Thread: Origin Of She-Ra (FULL Panel) Power-Con Video

Origin Of She-Ra (FULL Panel) Power-Con Video

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I'm glad someone posted this, because I ended up missing the panel. There was a lot of interesting stuff in it. I wish she didn't hold back on some of the material, but I suppose that is smart business for her.

It's also a good strategy for helping drum up interest in another Power Con.

I haven't finished the video yet but at halfway through, it's really interesting. That first sketch of She-Ra for Mattel looks so much like Teela with new accessories.

And the stag! Never guessed that there would have been a different beast in mind.

Catra looks so 80s!!

This is really cool. Can anyone help me understand what she was saying about Bow's heart and arm around 25 minutes in? I've listened to it 4 to 6 times and I still don't get it. I understand about how her mother was abusive, but how exactly did her father inspire the heart and arm?
    Last edited by McHorde-Trooper; July 6, 2016 at 09:04pm.

This was wonderful to watch! Thank you so much for posting this Tallstar
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McHorde-Trooper View Post
    This is really cool. Can anyone help me understand what she was saying about Bow's heart and arm around 25 minutes in? I've listened to it 4 to 6 times and I still don't get it. I understand about how her mother was abusive, but how exactly did her father inspire the heart and arm?
    I think she was saying that sometimes you cant tell how powerful someones heart is, so Bow has a transparent chest so you can see his heroism from the inside out.

I would definitely have asked her about robotech.
    Definitely.

Because her father never showed his heart to her by putting his hand up to protect his child from her mother's abuse. So she gave bow a fake hand that would do what it needed too and a heart you could actually see. Powerful stuff!
    Last edited by Angel-T; July 8, 2016 at 06:58am.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flutterina View Post
    This was wonderful to watch! Thank you so much for posting this Tallstar
    No problemo. I'm always excited to spread the POP gospel.

Anyhoo. I'm glad it's finally clear as to which department She-Ra originated in. For the longest time I thought it had to be Boys Toys because the subliminal seed was planted in my mind after reading Roger Sweet's comment about POP being snatched away. So, when Chris McAdam explained in one of my interviews that She-Ra originated in "New Business Concepts" (which was Mattel's new name for Prelim around 1983 or 1984), I assumed that meant Boys Prelim rather than Barbie Prelim.

It's also cool to hear about the genesis of the Crystal Castle and to be able to put the pieces together. From my understanding of what she explained, the castle shown in the U-Matics video is loosely based on her original drawing and the one that Aldo Favilli's team completed after Justine passed on re-sculpting it in front of everyone. "Eagle Mountain" then turned into more of a traditional castle after Mattel tested it with mothers and young girls and found that they weren't digging the bird's beak action feature. (according to a late 80's book I have)
    Last edited by Tallstar; July 8, 2016 at 09:12am.

Lots of interesting info and images in this panel, though she did get a bit deep and personal for a power con but lovely to hear the story behind the figures and to learn about their original looks, explains the differences between toy and cartoon now.
    I like the 'edgy' She-Ra. Would have loved Nobel the stag, such a pity corporations view girls toys so narrowly and demand it always be pink and ponies. The original concept looked very close to the more barbarian Golden Girl line from Galoob which I also loved.

I would love to hear more on why that first Mattel sketch looked so much like Teela. I wonder if any kind of parts re-use was considered.

When I was a kid, before I was allowed to have a She-ra figure, I pretended Teela was She-ra, so it's a little funny now to see that sketch where She-ra basically was Teela with some accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan182 View Post
    I would love to hear more on why that first Mattel sketch looked so much like Teela. I wonder if any kind of parts re-use was considered.

When I was a kid, before I was allowed to have a She-ra figure, I pretended Teela was She-ra, so it's a little funny now to see that sketch where She-ra basically was Teela with some accessories.
    In the video she said that version of She-Ra was marketing directed, so yeah, I'm guessing they were going for cost effectiveness (new rooted hair head on Teela's body with a few different/tweaked accessories) and probably familiarly to help ensure high sales / "velocity". hehe

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan182 View Post

The Barbie Preliminary team noted that 45% of the audience of the He-Man cartoon was female, and that the Teela character in particular "had velocity" based on the sales of her figure. That inspired them to do a female-centered spin-off of Masters of the Universe. It was originally going to star Teela, but it was quickly decided to make the lead a different character. Early on, the lead was going to be He-Man's girlfriend, and she was his girlfriend when she was Teela. But when the lead became a different character, they made her his sister, because it was already established that Teela was his girlfriend.

Justine's T-Shirt designs.

Thanks Angel-T. I understand it now.

Thank you so much for posting this Tallstar! I really enjoyed getting to see it. I hope she will be a future Power Con with the second set of images!!!