Thread: Orko statue from Sideshow and Tweeterhead

Orko statue from Sideshow and Tweeterhead

News from Sideshow below!

"Sideshow is proud to announce a new addition to our Masters of the Universe series, Orko, developed and produced in partnership with our friends at Tweeterhead!

This is exciting news for MOTU fans, as Tweeterhead is joining Sideshow as a creative partner to continue to develop even more of the famous faces from Eternia and Etheria that fans know and love.

We sat down with Chad Colebank from Tweeterhead to talk about a new take on a classic Masters Of The Universe character.

Hi Chad! The latest member of this all-star Masters of the Universe cast is none other than everyone's favorite Trollan – Orko! Tell us more!

As a child, Orko was always one of my favorite characters, and I was excited to bring him into the alternative MOTU world that Sideshow has created.

We thought it would be interesting to show a serious side to Orko. Although he is a light-hearted character, a magic user in Sideshow’s more fantasy inspired version of the Masters of the Universe could be a serious threat as well. There’s a danger there.

I think we've brought him up to date while remaining true to the original, and I'm thrilled with the end result.

Orko is a popular character among fans. He’s known for his bumbling attempts at magic spells and his comic relief, but he also had some touching and heroic moments over the years. How did you begin capturing the true character of Orko in statue form?

From the beginning, we really wanted to focus the Orko statue in a very specific moment in time – and for me, that moment was a spell actually going correctly!

This is a collaboration between Sideshow and Tweeterhead, and will continue in the same "epic fantasy" inspired version of the MOTU world that Sideshow began with He-Man, Skeletor, Evil Lynn, and She-Ra. Was it a challenge to bring that darker vision to such a lighthearted character?

If anything, we were actually trying to not go too crazy with the design!

Sideshow laid a strong groundwork with their previously released MOTU statues, which I think are some of the best pieces I have ever seen in the collectible field. In fact, I would go as far as to say that Sideshow's Skeletor is one of the absolute best pieces I have ever seen produced!

The aim was to make him work within Sideshow’s already established aesthetic, and alongside He-Man in particular. I think we accomplished that really well with our base design.

We agree! The base in particular is just stunning. Can you tell us more about this design?

Sure! I LOVE Castle Grayskull and cannot express how amazingly cool Sideshow’s He-Man base is. We really wanted to capture another part of Grayskull’s interior. The thought was that wherever Orko is in the castle, it's got to be someplace awfully magical because he is working at full power!

My amazing friend and MOTU expert Nathan Baertsch designed both Orko and his base. Matt Black, another friend and AMAZING Sculptor, brought Orko to life in 3D. He did an amazing job, and I hope to keep this team moving onto the next piece!

The love for He-Man in the Sideshow offices is so much fun. Mike Tolentino [Sideshow Project Manager] and I bounced so many ideas around…

What's your favorite thing about this figure? Any little touches or details that make him stand out for you personally?

I love everything about him, but the small bits of armor he wears are awesome. You also get a little sneak peek at a bit of his face, and it’s really cool!

Plus, I LOVE the detail on the top of the base that Matt Black sculpted.

Any hints on the next stage of this MOTU collaboration?

I’m going to be an "Imp" and keep the next release a secret, although the fans who purchased She-Ra should probably make some room next to her!

For all the latest updates about the upcoming Orko Statue from Sideshow and Tweeterhead, be sure to RSVP on his preview page. Be sure to visit Sideshow at Booth #1912 at NYCC 2017 for your first in-person look at Orko!"

Check out the original article to see more images!
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2017!

This looks great!

Horrray for Orko!
    just another masterpiece made by Sideshow, it looks like some 200x elements are there too,
    that's very nice rendition of the character! waiting for final results at NYCC
    I bet the next one will be a terrific Hordak statue!
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."

am I wrong or is the colour photo an illustration? I am intrigued by the sculpting of Orko's "face", I like it alot, but I am excited to see it painted as the illustration does not accurately portray his painted sculpt.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    am I wrong or is the colour photo an illustration? I am intrigued by the sculpting of Orko's "face", I like it alot, but I am excited to see it painted as the illustration does not accurately portray his painted sculpt.
    It is an illustration. And I'm pretty sure the sculpture images are 3D renders. I imagine it'll be a while before we see an actual painted physical model.

Master of New Adventures!
    Wow! Just WOW!

How cool would it be if they could offer that incredible background as an optional diorama to display him on and do the same with all figs? Even better if all dioramas could link together. Could you imagine that on a display shelf and as a battleground!

Unmotivated webcomicker KidTDragon's Avatar
    Very nice! I'm really digging Sideshow's reinterpretations so far, and Orko is no exception.
    Track your MotU collection at shmax.com!

Almost Comics: Occasionally updated; occasionally funny.
    When you're done laughing, visit the store!

Wii code: 5872 5712 0970 1915 (let me know if you're adding me)
    XBL Gamertag: KidTDragon
    PSN User ID: KidTDragon
    Nintendo Network ID: KidTDragon
    Steam: KidTDragon

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ironman's Avatar
    I wonder what this will cost.
    Ironmans Want List:

MOTUC: I want them all!!!!!!

Classic Line: Battle Ram, Wind Raider, Tower Tools, Eternia, Laser Power He-man, Laser Light Skeletor, Tytus and Megator.

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    These statues look really good.

I'm not 100% sold on this Orko. The face mainly. Hopefully it recedes back into the hat/shadow. Also, he feels like a BA Na'vi+Trollan super mage warrior more than the Orko I'm familiar with. Which is a neat take, and yeah, pretty much looks like a far more detailed 200X Orko.

I guess the one thing that the previous three had (I'm only familiar with Skele, He-Man and Lyn), is that they all looked as if they were high budget movie dressed actors or great cosplay that you would see in an epic feature. I high form of realism. This looks like the character that was added in CG and doesn't really fit in my head, because they brought my pretend movie from the 70s-80s into the current time. I mean this looks more like Avatar (movie, not amazing toon) than what the previous statues looked like. Even the bases had an old Conan feel about them.

And of course I just looked around and found She-Ra. The figure is amazing, but that base also feels out of place. I like a nicely detailed base, but I want my eyes to go to the figure, not right to the overdressed platform they stand on.

Just my thoughts. These are sick and very nice quality in appearance. They have a major movie vibe about them that works and gives hope that we'll see such a thing on screen one day!

Looks cool. Never really thought we'd get a statue of Orko on his own. Hopefully his smaller stature will mean the statue will not cost the same as the other MOTU Sideshow statues have been.
    Most wanted: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) Masks of Power Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Kittrina, 17) Vizar, 18) Butthead, 19) Nocturna, 20) Melaktha, 21) Stridor, 22) Uncle Montork & Dree-Elle, 23) ABC Giants

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    Nice pics. I like seeing that base. Ties them together a little better for sure!

Awesome! Thanks for sharing, Orkomage.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2017!

That Orko statue is awesome. It does look like it takes a lot of design elements from 200x, like the staff and multiple layers of robes. I really like how we can see some facial detail, yet it is still in shadow. And yes, that base is just perfect. He really looks like he is floating, that was a nice effect. I just hope to afford it some day!

BTW: I wonder since they are making Imp next, would Hordak be far behind?
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post

BTW: I wonder since they are making Imp next, would Hordak be far behind?
    From that hint I took it to mean that Hordak is next, and Imp may come with him. I can't imagine they're doing standalone Imp.
    I am an illustrator, please check out my work:

www.lukespicer.com

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    How cool is orko, very happy.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!