Thread: How much is a complete MOTUC collection worth both carded & loose? Ball Park figure?

Heroic Warrior

How much is a complete MOTUC collection worth both carded & loose? Ball Park figure?

Want to see how people estimate their collections?

Priceless!.lol a MOTU collection will never hold its worth like G.I Joe or Transformers. MOTU is just a special toyline that is a magical place for the 80s kids. Even vintage thundercats cost more than vintage MOTU figure online. But none of that really matters to a true MOTU collector because we will never want to part will them.

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    Priceless

Well, I don't have any plans to sell, but I know I've spent quote a bit on it...
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

The answer to both questions is the same: Mint on Card or Loose figures are worth however much somebody will pay you for them. It doesn't matter how much you think they are worth, or what some random 'price guide' says, because the buyer will only offer what they want to offer.

For example, if my comic book collection was worth what everybody tells me it's worth, I wouldn't even have to work. Granted, these are people who have never set foot inside a comic shop, or never checked out eBay.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; October 26, 2014 at 12:22am.
    Always Expect the Unexpected!

More now than 12 months from now.
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

Heroic Warrior Wonderbread He-Man's Avatar
    Probably retail price. The prices on the few expensive figures like Shadow Weaver, Fisto, etc. are offset by the many D-listers like Hydron, Netossa, Carnivus, Geldor, Fighting Foe Men, etc.
    Founder: MOTU Heroic Warriors Alliance
    A fan club for all MOTU/POP fans in Southern California

Id guesstimate $3000 or so for one. Loose and carded seem to go for the same amount so $6000 for both.

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    More now than 12 months from now.
    Yeah, at least half of the figures will be worth next-to-nothing once the line is over. There simply won't be a demand for the amount that is out there.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    How much is a complete collection worth both carded and loose??

However much somebody is willing to pay for them.

(Try to find that guy who recently dropped a mint on Amazing Fantasy No. 15...)
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

oh boy, minimum of 4500us for a collection of loose and misb.

My classics collection is very small, i would pout the value of 500€ on it

It depends how you sell them. When people talk about the value being next to nothing once the line ends... look at some of the rarest motu/pop figures from the 80s...

Spinnerella for exaple.... up for nearly £2000 on ebay with 20+ watching her. So, for the majority I think they will all stay as they are now - if not a little less. But the rare ones will remain rare and cost more as they do now.

I agree with Dayvid, the rare ones will remain rare and cost more as they do now UNLESS Mattel reissues them in 4 or 5 years, which i totally see happening in one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    I agree with Dayvid, the rare ones will remain rare and cost more as they do now UNLESS Mattel reissues them in 4 or 5 years, which i totally see happening in one way or another.
    I fully expect Shadow Weaver, Scare-Glow, Beast-Man, Teela, and Fisto to be made again before too long now. They're all pretty much at their peek in value now.
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

Heroic Warrior
    Just in money spent i would guess that each figure is around $37.00 after shipping. at least that is what many paid for them from matty. So if the ideal that we will have over 150 figures by the end of 2015 that would be. $5550.00. That number isn't exact but it is pretty close. I do not see any one paying that high but you never know.

I compiled an Unofficial Price Guide a couple of years ago and updated it sporadically. The last update was in March of 2014 and the ballpark value on eBay, based on average sale prices, was just over $7000!

Here's the link to the full guide, for reference:

Unofficial MOTUC Price Guide

It would be interesting to see what the current prices are, so I might do a complete update at the end of the year...
    Like He-Man & She-Ra artwork? Check out my latest art and MOTUC pics at Havoc Staff!

Quote Originally Posted by Dayvid View Post
    It depends how you sell them. When people talk about the value being next to nothing once the line ends... look at some of the rarest motu/pop figures from the 80s...

Spinnerella for exaple.... up for nearly £2000 on ebay with 20+ watching her. So, for the majority I think they will all stay as they are now - if not a little less. But the rare ones will remain rare and cost more as they do now.
    But there's a BIG difference between 1985 and 2014.

The figures from the 1980's are valuable carded because so very, very few actually survive. Very few folks thought ahead and saved them, and many of them that were "saved" were by accident - old cases that sat sealed for years in the back of some independent toy store or discount chain that someone later acquired when they went out of business, etc.

When you compare that to now, when so many folks buy doubles, triples, etc. and stash them away simply for the purpose of keeping them until they grow in value ("speculators") - I've always thought that it's quite possible that some MOTUC figures, particularly from the 2011-era where they were massively over-produced, have more sealed versions sitting in little white boxes hiding out in closets and attics than were actually opened already.

Scarcity increases value, and very little is scarce in MOTUC - percentage-wise, maybe 10-15% are routinely sold for double or more their original value?

To No-ah's point, the values have pretty much peaked on even that 10-15%. MOTUC values pretty much hit their zenith about a year ago around the promotion/release of Grayskull. That brought in a bunch of folks who wanted those early, classic figures. In retrospect, if Grayskull had been done a couple years earlier, we might have been able to sustain that boost - while some folks did stick it out and go for the whole collection, I think many more just settled for the essentials, or, since the essentials were so expensive and Grayskull had such a high price tag to begin with, just skipped the whole venture (which is why they are sitting on hundreds of Grayskulls).

Anyway, I believe we are already over that hump. There was a point a year ago where you at times couldn't even find a Teela for sale at any price - and when they did occasionally show up it was $180+, now they hover around the $100 mark, sometimes a bit more. A tiny bit of stock was released last CM, but my understanding it was a very tiny amount and wouldn't still show it's after affects now (since so many folks resold them immediately, many before they even got shipped them). You see the same with Fisto, etc. - they have definitely already come down from their peak, and it's highly unlikely they will go back up again with the line winding down.

Now, as to from here - traditionally, similar modern lines (particularly expansive ones) start to decrease in value when they end. Without new product, a lot less folks are coming into it (even less than now, where the gate of subscriptions kept many from even starting to begin with). And then you'll have the steady stream of folks who look around and realize "You know? I don't know if I need 150 figures sitting around taking up an entire room of my house..." especially the folks that have extras they saved to get rid of later, or even folks that initially thought they needed at least 2 - one to open, one to save MOC, etc. There is just so much product out there that will far outweigh any folks who jump in and start new.

I think a good equivalent would be the Buffy line to see what will happen to MOTUC. From what I understand, it had similar distribution numbers - and while it wasn't sold exclusively at one online store, it was a specialty line (I think maybe the first wave made it to general retail like TRU, and I'm not even sure of that) that was sold in comic shops and online, including some online store exclusives. In fact, they had quite a number of varied convention, online retailer, and otherwise exclusives.

When the line was still producing new figures, the secondary market prices were quite high. I remember looking into them at one point and feeling like I think a lot of folks do with MOTUC - it would be nice, but way too much of an investment to catch up. There were some figures, like Fiesta Giles or Bunny Suit Anya, that were just about impossible to get at any price, and when they did show up they were a couple hundred bucks (like how Teela has been). Average figures were going for 2-3x retail ($10 figures going for $20-30, that was the norm).

Then, once it was over, prices began to drop. Just as I said above, some folks who got caught up in the collecting bug realize "oh, I don't need dozens and dozens of carded figures", or have to downsize for whatever reason, or bought extras, etc. - now, most of those figures that just a few years before were $20-30 went back down to being difficult to sell even at original retail. Those hard to get figures like Fiesta Giles (who would roughly be equivalent to Sorceress, or a Fisto - it had limited quantities, far less than normal) are readily available now, in the $50 range - and those are usually folks who Buy It Now on eBay, when there is an auction - heck a traditional auction had a MOC Fiesta Giles that went for $10+ shipping in September (dang, I missed that one! LOL).

There are always exceptions and such, and there are certainly differences - but as far as a template, I think Buffy and MOTUC are actually more alike than not (down to the big Playset that got folks all excited happening at the end of the line - that's what finally got me in, when I tracked down a Library). But it's really just one example, though, of the overall trend - many toy lines have followed the same route - once production is over, many collectors retire, after having large collections, and/or start selling off extras they collected as it went along, collections start to go for sale, and there are more figures going out into the market than folks who are coming in new to start buying them.

I mean, heck, I haven't even bought anything specifically for resale later (well, that I haven't already sold off when we peaked) and I have a two shelves of a linen closet with stacks of white (and a few brown) boxes - probably somewhere around 20-25 figures that I ended up with in addition to my actual collection - a few to have extras for parts swap fodder, ones I ended up with for whatever reason (free Mer-man with Frosta, Mad Matty boxes, etc). I can only imagine if I didn't even try with what I came out having stashed away, that folks who stashed away on purpose account for a staggering number of figures that are just sitting boxed somewhere that will someday be on the market.

Of course, if/ when a movie comes out, prices will probably jump up again. Regardless of the toys released or the quality of the film, a new media endeavor usually brings in new and old fans interested in collecting.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Heroic Warrior Wonderbread He-Man's Avatar
    Maybe the best standard for comparison would be the 200x line. And since I never jumped on that bandwagon when it was released, can anyone tell us what the prices for 200x figures were then, and now?
    Founder: MOTU Heroic Warriors Alliance
    A fan club for all MOTU/POP fans in Southern California

tried to sell a nearly compleat 200x collection,on Ebay not to long ago tryed for $500 no bites so I decided to keep. back on topic, I have a nice MOTUC collection loose and carded. I would probley want 2 Grand just for my carded colletion of witch includes Sorceress, Wonderbread He man, SDCC King Grayskull, just to name a few having said that im not planing on selling any time soon. in fact I will be trying to compleat, my MOTUC collection. long after its done ill be on the lookout for those large lots.
    Last edited by braxsis364; October 30, 2014 at 08:17am.