Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2012 - 2013 College Football Thread

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Could there be a re-re-rematch in our future?

I think I'm going with my dad to the Minnesota at Nebraska game this year. I'd like to see Nebraska do better than last season, but I think they will be about the same.

Master of New Adventures!
    Interesting and impressive article, I think...even for those that don't like the Huskers:

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.d...clid=205564591

You gotta be impressed by a 50-year sell-out streak -- even for a state that only has beef, insurance, football and dropdead gorgeous blue-eyed, crimson-haired Irish girls.

Heroic Warrior
    Not sure when this would begin. 2013? 2014?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/board-a...W9ucw--;_ylv=3

The WAC hasn't been near the football force it once was when most of the bigger name schools left to form the Mountain West years ago.

I'll say it before anyone else chimes in: Was I ever wrong about Iowa State starting out ranked. Yikes! I have to say I'm really surprised that not only weren't they ranked but they didn't even get a single (AP) vote. Well, it's a long season. We'll see. I still say there's a lot of talent there.

As for my Nebraska Cornhuskers, of course the first games are exciting, but I'm really looking forward to Wisconsin -- a highly ranked team; beating them gets us some real respect. We play a good number of ranked teams this year, so climbing up the polls is in our hands. Kim and I will be shooting out to Lincoln for the Michigan game. That's got to be some match-up and with it being October 27th, I think we're looking at perfect Heartland football weather. Can't wait to see my Irish gal in corduroys and a bulky cable knit sweater!

It's gonna be a great season, and oh yeah...GO BIG RED!

Speaking of Michigan, I can't wait to see the Tide roll over them this weekend!

That's going to be a fun opening game! (...hopefully )

A pretty-much-as-expected, ho-hum opening weekend for college football, imo. 'Bama showing why no other division comes even close to the SEC. Wisconsin and South Carolina in a couple of squeakers against unranked teams that makes you wonder if either should be ranked as high as they are. I think they ought to each drop a couple of points.

My Huskers sure gave me a scare during the first half. Offense looked great, but the D was sloppy and disorganized, and my heart nearly stopped when Burkhead was taken out of the game. It appears (thankfully) that he's going to be okay. Great second half, though, with Martinez having a career day. He stays healthy anything can happen. GO BIG RED!

Also pleased to see ISU having a good day. I still say they're going to be ranked before too long. Iowa State's got a lot of talent on that team.

I have to give one opinion here: I was saddened to see Oklahoma State and North Carolina run up scoreS, respectively, of 84-0 and 62-0 against unheralded small teams Savannah and Elon. I just don't think there's any excuse for that in college ball -- or in pro ball for that matter. It's one thing to win, but humiliation is another and I think it's wrong and shows a lack of class and sportsmanship. I'm not saying a team should stop trying to score, but -- and I didn't see those games, so maybe they did this -- you can put in your far-back-on-the-bench players on both offense and defense and leave the opposing team with a crumb of dignity. Just my opinion and I'd like to hear from others on this.

I was glad to see Martinez look really improved as a passer. His mechanics looked 10 times better than in the past. Hopefully, he can keep it up. I am guessing Burkhead will likely miss some action, but hopefully won't be out too long. They'll need him to have a shot at winning the Big Ten title.

The Hawkeyes barely won this weekend. The Cyclones vs. Hawkeyes matchup should be interesting. Northern Iowa came close to upsetting Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I was glad to see Martinez look really improved as a passer. His mechanics looked 10 times better than in the past. Hopefully, he can keep it up. I am guessing Burkhead will likely miss some action, but hopefully won't be out too long. They'll need him to have a shot at winning the Big Ten title.

The Hawkeyes barely won this weekend. The Cyclones vs. Hawkeyes matchup should be interesting. Northern Iowa came close to upsetting Wisconsin.
    Bo is saying the Rex is day-to-day, so we'll see. Even if he's okay, they may want to rest him for a week. What matters is that he's back for the September 29th Wisconsin game and it looks like that will happen. Martinez has made the footing shift and that's a huge improvement as he's no longer throwing off balance. Getting over turf toe was a major obstacle because it affected passing and running. He just needs to stay healthy. What an arm he showed on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I have to give one opinion here: I was saddened to see Oklahoma State and North Carolina run up scoreS, respectively, of 84-0 and 62-0 against unheralded small teams Savannah and Elon. I just don't think there's any excuse for that in college ball -- or in pro ball for that matter. It's one thing to win, but humiliation is another and I think it's wrong and shows a lack of class and sportsmanship. I'm not saying a team should stop trying to score, but -- and I didn't see those games, so maybe they did this -- you can put in your far-back-on-the-bench players on both offense and defense and leave the opposing team with a crumb of dignity. Just my opinion and I'd like to hear from others on this.
    I totally agree with you on this. There are certainly classier ways to control and dominate the game without having to blow up the scoreboard.

Hard to believe that a conference could win all but 2 of it's opening games and still look terrible. Big10, I'm looking at you.

Penn State lost to Ohio. The talking heads' hopes of PSU still being decent have been smashed.
    "#8" Michigan was clearly outclassed and got absolutely smoked. Yes, those are sarcastic air quotes around their ranking.

Minnesota needed 3 OTs to beat UNLV.
    Northwestern beat Syracuse by 1. Syracuse was 5-7 last year and hasn't one a game since Oct 21, 2011.
    Iowa beat NIU by 1. At least they were playing on the road.
    Indiana beat Indiana State by 7. That win actually ended a 9-game losing streak for Indiana.
    #12 Wisconsin beat UNI, an FCS team, by 5. At home.
    #13 Michigan State beat a supposedly overrated Boise by 4. At home.

Purdue, Nebraska, Illinois, and Ohio State looked decent. Too bad OSU's ineligible, and Illinois clearly can't score without their QB1. Sadly, it looks like the start to a long season for the Big10.

Oklahoma State handled their blowout with class, WVU a little less so.

From ESPN's recap of the Oklahoma State game:
    "After the opening quarter, the Cowboys took it relatively easy by using a slew of reserves from far down the depth chart. By the end of the third quarter, 94 different Oklahoma State players had taken the field."

I'll never fault a back-up player for trying to score. If you've ever had to sit on the bench for most of a season as a back-up, you know you have to do your best with whatever time you get. Not just to try to move up the depth chart, but just to get your name in the stat sheet - because you may never see the field again.

As for WVU... their star QB, Geno Smith, didn't come out of the game until the 4th quarter - after throwing his 4th TD to give WVU a 62-20 lead. I guess their coach figured a 42 point lead was safe with 14 minutes left. Expect more of this from West Virginia. Their next game is in two weeks against James Madison, an FCS team.
    Last edited by ksensor; September 4, 2012 at 11:35am.

Props to Oklahoma State. It's why I said I wasn't aware or the circumstance and it seems they handled it right. I agree with you about back-ups trying to score. Absolutely correct.

Shame on WVU though. Unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by ksensor View Post
    Hard to believe that a conference could win all but 2 of it's opening games and still look terrible. Big10, I'm looking at you.

Penn State lost to Ohio. The talking heads' hopes of PSU still being decent have been smashed.
    "#8" Michigan was clearly outclassed and got absolutely smoked. Yes, those are sarcastic air quotes around their ranking.

Minnesota needed 3 OTs to beat UNLV.
    Northwestern beat Syracuse by 1. Syracuse was 5-7 last year and hasn't one a game since Oct 21, 2011.
    Iowa beat NIU by 1. At least they were playing on the road.
    Indiana beat Indiana State by 7. That win actually ended a 9-game losing streak for Indiana.
    #12 Wisconsin beat UNI, an FCS team, by 5. At home.
    #13 Michigan State beat a supposedly overrated Boise by 4. At home.

Purdue, Nebraska, Illinois, and Ohio State looked decent. Too bad OSU's ineligible, and Illinois clearly can't score without their QB1. Sadly, it looks like the start to a long season for the Big10.

Oklahoma State handled their blowout with class, WVU a little less so.

From ESPN's recap of the Oklahoma State game:
    "After the opening quarter, the Cowboys took it relatively easy by using a slew of reserves from far down the depth chart. By the end of the third quarter, 94 different Oklahoma State players had taken the field."

I'll never fault a back-up player for trying to score. If you've ever had to sit on the bench for most of a season as a back-up, you know you have to do your best with whatever time you get. Not just to try to move up the depth chart, but just to get your name in the stat sheet - because you may never see the field again.

As for WVU... their star QB, Geno Smith, didn't come out of the game until the 4th quarter - after throwing his 4th TD to give WVU a 62-20 lead. I guess their coach figured a 42 point lead was safe with 14 minutes left. Expect more of this from West Virginia. Their next game is in two weeks against James Madison, an FCS team.

Props to Oklahoma State. It's why I said I wasn't aware or the circumstance and it seems they handled it right. I agree with you about back-ups trying to score. Absolutely correct.

Shame on WVU though. Unnecessary.
    Yeah, I thought it was nice that the ESPN recap mentioned how OSU handled it. That didn't stop ESPN radio and PTI from ripping on them, of course. I guess none of those people watched the game or read espn.com

It'll be really interesting to see how running up the score is handled over the next few weeks. Savannah State, the team Oklahoma State beat 84-0, plays #6 Florida State this weekend. I'd guess we'll get to see what Jimbo Fisher's does with a giant lead. Plus, West Virginia will be playing an FCS team, so we'll see if they keep the gas pedal down again once they have a big lead.

I forgot to chime in, its going to be a long year for us at ISU

If our coach can get the team to play every quarter likes its the 2nd half we will be outstanding, but that has been a problem over the past 10 years regardless of coach or player. We either do great and play to hold the lead or get so far back we play to come from behind....why not just play to win dangit!
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

I'm pulling for you, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I forgot to chime in, its going to be a long year for us at ISU

If our coach can get the team to play every quarter likes its the 2nd half we will be outstanding, but that has been a problem over the past 10 years regardless of coach or player. We either do great and play to hold the lead or get so far back we play to come from behind....why not just play to win dangit!
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; September 5, 2012 at 06:24pm.

Snappy Threader
    I saw Purdue beat up on Eastern Kentucky pretty badly, but.....no player had over 100 yeards receiving or rushing and they spread the ball around pretty good. What I take issue with the most is (and I will use older terms here) I-A schools scheduling I-AA schools. Sure it helps them get another win toward bowl eligibility but some of those schools just get hammered, and the smaller schools will take the money from the bigger programs. I mean, Purdue plays Ball State every now and then and always blasts them, and Ball State is a I-A program, but at least it would be more competetive than some of them. Don't get me wrong, I love when they get a win over anybody, but a lot of schools are basically paying for bowl eligibility when they squeak by with 6 wins per year one of them being against a I-AA school. Or, if you are an Indiana Hoosier fan, they should schedule as many I-AA teams as they can because they can barely beat them much less any I-A team.

I was rooting on my Buckeyes this past weekend. They didn't look so good in the first quarter, but they managed to turn things around.

Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    I saw Purdue beat up on Eastern Kentucky pretty badly, but.....no player had over 100 yeards receiving or rushing and they spread the ball around pretty good. What I take issue with the most is (and I will use older terms here) I-A schools scheduling I-AA schools. Sure it helps them get another win toward bowl eligibility but some of those schools just get hammered, and the smaller schools will take the money from the bigger programs. I mean, Purdue plays Ball State every now and then and always blasts them, and Ball State is a I-A program, but at least it would be more competetive than some of them. Don't get me wrong, I love when they get a win over anybody, but a lot of schools are basically paying for bowl eligibility when they squeak by with 6 wins per year one of them being against a I-AA school. Or, if you are an Indiana Hoosier fan, they should schedule as many I-AA teams as they can because they can barely beat them much less any I-A team.
    Yeah, the I-A vs I-AA problem is an awkward one. There are substantial financial rewards for reaching 6-6 and bowl eligibility (not to mention the coverage, airtime, marketing opportunities, etc.), and the NCAA says one win against a I-AA team can count towards your record. So you can't really blame I-A schools for scheduling a I-AA opponent.

From the I-AA schools' point of view, many of their athletic programs are in desperate need of funding. If an $800,000 check from a I-A school will fund you for the year, it's hard to turn it down. Plus, there's always a chance that you'll win the game and gain your university a ton of press coverage (cough Appalachian State cough).

And it's not like the NCAA can outlaw playing I-AA schools, because there are a ton of in-state rivalries that involve I-A vs I-AA match-ups that the fans don't want to see go away.

Recently, all of the recent conference realignment as made it even worse. TCU, for example, backed out of their deal to join the Big East, but their Big East games had been scheduled already. If you're the AD in a situation like that, where do you find a team to fill the hole that suddenly appeared in your schedule? Unfortunately, playing a second I-AA team is sometimes the only way to fill all of your weekends.

I don't have a problem with the divisions playing, over the past few years we have seen some really close games and even some upsets. It goes a long way in helping the smaller school and I think serves as a wakeup call that the larger school just cannot put it on autopilot.

Are there some overwhelming defeats, yes but in the grand scheme of things those schools will find solace instead of embarrassment in the financial help the game gives to their budget.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Upset call of the day -- remember you hear it here first: Missouri's going to beat Georgia.

Out for the evening with my gal to see the Huskers take apart UCLA.

GO STATE!!!! very proud of the Cyclones but my god we have to stop turning over the ball. Its a miracle we won with 4 turnovers. Other than that though we dominated in every stat from time of possession to yardage. It was a nice change from what we saw last weekend.

Upset call of the day -- remember you hear it here first: Missouri's going to beat Georgia.

Out for the evening with my gal to see the Huskers take apart UCLA.
    Well Missouri did have Georgia's number early on, I really did think that upset was going to happen. Then Georgia woke up

The Nebraska game was really close, that safety though was like a dagger to the heart though. I was surprised Nebraska gave up as many yards passing as they did.

Still given the Big 10's teams this year I still like their chances to win it or finish high in it, I mean Penn St, Wisconsin and Iowa are going to have some real trouble this year. Wisconsin was especially surprising given they nearly lost to Northern Iowa last week and then lost this week.

As always, you're both gracious and generous, Mark -- admirable qualities in a winner.

The fact is, my formerly #14 Huskers were pathetic in that game. They were flat, the D never showed up, they got pushed around by an unranked team and I don't even recognize this week's Martinez. The problem, as always (think Northwestern last year) is that the Huskers have no consistency. They can win a big game and then drop one to an unranked team. That's not the way you stay in the top ten and sometimes it's not the way you even stay ranked.

Thanks for the nod about Mizzou, but that didn't turn our right for me either. I am, however, happy about ISU. They've got some tough games coming up, but they look strong and I'm really pulling for them (and you) this year.

As for me, being weary of politics and disappointed in football I think I'm going to take up knitting to occupy myself this fall. Sheesh!
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    GO STATE!!!! very proud of the Cyclones but my god we have to stop turning over the ball. Its a miracle we won with 4 turnovers. Other than that though we dominated in every stat from time of possession to yardage. It was a nice change from what we saw last weekend.

Well Missouri did have Georgia's number early on, I really did think that upset was going to happen. Then Georgia woke up

The Nebraska game was really close, that safety though was like a dagger to the heart though. I was surprised Nebraska gave up as many yards passing as they did.

Still given the Big 10's teams this year I still like their chances to win it or finish high in it, I mean Penn St, Wisconsin and Iowa are going to have some real trouble this year. Wisconsin was especially surprising given they nearly lost to Northern Iowa last week and then lost this week.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; September 9, 2012 at 11:48am.

I think UCLA will be a top team in the Pac-12 this year. Nebraska is probably headed for another 8-4 type season. Nebraska has had pretty good kicking over the years, but Maher has been very inconsistent in his punting and kicking this year so far which can hurt momentum. This is a guy that is supposed to be an All-American. The defense and offense looked ok at times. I kind of feel like if the Huskers score over 20 points then the offense did their job and it is then the defense's job to win the game. The defense was put in some bad spots at times, though.

Iowa State needs to learn that it is ok to throw on first down every once in awhile. I was cheering them on to win, but they can be frustrating to watch at times.

Iowa State needs to learn that it is ok to throw on first down every once in awhile. I was cheering them on to win, but they can be frustrating to watch at times.
    Yeah, and some of the calls are so repetitive it's like "gee I wonder why that did not
    work"

I can't wait to see them take on WVU, even if we lose I think it will
    be interesting

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, and some of the calls are so repetitive it's like "gee I wonder why that did not
    work"

I can't wait to see them take on WVU, even if we lose I think it will
    be interesting