Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2012 - 2013 College Football Thread

Master of New Adventures!
    Well given their remaining schedule that's a distinct possibility. Kim and I spent Saturday night at Buffalo Wild Wings watching the Nebraska/Ohio state with a rabid (and fun) Ohio State couple. It was interesting and poignant to watch them. They were alternately thrilled at the game yet despondent over the season. Talk about being tragically conflicted. I felt sorry for them...
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Would it be funny (And Ironic) if Ohio State finished undefeated?
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; October 7, 2012 at 04:38pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Well given their remaining schedule that's a distinct possibility. Kim and I spend Saturday night at Buffalo Wild Wings watching the Nebraska/Ohio state with a rabid (and fun) Ohio State couple. It was interesting and poignant to watch them. They were alternately thrilled at the game yet despondent over the season. Talk about being tragically conflicted. I felt sorry for them...
    Well it's only one year Jack...

If things go as good as they should/are I'd forfit a year...

Yeah. I think Meyer's going to build a dynasty there. He's pretty good at that.

Well it's only one year Jack...

If things go as good as they should/are I'd forfit a year...

Ohio State may go undefeated, but I think it would be attributed more to their weak non-conference schedule and below average Big Ten competition this year. I just don't see them contending for a national championship even if they were allowed to. I look forward to 2 1/2 more years of Braxton Miller though. Once he gets the passing game down, he's going to be something special at OSU.

I'm not saying they would be contenders for a national championship. As all who know me know, I have always felt the Crimson Tide -- who I revere almost as much as my pathetic Cornhuskers -- is a lock ("ROLL TIDE, ROLL"!). I'm just saying it was sad to see this couple that were Ohio State fans agonizing over the fact that an excellent program won't even have a shot at a BSC bowl game that it, imo, deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    Ohio State may go undefeated, but I think it would be attributed more to their weak non-conference schedule and below average Big Ten competition this year. I just don't see them contending for a national championship even if they were allowed to. I look forward to 2 1/2 more years of Braxton Miller though. Once he gets the passing game down, he's going to be something special at OSU.

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    After LSU's recent performances, I kind of suspected Florida would beat them this year. Honestly, I'm suprised they are still the highest ranked one loss team.

South Carolina looked really impressive in their game. I wasn't expected it to be so lopsided.

I didn't even realize Florida State lost until just now. I haven't watched them this year, but I definitely wasn't expecting that.

The Big10 nightmare season continues... Not a single team ranked in the Coaches' poll. And the AP poll's not much better with just Michigan at #25 (no, Ohio State doesn't count). Louisiana Tech is ranked in both polls. The Big East has 3 teams ranked in both polls (not counting Boise State, which joins next season). Things do not look good for the Big10 right now.

Michigan, MSU, Nebraska and Wisconsin ALL have two losses already - and each of those teams, except Michigan, has a conference loss. Michigan, MSU and Nebraska all still have to play each other. Michigan also has OSU. Wisconsin has MSU and OSU still on their schedule. I thought it was bad when 6-6 UCLA had to play in the Pac-12 title game because USC was ineligible. We might not see a 6-loss team in the Big10 title game, but it is looking like we might see two 3- or 4-loss teams face off. Awful.

To all of the Ohio State haters.....

Scoreboard you may not like them but you have to give them props...

Ohio State is ineligible for "props" this season.
    Last edited by ksensor; October 8, 2012 at 11:35am.

Oh but of course Ohio State counts. The fact that they're not listed in the Coaches poll because they're bowl game ineligible takes nothing away from the fact that they've performed well this year.

That said, it's been a tough year for the Big 10, but I still believe there's a lot of talent there. No way we're remotely talking about anything approaching the SEC, but they're still entertaining teams to watch and they give it their all.

Quote Originally Posted by ksensor View Post
    The Big10 nightmare season continues... Not a single team ranked in the Coaches' poll. And the AP poll's not much better with just Michigan at #25 (no, Ohio State doesn't count). Louisiana Tech is ranked in both polls. The Big East has 3 teams ranked in both polls (not counting Boise State, which joins next season). Things do not look good for the Big10 right now.

Michigan, MSU, Nebraska and Wisconsin ALL have two losses already - and each of those teams, except Michigan, has a conference loss. Michigan, MSU and Nebraska all still have to play each other. Michigan also has OSU. Wisconsin has MSU and OSU still on their schedule. I thought it was bad when 6-6 UCLA had to play in the Pac-12 title game because USC was ineligible. We might not see a 6-loss team in the Big10 title game, but it is looking like we might see two 3- or 4-loss teams face off. Awful.

Ohio State is ineligible for "props" this season.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; October 8, 2012 at 01:32pm.

ISU is ranked #28 in one poll and #25 in the other. The K-State game will be interesting.

And has anyone been watching West Virginia, they appear to be taking on the method of all offense no defense to overpower their opponents They are entertaining to watch but I am not sure how that is going to go for them as the season goes on.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Oh but of course Ohio State counts. The fact that they're not listed in the Coaches poll because they're bowl game ineligible takes nothing away from the fact that they've performed well this year.

That said, it's been a tough year for the Big 10, but I still believe there's a lot of talent there. No way we're remotely talking about anything approaching the SEC, but they're still entertaining teams to watch and they give it their all.
    Nope, Ohio State is 100% irrelevant. They're ineligible from all post-season play, so their season is essentially pointless to me and many, many other non-Buckeye fans. It's a shame the AP still ranks ineligible teams, but since their poll doesn't mean anything anyway, I guess they just do whatever they want.

I'm normally a Big10 guy, but there's little to no quality football being played in that conference right now. The rankings don't lie. Michigan at #25 - and that's it for the conference. One "division" with only 4 eligible teams. Not a single Heisman contender in the whole conference, except for Braxton Miller, who plays for an ineligible team. Nice. And a non-conference season that included an 0-3 record against Notre Dame, a 1-3 mark against the Pac-12 and - to top it off - three losses to teams from the MAC.

It's a crappy year for Big10 football, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

And the worst part? The worst part will be watching the Big10 get stomped in the bowls. Every team that finishes behind OSU will have to move up a spot to take on a tougher opponent (two spots if they finish behind PSU). Their bowl record was bad before. Just wait until they face teams that, by record, should be facing a tougher opponent. At this point, an 0-8 conference record in the bowls wouldn't shock me.

The fact that Muhammad Ali was ineligible to box for a number of years did nothing to change the fact that he was the greatest fighter there was during those times of ineligibility. There is a difference between being ineligible and being irrelevant. Being bowl ineligible does not mean they are irrelevant. Ask Nebraska if they think Ohio State is irrelevant. Ohio State is a quality program and that's coming from someone who's beloved team just received a harp seal clubbing from them that knocked Nebraska out of the rankings. Any time a team can knock another team out of the rankings I'd respectfully submit that they're relevant.

Nope, Ohio State is 100% irrelevant. They're ineligible from all post-season play, so their season is essentially pointless to me and many, many other non-Buckeye fans. It's a shame the AP still ranks ineligible teams, but since their poll doesn't mean anything anyway, I guess they just do whatever they want.

I'm normally a Big10 guy, but there's little to no quality football being played in that conference right now. The rankings don't lie. Michigan at #25 - and that's it for the conference. One "division" with only 4 eligible teams. Not a single Heisman contender in the whole conference, except for Braxton Miller, who plays for an ineligible team. Nice. And a non-conference season that included an 0-3 record against Notre Dame, a 1-3 mark against the Pac-12 and - to top it off - three losses to teams from the MAC.

It's a crappy year for Big10 football, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

And the worst part? The worst part will be watching the Big10 get stomped in the bowls. Every team that finishes behind OSU will have to move up a spot to take on a tougher opponent (two spots if they finish behind PSU). Their bowl record was bad before. Just wait until they face teams that, by record, should be facing a tougher opponent. At this point, an 0-8 conference record in the bowls wouldn't shock me.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; October 8, 2012 at 04:04pm.

The fact that Muhammad Ali was ineligible to box for a number of years did nothing to change the fact that he was the greatest fighter there was during those times of ineligibility. There is a difference between being ineligible and being irrelevant. Being bowl ineligible does not mean they are irrelevant. Ask Nebraska if they think Ohio State is irrelevant. Ohio State is a quality program and that's coming from someone who's beloved team just received a harp seal clubbing from them that knocked Nebraska out of the rankings. Any time a team can knock another team out of the rankings I'd respectfully submit that they're relevant.
    Well because your honest and respectful Jack alot of people are not..

Funny most people in Ohio Love Ohio State..(Always have) but some will hate them for whatever reason it's like living in Cleveland and having to deal with bandwagon Steelers fans that were born in Ohio...

Trust me, Mega...as a Nebraska fan I get that.

Well because your honest and respectful Jack alot of people are not..

Funny most people in Ohio Love Ohio State..(Always have) but some will hate them for whatever reason it's like living in Cleveland and having to deal with bandwagon Steelers fans that were born in Ohio...

12 Remaining Undefeated Teams

Big 12
    Kansas State

Big East
    Rutgers
    Louisville
    Cincinnati

Big 10
    Ohio State (ineligible)

Independent
    Notre Dame

Mid-American
    Ohio

Pac-12
    Oregon
    Oregon State

SEC
    Florida
    Alabama
    Mississippi State

The ranks of the undefeated say good-bye to West Virginia, South Carolina, UTSA & Louisiana Tech.
    Last edited by ksensor; October 15, 2012 at 12:27pm.

Even though we lost ISU played one heck of a game, too many penalties and mistakes but to come away only losing to the #6 team by one score is great imho.

And I told you guys WV was playing with no defense, its the same thing that hurt Texas Tech in the past. You can't let your opponent score based on the notion you are just too awesome at offense to match it, of course I did not think it would only take 1 week to expose that
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Michigan/Nebraska game day.

Nebraska wins they break into the rankings again and are on track to win the Legends Division and compete in the Big 10 Conference Game. We lose and it's Armageddon.

And so, for Huskers fans, it all comes down to this.

Michigan/Nebraska game day.

Nebraska wins they break into the rankings again and are on track to win the Legends Division and compete in the Big 10 Conference Game. We lose and it's Armageddon.

And so, for Huskers fans, it all comes down to this.
    So in short it could be a very bad weekend for you if they lose

The game of the day for me is Notre Dame vs OK, interested to see if Notre Dame can remain undefeated

You got it, Marky...although Kim and I are still basking in the afterglow of attending the Northwestern/Nebraska game last Saturday and watching two amazing fourth quarter defensive stands and a Martinez touchdown drive to win the game in the last minute.

Kim had five stitches yesterday from a pretty grisly pumpkin-carving accident, so I'm pulling for the Huskers to lift her spirits tonight.

We're also huge Notre Dame fans, BTW. As I think you know, Kim's an executive with the American Cancer Society and this summer she mounted the Coaches vs. Cancer golf outing sponsored by ND's basketball coach Mike Brey. They raised over a hundred thousand dollars for cancer research on that weekend. Add in that Kim's cousin is Notre Dame Heisman Award-winner Johnny Lujack and the fact that all three of our children will eventually attend thirty-miles-from-us Notre Dame and I've got one really conflicted Irish wife. Still, she delights in pointing out that when Nebraska played ND in South Bend the stadium was a sea of red.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    So in short it could be a very bad weekend for you if they lose

The game of the day for me is Notre Dame vs OK, interested to see if Notre Dame can remain undefeated

GO STATE!! Man is ISU much better than their record, they need to capitalize on turnovers and catch easy balls. We beat Baylor but we easily could have been up 21-7 in just the first few minutes.

I watch Kansas State and just have to roll my eyes because nobody else has put them through the paces like ISU but we get no credit for losing to them by only 6. Oh well one more win and we go to a Bowl, its been a great many years since I was able to say that this early

So who do you like more Jack, Notre Dame or Nebraska? Nebraska with a nice win, although the starting Michigan QB didn't play in the second half. Martinez looked a little injured, but had a couple nice runs. I hope Birkhead isn't out for too long.

We're back, baby!!! Want an incredible college football night spent with my Irish angel in Buffalo Wild Wings, both of us quaffing Guinnesses, high fiving and cheering both Nebraska and Notre Dame on to victory! Couldn't decide which big screen to watch.

Your question's an excellent one and a tough deal for me to answer. My Kim is the joy of my life and she's a Nebraska alum...she's yet also cousin of Notre Dame Heisman Award-winner Johnny Lujack. When we lived in Boca Raton, Florida I became a rabid convert, attending all three national championship games. Look, Nebraska's got four things going for it -- corn-fed beef, life insurance, football and drop dead gorgeous, crimson-haired, azure-eyed Irish gals. I'm fortunate beyond measure to have all four in my life.

That said, all my straight-A children will definitely go straight from Marquette High School to Notre Dame. So let's call the decision as to which I favor -- Nebraska or Notre Dame -- a blessed draw. All I can do is guarentee to you that after tonight I traverse the stairway to heaven that is the second floor of home, where my bedroom lies, that I will, later, drift off to sleep a most happy man.

GO BIG RED!

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    So who do you like more Jack, Notre Dame or Nebraska? Nebraska with a nice win, although the starting Michigan QB didn't play in the second half. Martinez looked a little injured, but had a couple nice runs. I hope Birkhead isn't out for too long.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; October 28, 2012 at 12:13am.

Remaining Games for Undefeated Teams

Big 12
    Kansas State - vs OK St, at TCU, at Baylor, vs Texas

Big East
    Louisville - vs Temple, at Syracuse, vs UConn, at Rutgers

Big 10
    Ohio State (ineligible) - vs Illinois, at Wisconsin, vs Michigan

Independent
    Notre Dame - vs Pitt, at Boston College, vs Wake Forest, at USC

Pac-12
    Oregon - at Cal, vs Stanford, at Oregon State

SEC
    Alabama - at LSU, vs Texas A&M, vs W. Carolina, vs Auburn

Which team has the easiest remaining schedule? Who has the toughest road? And which teams, if any, will make it through the regular season undefeated?

I'd say that Louisville has the easiest road to an undefeated season, then Notre Dame. Kansas State and Oregon look to me like they have the toughest schedules still to go. As far which teams might make it, I'd guess Ohio State won't - they've had too many close games so far. Louisville could run the table... I wouldn't be shocked if you told me Bama, KSU or Oregon went undefeated.

For us -- with both Nebraska and Notre Dame winning huge games -- this was obviously the best Saturday of the season so far. So many folks at Buffalo Wild Wings coming up to us Nebraska-jacket-wearing Huskers fans to congratulate us. Very nice and much appreciated. It's what college football is about, imo.

It's increasingly looking like Nebraska will somehow manage to pull out a respectable season after all. Fingers crossed. GO BIG RED!!!

Remaining Games for Undefeated Teams

Big 12
    Kansas State - vs OK St, at TCU, at Baylor, vs Texas

Big East
    Louisville - vs Temple, at Syracuse, vs UConn, at Rutgers

Big 10
    Ohio State (ineligible) - vs Illinois, at Wisconsin, vs Michigan

Independent
    Notre Dame - vs Pitt, at Boston College, vs Wake Forest, at USC

Pac-12
    Oregon - at Cal, vs Stanford, at Oregon State

SEC
    Alabama - at LSU, vs Texas A&M, vs W. Carolina, vs Auburn

Which team has the easiest remaining schedule? Who has the toughest road? And which teams, if any, will make it through the regular season undefeated?

I'd say that Louisville has the easiest road to an undefeated season, then Notre Dame. Kansas State and Oregon look to me like they have the toughest schedules still to go. As far which teams might make it, I'd guess Ohio State won't - they've had too many close games so far. Louisville could run the table... I wouldn't be shocked if you told me Bama, KSU or Oregon went undefeated.

I went to the ISU vs. Oklahoma game yesterday. ISU got a couple turnovers, but only got FGs out of it. I thought they got screwed right before half time on a offensive PI TD. The ISU offense didn't play well enough to win, though. They had a few dropped balls and the QB didn't look very good.

I was glad to see Nebraska come from behind to win yet again.

Thanks for that, Firefly.

Well imo this was the single most exciting day of college football all year! The Notre Dame game was amazing. How they won I still don't know, but I do know that my Kim -- who is Notre Dame Heisman Award-winner Johnny Lujack's cousin -- was ecstatic with the triple overtime victory. The Alabama/LSU game was fantastic. What a great game! As many know, I'm a Crimson Tide fan in addition to being a Nebraska fantatic. But I have to say, in this instance, I was pulling for LSU. Heartbreaker.

Oregon, K-State, lots of other fantastic games. And, of course, the Nebraska/Michigan State game was the creme de la creme for us! With the clock ticking down and Nebraska behind by ten I really thought it was over this time. And yet Martinez pulls still another incredible last minute drive and last second TD. I can't take too many more of these down-double-digits-in-the-4th-quarter comebacks!

Nebraska's fate in the Big 10 Legends Division is in its own hands now, and my own hands are still shaking from this game. I can't wait to see the rankings after a number of teams in the teens fell. Gotta think Nebraska is 16 or 17.

GO BIG RED!!!

EDIT: Nebraska just came out 16 in the Coaches' Poll and 18 in the always-anti-Nebraska-laughably-biased AP Poll. No problem. BCS will have them at 16 or 17 and the AP Poll will, once again, look like the prejudiced, uninformed dolts they truly are.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I went to the ISU vs. Oklahoma game yesterday. ISU got a couple turnovers, but only got FGs out of it. I thought they got screwed right before half time on a offensive PI TD. The ISU offense didn't play well enough to win, though. They had a few dropped balls and the QB didn't look very good.

I was glad to see Nebraska come from behind to win yet again.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; November 4, 2012 at 12:37pm.