Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Memory Lane: When did you find out about Classics and what happened next?

Heroic Warrior
    I have been an off and on visitor/lurker to the .org since around 2000/2001. I probably first heard that MOTUC was coming out via this site, but it was Pixel Dan's reviews that convinced me to start collecting the line. So Dan should get a percentage of every dollar I've given to Mattel. So, Mattel, when are you sending him a check? He's probably led more people to collect these figures than anyone else.

On the other hand, I guess Dan is also somehow responsible for the hundreds of dollars I have spent each year on the sub.

DAN!!!!!!!!!
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    I saw King Grayskull in the MYP DVD, then heard the rest here on the Org, back in 2008.

I went online and ordered He-Man and Beast Man (2 of each) and waited happily.

And THEN...I had my FIRST (of MANY) negative experience with Digital River. My order didn't come, didn't come, didn't come...after a series of fruitless phone calls, I decided to re-order, just in case and figured I could just dispute the original charges later if the figures never came.

That was when I experienced my first sell-out.

Almost immediately after seeing that I couldn't re-order them, I received an email from DR, stating that my order had been cancelled and my funds returned to my account.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?

The end of this adventure is that I had to procure both He-Man and Beast Man on the secondary market...for a HUGE mark-up.

I love the line...but my love for the Four Horsemen's work on MOTU shares almost the same birthday with my BLIND HATRED for all things Digital River.
    That's funny, the first time I orderd from matty was 2 orkos and had to wait 4 months and get a reorder before they arrived.

That was my first DR experiance and therefore I share the same blind hatred
    I have the real power!

My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/orkothewizard?feature=mhee

Heroic Warrior
    I have no idea, how I found out about the Classics, all I know is I was hooked since I got my first Skeletor on February, Friday 13th 2009...

I was hooked the moment the He-Man proto was shown from people attending SDCC several years ago. Once Grayskull was shown I had to have it and every single figure since!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

I came back here in 2008 after having quit the site (as boring) about 8 years before. I was looking for a Filmation soundtrack, only to stumble into 200x, which I'd never hear of (I don't watch TV). Just as I started hunting down the 200x cartoons, I got a double-dose of new MOTU stuff as MOTUC got announced within a month of so of my return. I ordered Beastman within the first 5 minutes of him coming out (before there was a Screen Of Death) & ached endlessly until he arrived
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Heroic Warrior
    I cannot recall exactly how I found out about the line. Stratos was my first figure from Matty, though. The main thing I collected at the time was GI Joe 25th Anniversary (talk about a frustrating line), so I probably found out about MOTUC from ToyFare Magazine or another toy news website.
    Positive Transactions:

As buyer: boggs32, PaTrIcKfOgArTy, Dorko2, Shecky, Shenlon (2),
    Son of Keldor

As seller: mikethedrummer, slgcmg, kngfu
    DJjoker182, bobtheodd, mahuti, FAKER II, General Hawk 7

EBay: StLouisStallions

Once I saw this pic at SDCC in I believe 2007, MOTU 25th Anniversary, I was hooked.

At first, as I remember it, the 4H had made it on their own and presented it to Mattel at SDCC as an idea for a new line. Mattel liked it so much that they asked the 4H if they could put it with the mini He-Man display Mattel had. So many people saw the figure and asked if He-Man was back. I think that planted the seed for the Classics line. Fast forward to 2008 and I'm ordering He-Man and Beastman from a website I'd never heard of named Mattycollector.com. It's funny, i think I waited 2 weeks before ordering He-Man and Beastman and had no problem ordering them.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    I joined the Org, originally, in the summer of 2001, as soon as I saw the original 4Horsemen prototypes in Tomart's Action Figure Digest #90. I was active during the entire 200x run but by 2004, the line was dead and I was busy finishing up my BFA. I returned in 2006 to catch up on the staction line, and had to re-register.

In winter 2008, I was at NYCC for the official announcement of the Classics line (preceded by my first viewing of "Powers of Grayskull", which I'd apparently missed during the original cartoon run). I was among those who LOL'ed hard as Unemployed Skeletor let out a "Wahoo!" when Scott confirmed Skeletor was planned for the line (ToyGuru was tight-lipped about every aspect of the line at that early date).

I was here when the He-Man prototype popped up at SDCC in 2007, I got King Grayskull from a friend who usually picks up my ComicCon needs every year, and I reluctantly bought the first few figures intending only to get the "Original 8 Back" characters. I was adamant not to get sucked back into the completist mentality, but once Faker was announced as the NYCC exclusive in 2009, I broke that promise and gave in. I've held 2 subscriptions since the last quarter of 2009. I currently have over 75 MOTUC figures including characters with alternate heads and bodies (Marlena, Kronis, Living Dead Megator, etc) and color variants (Christmas Grayskull, TRU repaints, etc) and I have no desire or intention to quit until the line dies out.

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    I saw a mention about the line in Toyfare. I had dabbled a little in the 200x line, mostly because I was excited to see He-Man back for sale, but as I wasn't a fan of the new look I only lasted about 8 figures into it. Seeing the info about this new upcoming line was very exciting.

I actually forgot about the He-Man release date, and then went as far as to put a He-Man and Beastman in my cart before I stopped and decided to take a pass on the line since I assumed it would end before it got to most of the figures I wanted. I was also collecting a number of other things at the time

I finally buckled with the sale of Zodac, a figure I'd never had any version of, but he was lingering and I decided to give him a shot. I loved him, bought the previous figures loose as a single lot on ebay, bought the rest of the figures up till the first sub, and went in on subs the first chance I got.

I'll admit that the cost involved in collecting the line has forced me to limit the other collections I continue to build, but this definitely is my favorite toy line right now, and I definitely think it's worth it.

I remember the announcement about them in Toyfare. But never gave it much thought. Then started watching Pixel Dan's reviews. Made me really want some of the figures. Finally caved and bought She-Ra last year. That opened the flood gates and i started picking up ally the figures i wanted that were already out. My collection has grown considerably since She-Ra
    But we mustn't dwell. No, not today. We Can't! Not on Rex Manning Day!

I never saw the prototype at the 2007 SDCC, cause at that time I wasn't collecting anything from Mattel and didn't swing by. I was at the Mattel SDCC panel in 2008 when they announced the upcoming figures. I was intrigued, but not enough to bother to pick up King Grayskull. I never watched the MYP show and had no interest in the character. I really only cared about getting a Trapjaw, but in late Dec. 2008, I pulled the trigger and bought a He-Man and Beast-Man, just before they sold out. I figured I would resell them if I got tired with the line. They really looked great in person. Along with the sell out and general online buzz, I picked up Grayskull on Ebay. No interest in the Bronze Statue version and just a little ticked (still am) about the Blue Spirit version. Cut to the He-Ro exclusive and the announcement at the 2009 SDCC Matty panel that Mattel was planning to hit every He-Man canon and merge them into one, I was hooked. I bought the first 4-month subscription and have maintained 1 ever since. The bumps in the road have not been fun, but the overall direction of the line and the 4 Horsemen sculpts are what's keeping me in. And the Filmation announcement last year sealed it. I now live for the reveals and reviews!

Two words...... Pixel Dan.

I collected Marvel Legends and was starting to pick up DCUC figures when I was browsing youtube and stumbled across Pixel Dan's videos "The many versions of He-Man" those videos led me to his reviews of the MOTUC line and an obsession was born. Thanks Pixel Dan!
    Articulated-Comic-Book-Art Facebook group
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/186144664749556/ -
    He-Man.org feedback
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=208726

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah Pixel Dan's videos are like crack! They result in instant addiction!

Heroic Warrior
    I hadn't done much with my site for a while, and hadn't really thought about MOTU very much. It was just plain luck that, for some unknown reason, I picked early 2009 to revisit the MOTU. It was then I found out about the MOTUC. Fortunately I was only a couple of months behind and picked up a couple of figures on Ebay to catch up. Anyway, the new figures renewed my interest, allowed me to add a new section to Vaults, and encouraged me to write more fan fiction stories for my Grayskull Saga. The online minicomics came later.

So pure luck for me (although my bank account would dispute that).
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

I think my story is completely different to everyone else's as (don't hate me too much!) I'm not primarily a MOTU fan. *Shock, horror!* Cartoon wise I've always been a TransFan, right from when I was a nipper. As I recall, Saturday morning TV consisted of some real corkers here; Transformers, M.A.S.K, ThunderCats, TMHT (Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles because ninja was somehow too violent a word for British kiddies!), Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors and He-Man. And, of course, Roland Rat presenting! So I was a He-Man and later a She-Ra fan as a kid and I had some of the toys. Then I grew up... for a few years anyway!

Fast forward several years (like I'm gonna tell you lot how old I am!) and I'd been keeping abreast of Ghostbusters video game news, but not much else. I knew the Video Game was due for release so I kept checking the website. I eventually bought and played the game and loved it. Then I remembered there were some PC wallpapers on the website, so I went back to see what they were. I noticed a link that said something like, "Click here for toys!". Really? What toys? *Click* Oh man, my head nearly exploded! GB figures! And of course, as this was early 2010, everything was sold out (but of course, now we all know what that means now, don't we?!) so I was gutted. I didn't bother looking at the rest of the site. I managed to pick up the GB toys I'd missed and kept an eye on the website for future releases. At this point I noticed that the same people were selling He-Man toys too, but I told myself I couldn't afford them, just stick with the GB stuff. Besides, who's this Optikk fellow anyway, I don't remember seeing him in the 80's cartoon?

So I carried on collecting the GB figures, determined not to get sucked into the He-Man stuff. I passed on Trap Jaw and a few others... and then I gave in! Although He-Man wasn't my #1 favourite cartoon as a kid (Transformers will always hold that honour) it was one of a handful of 'toons I watched and enjoyed and the thought of being able to get the figures my Mum couldn't afford to get me as a kid was too strong to ignore!

My first figures would have been She-Ra and Keldor, but I got the dreaded "Payment Autherisation Error" erm, error. To say I was angry when all I could do was sit and watch She-Ra sell out is an understatement. I was in full-on paddy mode! As it was, I managed to get her for a reasonable price from a UK seller, so she ended up about the same money as I would have spent from Matty. My first MOTUC Matty purchase was SDCC Orko, a figure I adore! And it just carried on from there.

Very few of my purchases now have any nostalgia to them as I only had a handful of the toys as a child. Getting He-Man (in the TRU 2-pack as it happens as I never thought he'd come back into stock because, you know, sold out!) though was a great feeling. Same with Battle Cat some months later. But the biggest nostalgia kick for me was putting She-Ra on Swifty! Oh man, that was a great feeling! I regret selling my She-Ra and Swifty so much, getting them again in an updated, non-rooted-hair design was just wonderful! Kobra Khan was the only other figure I had as a kid and, although I won't be able to chase the dog around whilst squirting him with water (no dog, no action feature) I am hoping the new Khan gives me the same kick as She-Ra and Swifty did.

So yeah, slightly circuitous route, but I got there in the end. I've since re-watched both Fimlation 'toons and the 200x one but, although I've tried my best to enjoy it, I just can't stomach the NA one. My interest in MOTU has increased a lot over the last couple of years. Once I'd "grown up" I'd pretty much forgotten about it except for seeing the odd t-shirt and saying, "Oh, I used to love He-Man as a kid!" now I'm back in the game and really enjoying it again! It'll never top Transformers *sacrilege!* but it's now a very close 2nd.

Time to revive this thread as I've noticed some new collectors on this site lately.I'm curious how you discovered this line.

I was the the NYCC panel when they announced the line.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

I found out about this while Christmas shopping for my sons at toy r us in December. I came across the Mer Man vs. Aqua Man, and the Stratos vs. Hawkman two packs. I immediately bought 4 sets of each and thanks to the wonderful world of ebay I found out about this entire line. And eventually my research lead me here. Which makes my obsession with them seem normal. So thank you all for that

I've been collecting from the beginning and saw an ad for He-Man and Beast-Man--maybe on this site? Ironically at the time I thought I wasn't going to collect the line due to having sooo much 200x stuff and didn't need to start another collection again Luckily, I saw the light and took the plunge and now I have a huge collection of the best toy line ever and my kid now plays with my inferior 200x figures

Heroic Warrior
    I found out about through the forum. My initial reaction was to not buy them. I just got finished collecting the 200x line and it got cancelled. I didn't want to buy into another line because it felt like starting over again. Eventually I decided to buy just the ones I really like. Once heman and beast andcame in I was hooked. I began selling my 200x line and dedicated my money to this one line. I gave up all my other toy collections and I've never looked back. I love this line and hope it goes beyond just the vintage figures. This is my favorite toyline, even above the original.

Heroic Warrior
    I saw the He-Man prototype in some online coverage of whatever convention it debuted at and I actively sought news about the prototype and what would become MOTUC from then onwards.

I couldn't order King Grayskull because of the electronic packaging, but I ordered He-Man and Beast Man and have added many more MOTUC figures to my collection since then.

2007 SDCC I saw the He Man prototype and the next year I ordered 2 King Grayskull`s and got one bronze and one regular then ordered He Man and Beastman that December and the rest is history

Quote Originally Posted by Thorek View Post
    I found out about this while Christmas shopping for my sons at toy r us in December. I came across the Mer Man vs. Aqua Man, and the Stratos vs. Hawkman two packs. I immediately bought 4 sets of each and thanks to the wonderful world of ebay I found out about this entire line. And eventually my research lead me here. Which makes my obsession with them seem normal. So thank you all for that
    I discovered the two packs the summer of 2011 at TRU.Did some online research and the rest was history.I probably would still be unaware of this line if I didn't set foot in TRU.

I found out about the line in Toyfare and was excited but confused how they were going about selling them on a website I had never heard of. When they launched I was in a relationship where my gf kept me from having fun and the first figures escaped me and I lost hope in catching up. Fast forward to last January and I made a friend who owns a toy shop and I began buying them like mad. I was caught up by April 2012 and my wife was and is extremely supportive of the purchases. Having been a MOTU fan since I can remember, I instantly fell in love with this line just like 200X. Having bought the entire line from the secondary market I avoided the DR nightmares. But now I'm a proud subber and hope to get a few more years out of this amazing line. I'm so proud of the collection I've amassed, and i truly enjoy rearranging them in battle scenes and displaying these amazing figures.

I first discovered the line through a review on the first King Greyskull on OAFE, but was discouraged when I saw it had sold out already. So, I waited a while. I would frequent OAFE and read their reviews on other figures. Kinda bummed what I was missing out on, but I could never get the sale days right. Wasn't to worried about it. Then one day at TRU I stumbled on the two packs. They must have just put them out, cause I was in that store at least once a week. So, I decided to pick them up. I was disappointed a bit when He-Man didn't come with a power sword, but still loved the figures. I still put off collecting the rest seeing the after market prices on them. Then finally I saw King Greyskull was getting a do-over, and came with two power swords. Sold! So, I made sure to get up before the sale started and hung out on the mattycollecter website for the sale to start. Bought the King. I figured it'd stop there, I was pretty big into Revoltech at the time. I really fell in love with the packaging design, the mailer box and all that, but still wasn't convinced. A few months later I saw Evil-Lyn was getting a reissue, so decided to get her. Then after seeing the concept characters they were making I decided to start collecting the line since it wasn't just the same old characters, they actually wanted to do something else with it. (Wundar stands out a lot, I love the idea of some obscure "was it real or not" sort of myth figure being made completely for fans) So I started collecting the line, and stayed strong up until recently.
    Stay free my Misery