Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (2/15/2012)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYMOTUFAN View Post
    I see yet another price increase coming in 2013....... TG states stuff like rising labor and raw materials cost. Well what justified the $20 price tag back in 2008 when other action figures were selling for $6.99?? The way I see it is we've been paying 2012 prices all along, while all the other toy lines are barely catching up (price wise)

Regardless, there's No way Mattel and TG can keep justifying price increases. Especially on a line with so many quality control issues.
    You do realize that the economy of scale allows mass retail lines to be much cheaper than a limited property like MOTUC, right? Compared to Star Wars, Transformers, etc., no one is buying our beloved MOTUC line.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYMOTUFAN View Post
    I see yet another price increase coming in 2013....... TG states stuff like rising labor and raw materials cost. Well what justified the $20 price tag back in 2008 when other action figures were selling for $6.99?? The way I see it is we've been paying 2012 prices all along, while all the other toy lines are barely catching up (price wise)

Regardless, there's No way Mattel and TG can keep justifying price increases. Especially on a line with so many quality control issues.
    Agreed. I don't see how they think they're going to get away with charging anymore than $22 a figure (and even that's pushing it.) I understand its a 'collector line' but I don't understand how I can buy DCD's Arkham figures for $15.99, and every figure is a new sculpt for the most part, and this line full of re-used parts is $22, not to mention DCD sells to resellers and Matty sells directly to consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I would love a 200x inspired variant of Roboto and a 200x inspired King Hisss! I would certainly prefer that over Clamp Champ or Rio Blaster. Although I don't mean that those characters shouldn't be eventually released later on, but a 200x Robot & Hisss would be preferable to me.

(They would need to have their shoulders fixed of course)
    Same for me. I would like for fans of those characters to eventually get them, but honestly, I couldn't care less if Clamp Champ, Ninjor, or Rio Blast get made; they're certainly bottom of the barrel in terms of design. I'd completely prefer 200x variants of King Hsss and Roboto - characters I actually love.

Quote Originally Posted by orbles View Post
    Exactly, how can they justify a price increase when they use materials that cannot hold up to the rigorous demands of a display....just standing there. Or hanging on a wall MOC, without turning white and fuzzy? Then they cut costs to reduce the size of the protective box, making them less protective, and saving literally pennies? If they are going to increase the price of the sub, they better bring back the old box, prior to Demo Man, and use quality materials that will hold up over time. This is a "collector" line. And what to collectors do with their toys, they collect them for many years, so this line needs to hold up to that standard!
    Seconded. Out of my first four figures (He-Man, Beastman, Skeletor and Faker) two are already showing the whitening, MOC. My loose second edition He-Man has the same, but only on the bottom of his loincloth. Things like this shouldn't happen on an expensive collector's line.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Confused as to why a new Roboto and Hsss should take away from a new character? Aren't they A-List Variants? Do them instead of the spin blades!
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    Confused as to why a new Roboto and Hsss should take away from a new character? Aren't they A-List Variants? Do them instead of the spin blades!
    I'd think so, considering that Hiss is one of the main villains.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    I think Mattel probably considers the vintage versions of both of those characters as done, despite the backwards shoulders. It's the same as Stratos--I think they want to move on past those figures and focus on new variants of those characters, instead of gutting an SKU on the same figure, but with fixed shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think Mattel probably considers the vintage versions of both of those characters as done, despite the backwards shoulders. It's the same as Stratos--I think they want to move on past those figures and focus on new variants of those characters, instead of gutting an SKU on the same figure, but with fixed shoulders.
    I think MGM has it nailed, Mattel is wants to move on. I for one don't think the shoulders are bad enough to justify bumming a new character/figure's spot. No figure is perfect, and I understand that the shoulders mistake was Mattel's fault but if they redid every figure that was not perfect we'd never get to all the characters that still need a figure.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    What about a Stratos with different hands, non-glued wings and Beastman feet. Wouldn't that sell more than a straight re-issue ?

Maybe it's the way I said it, but I was hping for a 200X Hsss and Roboto, and yes, in the A-List Varant slots
    Tweet Me!

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    I'd so love a new improved Roboto variant...
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

I love Mos Eisley Cantina BoShek's Avatar
    I too missed Tytus and paid double for him on eBay. See how that works Matty?
    Please watch my videos!
    http://www.eaglekillerstudios.com

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post
    I think MGM has it nailed, Mattel is wants to move on. I for one don't think the shoulders are bad enough to justify bumming a new character/figure's spot. No figure is perfect, and I understand that the shoulders mistake was Mattel's fault but if they redid every figure that was not perfect we'd never get to all the characters that still need a figure.
    That is likely as good of a way as putting it. We certainly CAN revisit these characters, but with so few slots at our disposal and so little resources, revisiting a previous character is less likely. It is not off the table, but less likely to happen vs an all new character.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    That is likely as good of a way as putting it. We certainly CAN revisit these characters, but with so few slots at our disposal and so little resources, revisiting a previous character is less likely. It is not off the table, but less likely to happen vs an all new character.
    Maybe I'm getting confused, but you mean that version of that character right? So it's still possible to see Classicised 200X Roboto and Hsss as A-List Variants?
    Tweet Me!

Snappy Threader
    2013 map has got to be a new adventures map of some kind. That would be cool.

The only thing that is getting old really fast are the questions in Q&A. No wonder Mattel are just copying and pasting their replies. I read these queries thinking, oh, god, here comes another WR question, just the same query asked slightly differently. Man, if customers hate Mattel's responses that much, why do they keep on repeating themselves? I work in retail, and personally I hate it when customers sound like broken records.
    Last edited by Ravenskarr; February 19, 2012 at 06:07pm.

I think it should be off the table. King Hiss is done. Roboto is done. On to the next. And variants of these figures in a "200x" version is the last thing a "Classics" line needs to do.

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenskarr View Post
    The only thing that is getting old really fast are the questions in Q&A. No wonder Mattel are just copying and pasting their replies. I read these queries thinking, oh, god, here comes another WR question, just the same query asked slightly differently. Man, if customers hate Mattel's responses that much, why do they keep on repeating themselves? I work in retail, and personally I hate it when customers sound like broken records.

I asked this ages ago, and no one responded to me either :P
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Thanks for clarifying that TG. While I understand overall budgetary constraints and naturally want more of new characters, still, there are two reasons in my opinion why Roboto and King Hsss (and GG as well!) should be considered for a monthly slot. 1) As you previously explained it was Mattel's falt that reversed shoulders happened. But more importantly, 2) Both figures are iconic in MOTUC. King Hssss is the leader of the Snake Men :-) He is not a B list character :-) Roboto is one of the original, vintage figures :-) I think that warrants a new re-release with fixed shoulder. Lets not forget GG. In my opinion, there should be a way for GG to get released as well. Perhaps as Sharella? That brings me to a possible solution: Is there a way to solve the reversed shoulder problem of the original variants, when you get to 200x Roboto and King Hsss? A solution that would be similar with She-Ra?
    During the recent walkthrough with Pixel Dan (at Toy Fair), you mentioned that long term customers will appreciate some of the future releases because, as far as I understood, they will enable them to combine parts of the same character into an "ultimate figure"? Could something similar apply to these 3 characters?
    Thx!
    Evil Master of Thinking!

I would prefer a 200X King Hsss over a Buzz-Saw Hordak ANY day.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    I would prefer a 200X King Hsss over a Buzz-Saw Hordak ANY day.
    Me too. I'll take the MYP Roboto with all those guns as well.

I don't think anyone wants a Buzz Saw Hordak with the lack of action features in the line and him looking no different than the original Hordak.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    I loved my Buzz Saw Hordak as a kid, but definitely dont want one in MOTUC. I guess a Buzz Saw accessory would be a cool nod but it's not a necessity at all.

I would however LOVE a Roboto variant. Maybe a "battleground one" repainted in mini comics orange. I dunno if I want a 200x one though, because it you "Classicize™" him he would basically be the same thing with a difference head and a couple gun on his shoulders as a backpack or something.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    I loved my Buzz Saw Hordak as a kid, but definitely dont want one in MOTUC. I guess a Buzz Saw accessory would be a cool nod but it's not a necessity at all.

I would however LOVE a Roboto variant. Maybe a "battleground one" repainted in mini comics orange. I dunno if I want a 200x one though, because it you "Classicize™" him he would basically be the same thing with a difference head and a couple gun on his shoulders as a backpack or something.
    Benny said it best: he's WMD Roboto.

New guns, different head, new piece over the shoulders and back to make him look bulkier, BOTH forearms are removable and paint to the MYP colors.

I think in some sense we lost the idea of this line; where it was originally suppose to just be a FIGURE collector club first and foremost! When Matty and crew saw the success with the immediate sellouts and having of all people the 4 Horsemen designing these characters we lit up like wildfire. This led them to creating new additions to keep the line going further (beasts, dioramas, vehicles) but didn't realize as much as this is cool... we want the figures first (at least I do)! Just knowing the size of the figures and without any publicity or other form of support (comic, cartoon) to create anything else is asking for trouble and taking risk for something already under a microscope. But guilty as charged, when it's the 4 horsemen, you can't say NO! I think if anything else can be made other than the figures, let that organically happen. I know it helps create a break in the figure output and gives the line longer life, but I think if this line is in trouble where figure amounts are being reduced, or reissues are being cancelled due to cost of... Stick with the figures!!!

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see that Battle Ram, as well as a Talon Fighter and Land Shark!
    Last edited by Nemisythe; February 20, 2012 at 12:54am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost