Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TG Blog #4 Skeletor!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    As always you're awesome! thanks man!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

So fans who wanted to wait a few months and then buy a few figures at once to save on shipping were out of luck.
    I remember like it was yesterday. Had to fork out quite some dime to get them afterwards.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Heroic Warrior
    lol @ being multiple Skeletors...yeah no.

Heroic Warrior
    Great read as always. I'm still confused, because we saw Mer Man & Zodac at SDCC 2008 before that issue of ToyFare came out. And I swear the whole outline of what the Classics line was gonna be was stated during their fan panel/slide show. What was the point of them saying that Classics was gonna be a line comprising of vintage MOTU, POP, NA, 200X, mini-comics, and concept characters if his talking that the line was still looking like only 3 figures getting the green light and maybe another 4 after the success of Skeletor. What am I missing here?
    Last edited by grenadaspice; February 15, 2012 at 09:26pm.

HD figures on youtube
    Great read as always. I'm still confused, because we saw Mer Man & Zodac at SDCC 2008 before that issue of ToyFare came out. And I swear the whole outline of what the Classics line was gonna be was stated during their fan panel/slide show. What was the point of them saying that Classics was gonna be a line comprising of vintage MOTU, POP, NA, 200X, mini-comics, and concept characters if his talking that the line was still looking like only 3 figures getting the green light and maybe another 4 after the success of Skeletor. What am I missing here?
    That's what I'm confused about also. That, and how many times have we been told all these bios where planned out since the very beginning, and that they where leading somewhere? Well, if they only intended on a few fan figures, why did they make this "road map" of bio's if they never intended to use them?

Now I'm thinking that was just their reply to the fans saying they must have wrote each one on the spot. Maybe I'm just not remembering right, which is most likely the case I admit. But it was a great read Scott, thanks!

I am really enjoying these. Keep 'em coming, Scott.
    Meow,
    Princess Selina Desire

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Put me in the camp that always thought that panel was showing Skeletor moving toward the portal, not a single-file line of multiple "Skeletors". That was a fairly common technique in comics back then to show motion (see Spider-Man comics for example) and as a kid that's what I though was happening.
    Nope. Never saw it that way.

I always thought the text was remarkably clear on that point.

'Once I lived in another dimension, populated with others of my kind. But when the Great wars opend a hole, I was thrown into this world. With the complete Power Sword I shall reopen that hole and bring my people here to conquer this dimensional world!'

Heck... the power sword had nothing to do with his getting here. It was the great wars that sent him...

Just looking at the picture, I see

A) Two halves of the sword.....

B) Completed sword.....

C) A reopened hole bringing his people....

Also, while yes... mutliple images has been used in the past to indicate movement... Snakeyes is right... they are usually ghosted showing where the person has been. And.... I'm having a REALLY hard time remembering EVER seeing that effect used for someone 'walking'...

Leaping... running... bouncing... anythign done by the flash... but Demon Walking?!?

I was astounded when I first saw that this bit of lore was actually debated...

Court Magician
    I really liked this. After investing >$500K in a yearlong toy subscription, it's fun to see what has gone into the making of the line and its nuances.

I'm glad ToyGuru has a sense of humor when decrying conspiracy theories against him. I think he's really a hard worker and puts a lot of passion and effort into his job. It sure can't be easy when people are all so negative (though, I'll be the first to attest to the fact, as I have before, that calling customer service at Digital River is almost akin to talking to a Furby, only with more parroting. But, Europeans in Europe want these figures, too, and this was apparently the only option on the table). Clearly this is a weekly blog, not a ruse or decoy.

Put me in the camp that always thought that panel was showing Skeletor moving toward the portal, not a single-file line of multiple "Skeletors". That was a fairly common technique in comics back then to show motion (see Spider-Man comics for example) and as a kid that's what I though was happening.
    I think you're absolutely correct. If you look at the picture from left to right, Skeletor's face narrates as the two halves of the sword are joined together, then make a whole sword, then a gate is opened. Plus, none of the Skeletors' feet are in the same position, so I don't really feel like it's an army goose-stepping into a portal as much as it's a flip-book of Skeletor leaving Eternia after merging the swords and opening the gate, which is mimicked in the text below.
    Last edited by IamBrentN; February 15, 2012 at 11:17pm.
    --Brent

Quote Originally Posted by BCreviews4628 View Post
    That's what I'm confused about also. That, and how many times have we been told all these bios where planned out since the very beginning, and that they where leading somewhere?
    I believe that the standard statement is that they were planned out since Stratos, which is near the beginning but far enough in that they were pretty confident the line would go somewhere.

'Tis a great read! I don't think that it is so much "revisionist history" as it is Scott's memory and perspective, but I also tend to take him at his word. Perhaps if Terry, Cornboy, and others involved charted their memories, it would look a little different. But isn't that the same with anything?

Keep 'em coming, Toyguru! Most of us appreciate them!

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post

'Once I lived in another dimension, populated with others of my kind. But when the Great wars opend a hole, I was thrown into this world. With the complete Power Sword I shall reopen that hole and bring my people here to conquer this dimensional world!'

Heck... the power sword had nothing to do with his getting here. It was the great wars that sent him...

B) Completed sword.....

Also, while yes... mutliple images has been used in the past to indicate movement... Snakeyes is right... they are usually ghosted showing where the person has been. And.... I'm having a REALLY hard time remembering EVER seeing that effect used for someone 'walking'...

Leaping... running... bouncing... anythign done by the flash... but Demon Walking?!?

[You forgot B,2) Leaving Eternia through newly opened hole]

That's all very plausible, but I never felt Skeletor was wearing a uniform so much as he was wearing a little outfit he threw together, and these guys are all dressed the same. I mean, if you had never read that comic, and you closed your eyes, and then someone read you the text, would you imagine skeleton's people to all be identical, clothing at all? I wouldn't. and, vice versa, if you had only seen the picture and not read the text, would you think that was just Skeletor walking? I'm not sure what I think, but upon closer inspection, I think it could reasonably be argued either way (see post#33). I personally think he's leaving Eternia and going to get his people in the picture. "Personally" is the operative word.
    Last edited by IamBrentN; February 15, 2012 at 11:40pm.
    --Brent

HD figures on youtube

B) Completed sword.....

"I was thrown into this world."

He was THROWN into this world, yet that picture shows him/them WALKING into the hole. If he was thinking back, he would be flying through the air right into the hole, instead of entering on his own will. To me, that image is him imagining the day he can bring his people over to conquer.

But, I don't like it that way. To me, there's only one Skeletor, not many. But that's how I clearly see it in that panel.
    Last edited by BCreviews4628; February 15, 2012 at 11:17pm.

Guys, please keep the replies in here related to the topic. Snarky comments, unfounded speculation behind motives, etc. will not be tolerated and your post will be edited or deleted.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    I thought the same as you.

Someone else mentioned a minute sellout of Fisto - but he lasted over 20 minutes. Was he not showing up on some people's computers?
    I know he was around for at least 10 minutes before I finally actually left the Matty site for a while.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Love reading these, keep them coming Scott, and thanks for taking your personal time to do it.

For a minute i was sure there was another issue of Toyfare magazine that had Classics on the cover... but that was only a minute. It was actually on Lee's Toy Review magazine #202 that had a nice cover shot of He-Man & Battle Cat - and previews for other Classics figures from 2009 SDCC inside!

Enjoy reading your blog entries TG, look forward to the next!
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

Widget
    I loved the information about the bios, Keldor, Demo-man and how it could increase the line. Fantastic history!

I really want to see when he talks about He-ro!!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    good blog tg keep em coming
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Lizard-Man, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Nocturna, Masks of Power Demons, Horde Wraiths, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Snake Armor He-Man

Quote Originally Posted by BCreviews4628 View Post
    "I was thrown into this world."

To me, that image is him imagining the day he can bring his people over to conquer.

But, I don't like it that way. To me, there's only one Skeletor, not many. But that's how I clearly see it in that panel.
    Yes, that sounds plausible, however I don't like it either. Villains are better when they are unique, IMO.

I think you're probably right about this one, I just didn't see it that way as a kid. Hey, I was 7, whattawantfromme?!?

Elder Councilman
    these are great, Scott, keep 'em coming!

BTW, I had you on Facebook before you deleted everyone who wasn't in your direct connection; I'm really sorry you apparently had a lot of fans trashing you on your own Facebook page. I can assure you I wasn't one of them, but I should've at least thanked you for the add.

You're an asset to the Masters community, Mr. Neitlich; don't let anyone tell you any different
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

That is what I always thought too.

Quote Originally Posted by CptSpandex View Post
    Scott,

I appreciate your blog posts and you interacting with us on the forums. But, after seeing the NYTF walk-through with you and Pixel Dan (well done, by the way), I think you gotta stop taking everything to heart. I like that you're passionate about the toyline, and that passion has helped to deliver a very fan-friendly product.

I appreciate what you've done, but being on the defensive isn't necessary. It just looks bad, in my opinion. Criticism like this wouldn't exist if everything was going smoothly.

-Brent
    That was extremely well said. Perhaps not submitting a response is the best response you could ever make, Scott.
    Last edited by Darth Daddy; February 18, 2012 at 02:45am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Say cheese!!!

Macduff, Scotland. United Kingdom of Eternia.
    I enjoy reading these, keep them coming Scott.