Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Would not Be in Favor of Adding a Vehicle to the Sub?

Heroic Warrior

Who Would not Be in Favor of Adding a Vehicle to the Sub?

Scott has said again and again that they will not add a vehicle to the sub. That does not make any sense to me. Why can't Matty take one of the 4 beast slots a year and fill it with a vehicle? They gave us a $60 pricepoint this year, why then could they have not made the Wind Raider a part of the sub? Are there really that many sub holders who would not be in favor of adding a vehicle to the sub (as one of the 4 beast/oversize slots)? If cost is a concern for Matty, why is it impossible for them to nail down the cost on a vehicle when they can do the same for all other sub items? I am so confused.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Ehhh...I'm cool with the vehicles and big stuff like Granamyr being out of the sub. I was kinda on the fence about the Wind Raider as it was - I ended up buying it, but I liked having the choice. I want all the figures 'n such, but I still want to take each vehicle on a case by case basis. It's hard enough finding room for all the figures without worrying about vehicles.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Heroic Warrior
    If the inclusion in the sub is needed for a vehicle to happen, then i'm all for it!

Me! Sorry, I just don't want vehicles. I don't have the space for them, they'd just sit in the box in the garage. Either that or I'd have to faff about with eBay.

I'm sorry, I know a lot of people want more vehicles, but put it this way, loads of people didn't want the Star Sisters. (I've changed my mind about them, I quite like them now and I will display them.) Now, imagine how you'd feel (if you were one of the ones who didn't want them) having yet another unwanted item foisted on you. That'd be two large, expensive items you'd have to fork out for that you didn't want. That'll just put more people off subbing next year.

I've nothing against people having the items they want made, but I do have a problem buying stuff I otherwise wouldn't just because someone else wants it in the sub. $20 figures I can move on, bigger ones are a bigger problem.

So, for once, I'm happy with Scott saying no to something!

Put the vehicle in, or leave it out, just sell them to me.

Also let me combine shipping with my sub if they are out of the sub.
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Exinferis View Post
    Me! Sorry, I just don't want vehicles. I don't have the space for them, they'd just sit in the box in the garage. Either that or I'd have to faff about with eBay.

I'm sorry, I know a lot of people want more vehicles, but put it this way, loads of people didn't want the Star Sisters. (I've changed my mind about them, I quite like them now and I will display them.) Now, imagine how you'd feel (if you were one of the ones who didn't want them) having yet another unwanted item foisted on you. That'd be two large, expensive items you'd have to fork out for that you didn't want. That'll just put more people off subbing next year.

I've nothing against people having the items they want made, but I do have a problem buying stuff I otherwise wouldn't just because someone else wants it in the sub. $20 figures I can move on, bigger ones are a bigger problem.

So, for once, I'm happy with Scott saying no to something!
    I guess my question has to do more with the majority view. As long as they tell us that one item will cost $xx, why can they not put the vehicle in the sub? Are there more people who don't want vehicles in the sub than there are who do? I guess Scott's answers don't make sense to me: He has said that they need the freedom to include/exclude things such as Granamyr, vehicles, etc. But why is it impossible to nail down the cost of a vehicle and include it in the sub when they go on sale in July?
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

I would like Vehicles as part of the sub. At most though, no more than two vehicles a year (one heroic / one evil).

I also think it is time to introduce the jetsled into the line. That is a "mini" vehicle that could retail for the same price as an action figure. It also serves as a cool display stand if you have a figure with loose ankle joints! Sell them in two or three different colors, and you can have jetsleds for Evil Warriors, Heroic Wariors, and Horde. The armor that allows figures to wear the jetpack on their back could be made similar to Icarius/Flipshot.

Last edited by Captain Atkin; January 26, 2012 at 04:11pm.

I'm feeling that no single item that is over $50 should be included in the sub. If they can keep the vehicles under $50, then include it in a slot held for a beast or multi-pack. (in other words, allow the vehicles to be included under the "Beast/multipack" umbrella.) I do feel that they should have one every year though. It really shouldn't matter if they tell the people prior to purchasing a sub that there is a vehicle included in the sub.

Maybe have a vote at SDCC over this one...

Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    But why is it impossible to nail down the cost of a vehicle and include it in the sub when they go on sale in July?
    I think with vehicles, it's harder for Mattel to know just how much to charge until the thing is actually tooled. Each vehicle is 100% unique. And oftentimes things need to change from prototype to final production. Leaving these really large items out of the subscription leaves Mattel open to charge as much as necessary.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

I don't need vehicles in the sub. Isn't the subscription not expensive enough as it is ?
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

If they keep $40 and $60 SKUs in the sub, I don't see why one of those slots couldn't be a vehicle. I'd much rather have vehicles instead of more giants, obscure 3-packs, or creatures no one asked for.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanSD View Post
    If they keep $40 and $60 SKUs in the sub, I don't see why one of those slots couldn't be a vehicle. I'd much rather have vehicles instead of more giants, obscure 3-packs, or creatures no one asked for.
    Agreed... I'd be up for it as long as it was part of the 4 Beast/Multipacks for the year and not in addition to those.
    Bill :: guitargod694

I think vehicles should be outside the sub. I love the Wind Raider, and I'd buy Battle Ram... but to be honest there are a lot of vehicles I'd pass on. I love this line, but I'd rather focus on characters than vehicles, partly due to space reasons.

Can I have sub Sub just made of Vehicles? Where 4 are released throughout the year. Priced at $200 I'd get behind that, whatever I don't want I'd just unload. Never going to happen though.

Heroic Warrior
    Yes please! Put one in the sub per year. Seems like the only way we will get another vehicle out of this line.

I guess my question has to do more with the majority view.
    Then why ask the question? Surely a poll would have been more effective for "the majority view"?

As long as they tell us that one item will cost $xx, why can they not put the vehicle in the sub? Are there more people who don't want vehicles in the sub than there are who do?
    Maybe there is. I know a few other people who'd buy vehicles but don't want them in the sub. I may be in the minority, but I don't see why my finances should be stretched buying something I've no interest in just because 2% more people do want it. Do you see?

I guess Scott's answers don't make sense to me: He has said that they need the freedom to include/exclude things such as Granamyr, vehicles, etc. But why is it impossible to nail down the cost of a vehicle and include it in the sub when they go on sale in July?
    Probably because of what happened with the Wind Raider. It was slated for a $40 price tag but went up to $45, what, a week before release?

Your view here is, "I want vehicles and I want them in the sub and to hell with anyone else". This is kind of like me saying, "I only want Filmation characters and to ensure I get them everyone else should buy them too". We all have preferences as to who/what we'd like to see first.

The obvious solution is letting sub holders either add a vehicle sub to their exiting sub and/or open up sales 24 hours before the items go on general sale and allowing sub holders to combine shipping on their sub and day-before-day-of-sale purchases!

I'm perfectly fine with them adding Vehicles to the sub... But I and my wallet would prefer, that it mingle 'n' mix with beasts and giants.
    I don't know why exactly they feel the need to separate them, in the end, in packaging and price, are "larger than standard figure" items.

Maybe I'm missing something?
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

I actually want the beasts OUT of the sub. Not feeling vehicles being ADDED at all.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Exinferis View Post
    Then why ask the question? Surely a poll would have been more effective for "the majority view"?

Maybe there is. I know a few other people who'd buy vehicles but don't want them in the sub. I may be in the minority, but I don't see why my finances should be stretched buying something I've no interest in just because 2% more people do want it. Do you see?

Probably because of what happened with the Wind Raider. It was slated for a $40 price tag but went up to $45, what, a week before release?

Your view here is, "I want vehicles and I want them in the sub and to hell with anyone else". This is kind of like me saying, "I only want Filmation characters and to ensure I get them everyone else should buy them too". We all have preferences as to who/what we'd like to see first.

The obvious solution is letting sub holders either add a vehicle sub to their exiting sub and/or open up sales 24 hours before the items go on general sale and allowing sub holders to combine shipping on their sub and day-before-day-of-sale purchases!
    You're reading too much into my post. I don't want to force vehicles on anyone, and I just wanted to start a discussion. The more popular view should reign in either case. Why should I be forced not to have vehicles in the sub just because 2 percent more don't want them? I'm not talking about making the sub more expensive, I'm talking about replacing one of the beast/multipack slots with a vehicle.

All I am saying is that Matty seems awfully sure that they can't put vehicles in the sub because people don't want that or because they don't know how much it will cost. How do they know? They already knew the WR tooling cost at SDCC, as the tool was made or in the process of being made. Did the price increase because the cost of plastic went up? But even that can be factored into the sub price. What would the difference have been in 2012, for example, if they could have produced, for example, a Roton, sell it for $60 to make a profit, and then put it in the sub instead of the Star Sisters?

I am not a Star Sister hater, I'm just using that pack as an example. Matty wants to guarantee a certain number of sales, and we all know the sub is the best way to do that. It is just confusing to me as to why they refuse to go down the route.

I would be perfectly fine with them replacing a large scale figure/beast with a vehicle in the sub. If they are weary about cost fluctuations, then give a max, like the sub will include one vehicle up to $60, and then if they can cost it out at $50, who is gonna complain?

Heroic Warrior
    if adding a vehicle to the sub will prevent mistakes or delays then I'm all for it.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    No thank you about vehicles in the subscription.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    I think with vehicles, it's harder for Mattel to know just how much to charge until the thing is actually tooled. Each vehicle is 100% unique. And oftentimes things need to change from prototype to final production. Leaving these really large items out of the subscription leaves Mattel open to charge as much as necessary.
    I think that is the deciding factor here; from what we've been told, the Raider came in a bit more expensive than they thought, thus the slight price increase. The beasts were a bit easier to geta handle on; basically, just a larger figure. The vehicles, if done like the Raider, have a lot more involved, and I can see where it wouldn't be as easy to nail down the price point until it's pretty well along. With the sub, they would have to have an exact price maybe as much as a year ahead of time.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I am going to buy them one way or another. That said, I do not think the vehicles and super large beast should be in the in subscription. At first I was for the all in subscription, until I realized that many people who may buy the subscription just don't want every thing. I think the subscription should have two tiers: 1) All in sub which would include only the quarterlies and monthlies & 2) Monthly figures only. I also think they need to develop a pre-order system for items like the Wind Raider; there are legal protection clauses and actions to protect them in case a product falls through (sorry Mattel, that argument holds NO water). If people can buy pre-orders, season tickets and so forth, it isn't impossible; there was a whole section in my text book in every accounting class covering pre-paid items.

A vehicle should definitely take the place of a beast. I can't even think of 4 beasts I want, yet there is at least 5 or 6 vehicles just off the top of my head that I'm dying to get.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app