Thread: He-Man Lifesize Bust coming from PCS

Heroic Warrior

He-Man Lifesize Bust coming from PCS

He-man bust
    Attached Images Attached Images

Merry Christmas Everyone! MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalThrasher View Post
    He-man bust
    I got the e-mail also and am pretty excited. He looks pretty cool...much better than the Skeletor bust IMO, but something is still off. Can't wait to see the final painted version.
    Last edited by MOTU_Maniac; June 23, 2014 at 08:42am.
    In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
    Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
    Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
    In the bleak midwinter, long ago...
    ...a stable place sufficed.

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
    If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
    If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
    Yet what can I give Him?....[I can] give my heart.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    I got the e-mail also and am pretty excited. He looks pretty cool...much better than the Skeletor bust IMO. Can't wait to see the final painted version.
    Yeah I actually really like the way He-man looks. Not what I was expecting. Really like Skeletor too. These are just out of my price range. If I come across some extra money and they're still available, then I probably will buy these.

Looks pretty good so far. However if we ignore the fact that I would not be able to afford this, it's really just a bust of a blonde buff guy. The bit of harness easily identifies it as He-Man but really his "bust" is hardly all that cool. Skeletor is much better.

Of course you want the Main guy. But MOTU has a ton of characters that would befar more interesting outside of He-Man.

I already bought all of the statues, I have no room for these. The Skeletor bust did not impress me, and as cool as this looks. It's still a no for me.

This should be a great "bookend" to go along with the Skeletor bust!!

I wonder what the exclusive version might be?
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

If it was not for the harness which identifies it as He-Man I would think it was the Incredible Hulk in need of a hair cut. Not a fan of it tbh.

Kickin' It Old Skool! Alex The Kid's Avatar
    He definitely still needs some detail added to his vest and a sheathed Power Sword sticking out of his back wouldn't hurt either

Quote Originally Posted by Alex The Kid View Post
    He definitely still needs some detail added to his vest and a sheathed Power Sword sticking out of his back wouldn't hurt either
    Completely agree, but he looks like the He-Man who would go cold-blooded on anyone who messes with him. Love the sculpt and wish I could afford this as well as the light up Skeletor bust.
    I make my own MOTU video game stuff. Check it out.

dA - wallbie.deviantart.com
    YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/wallbieswarriors
    Daily Motion - http://www.dailymotion.com/wallbie#video=x14o6e4

Heroic Warrior
    I figure something like this would split the masses down the middle. For me filmation is the ultimate version of He-Man and company. Its what I grew up with! I mean sure I had all the toys, but the cartoon was to see that realized. Everything from the voices ( John Erwin was great), to the way characters act, to the background music and scenery, its all burned in my memory. So thats my preference on anything MOTU related.

But I can definitely see why people enjoy other versions. I like the way these busts look. Not the definitive version for me, but I can still appreciate them. If they were more affordable and didn't eat up so much space, I'd buy these for sure.

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    Very cool indeed!!!! The only thing I'm not digging too much is how much detail there is in his brow. It seems like there are too many lines there, but I could be wrong....

Still very cool!!!! I hope to be able to get one when they go up for preorder. Finances are not the best these days.....

This is pretty frustrating for me. I'm constantly wondering what PCS will release next because that's probably what I'll buy next, but I have zero interest in this.

I agree with those who say it looks like a blonde guy wearing He-Man's armor while standing in the wind no less. Why is it always so windy when a modern take on He-Man shows up? Hordak or any of Skeletor's main henchmen would be better choices in my opinion. If they had teased a headshot would anyone have known who it was?

Widget
    Ugh... I can't keep buying these.... I've pre-ordered all the statues including the Skeletor Bust.. STOP!

Quote Originally Posted by foots_mcgee View Post
    This is pretty frustrating for me. I'm constantly wondering what PCS will release next because that's probably what I'll buy next, but I have zero interest in this.

I agree with those who say it looks like a blonde guy wearing He-Man's armor while standing in the wind no less. Why is it always so windy when a modern take on He-Man shows up? Hordak or any of Skeletor's main henchmen would be better choices in my opinion. If they had teased a headshot would anyone have known who it was?
    I agree. Something is off. The hair bothers me less than the forehead area. You take away the harness and he resembles He-Man very little.

Actually, I think this He Man bust (even this early version) has surpassed what I expected it to be. I don't know if it's the definitive version, but it looks incredibly life-like and, for me, addresses the question "if you ran into this character in real life, what would he look like?"

I think the way PCS has portrayed Skeletor (and now He Man) sufficiently addresses that question. Unfortunately, these busts may not be for everyone...especially at their price points.

Quote Originally Posted by sircory-1 View Post
    Actually, I think this He Man bust (even this early version) has surpassed what I expected it to be. I don't know if it's the definitive version, but it looks incredibly life-like and, for me, addresses the question "if you ran into this character in real life, what would he look like?"

I think the way PCS has portrayed Skeletor (and now He Man) sufficiently addresses that question. Unfortunately, these busts may not be for everyone...especially at their price points.
    If I ran into this character in real life, I wouldn't know him from Adam.

I just came from the PCS office to pick my He-man statue up and Jesse was nice enough to give me a quick tour. I met the sculptor while he was working on this. It is no where near done and is still in its wet clay format. Mattel was making them redo the whole face and eyebrows to their exacting standards. Give it a chance as it is just in the beginning phase.
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Quote Originally Posted by jmb410s View Post
    I just came from the PCS office to pick my He-man statue up and Jesse was nice enough to give me a quick tour. I met the sculptor while he was working on this. It is no where near done and is still in its wet clay format. Mattel was making them redo the whole face and eyebrows to their exacting standards. Give it a chance as it is just in the beginning phase.
    That is so cool you got a tour!! Also, thanks for the update on the He-Man bust. Sounds a lot more promising if they can get the eyebrows fixed.

What in the HELL are you people talking about?! How is this "not He-Man"?!?! He-Man has simply been a blonde dude since the beginning! I........I am really confused. Filmation is my favorite, but for anything not Filmation based, how can you be surprised that this is how he 'looks'. If you don't like the windy hair, fine, and maybe the brow is a bit too wrinkly, but those are basically just artistic choices, so if his hair was flat and his brow not so wrinkled.....how else would you expect him to look?

I've never been a fan of busts, but this thing is absolutely incredible. I love it. If I did collect this type of high-end item, I'd be thrilled to buy it. If they ever do a smaller/less expensive one (like $100) I'll happily buy it.

And yes, the sword in the sheath would be a great addition.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Warrior
    An interesting post from the statue forum:

Hey guys,

The He-Man bust has been in production long before anyone saw the Alex Ross litho. I suppose it's not a coincidence that they look alike, since they booth use the same reference source, though our's is a bit younger-looking so far.

Keep in mind that Newsletter picture is just an early sculpt, still subject to change both in-house and from Mattel's notes. A more final version should be on display at our SDCC booth.*
    Come on down and say Hi!

Best,
    Sean
    Creative Director, PCS Collectibles

- - - Updated - - -

I guess Jerry didn't see the posts between me, you, and MrYac
    I would have rather seen Spikor, Kobra Khan, or Zodac!

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    Cool updates!! I hope they tone down the brow wrinkles just a bit. Otherwise, I LOVE this look and sculpt!! I'm totally fine with the wind blown hair. It does look extremely lifelike and how I would expect a really ****** off He-Man to look

Not necessarily trying to toot my own horn here, but what's been accomplished so far with this sculpt is what I've tried to emulate in my own created wrestlers/superstars in the WWE video games when it comes to He-Man. You can see what I did in WWE '12 for a really decent reference:

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20...ie-d4smr9x.jpg

I don't think your average He-Fan, She-Raver or casual fan would make a gay joke or remark about the campy elements of the costume when they see my CAW here or this bust being offered. Really wish I could pre-order. He looks seasoned, stoic as hell like a freakin' marine or a royal guard. His eyes look like he'd save a village from a raging fire first before pummeling Skeletor and the Council of Evil half to death, and then look to a posturing Horde army like "you don't want none of this" and have them thinking twice before they fire the first shot. This is He-Man at his core, and what I feel Mattel aimed for from the beginning. He's not Superman waving an American flag and acting like the boy next door, and he's not Conan the Barbarian bedding whatever woman he just saved and killing whoever crosses his path. He's right down the middle of those two extremes. While the middle's the worst place to drive on the road, I think it's a good starting place for He-Man.

This sculpture's awesome and I hope to own it one day.
    I make my own MOTU video game stuff. Check it out.

dA - wallbie.deviantart.com
    YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/wallbieswarriors
    Daily Motion - http://www.dailymotion.com/wallbie#video=x14o6e4

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    What in the HELL are you people talking about?! How is this "not He-Man"?!?! He-Man has simply been a blonde dude since the beginning! I........I am really confused. Filmation is my favorite, but for anything not Filmation based, how can you be surprised that this is how he 'looks'. If you don't like the windy hair, fine, and maybe the brow is a bit too wrinkly, but those are basically just artistic choices, so if his hair was flat and his brow not so wrinkled.....how else would you expect him to look?

I've never been a fan of busts, but this thing is absolutely incredible. I love it. If I did collect this type of high-end item, I'd be thrilled to buy it. If they ever do a smaller/less expensive one (like $100) I'll happily buy it.

And yes, the sword in the sheath would be a great addition.
    Filmation He-Man is a blonde dude with an iconic look that everyone recognizes. Modern/realistic He-Man not so much. There is a reason people are saying things like "this is how I imagine he would look."

Mattel hasn't really showed us what a realistic or even modern He-Man looks like other than the blonde windswept hair. They have been pretty inconsistent if you ask me. Just look at the comic. They can't even decide what he wears.

PCS also has a life size bust of Ryu from Street Fighter. This is a human face that is instantly recognizable to everyone even remotely familiar with Street Fighter. A realistic interpretation of a video game character and there is no doubt who it is even if you don't think the sculpt is spot on. People know what he looks like because Capcom defined his look.

This is all my opinion by the way. I am glad some people dig it.

Edit: I'm hoping the final product turns me around. I don't hate the face, but the forehead needs work. If this is going to be modern/realistic He-Man, then I'm fine with that. They should incorporate as many unique He-Man elements as possible. Adding the power sword hilt would go a long way.
    Last edited by foots_mcgee; June 24, 2014 at 01:52am.

I think he looks awesome!!! I wish he had the red squares on his harness though, for me that is a unique design element that should never be removed. (I hated that Filmation never had it but I understand why it was removed to make the animation easier)
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Filmation He-Man is a blonde dude with an iconic look that everyone recognizes. Modern/realistic He-Man not so much. There is a reason people are saying things like "this is how I imagine he would look."

Mattel hasn't really showed us what a realistic or even modern He-Man looks like other than the blonde windswept hair. They have been pretty inconsistent if you ask me. Just look at the comic. They can't even decide what he wears.

PCS also has a life size bust of Ryu from Street Fighter. This is a human face that is instantly recognizable to everyone even remotely familiar with Street Fighter. A realistic interpretation of a video game character and there is no doubt who it is even if you don't think the sculpt is spot on. People know what he looks like because Capcom defined his look.

This is all my opinion by the way. I am glad some people dig it.

Edit: I'm hoping the final product turns me around. I don't hate the face, but the forehead needs work. If this is going to be modern/realistic He-Man, then I'm fine with that. They should incorporate as many unique He-Man elements as possible. Adding the power sword hilt would go a long way.
    I see your point, and I actually guess I was making the same one; BECAUSE he's never really had a defined look (outside of Filmation), I don't see how people can see a sculpture of a muscular blonde guy and say it doesn't look like He-Man.

Yes, if you took away the armor, it could be anyone, but that's why it's a bust, not just a statue of a head! However, I DO think this looks like He-Man, clearly a warrior, but also with a serene expression. And damn it, maybe I only see it because I want to, but I see compassion in those eyes. All of those things make it He-Man to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    I think he looks awesome!!! I wish he had the red squares on his harness though, for me that is a unique design element that should never be removed. (I hated that Filmation never had it but I understand why it was removed to make the animation easier)
    I think/hope they will be included as well; look at the armor, the area all around the cross is textured and detailed, whereas the shoulder straps look flat and plain, so I'm hoping that means they're still unfinished.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.