Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Fair 2012 Discussion Thread + MattyCollector Panel Footage + Org Photo Gallery

Hybrid View

Toy Fair 2012 Discussion Thread + MattyCollector Panel Footage + Org Photo Gallery

Matty has just revealed the new figures from NYTF 2012!

Spikor, Frosta, Snake Men Army Builders and Geoff John's Sir Laser-Lot have joined the ever growing ranks of MOTUC! See images of these new additions down in News Images below!

Here is the now current schedule for the releases:

Masters of the Universe® Classics at MattyCollector.com

• Temple of Darkness Sorceress®: Available at NYCC, Power Con and on Mattycollector.com in late 2012
    • Fisto™: Available 2/15 only at MattyCollector.com
    • Shadow Weaver™: Available 2/15 only to subscribers of 2012 Club Eternia®
    • Kobra Kahn™: Available 3/15 at MattyCollector.com
    • Thunder Punch™ He-Man®: Available 4/16 at MattyCollector.com, includes Issue 1 of the all-new 30th Anniversary mini-comic!
    • Stinkor®: Available 5/15 at MattyCollector.com
    • Snake Mountain™ Stands: Available 5/15 at MattyCollector.com
    • Slush Head™: Available 5/15 at MattyCollector.com
    • Griffin: Available 6/15 at MattyCollector.com (note revised avail date)
    • Horde Prime: Available 6/15 at MattyCollector.com
    • Snake Man-at-Arms®: Available 6/15 at MattyCollector.com, includes Issue 2 of the all-new 30th Anniversary mini-comic!
    • Spikor™: Available 7/16 at MattyCollector.com
    • Snake Men™ 2-Pack: Available 7/16 at MattyCollector.com
    • Frosta™: Available 9/15 at MattyCollector.com (NOTE: Frosta is running late so there will be no August 2012 Club Eternia® "basic" figure. Instead, much like February, there will be two figures in September. The second September figure will be revealed at a later date.

MOTU 30th Anniversary Series at MattyCollector.com

• Draego-Man™: Available 4/16 only at MattyCollector.com
    • The Mighty Spector™: Available 5/15 only at MattyCollector.com (note revised avail date)
    • Sir Laser Lot: Available 8/15 only at MattyCollector.com

A full array of pictures can be seen on the main page in the latest news article!

You can also check out the Org photo gallery full of close-up photos!

Footage of the MattyCollector Panel and Q&A:

Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Bring on all the reveals!

Yes.......hurry

Heroic Journalist MldMnrdReporter's Avatar
    Woo! Bring 'em on!
    Gwildor: Moo? Moo.
    He-Man: Gwildor!
    Gwildor: I'm going, I'm going...Moo!

Ooooh, Spikor pic on Facebook.

Oh sweet, on Matty it says, Frosta, Spikor, Snake Men 2-pack and Sir Laser Lot for 30th, lol.

Hope people are happy for that MAA hand cannon.
    Last edited by Jean; February 12, 2012 at 03:12pm.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder, Teela, He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak head.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

c'mon it has been 5 minutes shouldn't it be all rolled out..lol. I am excited and hopeful to see someone I want on the newness
    Find what you seek only when you look in the right places...

spikor looks awesome! nice filmation touch there
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Sir Lazer-Lot???.....ehh...!
    Evil Heroic Norwegian

they are all on Mattycollector... and triangle Man is the lamest thing I have ever seen!!! Are you serious? Triangle Man? Lets really get some talent from the 4H, hmmm what would be cool for them to sculpt? Oh I know... how about blue armor with a red triangle? Great!!!!!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Spikor and Frosta)
    Evil Heroic Norwegian

"Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar." - Marilyn Manson

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar

Oh crap...

Last edited by Reboot; February 12, 2012 at 04:02pm.

already on google under "surgery gone wrong"

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    Spikor: a welcome addition, but nothing to be excited about.
    Snake-men: I'm not a fan of this faction, but they are well executed, look nice.
    Frosta: I agree with the vast majority of posts here, the face is too "animated".
    Laser-lot: well , this is the one I really want to comment about. I'll start with the predecessors. Photog has a long history as a concept/toy and that very fact makes him wanted and special. Draego Man is super! Spector... hmmmm... even the highly criticized Spector looks (for me) as a very original/unique/elaborated character when compared to Laser-Lot. Looking at the sculpting I may say it's ok (a tad of a generic taste, but ok). The name is terrible, the concept is bland/overused, but the real problem is the color scheme. I know Mattel will respect the original design, but if they could change the color scheme, the figure could be acceptable. Why a medieval version of Superman? Why that plain blue so uniform? Why always red capes for the majority of characters? Why that yellow color for the sword grip that looks so out of place? Maybe the color (blue) simply does not go well with the concept (Icarius is mostly blue but looks very good!). What about metallic colors, or grey/black, or even green/brown (just suggesting)... but NOT a medieval Superman, please!

Heroic Warrior
    my thoughts exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by reboot View Post
    okay, my first reaction to frosta... What the hell happened to her face?

http://drh.img.digitalriver.com/drhm...012nytf/54.jpg

they got the costume/colour design mostly right (belt's too big), but that headsculpt/paint... Oh dear lordy no.

no botox frosta!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by onthoofder; February 14, 2012 at 04:38am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Heroic Warrior
    1. I like Sir Lazer Lot. Very 80's style and name. Yes his name is lame but I agree with certain posters that basically that is a MOTU trademark. I also agree he could use a little touchup to break up the solid blue. The silver touches someone did in photoshop looks really nice.
    2. Snake-men two pack looks awesome. I love snakemen. I'll probably buy a to more than I should, depends how interchangeable the armor is.
    3. Frosta looks good I think and of course i am sure they will adjust the eyes. The face though seems to fit her personality though I have only seen one episode with her.
    4. SMAA - looks better, they're trying to get us the 200x version even though that style is "retired". I am puzzled why the gun doesn't come with him though.
    5. The Keldor swords look nice except for the double handle. I never cared much for them but glad for those who do.
    6. Spikor looks cool.
    I am not surprised bout no Hordak Troopers or Ram-Man. They are saving them for next year to help boost sales again. TG already said Ram-man is coming out next year, I am sure the Hordak Troopers will be next years 2-pack. I will guess Mekaneck for 2014. I would not be surprised if Ram-man was the exclusive figure.

Heroic Warrior
    Toyguru spoke of detachable hands for Spikor...

So he can't hold the trident in his left hand, it is one of his left hands...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post

I'd assume they are going more mini-comic influence than toy influence in this case.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post

Hopefully they´ll make it, that he can!
    Last edited by JimPansen; February 14, 2012 at 11:50am.

No luck

Well from time I was there at the 'Fair, the Mattel area was to procedural to even want to bother... (More details on my going to the fair thread) And at that, when I got to ask someone from Mattel as to where the MOTU was I was told.they were not.there yet.... But maybe by the time I left that changed..
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Heroic Warrior
    I'm excited with the reveals! Love Spikor, Frosta, and the Snake Men army builders. But I am not excited about Sir Laser Lot! However, the only thing I wish they would change to both Spikor and Frosta are the colors. I just remember Spikor being a bit of a more pronounced purple.

With the Snake Men builders, Rattlor and the others are pretty much guaranteed with all that tooling.

And for me, there are only 4 more Evil Warriors left: Jitsu, Two Bad, Ninjor, and Blast Attak (whom I don't consider to be a Snake Man; wonder what faction Classics will place him in.

I stick to vintage minus movie characters.

Quote Originally Posted by MLBfan View Post
    the only thing I wish they would change to both Spikor and Frosta are the colors. I just remember Spikor being a bit of a more pronounced purple.
    I'm guessing the production version -- which is generally molded in plastic, as opposed to being painted with a very matte type of paint -- will look closer. Also, the lighting and camera used makes a big difference, too.
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

Sir Laser Lot is kinda lame but the rest are sweet. I'm glad we are getting the Man-at-arms arm cannon at some point that makes getting snake Man-ar-arms acceptable.

Now I have to think of how many Sname men army builders I want to buy.....
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    Snake Man-at-Arms - WORST FIGURE EVER
    Spikor - PERFECT
    Snake Men 2-Pack - AWESOME
    Frosta - Fix face and lighter hair
    Sir Laser Lot - SIR LOST SLOT, well could be better, but TMS is even worse. Ill love Laser with enough time.
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

My thoughts:

I have to agree with what many others are saying in that this batch of reveals is a bit underwhelming compared to past ones, especially given that two of the most in-demand characters were shown, but still good enough to tie us over until SDCC, where I'm sure we'll see things that will blow us away.

Spikor - it's certainly fantastic to see him finally get a figure again after 25 years since he was one of the few who were entirely skipped during 200x, but given that he's very vintage inspired, there are no real surprises here. He looks good, but pretty much exactly how I thought he would. I'm not sure why people are complaining about the size of his head seeing how the original figure also had an oversized head, or that he's ugly. He's supposed to be hideous!! That being said, his face sculpt could have been a little more menacing than it is. He's got a bit of Clawful goofiness happening, but it doesn't bother me much.

Frosta - undoubtedly one of the coolest POP ladies, I'm thrilled that I'll finally be getting a figure of her for the first time. I think they almost nailed her, but I agree with what many of you are saying about the staff being a tad too large, and that she looks kinda like an over-the-hill cougar with caked on make-up trying to pick up young men at a bar. I mean, it kind of makes sense because in the show her personality was a bit that of a man-eater. I think the sculpt is fine, but the eyes are definitely painted too large. I do get the impression that she was a bit of a rush job (after all, we-ve seen customs of her that look better), but there is a lot of time for them to get the paint details right to make her look better, so I'm not too worried about her. I'm curious as to what her second accessory will be.

Snakemen Army Builder 2-Pack - I'm not a huge Snakemen fan, and even less of generic characters, so I wasn't looking forward to seeing this kind of army builder, but I have to say that they turned out really great. The unique tooling on the darker one is amazing, and will clearly lead to a Rattlor figure at some point. The lighter one makes a great re-use of existing parts. Their armour, weapons, and overall paint schemes are all top notch. This exemplifies the magic of the 4 Horsemen for me - when they can take characters I was ambivalent about and wow me with the execution.

Sir Laser-Lot: I admit that when I first saw it I was stunned, even shocked, by how lame this guy is. This was the best that Geoff Johns could come up with? Really? Looks like a 70's DC character that never made it past the concept stage. Very bland design overall - where are the fine sculpt details and imaginative paint apps? Despite this, I don't hate him. Part of me can even appreciate that he looks like a dated design that we would have seen in Filmation or the old mini-comics. Still, I'm not crazy about where the 30th anniversary line is headed. I'm starting to think those slots would have been much better used to give us obscure characters that have never had figures made of them before, instead of boring new ones. The last two better be more impressive.

Snake Man-At-Arms - Ok, he was a throw-away figure before, but I think they've done just enough to make him acceptable. I'm still not sure why getting turned into a snake man would suddenly give him cybernetic parts, but I'm sure someone will explain it to me! In any case, at least it differentiates him more from the regular Man-At-Arms, and they gave him the arm cannon after saying for months that it wasn't possible!! That's one of the best surprises that was shown today!

Griffin - looks awesome now with the re-done wings. I'll be very happy to add this beast to my collection!

Thunderpunch He-Man - looks pretty good. That power flame looks suitably dramatic, and it appears that the shield and accents on his chest armour are vac metal. I think it's about time we started getting new head sculpts with different expressions on future He-Man variants however.