Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tron: Uprising Talkback

I only watched half. I think I'll wait until I can see it in HD. But what I saw I thought was AMAZING. Loved the animation and so far the story is pretty interesting too. They really seemed to have put a lot of work into it. I hope it catches on!
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

I like it too: animation, music, and story. What I didn't like was some of the artistic license they took VS. TRON: Legacy; e.g., there was never a white suit Tron in TL.
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    I like it too: animation, music, and story. What I didn't like was some of the artistic license they took VS. TRON: Legacy; e.g., there was never a white suit Tron in TL.

The white suit is TRON's original uniform that he had worn from the ORIGINAL 1980's "TRON" film.

If anything that white "suit" he had on would be his original "code" for his program from the old ENCOM system and it will always be a part of him. FLYNN just updated him with a new version of the code for his new personal system in the basement of the FLYNN arcade so that he could function properly in the new/different system!
    Last edited by Replikor; May 15, 2012 at 09:57am.

Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post
    http://www.tron-sector.com/icons/Carrier.gif

The white suit is TRON's original uniform that he had worn from the ORIGINAL 1980's "TRON" film.

No artistic liscence was taken at all. If anything that white "suit" he had on would be his original "code" for his program from the old ENCOM system and it will always be a part of him. FLYNN just updated him with a new version of the code for his new personal system in the basement of the FLYNN arcade so that he could function properly in the new/different system!
    There was artistic license. Watch TL and then the episode again. The retold scene from Tron Legacy had Tron in a white suit. Tron never wore a white suit in TL.

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

There was artistic license. Watch TL and then the episode again. The retold scene from Tron Legacy had Tron in a white suit. Tron never wore a white suit in TL.
    yes... I know! I know that he DID NOT wear the white suit in Tron Legacy. But his suit was also still the black BUT with the TRON design which was also different. If you notice the Rinzler uniform doesn't even have the TRON design [at the moment] if you notice the center of the chest on the black uniform. So I expect a code merging which will make him look fully like Rinzler from Tron Legacy later.
    But his White suit is a direct reference to his original code version of himself from the older ENCOM system.

yes... I know! I know that he DID NOT wear the white suit in Tron Legacy. But his suit was also still the black BUT with the TRON design which was also different. If you notice the Rinzler uniform doesn't even have the TRON design [at the moment] if you notice the center of the chest on the black uniform. So I expect a code merging which will make him look fully like Rinzler from Tron Legacy later.
    But his White suit is a direct reference to his original code version of himself from the older ENCOM system.
    Therefore, they took artistic license.

Therefore, they took artistic license.
    You pretty much HAVE to accept that they will do stuff like that to expand a series if they didnt originally intend anything beyond a single final movie for the TRON series.
    ...an lets face it Tron Legacy sucked so bad an had so many MULTIPLE plot holes that it almost totally ruined that movie.
    Frankly I am SUPER glad that they made some changes to try an salvage that terrible script... and even make it into something that could be expanded upon to give us something more from the TRON universe.
    Last edited by Replikor; May 14, 2012 at 09:38pm.

Just noticed the first episode is available on iTunes right now! It's free, and it's HD. So NOW I can watch the whole thing!

You pretty much HAVE to accept that they will do stuff like that to expand a series if they didnt originally intend anything beyond a single final movie for the TRON series.
    ...an lets face it Tron Legacy sucked so bad an had so many MULTIPLE plot holes that it almost totally ruined that movie.
    Frankly I am SUPER glad that they made some changes to try an salvage that terrible script... and even make it into something that could be expanded upon to give us something more from the TRON universe.
    I did accept it and said I didn't like it. You said they didn't do it. I think you need to accept that they made changes.

And no, I didn't think TL sucked. I thought it was phenomenal.

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    I'm pretty happy with this first episode! I hated how the Legacy movie made Tron an afterthought, so this series is already starting out well ahead of the game.

One thing I want to see are the various games that existed in the first movie, like the tanks and the speed racers and that weird ball thing where if it touched the ground it removed a section of the floor. Hopefully this series brings those concepts back in a well defined fashion. I also want to see a return to blue and red colors! This orange and teal/white irks the hell outta me =/

I did accept it and said I didn't like it. You said they didn't do it. I think you need to accept that they made changes.

And no, I didn't think TL sucked. I thought it was phenomenal.
    Well I will agree with ya ehenyo, that visually it was a VERY good movie... but the script... it flat out hurt at times... 2 major points I can think of just off the top of my head...

1. clu has spent [20 of our years... who know how many hundreds of there years in the computer]... to track an find flynn.
    Sam comes in, flynn's son.. the perfect bait to draw flynn out.. whats the first thing CLU does?... he completely tries to kill him in a lethal lightcycle match... idiotic....Clu had NO WAY of knowing that someone could or even WOULD save sam... totally stupid thing to have Clu do.

2. Sam escapes with kora into the outlands [a terrain that they use to there advantage and kora even says that their vehicles cant follow]... so we have to assume later then that flynn an kora have been using that to there advantage for X number of their years to hide in the outlands.
    Ok.
    So fast forward to when sam steals flynns lightcycle an they track it back to flynn's base... whats the first thing they do?.... they go straight tto flynns base... omg... fail.

But beyond the script holes... I did enjoy TRON Legacy... and still do.

Its good, but its not classic TRON good...

Wow, wow, wow, wow! I finally completed the first episode (in HD, thanks to the free iTunes download) and I'm really impressed. The series looks beautiful in HD. They really captured the feel of the movie. I like the stylized look of the programs in it. It seems to just work really well with the whole look of the Grid. The rail train was awesome-looking too along with the sort light-quad-bike. I loved that the music was either lifted from the score or used it as heavy inspiration. I'm intrigued to see where the series takes us.

I'm most intrigued about the status of Tron. We find out he's severely scarred... but he's clearly Rinzler in some fashion too... so how is he somehow trapped within Rinzler? Is what Beck sees real? Where is that little hideout? And how does Tron get wiped away?

I really liked Paige and Tessler. Two great villains. I loved Tesslers crazy hand weapons. It was a novel use of the tech. I have to give major credit to the sound design too. It really helped sell the action.

Pretty cool first episode. I had to get used the stylized anatomy, but it has terrific effects and at the moment it's a better Spider-Man cartoon than the Ultimate Spider-Man show. I also really liked the villains here. There's something impossibly geeky about Frodo and Bishop fighting like Aeon Flux/Animatrix characters in a digital cityscape. Sad to know there's only 10 episodes and this is already being called a miniseries.

One quibble though, the first act showed how determined Beck was to fight the system. Then as soon as he's asked to do just that he's all "hey, not me, man, you got the wrong guy." WTH?! There had to be another way to keep him from being "the next Tron" until the end of the episode than to have him flipflop like that. It felt like they wrote two different birth of a superhero arcs for Beck and then used both of them.

I did think it was a little strange at first, but I think it was the difference between him showing bravado before an enemy and being asked to head a revolution by his hero.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I did think it was a little strange at first, but I think it was the difference between him showing bravado before an enemy and being asked to head a revolution by his hero.
    Good point. I too thought it was odd for him to fli flop, but your explanation makes perfect sense.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    So I just watched the first episode and I have some mixed feelings with it. First, the animation is excellent. It was well done, and really captures the Tron world. Secondly, the music was fantastic and sounds just like it did in the movie, which is something I was surprised at. Not to mention the sound effects were incredible. Third, the designs are great and unique, it isn't just the same designs we see all of the time, which is nice. Fourth, the voice acting was just fantastic. I absolutely love that Lance Henrikson does the voice of one of the main villians, because that is just awesome. It is a shame though that Jeff Bridges is not reprising the voice of Clu. Finally, I still want Clu's jacket!!!!

However, there are also just as many negatives. The first negative I had was the pacing. No, it was well done, but there was way too much action in it and not enough plot. It was like they needed to shove every little vehicle type there is in this world down our throats without any breathing room, which is fine in a movie, but not in a tv series. It felt like they crammed three episodes worth of content into 30 minutes. Secondly though, you know exactly where the show is going to go given it takes place before Legacy. That kind of ruins the suspense because in the end, Clu is going to beat Beck no matter what. Finally, and my biggest gripe is with Beck himself. He was acting like a total badass, with this top notch personality, taking charge, saying he is going to do this even if it costs him his life. Next scene, he is suddenly whimpering, saying he doesn't want to do it because he isn't like that. That completely contradicts and ruined the strong scene before it and is where the show really lost the most points for me. That is like having Bruce spend all of this money on getting Batman gear, do all of this training, take on bad guys while he makes his costume, makes the costume, and then changes his mind after wearing it. It just ruined his character for me. Oh, and the show needs more Zeus, because I love Zeus, and he was not anywhere present in this episode.

Overall though, for the most part, it was really impressive and I do want to see more. Are they going to be streaming every episode online or was this a one time deal?
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Well, I already addressed why I don't think his change of heart was an issue and actually made sense.

As for the pacing, you have to remember they are trying to get kids excited about this. I actually think we got quite a lot of good character development in. I thought it was great that the energy and pacing was up for this. You have to remember this was basically a "pilot" for the series. Unlike a movie, they've got the rest of the season to develop the plot.

Also, another point... I seem to remember when Uprising was first announced that this was actually created to be a series of short 3-4 minute mini-episodes they'd play to hype up the series before going into the more standard format of the series. Instead, they decided to strip them altogether into a 30 minute special. So that might also account for the pace. As you're watching it, you can actually sense the built-in "cliffhangers" (or builds in action) where the original breaks were supposed to happen.

I enjoyed the first episode. The animation is hit & miss for me. I like the backgrounds, but I am not too crazy about how the characters look.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    I really enjoyed the first episode. I think the animationa nd character designs are really cool, and the music and sound effects were just awesome!

I love that Tron was wearing white, and that there is still a little of him inside of Rinzler. I'm curious to see what changes, though. How does he fully get lost in Rinzler as we see him in TL?

Also, I loved TL. I just wanted to throw that out there since there was some debate about it above.

Any word on when the next episode airs?
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

I finally got to watch the online episode and I have to say that I am quite pleased. Looks like this will be a good show. I've already programmed it on my TiVo!
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

Now that I've seen the first two episodes, I can say that I am definitely impressed with this show. I can hardly wait for the next episode! The animation is great and the music is excellent (keeps with the Daft Punk style heard in Tron: Legacy). I'm glad I watched the online episode because the story would not have made sense without it.
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

Crap, I need to head over to the bay to get the second episode because that premiered last week, right?
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Crap, I need to head over to the bay to get the second episode because that premiered last week, right?
    They're up on YouTube.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

Quote Originally Posted by adol View Post
    They're up on YouTube.
    Youtube doesn't work right on my tv. Everything is so pixelated and grainy.

Anyway, I already watched the first episode a few weeks back when Disney put it up, so I only need to see episode 2.

Watched last week's episode "Blackout" - man I really like this series! Part of me almost wouldn't mind if we don't get another movie sequel if they kept the cartoon going. I like the characters. The interaction between Paige and Beck is fun. It's funny because a lot of the themes and stories here are pretty well-worn, especially in super hero cartoons and in comics. But the visualization is so amazing, the voice work top-notch and the characters are genuinely relatable. So I don't mind if it feels a bit familiar in some ways.

----

Edit: Sad more people aren't talking about this excellent show!

Watched the episode "Identity" and continue to be impressed with how great the show is. Not only is it beautiful to look at, but the character work here is really solid.

I enjoyed travelling to a different locale in Pergos. It was cool to see what a run-down part of the grid looks like.

The lightcycle sequence where Beck jumps, crashes through a building and then keeps going was very cool. Lux was a great new character to add to the mix, and they did a good job of sketching her out in a short appearance.

I enjoyed the Zed/Mara sequence though I hope that's not totally the end of the subplot of Zed possibly joining Paige's task force. It's an interesting thing that could keep going, I think. Even if Zed thought the gun was too much, it doesn't mean he has to like what the Renegade is doing.

Also really enjoyed that Tron and Beck's relationship evolved some too.

------

"Isolated" was a great episode! Probably one of the best so far. I loved the look into Paige's background.

Plus, Quorra!
    It was great to see her show up. But this was very much Paige's episode. Of course, they clearly want us to root for her to come around to the side of the angels eventually. It worked on me.

Her background as a medic and a wanna-be musician was certainly interesting! And as usual the design and animation was nothing short of gorgeous.

This show continues to impress. I wish it seemed like more people were watching!