Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New QC issue... Photog lens cracks?

New QC issue... Photog lens cracks?

Hey all...

Just got in our Photogs. 3 out of the 4 we looked at have cracks in the inner lens piece. The crack is more noticeable when you extend the lens, but is still visible even when the lens is retracted. We spotted it first on the one we opened, but could see the crack on 2 sealed ones as well. When retracted, the crack looks like a vertical line running up one side of the lens, but when removed from the package and extended, it looks like this-

I at first thought maybe it was just dumb luck, but with all 3 cracked ones having the crack in the same spot, I fear it might be more widespread.

It isn't a huge deal in the long run... but the one we opened with the crack does seem to have more difficulty with moving the lens in and out.

Sallah

-World's #1 Goat Man Fan- NastyNate's Avatar
    oooof, pretty bad IMHO. not good if it happened to 3 out of 4
    Goat Man is the MOTUC 2014 Traveling Con Exclusive! Im officially the happiest boy in the whole world.

Merry Christmas Everyone! MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sallah View Post
    Just got in our Photogs. 3 out of the 4 we looked at have cracks in the inner lens piece. The crack is more noticeable when you extend the lens, but is still visible even when the lens is retracted. We spotted it first on the one we opened, but could see the crack on 2 sealed ones as well.
    I at first thought maybe it was just dumb luck, but with all 3 cracked ones having the crack in the same spot, I fear it might be more widespread.

Sallah
    I got my Photog today and his lens is cracked also (along with the shield being REALLY loose on the wrist)
    In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
    Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
    Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
    In the bleak midwinter, long ago...
    ...a stable place sufficed.

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
    If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
    If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
    Yet what can I give Him?....[I can] give my heart.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Sallah View Post
    It isn't a huge deal in the long run...
    No, of course not. Having a brand new toy break for no reason isn't a big deal at all.

I'm starting to wonder if there is an issue with the factory they are using. This could possibly explain the mysterious delays.

Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    No, of course not. Having a brand new toy break for no reason isn't a big deal at all.
    Hey... I'm all for taking them to task on QC issues (I'm the guy that noticed the shoulders on Hssss). But to me this isn't quite as noticeable as the reversed shoulders, the mixed up legs on Swifty, or the crumbling Goddess.

Again though- That's just my opinion. It may be more of an issue for others.

Sallah

Court Magician Sentinelgrayskull's Avatar
    I got mine today. Two out of three are cracked. Do we return? Or live with it?

Merry Christmas Everyone! MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinelgrayskull View Post
    I got mine today. Two out of three are cracked. Do we return? Or live with it?
    I, personally, am just going to live with it.
    In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
    Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
    Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
    In the bleak midwinter, long ago...
    ...a stable place sufficed.

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
    If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
    If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
    Yet what can I give Him?....[I can] give my heart.

Heroic Warrior
    A cracked lens would actually make me angrier than reversed shoulders. Reversed shoulders is annoying, but a broken figure, especially 3 out of 4, would make me really mad.
    Positive Transactions:

As buyer: boggs32, PaTrIcKfOgArTy, Dorko2, Shecky, Shenlon (2),
    Son of Keldor

As seller: mikethedrummer, slgcmg, kngfu
    DJjoker182, bobtheodd, mahuti, FAKER II, General Hawk 7

EBay: StLouisStallions

Great, just great. I sure hope mine is OK. After almost not getting a replacement BGEL I'm almost afraid to try to return anything else for replacement....
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither

Man, I hope mine comes ok.... This really does bother me. Broken stuff is never good. Never....
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Heroic Warrior
    BAM ! Just like I told you... First, the "re-sub" fiasco, with people left wondering what to do about it (to re-sub or not to re-sub ? That's the question !). Then, the fast Fisto sellout on day of sales. Afterward, we got the news that some of the people who had re-subbed just like the mail from Matty asked them to, actually got one more sub to pay for ! Of course, there had to be shipping issues too (it has become a sad habit every month, now). an,d I had said that now, we had to find out whether people received their order with the correct amount of the items they ordered, and then the probabe QC issues.

It never fails... There HAD to be some QC with some of the figures ! We now know about Photog's lens, which is really bad for the first 30th anniversary figure (an anniversary that was SUPPOSED to celebrate MOTU !). I sure hope all Photogs won't have this problem, and that Fisto, Sorceress and Shadow Weaver won't suffer from QC issues.

Then I guess Toyguru will still wonder why we don't put any trust in his words... February 2012 was another month filled with debacles. I now wonder if we'll see any improvements in March. Right now, I'd say it's highly doubtful.

And I guess some Matty/Mattel people will pretend to be "amazed and shocked" when the 2013 sub sells even less that the current 2012 subscription.

...make it 4 out 5. Just opened the last one and it too is cracked.

Now I want to go back and check out the review samples and see if any of those were cracked too.

Sallah

Heroic Warrior
    I wonder if Nathan Bitner's Photogs were defective too...

Oh... And PLEASE note that the lens was made with TRANSPARENT plastic. Sorry to say so, but every MOTYUC item that had transparent/translucent plastic had problems so far (Goddess's explosive pelvis, Roboto's cracking torso, and now Photog's lens).

Pathetic !
    Last edited by Prahvus; February 21, 2012 at 06:31pm.

Flamboyant Etherian Rebel Chakram1701's Avatar
    Mine is still in the package and looks ok. I was going to keep him MOC, but now I'm wondering if I should open him up just to be absolutely sure he's not cracked

Damn, that is a lot worse that reversed shoulders. This is why we should not have action features in the line.

They certainly are making it hard to be a Mattel Apologist™

Of the 10 I opened at Mattel for QC check none had this issue. We have plenty in stock for exchanges if anyone has any QC problems. It is hard to catch these things is none of the samples we recieve in our QC checks are damaged.

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah... If there actually was someone from "the Company" in China to supervise these issues, maybe there'd be less quality problems, don't you think ?

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Of the 10 I opened at Mattel for QC check none had this issue. We have plenty in stock for exchanges if anyone has any QC problems. It is hard to catch these things is none of the samples we recieve in our QC checks are damaged.
    Thanks for chiming in on this Scott...

I am fearful to return mine though, since you can never tell if the one they send you will be worse than the one you send back. Plus, with the Wind Raiders, when they ran out of QC stock they didn't tell anyone and folks were stuck with refunds instead of exchanges. Is there any way a better system could be implemented for this? I know it is an unexpected issue, but it would be cool to have a better fix in place than sending it all back...

Sallah

I'm still waiting for exchanges on Demo Man. It's a SLOW process.

[crosses fingers & prays].. PLEASE let mine arrive undamaged...

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    Yeah... If there actually was someone from "the Company" in China to supervise these issues, maybe there'd be less quality problems, don't you think ?
    They are checked in HK. It is possible these were damaged in transit but I am making that up. I honestly do not know since all of the samples we recieved at Mattel to review were fine. I truly regret when anything less then perfect arrives, but you can contact CS for a replacement if you have damaged product. I really do feel your pain! Totally stinks when anything is not perfect. We work way to hard for items to arrive anything less then perfect. Kills me to see anything like this, especially when there is nothing I can do when all of the samples I reviewed were fine. But you can have CS replace damaged product. So sorry.

That's horrible. I can only hope mine and everyone else's (who hasn't received and reported this yet) are okay.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Heroic Warrior
    oh look... Photog is sold out! Just in time I'd say... Congratulations to all you lucky Photog owners!

Quote Originally Posted by Sallah:2959447
    Hey... I'm all for taking them to task on QC issues (I'm the guy that noticed the shoulders on Hssss). But to me this isn't quite as noticeable as the reversed shoulders, the mixed up legs on Swifty, or the crumbling

Sallah
    I think this is MUCH more noticeable than the shoulder issue (which, btw, didn't really bother me that much at all). I never even noticed that issue until it was pointed out by some .org members. I saw the pic of Photog up on the motuc Facebook page and without even reading the caption first I noticed the crack. The face is the first thing I check to make sure the paint apps have been applied correctly, I'm sure this holds true for most who collect this line as well. I am getting mine today. My fingers remain tightly crossed until I get home from work to open him... :/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app