tony Romo of College Football

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    WAY TO Go to my hometown Louisville Cardinals for whipping the #3 Florida Gators in the Sugar Bowl! No one gave the Cards a chance, but in the end they made it look easy
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Roll Tide.

And so it ends with a laughable blowout rather than a watchable game, Saban reaffirms his position in the pantheon of immortal coaches and the SEC eats everyone for lunch once again. Not to mention my Huskers crashing and burning once more. To quote Yogi Berra "It's deja vu all over again."

All joking aside, I've enjoyed the annual college football thread so much this season. Great comments from all the fans, spirited debate and a lot of fun. Thanks to everyone and let's do it again for 2013-2014.

GO BIG RED!

Heroic Warrior

9/10 games for big 10

Thanks for that, midor.

Be aware we've launched The Official 2013-2014 College Football thread. Hope to see you on it often.

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post