Thread: Stuck wrist joint on Ninjor -- any suggestions?

Stuck wrist joint on Ninjor -- any suggestions?

Hi all,

The right (i.e. non-claw hand) wrist joint on my Ninjor is stuck, making it very hard to create cool ninja poses

Any suggestions on how to deal with this issue with a MOTUC figure? I have tried blow dryer and brief times in the freezer, but it's clear that when I am turning it, I am just stressing the plastic. (And, as a result of the blow dryer, his bicep joint is now looser on that arm. Womp.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Max

Maybe warm water....but to be honest, I had the same problem with BA Skeletor, and as careful as I was, the whole part ended up twisting right off.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by amax13 View Post
    Hi all,

The right (i.e. non-claw hand) wrist joint on my Ninjor is stuck, making it very hard to create cool ninja poses

Any suggestions on how to deal with this issue with a MOTUC figure? I have tried blow dryer and brief times in the freezer, but it's clear that when I am turning it, I am just stressing the plastic. (And, as a result of the blow dryer, his bicep joint is now looser on that arm. Womp.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Max
    How did you use the hairdryer? Did you just heat the plastic? The best way to unstick wrist joints with the heating method is to pop the hand off entirely. This actually breaks whatever seal was in place preventing it from moving. If the joint still sticks after popping it off and on, then either the socket is too tight, or the peg is too fat (sometimes this happens if too much paint gets on it, although sometimes the peg is just too big; my Catra had this problem with her hands). In that case, you can try using oil to lubricate the joint, or widening the hole with a dremel or drill or some such, or sanding the peg down a bit and maybe scraping off any obvious excess material.

I'm not sure how you loosened the bicep joint, but it can be tightened back up by popping the arm off and wrapping the peg with a little bit of tape or paper or the like.

When I use the freezer method to unstick joints (which I usually do only with ones that can't be removed entirely, like the ab crunch, waist swivel, or shoulders) I leave it in the freezer for about 20 mins, then apply very steady but very gradual pressure to move the joint. You need patience and a decent grip; it can sometimes take around a full 60 seconds for the joint to finally give, although when it does it is at least nice and obvious.

Thanks for the suggestions! I did not pop the joint out entirely with the hair dryer method. I just heated it up and tried to move it. I have had success using this method with stuck joints on TMNT classics figures. For popping the joint out entirely: can this be done with the wrist joints? Thanks! Max

This happens sometimes with black plastic figures. I've had good luck sticking the figure in the freezer. That way the plastic gets harder and you can turn the joint without tearing the plastic. It should continue to be able to turn after it thaws, too
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks for the suggestions! I did not pop the joint out entirely with the hair dryer method. I just heated it up and tried to move it. I have had success using this method with stuck joints on TMNT classics figures. For popping the joint out entirely: can this be done with the wrist joints? Thanks! Max
    I just boil water, and hold the affected hand in just past the wrist. It usually will pop right out of the joint then and you can inspect it to see if there's anything causing it to stick such as paint, or if it just sort of vapor locked upon assembly. Pretty easy fix usually.

Heroic Warrior
    Yes, you can just pull the hands right out once the plastic gets hot enough. Usually a minute or so with he hairdryer is plenty. Don't twist, and if it feels like the plastic is stretching too much or is taking a lot of work, just heat it some more. You're not going to permanently hurt the figure with a hairdryer from just a few minutes of exposure.

Apologies for slightly hijacking the thread... but does any one know if joints on Star Wars Black Series (6 inch figures) can be popped off in the same manner?
    It's impossible to move the elbow joint on my Boba Fett.

The black series figures can be heated and popped for the most part. That method usually doesn't work on figure torsos because they have a harder plastic.

How long is it recommended to soak the joint? I tried it tonight and although the plastic was softened, it would not pop out.

I always just use the freezer Trick. It has worked without fail.

How long is it recommended to soak the joint? I tried it tonight and although the plastic was softened, it would not pop out.
    I would heat the crap out of the entire forearm where the peg from the hand rests in. (I would use a hairdryer) Try to not heat the hand itself, as you want that peg to be less pliable ( cover the hand with some kind of shield). Then pull the hand with the wrist hole being the lever. It should come right out, if it doesn't the wrist and hand peg must be fused by something. Paint, glue, or otherwise. If you are in the US, I would try to get it out no mater what, even If I broke it, and then send it back as defective. At that point, you have done all you can to make it functional. The only other thing I can think that would work, is that when you have it heated up, pry the hand enough so you can see the connection, and with a tiny flat head or other tool try to run it along the connection point to see if you can dislodge the glue or paint so it will come out or move.

If you break it, it is not that hard to fix either.
    Last edited by darkmoon766; April 21, 2015 at 03:18am.