Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41

Thread: MOTUC Visions: Water Rider

  1. #1
    Bashasaurus Emiliano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Palermo, Italy
    Posts
    6,267

    MOTUC Visions: Water Rider

    My simple answer to the problem of Wind Raider mold reuse.
    Many fans suggeste the Water Rider from the MYP show, and I think that toally makes sense.
    Can be done with a few new parts, and a simple recoloring of the main piece.
    To really get people to buy it, it could come with a pilot, which could be a straight repaint of the regular Wind Raider Pilot (which I will maybe post on its own later on)

    Overall, that was a rushed job I did today. just a simple photo manipulation. It's more supposed to show they idea then being an actual design, so please forgive the roughness of some the ideas


  2. #2
    Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bologna - Italy
    Posts
    4,606
    good attempt, it looks nice, but...all those bird themed deco sculpted on the sides look a little bit off and the "fins" should at least touch the water instead of being so high.

    but, overall it's quite a fair compromise.

  3. #3
    It says ICEMAN oICEMANo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    9,277
    Another winner!!

    This is great!!
    Another member did a Stealth Raider which was quite cool too.

    I want that pilot!!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

  4. #4
    Bashasaurus Emiliano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Palermo, Italy
    Posts
    6,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    good attempt, it looks nice, but...all those bird themed deco sculpted on the sides look a little bit off and the "fins" should at least touch the water instead of being so high.

    but, overall it's quite a fair compromise.
    The idea is to resuse the Wind Raider tooling to diffuse the cost of the mold
    Changing those, would mean redo all the tooling, defeating the real purpose of it

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    607
    That is awesome, Emiliano!
    Successful transactions with PaulJustice, bobshumway, ThunderPuncher, SonofKeldor, Eterniandreams, Xavion, darksword, dr phiz, Epizo1, Shankor, Shecky, He-Dad, Phil.Pastel, Baddwarff, sublimesting, richalot, He-Man54, anytimepally, Mysterio, Umbloo, Lich Leech, GFunny, greenstar1981, crimsondragon, Man-E-MoodZ, yakkotank, Jaakub, Is-rael, dzathamza, jesstertwo, yodafreakmaster, and stratosfear.

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    Posts
    1,030
    I had no interest in Mattel getting by easy with giving us a cheap redo of the Wind Raider because of their greed profit system. But your Water Rider idea might work. It looks good enough and different enough to sell. On top of that you said it is a rush job so if you put more time into the project it can be even better. The other thing is after seeing that Sir Laser-Lot figure that is almost as bad as spector how would the Wind Raider pilot work now? They are almost look like the same figure colors and all. I can accept the Wind Raider pilot but this SLL guy looks like a rip-off of him.

  7. #7
    Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Neoternia
    Posts
    2,456
    Beautiful...
    I love an all inclusive canon!

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior he-mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    258
    There's several knockoff toy lines that have made similar part swaps to the Windraider design to create diverse looks. They could swap the wings for some insectoid looking ones, replace the "dragon" head with a mean looking bug and use a mandible-like device in place of the the "anchor" and voila! a new "evil" Raider for the baddies.

    At this time, I'm not taking commissions or selling any of my customs. Sorry everyone, I'm just a tease.

  9. #9
    Heroic Fan ART Mod! JafariStew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    3,485
    One word Emil.. AH-MAZING!!

    And that's a cool little tid-bit He-Mike!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

    JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 7.21.14!!

    MOTUC RECORD


    NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

    "Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior andrea_the_cat@yahoo.it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Pescara - ITALY
    Posts
    1,899
    Quote Originally Posted by mick4metal View Post
    I had no interest in Mattel getting by easy with giving us a cheap redo of the Wind Raider because of their greed profit system. But your Water Rider idea might work. It looks good enough and different enough to sell. On top of that you said it is a rush job so if you put more time into the project it can be even better. The other thing is after seeing that Sir Laser-Lot figure that is almost as bad as spector how would the Wind Raider pilot work now? They are almost look like the same figure colors and all. I can accept the Wind Raider pilot but this SLL guy looks like a rip-off of him.
    You are right about the water rider, but it is an existing vehicle and is COOL! I would buy in a moment!
    It is a VERY SHARP idea to reuse molds in such a way that fans can be happy!
    Also if Mattel reusing molds grant enough profit for the company, they could be motivated to release other IMPORTANT vehicles like the Battle Ram!

  11. #11
    Casual Fan slackrguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,403
    That's really groovy Emiliano, I like it a lot and we have plenty of aquatic characters that would make it workable into the story/bios (if that is a factor). Plus I love that the wingspan is smaller so it could fit into tighter spaces a little easier.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

    If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

  12. #12
    Movie mayhem!
    Patreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,794
    This would be soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cool!

  13. #13
    Warrior of Evolution 13977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Posts
    6,262
    Yeah good attempt but I'd prefer more cartoon actuate colours and they'd have to sculpt new wings and headpiece IMO
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

    Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

  14. #14
    Bashasaurus Emiliano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Palermo, Italy
    Posts
    6,267
    Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    and they'd have to sculpt new wings and headpiece IMO
    That's the idea

  15. #15
    Warrior of Evolution 13977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Posts
    6,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    That's the idea
    Sorry I meant more cartoon actuate ones
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

    Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

  16. #16
    Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,832
    I really like the improved pilot. I like the different paint color options too.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Lizard-Man, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Nocturna, Masks of Power Demons, Horde Wraiths, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Snake Armor He-Man

  17. #17
    Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bologna - Italy
    Posts
    4,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The idea is to resuse the Wind Raider tooling to diffuse the cost of the mold
    Changing those, would mean redo all the tooling, defeating the real purpose of it
    yes, i understood your purpose and i appreciate it: as already stated, it seems to be a fair compromise!

    i was just pointing out that if the whole thing were sculpted with the "mold sharing" in mind it wouldn't be streched!

    with this in mind you could figure out threads to be attached in the stand socket, and voilā: a land raider is ready!

  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior gbagok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    6,968
    Love it!

    Although may I suggest calling it the Wave Raider?

    I really think they should consider this because of the concern over recouping costs, because most of us would still like it, and because I really would like to get that Wind Raider pilot still--which has an awesome redesign here!

    The bird themes aren't totally out of place as many birds hunt fish and skim the water's surface.

    Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Sorry I meant more cartoon actuate ones
    The wings now look about as show accurate as I think the Classicizer will allow aside from actually having less detail (blah to that, although I guess that could happen). Between needing to accommodate the reuse of parts and translating from the 200x show in which this vehicle appeared, I think this is a pretty good representation of what would look good.

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    yes, i understood your purpose and i appreciate it: as already stated, it seems to be a fair compromise!

    i was just pointing out that if the whole thing were sculpted with the "mold sharing" in mind it wouldn't be streched!

    with this in mind you could figure out threads to be attached in the stand socket, and voilā: a land raider is ready!
    A land raider is kind of pushing it, don't you think? The Attak Trak, Road Ripper, or (ahem) Battle Ram would be far more welcome. I can't think of many other boats in MOTU, so the....wave raider ....has added appeal for filling that vacancy.

  19. #19
    Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bologna - Italy
    Posts
    4,606
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Love it!

    Although may I suggest calling it the Wave Raider?
    nice: sounds better!

    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    A land raider is kind of pushing it, don't you think? The Attak Trak, Road Ripper, or (ahem) Battle Ram would be far more welcome. I can't think of many other boats in MOTU, so the....wave raider ....has added appeal for filling that vacancy.
    sure...was just kidding!

  20. #20
    Movie mayhem!
    Patreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,794
    would be cool if they did the pilots JUST like you have them, but then gave them extra unmasked heads. :-) ONe human, maybe one some sorta aquatic guy.

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toyguru's closet ^_^
    Posts
    2,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    That's the idea
    I feel your idea works fine as is since I guarantee you Mattel would refuse to budget for further additional accessories besides the re-deco- I'd totally buy this Emil it's a fabulous and quick proof of concept and a wonderful re-use of the tooling.

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior Eternian Poet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,839
    I've never seen the point of this vehicle. Why sail when you can fly? The latter is faster & safer.

    Nice design tho.
    ***
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toyguru's closet ^_^
    Posts
    2,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    I've never seen the point of this vehicle. Why sail when you can fly? The latter is faster & safer.

    Nice design tho.
    Good point- I'm just a huge ***** for great color value matching and design

  24. #24
    Warrior of Evolution 13977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Posts
    6,262
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    The wings now look about as show accurate as I think the Classicizer will allow aside from actually having less detail (blah to that, although I guess that could happen). Between needing to accommodate the reuse of parts and translating from the 200x show in which this vehicle appeared, I think this is a pretty good representation of what would look good.
    Really? I think the wings could be more accurate even after being Classicized, but yeah that would mean less detail. But even if they decided to do the wings like that I still think the headpiece is way too much of a departure. I mean it bears no remembrance to the original MYP version what so ever.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

    Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

  25. #25
    Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Neuthonian Suburbs
    Posts
    2,558
    if i could just make one suggestion that will, in my mind put the finishing touches on this thing. a plastic, clear, or transparent blue dome over the drivers compartment. this small addition would set it apart so much, and give it just that much of a different look. so that when the driver is not only cruising on the water, he can also deep sea dive!!!!!




    it doesn't necessarily need to be a bubble, it could have a different shape. i am noticing at the front of the cabin, there are holes that look like they could hold the front two pegs, so that this bubble can be pivoted towards the front of the vehicle.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •