Thread: Sub figures shipped, but CC not charged, what?

Rider of the Night MyBroGotAllMyFigs's Avatar

Sub figures shipped, but CC not charged, what?

Here's what happened, in chronological order:

- Before the 15th, DR attempts to make 4 reservations in the amount of $51.55. VISA flags it as a fraudulent attempt, call me. I authorize one reservation, and block the three others.
    - After that, I had a $51.55 amount reserved on my CC. Which was for the one sub I own.
    - On the 15th, the reserved amount disappears from my CC account.
    - On the 16th, I receive a shipping confirmation for Photog.
    - On the 18th at 2am, I receive a shipping confirmation for the sub figures. I went to look at my CC account and see if they had only charged me once. I notice that the last transaction with my CC is from Feb. 8th, which was when I used it to buy something, I think it's weird that DR would ship my figures without charging me, but decide to wait a day and see what happens.
    - As of today, Feb. 20th, I have yet to be charged for the sub figures, which were shipped two days ago.

What happened here again? Am I getting figures I have not even paid for yet?

To be clear, I was not one of those affected by the mysterious glitch last month that saw some subs being cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by MyBroGotAllMyFigs View Post
    Here's what happened, in chronological order:

- Before the 15th, DR attempts to make 4 reservations in the amount of $51.55. VISA flags it as a fraudulent attempt, call me. I authorize one reservation, and block the three others.
    - After that, I had a $51.55 amount reserved on my CC. Which was for the one sub I own.
    - On the 15th, the reserved amount disappears from my CC account.
    - On the 16th, I receive a shipping confirmation for Photog.
    - On the 18th at 2am, I receive a shipping confirmation for the sub figures. I went to look at my CC account and see if they had only charged me once. I notice that the last transaction with my CC is from Feb. 8th, which was when I used it to buy something, I think it's weird that DR would ship my figures without charging me, but decide to wait a day and see what happens.
    - As of today, Feb. 20th, I have yet to be charged for the sub figures, which were shipped two days ago.

What happened here again? Am I getting figures I have not even paid for yet?

To be clear, I was not one of those affected by the mysterious glitch last month that saw some subs being cancelled.
    Last time I checked, mine weren't charged, yet they shipped last week. I'll give them a couple of days then call them to get charged.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Heroic Warrior
    I have a similar situation only I had received the cancellation notice. (the sub was never cancelled to begin with) So I restarted it not knowing the truth... come to find out I have 2 subs now when I only bought 1. But anyway... They both have been shipped and as of right now, still no charges on my card. I too am thinking maybe in a day or 2 the charges will show up... oh well... I hope i get them for free!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    Last time I checked, mine weren't charged, yet they shipped last week. I'll give them a couple of days then call them to get charged.
    Same thing happened to me but here's the kicker- the representative for DR escalated it and then the person I got who spoke English calmly said- "being that you've made every attempt to contact us about this error if you still don't receive a charge then keep the item regardless sir". Ummm.... I'm not sure Mattel would be thrilled with this logic.

Court Magician
    The level of incompetency is astounding. I can't remember the last time I've seen anything like it.

Yep, this is apparently what DR does now - on at least some percentage of the subs. They ship before payment is even squared away. Well done, DR. Well done.

Like you mentioned about last month's debacle - this is what got them into trouble with Star Sisters. When a large number of payments got screwed up (due to the strange charges and schedule), they had suddenly shipped tons of figures without getting full payment for them. Not something I would want to have to explain to the people at Mattel.

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    I didn't get charged for the Star Sisters..we'll see about this month though
    Its a long time time to wait for Electroid Love---AREMESH in 2016!

Heroic Warrior
    As with most online retailers, they authorize payment when the order is placed (in this case, the sub renewal) and then settle after shipping (you technically can't settle until you've taken the action of passing the goods out of your hands). The settlement takes place a couple of days after shipping. If more than 3-5 days pass between original order date and shipping date (or settlement date), the auth may disappear until settlement actually occurs.

Mattel/DR aren't the only ones this happens with... It's happened when I've done preorders with Lego, Best Buy, Amazon & BBTS, as well as with normal orders from TRU, who rivals DR in the slow-to-get-out-the-door department.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Welcome to my world. I've tried to cancel my subs, there is no current card they can charge figures to on the Matty site, they still sent me the Star Sisters and my Photogs are on the way. I've never seen any company so inept they send out the product before it's been paid for. The only good thing: this is one thing you can be sure Mattel's higher ups are going to want actual action on; no way are they going to sit back while their product is being given away for free (if the customers are being fleeced, that's okay, but don't dare take a penny out of our pockets; bet on this).

These people are too much to be believed. This sort of idiocy wouldn't even make it onto a sitcom because it would be too far fetched...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Welcome to my world. I've tried to cancel my subs, there is no current card they can charge figures to on the Matty site, they still sent me the Star Sisters and my Photogs are on the way. I've never seen any company so inept they send out the product before it's been paid for. The only good thing: this is one thing you can be sure Mattel's higher ups are going to want actual action on; no way are they going to sit back while their product is being given away for free (if the customers are being fleeced, that's okay, but don't dare take a penny out of our pockets; bet on this).

These people are too much to be believed. This sort of idiocy wouldn't even make it onto a sitcom because it would be too far fetched...
    I highly doubt anything will change as Mattel will still get paid, in this case Digital River will take the loss as the distributor and it will eat out of their part of the contract. Its kind of like pizza delivery, you deliver and don't get paid then you as the delivery man eat the cost of the product.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    This is why Matty has been running out of customer service replacement stock for people who have problems with their figures, forcing them to take a refund.... they keep shipping the figures out for free to people who didn't even pay for them!

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I highly doubt anything will change as Mattel will still get paid, in this case Digital River will take the loss as the distributor and it will eat out of their part of the contract. Its kind of like pizza delivery, you deliver and don't get paid then you as the delivery man eat the cost of the product.
    That might actually do some good, though; if DR is paying out of pocket for their foul-up, maybe that will serve as motivation to fix it.

Of course, I'm mixing logic and Matty together again, which rarely turns out well...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    I got charged for 1 of my 2 subs. Which is fine since I only ordered 1 sub. I'll wait and see if i get a charge for the other one which includes the 2nd SS installation that I already paid. DR is an abomination!

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    That might actually do some good, though; if DR is paying out of pocket for their foul-up, maybe that will serve as motivation to fix it.

Of course, I'm mixing logic and Matty together again, which rarely turns out well...
    You would hope lol

I think that is also one of the reasons behind their new return policy, from 2009-2011 they basically gave you a figure for free if you had an issue. I think their expense on that owed to Mattel ran a bit high and so now they want the toys back so they don't have to lose the money.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback