Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playmates TMNT 2012 Michelangelo Video Review by Pixel Dan

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar

Playmates TMNT 2012 Michelangelo Video Review by Pixel Dan

Hey guys,

Playmates gave away a sneak peek figure from the upcoming TMNT toy line to those who attended New York Toy Fair. So od course I had to give it the video review treatment! Check out what to expect when these figures hit stores this Fall!

Enjoy!

As always, any questions, let me know!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Pretty cool, but I'm not going to get them. Now if they do the original comic book versions of them with that amount of articulation, I'll definitely get them. I thought NECA's had great sculpting, but they were very fragile and felt like moving a joint was going to snap it apart.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I finally came to terms that I had to wait until the Fall for these; then I saw this and my urgency to have these returned. ;-) Thnks for the review.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

to the nunchuks not having a chain link. ugh that's awful. but I love the toy, I agree with him being a little too light but overall, i place these 2nd behind the horsemen turtles.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

A few notes I have learned since finishing the review:

-The double jointed knees shown int he prototype images were nixed so that Playmates could hit price point
    - Unfortunately, it looks like the weapons will be a solid colored borwn just like the vintage figures when these hit retail. This, along with the overall simpler paint job, is a result of Playmates needing to hit price point

The figure is still a good figure. The problem is that they showed the world their hand painted, awesome looking prototypes before the final figures were approved. This gives fans something to compare the final releases to, and is ultimately going to let a lot of folks down.

Hey Dan,
    Are the knees ball joints like the elbows? Or a straight hinge?
    Also - is that a serialized number of the back of his shell - i.e. did they number the samples given out at Toy Fair?

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post

-The double jointed knees shown int he prototype images were nixed so that Playmates could hit price point
    - Unfortunately, it looks like the weapons will be a solid colored borwn just like the vintage figures when these hit retail. This, along with the overall simpler paint job, is a result of Playmates needing to hit price point

The figure is still a good figure. The problem is that they showed the world their hand painted, awesome looking prototypes before the final figures were approved. This gives fans something to compare the final releases to, and is ultimately going to let a lot of folks down.
    oh no. I'm let down already. don't care much about the knees but the lesser paints coupled with the chuks, I might be passing (we'll see how they look nin hand though)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Not all the surprising, well on the paint. Chances are the joints they were in process of still figuring out if they could or could not after the prototype was made and painted up. The final decision was probably made before showing but didn't give them enough time to pop out a new 'prototype,' especially since it would cost money to do so.

Paint applications for prototypes are almost never what we end up with in store. It's just like selling the horse, feed them a small dose of arsenic they shed old hair and get a nice new shiny coat, fudge the rest of the details so when the person gets home and a few weeks later the horse starts showing it's age again you only stretched the truth. Yes that is his coat. I have wondered if retailers often handle lines like they do because of these practices of selling the horse. I am sure what is made worse is fans are much more aware of it now, seeing somewhat grainy lower definition pictures of a product does help keep those details to a minimum, but now with super high definition pictures and videos we can see what is shown at toyfair then people are disappointed when they get in store.
    Last edited by wyldman11; February 16, 2012 at 12:04pm.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Croaker View Post
    Hey Dan,
    Are the knees ball joints like the elbows? Or a straight hinge?
    Also - is that a serialized number of the back of his shell - i.e. did they number the samples given out at Toy Fair?
    Nope, the knees are not ball jointed. Just a standard, single joint.

And yeah, there is a number onhis shell that matches a number on the box. So these Toy Fair figures appear to be numbered exclusives.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Not all the surprising, well on the paint. Chances are the joints they were in process of still figuring out if they could or could not after the prototype was made and painted up. The final decision was probably made before showing but didn't give them enough time to pop out a new 'prototype,' especially since it would cost money to do so.

Paint applications for prototypes are almost never what we end up with in store. It's just like selling the horse, feed them a small dose of arsenic they shed old hair and get a nice new shiny coat, fudge the rest of the details so when the person gets home and a few weeks later the horse starts showing it's age again you only stretched the truth. Yes that is his coat. I have wondered if retailers often handle lines like they do because of these practices of selling the horse. I am sure what is made worse is fans are much more aware of it now, seeing somewhat grainy lower definition pictures of a product doesn't helps keep those details to a minimum, but now with super high definition pictures and videos we can see what is shown at toyfair then people are disappointed when they get in store.
    Yeah, this is by no means a new practice. The hand painted prototypes always look much better than the final product. Once the company starts translating that prototype into an action figure to sell, they always end up having to change some things around for various reasons. Usually cost, which seems to be the issue here. In order to produce these figures at a cost that allowed them to still be sold for the $8-$10 price point, they had to nix the double jointed knees and simplify the paint job.

It's understandable, but of course causes us to be let down a bit. It's almost like you wish toy companies wouldn't show us the early prototypes, becuase it's like they are setting us up for disapointment.

I will reiterate, though, that even with the changes, I still like the figure quite a bit. Yes, the prototype looks much better, but the final product is still a relaly cool toy imo.
    Last edited by Pixel Dan; February 16, 2012 at 12:01pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I will reiterate, though, that even with the changes, I still like the figure quite a bit. Yes, the prototype looks much better, but the final product is still a relaly cool toy imo.
    I agree or I wouldn't have most of the toys I have now. This is one reason I don't get too much into prototype shots etc, I know without getting out a microscope the figure probably isn't going to look quite as good at retail. Still they are an amazing figure.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    I first saw these on the PCN website or on an It Figures episode (can't remember which) and I REALLY liked the design. I usually don't like revamp looks or combining looks of previous iterations, but they seemed to really nail merging a cartoon-y and comic-y feel on these guys, which I wouldn't have thought possible. However, my enthusiasm was quickly curbed when I later saw the non-turtles in the line. Ugh, I hated them. What are your thoughts on THOSE figures Dan?

I may pick up just the turtles from this line or I may just stick with the classics line.
    Last edited by Sword2Blanket; February 16, 2012 at 02:44pm.

Honestly, I like almost everythign they've shown. I think this new line will do a good job of capturing the attention of kids, which is a good thing for the property. I have no doubt the new show will be popular on Nick, and these toys shoudl all sell well.

And I like the new Shredder and Kraang quite a bit. And they showed off a Metal Head prototype at Toy Fair which looks sweet!

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Croaker View Post
    Hey Dan,
    I'm curious about this as well.

Also, Dan, this is more of an opinion question for you, but looking at the belt and how it's glued on, does it look like there's a possibility for a lot of these figures being released with off-centered belts due to gluing them on too quickly on the assembly line? Like, does it look like if these were made too fast that a lot of figures could be released with the belts glued on crooked?

I'd hate to finally find these figures on the shelves, but then have to be selective when buying them because of some of them having manufacturing flaws; sorta like trying to find a not so bent Thundersword with the recent 4" Lion-O figures, even though that's a material issue and not an assembly flaw.

great review as always but it hasn't made me change my mind about not liking this new line. I just don't like the thick tree trunk legs or the wraps or really the general design of the toy at all. I much prefer the look of the upcoming Classics line as they look more like the Turtles that I grew up with, namely the ones from the 80's toon.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by The.Idea.of.Evil View Post
    I'm curious about this as well.
    See above. I answered that one.

Also, Dan, this is more of an opinion question for you, but looking at the belt and how it's glued on, does it look like there's a possibility for a lot of these figures being released with off-centered belts due to gluing them on too quickly on the assembly line? Like, does it look like if these were made too fast that a lot of figures could be released with the belts glued on crooked?

I'd hate to finally find these figures on the shelves, but then have to be selective when buying them because of some of them having manufacturing flaws; sorta like trying to find a not so bent Thundersword with the recent 4" Lion-O figures, even though that's a material issue and not an assembly flaw.
    Hmmm, I dunno. I suppose it is a possibilty. The one I have here seems pretty straight, but this is a good question. I uess we'll probably have to wait for the retail release to see if this will be an issue. Fingers crossed it won't be!

excellent stuff as usual, dan!

I'm excited for these figures, but I hope they will look closer to the prototypes.

Since they are geared towards kids, I doubt we'll see the spiked weapon, and maybe the chain is considered a safety risk as well, I don't know..
    Check out my blog about toys and food: http://toysandbacon.blogspot.com/

Great review Dan!

I'm passing on the 4" line but I will be buying the classics.

I'm aware that prototypes usually have the better paint, but the figure dan had to review - well I thought that was a production piece. if you look at the first look figures on mtv geek vs the ones at toy fair (same one Dan had) the paint jobs on the mtv geek ones are WAY more detailed. also since these were given out, again I thought they were production pieces.

Fear is faith in failure

Yeah, that's never a good idea. Thankfully, I've been buyin' toys for awhile now, so I'm used to the prototype/production changes. I'm still liking what I see here, and I'm pretty excited about them! Even with a few points of articulation missing you can still get quite a bit out of them. I do wish they wouldn't skimp on the baguys like always, but at least they look better than thier past offerings.

I think I'm gona dump my Turtles from the previous movie and replace 'em with these.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post

I think I'm gona dump my Turtles from the previous movie and replace 'em with these.
    If you really want to do that, I know a guy who needs a lot of the figures from that movie line still. That guy is me! I actually passed on them int he stores, and regretted it after they were gone, so I've been trying to pick them up. So, if you really want to sell them, let me know. I may be interested!

BUT, back on topic!

I think the articulation is really good on these. Comparable to those 2007 movie figures, and better than most all other TMNT incarnations from Plamates. No "battle poses" this time, which I love! There seems to be the right amount of articulation this time. A little more could have been nice, but what we're getting is pretty good, imo.

Not sure if you guys have seen this yet, but this is what the final piece will look like when it hits retail. It's pretty much identical to the one I have except the nunchucks are not painted.But, he'll also come with several other accessories just like the vintage figures.

Last edited by Pixel Dan; February 16, 2012 at 08:58pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

loved the video! these can't come soon enough for me!!! MUST HAVE !
    Metal chain unnecessary. I wondered if they put the TMNTC weapons in the wrong hands, since i can't imagine a kids toy with real metal chains. The plastic chains seem more durable and more kid friendly.
    No more stuff for sell, all donated, done!
    I still need MOTUC: Strobos, King Grayskull, Wun-Dar, and Preternia He-Man
    Join us at https://www.facebook.com/groups/2544672215/

bummer on the articulation. I was really glad to see they had that because they could get into more poses.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post

Paint applications for prototypes are almost never what we end up with in store. It's just like selling the horse, feed them a small dose of arsenic they shed old hair and get a nice new shiny coat, fudge the rest of the details so when the person gets home and a few weeks later the horse starts showing it's age again you only stretched the truth. Yes that is his coat. I have wondered if retailers often handle lines like they do because of these practices of selling the horse. I am sure what is made worse is fans are much more aware of it now, seeing somewhat grainy lower definition pictures of a product does help keep those details to a minimum, but now with super high definition pictures and videos we can see what is shown at toyfair then people are disappointed when they get in store.
    I never knew that about horses.

Nope, the knees are not ball jointed. Just a standard, single joint.

And yeah, there is a number onhis shell that matches a number on the box. So these Toy Fair figures appear to be numbered exclusives.

Yeah, this is by no means a new practice. The hand painted prototypes always look much better than the final product. Once the company starts translating that prototype into an action figure to sell, they always end up having to change some things around for various reasons. Usually cost, which seems to be the issue here. In order to produce these figures at a cost that allowed them to still be sold for the $8-$10 price point, they had to nix the double jointed knees and simplify the paint job.

It's understandable, but of course causes us to be let down a bit. It's almost like you wish toy companies wouldn't show us the early prototypes, becuase it's like they are setting us up for disapointment.

I will reiterate, though, that even with the changes, I still like the figure quite a bit. Yes, the prototype looks much better, but the final product is still a really cool toy imo.
    Indeed. I do sometimes wish that companies would stop sending out photshopped, ideal pictures of their product. It just is a let down when you get them at times.

I will still get a set of the turtles but that Shredder is horrible. I DO hate that no other figures but the turtles ever have any real, usuable articulation. I guess my hope is the classic line goes beyond the turtles.

Well PD, you can always sell the preview figure on ebay. I wonder how many were made? I am surprised my radical retro turtle toy talk didn't call dibs on it? LOL
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    I never knew that about horses.
    And really it does more then that, said horse will also appear to have the strength and vigor of a younger horse. Basically it's a stimulant for the horse.

I have been told this, and I did some brief research on the google, part of the problem is many horses have died from arsenic poisoning so a bit more difficult to do good research on the subject. But from what I gathered this is part of the reason people used it to see if they got similar benefits.

Wow they still look great even with the dumbed down paint apps and weapons. (Although the protos in hand would have been awesome) I hope these make it down to SA... I dont fancy Trans-Atlantic hunting for these...
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

I'm not sure about SA, but I heard that the UK release isn't planned until Summer 2013...almost a full year after the US release. Definitely a bummer for those overseas.