Thread: "Factions", "Eras" & The Reality of MOTUC Going Forward

"Factions", "Eras" & The Reality of MOTUC Going Forward

Apologies if some other thread exists like this, but I couldn't find one after much searching.

I have been thinking a lot about this line moving forward. One thing that concerns me is that, even though we've been told that it will be a mix of the different "eras" and "factions" that are a part of MOTUC as a whole there still seems to be a lot of resistance or annoyance with that idea.

I thought it might be useful to chart out where we've been to get an idea of where we are going. In this graph, I have laid out all the different factions and eras and compared how many of each release we've gotten. To do this, I've lumped in variants into the categories. I have split out those figures that are new versions of figures actually released in the vintage MOTU and POP lines (He-man, She-Ra, Skeletor, etc.) and those figures that are based on characters from those eras without figures in the old line (or that simply made it to prototype form) or inspired by those eras (the "Vintage (New) and POP (New)" categories which would include figures like Horde Prime, Shadow Weaver, Green Goddess, etc.)

Of course, 2012 isn't finished yet. This is just based on the info we have right now (and includes Granamyr)
    I think one thing we can see... vintage MOTU was VERY heavy in the early years, and has been dwindling ever since. It's very likely that this category will stay flat from 2013-on if the line is to continue as long as they originally planned. We might only see 4-5 vintage MOTU figures per year, with the slack being taken up with the Filmation and mini-comic figures (which would fall into the Vintage (New) category) and some of the other eras.

To me, this is just the reality of the situation. I kind of think it's best we just accept that and move on, realizing that there are sure to be some vintage MOTU characters we wait years and years for. This is how it was set up from the beginning. What do you guys think? Looking back on the last couple of years, I actually think some of the years with the biggest mix have been some of the most exciting just because they are less predictable and full of stuff we may not be expecting.

*Note - I tried to be as accurate as possible, and had to make some judgement calls... but there might be an error here or there. Try not to be too hard on me!

SNARRRLLL's biggest fan! MISSILE-TOE's Avatar
    Good job!

I expect to see the little blue bar go up a little bit more this year, and then possibly triple next year!
    MOTUC WISH LIST
    : SNARRRLLL:

Shouldn't there be a higher bar for vintage in 2008 than there is for 200x? He-man and Beastman vs King Grayskull? Even counting KG's stone and ghost variants that doesn't seem right.

Well done though!
    Last edited by gbagok; April 16, 2012 at 06:27pm.

Oooh, I love graphs.

When MOTUC first came out in 2008, it took me about a year from me to become patient with the releases.

These days, I can cooly wait an entire month until my doll gets here (I should be getting KK after work).

So I'm in no rush for the rest of the characters I want. Perhaps because I have a sizeable collection by now?
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Great graph!

Starting in 2013 the line up will be infused with Filmation characters which will help even things out a bit. It may not be a popular opinion but I hope we start see a better mix and less vintage. As your graph shows it has begun to even out, but vintage MOTU still dominates. Don't get me wrong I love the vintage MOTU characters but I also want the Filmation and POP characters that I love. NA and 200x to a lesser degree but I know there are others who love them so bring them on. I know the idea that the line will die if the vintage MOTU chracters has been debated ad nauseum but I can't help but feel that it will have an impact. Sorry for the mini rant , your graph just makes it so visible how uneven the ratio has been.

It'll be interesting to see how the rest of 2012 plays out.

PS: OCTAVIA IN MOTUC!
    Photobucket
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post
    PS: OCTAVIA IN MOTUC!
    Droooooooool!!
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Glad you guys liked my graphy nerdiness.

I too hope the NA bar goes up this year. I'd like at least ONE more figure there this year and I agree 3 next year would be awesome.

As for 2008, there were 3 Grayskulls to 2 Vintage, hence the larger bar. I did think about not counting the ghost Grayskull as he was virtually unattainable. But to be honest, 2008 is pretty much an anomaly data-wise. I probably could have thrown it in with 2009.

To me, it's less about arguing about what SHOULD be and more about just coming to grips with what is. I would love Extendar tomorrow, but if I have to wait for 2016 to get him so that he can have more new tooling along with some other characters, I'm all for it. But I'm not what you'd call a casual fan. I'm not nearly as hard core as some people here, by any means! But I want any and every figure I can get!

very good job!

I hope to see you keep at this an provide yearly updates with the list.

Again excellent work!

I love statistics.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    As for 2008, there were 3 Grayskulls to 2 Vintage, hence the larger bar. I did think about not counting the ghost Grayskull as he was virtually unattainable. But to be honest, 2008 is pretty much an anomaly data-wise. I probably could have thrown it in with 2009.

To me, it's less about arguing about what SHOULD be and more about just coming to grips with what is. I would love Extendar tomorrow, but if I have to wait for 2016 to get him so that he can have more new tooling along with some other characters, I'm all for it. But I'm not what you'd call a casual fan. I'm not nearly as hard core as some people here, by any means! But I want any and every figure I can get!
    I thought it might be something like that, but I don't think counting those novelty variants equal to, let alone more than, two fresh figures accurately represents "what is." It's your chart, but I don't agree with that reasoning.

Awesome graph!!!

I dig it all-you could tell me we're getting a solid year of PoP, NA, minicomics, Filmation, Son of HM, MYP/200X/MVC, younameit, and I'd be golden. It's all good and I'll take as many as I can get of anything.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Way to Go Club Etheria!

Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    I love statistics.
    Ain't nothin' sexier than a bar graph. Perversely, as a graphic designer I actually enjoy making a chart now and again. I would never want it to be full time, of course.

One thing I do like about laying out some info this way though is that it can blast through your preconceived notions sometimes. For instance, I was thinking "Man, they really pulled out all the stops with the vintage MOTU figures this year" until I saw this and realized that actually we have a lot less than we have had in past years. I guess it's just because it's early in the year and the vintage MOTU stuff was front loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I thought it might be something like that, but I don't think counting those novelty variants equal to, let alone more than, two fresh figures accurately represents "what is." It's your chart, but I don't agree with that reasoning.
    I don't blame you. In my eyes, I was removing my own judgement as much as possible from making a subjective call just by including everyone versus picking and choosing. I figured if I was including variants like BG Evil-Lynn it made sense to include the KGs. Otherwise I have to choose which variants "count" and which do not. The only figures I didn't include at all here were the DCUC 2-packs because they were a retail line.

Master of Eternian Lore Chroniklor's Avatar
    Charts and graphs are good, mmmkay... Thank you, very convenient!
    Chroniklor, the Heroic Keeper of Eternian Myths, Legends and Lore.

nice stats.
    I also think that the prodction is going to put apart for a while the vintage figures and make more toys from filmation, sketches and prototypes to replace them into the annual chart (do you guys think or heard about new made up carachters like for the 30th anniversary?). and that's good, I mean, once the vintage figures are pretty much over there will be the inevitable down for all the line and soon the end of it. so keep coming with more filmation, pop, Na and 200x as long as you dont quit the line putting out all the big carachters. I prefer to see meckanek in 2014 if this condition allows mattel to continue with more B, C or even obscure figures and let us be children some time more. unfortunatly there are a bunch of "classic" vintage figures remaining if you dont count in this list carachters such as modulok, multibot, rotar, twistoid and extendar too. and I need the green and red daemons before they quit anyway.
    Last edited by Delthaindia; April 17, 2012 at 06:50am.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I guess it's just because it's early in the year and the vintage MOTU stuff was front loaded.
    It was pretty front loaded in the early days of the line as well, and I don't think we need have any fear that vintage figures will suddenly stop. And that has as much, if not more, to do with tooling as it does with anything else. Simply put, if tooling money is short, there are a lot more pickings for figures in the original line than in any other era. POP figures are a close second now that we have a versatile standard female buck, but they still often need a bit more than some of the 80's MOTU figures. 2002 probably follows next with the way they do many of the optional accesories for guys like Fisto; but distinct 2002 figures would tend to need a good number of new parts. NA really gets hurt the worst by this, as there was little re-use in the original line, and it takes some real creativity from the Horsemen to make use of a lot of re-used parts in Classics (though they've done a very good job of that with Flipshot and especially Optikk).
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman