Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Origin of Skeletor Discussion Thread

Widget

The Origin of Skeletor Discussion Thread

Sup everyone, I'm kind of new....I made this account a while ago, but only used it once, so whats up again

Anyways, this is my opinion about my favorite villain

I've always thought that not only the 2002 cartoon kind of ruined Skeletors origin for me, apparently MOTUC bios (which I feel are so random, lol) followed suit with the cartoons bio. I'll explain

-Randor and Keldor being brothers: Whenever the protagonist and antagonist are related, It's just Star Wars all over again for me (not to mention He-Man and She-ra being twins of power/destiny)I know this came back from the minicomic days or something, but, I have never seen the relevance in them being related, unlike Star Wars, where Luke and Vaders relationship was a driving point of the films

-Keldor being turned into Skeletor by Hordak: again, invokes Star Wars. The Emperor took a battered Anakin...made him Vader...whatever. I was always kind of hoping Skeletor would follow more of a tragic villain background, like he made himself into Skeletor by using a spell in which he did not fully comprehend or a backfired spell he used to save his own life something of that effect. I still think him being Hordaks pupil was OK. In the most likely probability Skeletor had planned to usurp him. I never liked the fact that he was "created"

-Keldor was not a magic user: apparently in the 2002 toon, primarily in flashback episodes, he never used magic...just sword fighting skills. He even states to Evil-Lyn at some point "Use YOUR magic". Again thought this made Keldor kind of lame. I wish he would have already been a warlock of some power and his transformation to Skeletor would have increased his abilities with loss of his sanity and emotions and senses. A common trade well known villains make the "pound of flesh" reference comes to mind

-Demo-Man: ***???

So thats something that keeps me up at night (not really) Just thought I'd share being you guys probably know this stuff better than I do

thanks, any input would be appreciated

Well, originally (this is according to the minicomics & Filmation "Bible"), Skeletor was a planet hopper, conquering planets one at a time with his magic and...well, less-than-charismatic...personality (later on, Hordak & the Horde take on this role). Specifically, he was from the planet Infinita (which the MOTUC has turned into a dimension that Trap Jaw is now from and Scareglow was banished to). That is, until he plopped himself on Eternia. There, he found that Castle Grayskull housed all the power in the universe that he could want & decided he would take that for himself (which would make conquering the universe a snap...literally!). The Goddess intervened by asking He-Man (then just a barbarian, jungle man who's people fought against Beast Man's people on occasion) to protect the Sword of Power--the key to opening Grayskull that had been split into two halves in case something like this ever happened. She gave him the chest harness (which amplified his strength, helped his agility, and sometimes defied gravity--depending on the story), battle axe, and shield. Skeletor did not like this opposition, and instead of just giving up & moving onto the next planet, he decided that the power of Grayskull would be his & he was going to stay until he made it so. So he set up Snake Mountain, told all Eternian villains they were under his command (if they defied him, he would remind them why he was their leader), and continued to wage war against He-Man and the rest of the Masters.

Much as I loved the bungler Skeletor in the cartoons as a kid, I also like the fact that he was originally a much more ruthless creature with no known origin other than being from Infinita. Makes him seem that much more of a bad guy with inadaquate minions rather than himself being one of the reasons he can't gain what he wants.

With Keldor (now onto 200x), he was an alchemist who also practiced magic (or Magick). Hordak found him, enticed him with more power, gave him magic & told him where to look for more (why else would he have been invading Zalesia where he met Evil-Lyn if not to look for magic artifacts or books?). The Filmation Skeletor was more magical with firing bolts of energy from his fingertips or waving open a dimensional portal, than the Jetlag (NAHM) or 200x who seemed only to have magic in his staff (he could call it to his hand, but didn't cast very many spells without it). Being half-elven (Gar), he has a better ability to learn magic than a human would. He and Randor are also only half-brothers (same father, different mothers), although I've read that they were unaware they were related in this series.

As far as the Star Wars thing goes, Vader and Luke were no more related than I am to a rock until Lucas decided to put that plot twist in after making the first movie (3 years later). Looking at the original story for what came to be "A New Hope" (the only SW book Lucas ever wrote; the rest were written by others from his screen plays), there was no family liniage. No Luke & Leia or Vader being fomerly Anakin. Looking at stories and comics that came between Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, there was no more Skywalker family. His uncle and aunt had been it.

For a correlation, this is the same thing that happened in the MOTU. Keldor was Randor's long lost brother that was mentioned in one of the last minicomics, "The Search for Keldor", but it was never stated that Skeletor was Keldor reformed. He just said that them (the Masters) knowing what happened to Keldor could destroy him. Maybe (if the original line had continued) it could have gone this way instead: Keldor had accidentally created Skeletor when messing with chemicals or magic that he shouldn't have, and his creation had killed him (like Frankenstein) or sent him to another dimension (like the Enchantress who spirited away King Miro). If they found Keldor in another dimension (or contacted his spirit), he could tell them how to undo what he had done (Skeletor). Just a fun possibility.
    Last edited by Mistico; August 29, 2011 at 08:21pm.
    From my youth and hometown when I was a kid...He-Matt and the Masters of the Kunaverse!

My feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=214152
    My customs thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=215292
    My B/S/T thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ings-For-Sale!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    never had thought of star war & motu having similarities.
    i must admit that yes you make a good point.

UK MOTU Comics Junkie Mosquitor's Avatar
    Personally I think Mattel ruined Skeletor's origin the second they brought in Keldor. I don't like the idea of him being Randor's brother at all... I much prefer the original concept behind the character as in the early minicomics. I think the MYP series would have been much more effective if Skeletor's origin had been left a mystery, like in the classic media.

That's pretty accurate save for two things. In the vintage line it was actually confirmed that keldor was in fact skeletor. That's why they had the similar sounding names. I also remember reading that they did get the idea from star wars.

As for 200x keldor and randor, they were aware of there heritage. That's why skeletor makes all the references about randor taking things that aren't rightfully his.

IMO the star wars link was a lot less obvious in 200x. There was no she ra (yet) and keldor didn't actually work for hordak where darth vader was working for palpatine. It's just an unholy deal he made to save his own life. We don't even know how he got to know of hordaks sanctuary.

I can also see why people like their badguy being shrouded in mystery, but I think in this case myp did a very good job in giving the character and the story line more depth.
    If anything I would have liked if they did more if this and if they didn't tale the old continuity into acount as much as they did. Thundercats is throwing everything out if the window and I love it. It makes for a really interesting and mature show, motu could have been like that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistico View Post
    Well, originally (this is according to the minicomics & Filmation "Bible"), Skeletor was a planet hopper, conquering planets one at a time with his magic and...well, less-than-charismatic...personality (later on, Hordak & the Horde take on this role). Specifically, he was from the planet Infinita (which the MOTUC has turned into a dimension that Trap Jaw is now from and Scareglow was banished to). That is, until he plopped himself on Eternia. There, he found that Castle Grayskull housed all the power in the universe that he could want & decided he would take that for himself (which would make conquering the universe a snap...literally!). The Goddess intervened by asking He-Man (then just a barbarian, jungle man who's people fought against Beast Man's people on occasion) to protect the Sword of Power--the key to opening Grayskull that had been split into two halves in case something like this ever happened. She gave him the chest harness (which amplified his strength, helped his agility, and sometimes defied gravity--depending on the story), battle axe, and shield. Skeletor did not like this opposition, and instead of just giving up & moving onto the next planet, he decided that the power of Grayskull would be his & he was going to stay until he made it so. So he set up Snake Mountain, told all Eternian villains they were under his command (if they defied him, he would remind them why he was their leader), and continued to wage war against He-Man and the rest of the Masters.

Much as I loved the bungler Skeletor in the cartoons as a kid, I also like the fact that he was originally a much more ruthless creature with no known origin other than being from Infinita. Makes him seem that much more of a bad guy with inadaquate minions rather than himself being one of the reasons he can't gain what he wants.

With Keldor (now onto 200x), he was an alchemist who also practiced magic (or Magick). Hordak found him, enticed him with more power, gave him magic & told him where to look for more (why else would he have been invading Zalesia where he met Evil-Lyn if not to look for magic artifacts or books?). The Filmation Skeletor was more magical with firing bolts of energy from his fingertips or waving open a dimensional portal, than the Jetlag (NAHM) or 200x who seemed only to have magic in his staff (he could call it to his hand, but didn't cast very many spells without it). Being half-elven (Gar), he has a better ability to learn magic than a human would. He and Randor are also only half-brothers (same father, different mothers), although I've read that they were unaware they were related in this series.

As far as the Star Wars thing goes, Vader and Luke were no more related than I am to a rock until Lucas decided to put that plot twist in after making the first movie (3 years later). Looking at the original story for what came to be "A New Hope" (the only SW book Lucas ever wrote; the rest were written by others from his screen plays), there was no family liniage. No Luke & Leia or Vader being fomerly Anakin. Looking at stories and comics that came between Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, there was no more Skywalker family. His uncle and aunt had been it.

For a correlation, this is the same thing that happened in the MOTU. Keldor was Randor's long lost brother that was mentioned in one of the last minicomics, "The Search for Keldor", but it was never stated that Skeletor was Keldor reformed. He just said that them (the Masters) knowing what happened to Keldor could destroy him. Maybe (if the original line had continued) it could have gone this way instead: Keldor had accidentally created Skeletor when messing with chemicals or magic that he shouldn't have, and his creation had killed him (like Frankenstein) or sent him to another dimension (like the Enchantress who spirited away King Miro). If they found Keldor in another dimension (or contacted his spirit), he could tell them how to undo what he had done (Skeletor). Just a fun possibility.
    Last edited by Neo; August 30, 2011 at 08:38am.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Others have made great points before me already.

Here are couple things I want to note:

Demo-Man was never part of 2002 stories. Not in Cartoon or Comic.
    (that belongs only to MOTUC bios written after 2008)

Keldor did use magic. See "Icons of Evil: Beast Man" comic, where Keldor recruits Beast Man.

Randor & Keldor relevance in 2002 cartoon: Keldor was first-born and thus has a grudge against Randor for getting the throne to Eternia.

Widget
    @Jukka
    Yes maybe in the comics he used magic, but never in the cartoon (as Keldor)

and thats kind of a over used plot point, I mean there is plenty of people in fiction and real life who attempted world domination that weren't related to their opposition. It happens

Whats the point of Skeletor being related to He-Man, It's not like Skeletor wants him to join him or anything, He wants what He-Man has. He's a barrier to him, he wants him dead

I just never understood 1. why they decided to have them related in the first place and 2. Why it such a faverd idea

Here's remix of clips from the 200X version:

http://he-man.us/biographies/2002SkeletorOrigin.html

Pretty cool, check it out.

The familial relationship between antagonist/protagonist is in common with Star Wars, but it's also in common with Greek/Roman/Biblical/Norse/Native American/Egyptian/Japanese mythology/folklore. It's part of the epic hero story. It's a cornerstone of most epic tales going back thousands of years. So it's a stretch to say that it's the exclusive domain of on '70s film because that's fresher in our collective conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by whbinder View Post
    The familial relationship between antagonist/protagonist is in common with Star Wars, but it's also in common with Greek/Roman/Biblical/Norse/Native American/Egyptian/Japanese mythology/folklore. It's part of the epic hero story. It's a cornerstone of most epic tales going back thousands of years. So it's a stretch to say that it's the exclusive domain of on '70s film because that's fresher in our collective conscience.
    well said.

Quote Originally Posted by WhipTastic View Post
    Whats the point of Skeletor being related to He-Man, It's not like Skeletor wants him to join him or anything, He wants what He-Man has. He's a barrier to him, he wants him dead

I just never understood 1. why they decided to have them related in the first place and 2. Why it such a faverd idea
    The fact that he-man is related to keldor isn't that important. It does however add a bit of irony to their relation to one and other. Keldors being randors brother is very important because it gives skeletor a more valid reason for wanting to rule eternia. It is rightfully his.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Ok. I never knew they had confirmed it since I hadn't ever read anything beyond The Search for Keldor (for anything Keldor-related), which to me, left it a question. It wouldn't surprise me they'd want to use the idea of a massive money maker (I myself never saw the correlation). If it worked for SW, they probably hoped they'd get the same $$$ results.

I'd just read they weren't aware of their heritage in 200x (that's what I get from reading "hearsay" pages instead of the .org). But I guess that 20-something adults would have figured it out after a while (if Miro or their mothers hadn't told them already). Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    That's pretty accurate save for two things. In the vintage line it was actually confirmed that keldor was in fact skeletor. That's why they had the similar sounding names. I also remember reading that they did get the idea from star wars.

As for 200x keldor and randor, they were aware of there heritage. That's why skeletor makes all the references about randor taking things that aren't rightfully his.

IMO the star wars link was a lot less obvious in 200x. There was no she ra (yet) and keldor didn't actually work for hordak where darth vader was working for palpatine. It's just an unholy deal he made to save his own life. We don't even know how he got to know of hordaks sanctuary.
    From my youth and hometown when I was a kid...He-Matt and the Masters of the Kunaverse!

My feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=214152
    My customs thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=215292
    My B/S/T thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ings-For-Sale!

Heroic Warrior
    Sup everyone, I'm kind of new....I made this account a while ago, but only used it once, so whats up again

I've always thought that not only the 2002 cartoon kind of ruined Skeletors origin for me, apparently MOTUC bios (which I feel are so random, lol) followed suit with the cartoons bio. I'll explain

-Randor and Keldor being brothers: Whenever the protagonist and antagonist are related, It's just Star Wars all over again for me (not to mention He-Man and She-ra being twins of power/destiny)I know this came back from the minicomic days or something, but, I have never seen the relevance in them being related, unlike Star Wars, where Luke and Vaders relationship was a driving point of the films

-Keldor being turned into Skeletor by Hordak: again, invokes Star Wars. The Emperor took a battered Anakin...made him Vader...whatever. I was always kind of hoping Skeletor would follow more of a tragic villain background, like he made himself into Skeletor by using a spell in which he did not fully comprehend or a backfired spell he used to save his own life something of that effect. I still think him being Hordaks pupil was OK. In the most likely probability Skeletor had planned to usurp him. I never liked the fact that he was "created"

-Keldor was not a magic user: apparently in the 2002 toon, primarily in flashback episodes, he never used magic...just sword fighting skills. He even states to Evil-Lyn at some point "Use YOUR magic". Again thought this made Keldor kind of lame. I wish he would have already been a warlock of some power and his transformation to Skeletor would have increased his abilities with loss of his sanity and emotions and senses. A common trade well known villains make the "pound of flesh" reference comes to mind

So thats something that keeps me up at night (not really) Just thought I'd share being you guys probably know this stuff better than I do

I dunno i thought it was an excellent origin for Skeletor as we never got to know how is he a boneface

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    Here's remix of clips from the 200X version:

http://he-man.us/biographies/2002SkeletorOrigin.html

Pretty cool, check it out.
    Ah thanks man, now I can sleep with a smile on my face from that fix of MOTU Lol. I love that Adam is Skeletors nephew for some reason. Just adds to the story in my mind. Anyways, of to go check out my Moss Man I got today from ebay. He is very spiffy.

Widget

I thought the problem with it in the 2002 series is that it turns Skeletor into King Randor's archenemy rather than He-Man's. Skeletor really has no personal axe to grind with He-Man beyond the fact that he's an obstacle to his goal of overthrowing Randor. Then again, so are Ram-Man and Meckaneck. It diminishes He-Man to me.

I'm not opposed Skeletor being He-Man's uncle, but Randor needs to be out of the picture for it to work. The Justin Marks movie script from a while back wisely had Skeletor kill Randor early in the first act, and I think that's a smart way to create a more direct grudge between He-Man and Skeletor.

I did like the old angle of Skeletor being a warlord from the planet Infinita, though. I'm surprised Mattel hasn't explored Infinita in their bios.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Blun-Dar View Post
    I did like the old angle of Skeletor being a warlord from the planet Infinita, though. I'm surprised Mattel hasn't explored Infinita in their bios.
    They did mention Infinita. But as a dimension, not as a planet.

Scareglow - Evil Ghost Serving Skeletor

In life, Nul was a shifty bounty hunter who spent years attempting to break into Castle Grayskull, obsessed with legends that within lay the power to become Master of the Universe. In death, he was cursed and banished into the dimension of Infinita - forever chained to his past crimes. He was brought back to Eternia by a magical spell cast by Skeletor to locate the most evil warriors in the five dimensions. Provided with a Scythe of Doom, Nul agreed to join forces with Skeletor and quickly became known as “Scareglow” due to his ability to burst forth and freeze enemies with fright.

---------------------------------------------------------
    Trap Jaw - Evil and Armed for Combat

An insane criminal from the dimension of Infinita, Kronis was one of several evil warriors freed from an intergalactic prison by Keldor to holster his ranks during the start of the Great Unrest. After serving Keldor for years, Kronis grew ambitious and raised an army of his own to challenge his master. Now a powerful Overlord of Evil, Skeletor defeated Kronis breaking his jaw and arm and leaving him for dead. Found and rebuilt by Tri-Klops, Kronis was transformed by him into Trap Jaw, a man armed with combat weapons and an “iron jaw!”

He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

I see what folks are saying about Randor being more skeletors enemy, but i think one of the themes of MYP was to grow the story, it takes skeletor a few episodes to realise the focus point for the masters is Greyskull. its natural progression. I liked it. it felt honest and made the story feel more epic. Same thing with He-man and skeletors rivalery. and had the story progressed romor is randor would be removed giving He-man a personal vendetta against skeletor most likely.

I dont care for there being a race of skeletors lol, they didn't ever even hint that randor and keldor were brothers in the cartoon did they?

I've never cared to think of Skeletor and Randor as brothers. One of them is blue skinned, and if 'The Gar' are a blue skinned race as orgers have seemed to explain it, if anything, they would not be direct blood. Besides, Skeletor was a subordinate and student of Hordak in the Filmation toon. This is not that much of a stretch.

For me, the 200X origin of Skeletor from Keldor works. I'm accepting of the creative decesion, knowing where the story was planned to go, and making up my own stories and scenarios along the way.

There are so many similar elements to stories, and fantasy in general. You are not the first person to make the Star Wars/MOTU comparison, and you won't be the last, however there is plenty of room.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Who cares, this series gave a superior storyline to everyone. Keldor is a much better concept that some stupid Demo-Man bs.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Who cares, this series gave a superior storyline to everyone. Keldor is a much better concept that some stupid Demo-Man bs.
    Hahaha! TOTALLY agree.

I also think that whatever Keldor/Skeletor's vendetta was with Captain/King Randor, it's been replaced by having He-Man the defender of Eternia. That could EASILY happen with anyone. You hate someone or something, and eventually end up hating someone or something totally different because they've stood in the way to your goal.

Personally, I prefer the 200x canon to any other origin for Skeletor.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    True but at least it kinda makes sense the Hordak bonded him with someone you just never knew how he did it...

Widget

The Origin of Skeletor?

How did Keldor become Skeletor?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by LordSkeletorEvil View Post
    How did Keldor become Skeletor?

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Hey cool that's the video I put together. (I used to be 3wpages)

Someday I'll make a better version.