Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Hunter Picked up as Series

Hybrid View

Toy Hunter Picked up as Series

Not sure if everyone saw this (didn't see anything posted) but the Travel Channel show "Toy Hunters" has been picked up as a series. If you haven't caught the pilot, check it out. It's kind of like "American Pickers" but exclusively with toys.

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front...ies_143752.asp

http://http://nerd*******s.com/2012/...-up-as-series/
    Who has the Power?

Interesting...

The first show was pretty entertaining. I'll be interested to see what they do next, since they've already hit up Tomart's and shown two of the most widely-known "so rare they're practically non-existent" toys.
    Last edited by ksensor; April 9, 2012 at 09:09am.

I enjoyed the pilot episode and will definitely watch the series. As a toy collector, I found it to be very entertaining.

I really would love to see a Pixel Dan Toy Review show on TV though!
    MOTU Vintage Visual Figure Checklist *Updated link - major thanks to motuportugal*

MOTUC from Vintage Visual Checklist *Updated link - major thanks to motuportugal*

My Feedback Thread

Quote Originally Posted by soundwavempl View Post
    I would love to see that!

If Pixel Dan has seen the pilot, I'd like to know what he thought.
    Who has the Power?

Heroic Warrior
    Enjoyed the content of the first show (always nice to see super-rare figures) but hated the host. He seemed like a douche to me. Hopefully his delivery improves.
    Positive Transactions:

As buyer: boggs32, PaTrIcKfOgArTy, Dorko2, Shecky, Shenlon (2),
    Son of Keldor

As seller: mikethedrummer, slgcmg, kngfu
    DJjoker182, bobtheodd, mahuti, FAKER II, General Hawk 7

EBay: StLouisStallions

Quote Originally Posted by Eternia Burning View Post
    Enjoyed the content of the first show (always nice to see super-rare figures) but hated the host. He seemed like a douche to me. Hopefully his delivery improves.
    No your right he is a d-bag met him at the Con and he was way too all about the dollar sign!

Amen Pixel Dan it seems like it's all about the Benji's! But Like Biggie said...Mo Money Mo Problems. I made the above statement earlier about this guy, and I know this is from my own experience with him so I can understand if anyone wants to defend him.

Sadly, I will continue to watch it to see how bad this guys low-balls both seller and prospective customers.
    Last edited by Nemisythe; April 7, 2012 at 08:27pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soundwavempl View Post

Ha! If only!

I thought the show was alright. For the most part, I think it's cool seeing a toy-related show on TV. I'm kind of surprised it actually got picked up, to be honest. I just didn't think the interest would be there.

My biggest issue with shows like this though are how they focus on the value of the toys so much. Shows like this are what make people think "Hey, I have old toys in my attic somewhere. I can sell these for like a bajillion dollars." And then becuase of that thought, more people start trying to sell stuff at ridiculous prices.

I wish we could get something that focussed more on the collecting side of things, or better yet, the histroy of specific toys and toy lines. That stuff is far more interesting to me. My favorite parts of the Toy Hunters pilot is when he's actually talking to folks who worked for Kenner, and getting to see what toys they kept from working there. That part was entertaining.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    My biggest issue with shows like this though are how they focus on the value of the toys so much. Shows like this are what make people think "Hey, I have old toys in my attic somewhere. I can sell these for like a bajillion dollars." And then becuase of that thought, more people start trying to sell stuff at ridiculous prices.

I wish we could get something that focussed more on the collecting side of things, or better yet, the histroy of specific toys and toy lines. That stuff is far more interesting to me. My favorite parts of the Toy Hunters pilot is when he's actually talking to folks who worked for Kenner, and getting to see what toys they kept from working there. That part was entertaining.
    I share your issues, the minute I found out about the show I said "great now its going to be even harder to get toys we grew up with because people will think everything they have is worth hundreds/thousands"

eBay is already a wasteland of vastly overpriced items and now I have noticed more and more comic book shops are carrying old toys and continuing the trend of high values.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    Ha! If only!

I thought the show was alright. For the most part, I think it's cool seeing a toy-related show on TV. I'm kind of surprised it actually got picked up, to be honest. I just didn't think the interest would be there.

I totally agree.It's going to make it tough for the real collectors to find toys out there now other than Ebay.Every Tom,D@$# and Harry that sees this show is going to be out now looking to buy toys to make coin thus it making it harder for the real collectors to find them and buy them without inflated prices.
    ICER
    Your friendly neighborhood org member!

Toy Hunters TV show

Anyone seen the show Toy Hunters on Travel channel? I haven't yet but just heard about it. From what I hear it's like the show American Pickers but about rare toys. If you have seen it what was you thoughts on it?
    Get words of wisdom from the man that is prefect, He-man! https://twitter.com/HeManWisdoms
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

The show is bad...Guy is low balling people to make money at "Comic Con"

Avoid

HD figures on youtube
    Agree. Saw a episode and it just ****** me off. All he cares about is making money from toys and thats it.

Interesting. I an only assume they are trying to be like American Pickers. Are the toys old? Like 1860s? Or are they all from the 1980s?
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

HD figures on youtube
    The episode i saw was 1960s-1980s toys.

so thats jordan from hollywood heroes..

now where is the footage when he sees / locates rare MOTU items
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

The host will post on the vintage star wars board at rebelscum. I wonder if he comes here
    Get words of wisdom from the man that is prefect, He-man! https://twitter.com/HeManWisdoms

Quote Originally Posted by sithjedi171 View Post
    What the heck day does Toy Hunters come on? I have not been able to find it on my guide.
    I just checked the Travel Channel's online guide - it looked like the next showing is Tuesday, April 17th at 11pm eastern.

Keep in mind that only the pilot episode has been aired, so they're just showing re-runs of it right now. The first 12 episode are currently being filmed. I don't know the date/time they'll air the new episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyGold View Post
    The host will post on the vintage star wars board at rebelscum. I wonder if he comes here
    He certainly might. Jordan's been dealing toys for 25 years, so I'm sure MOTU pops up on his radar fairly often

I saw the show tonight, I didn't realize it had been picked up for a series. I am with the rest of you that don't like how the show will raise prices because now even more idiots will think their he-man figure with the broken leg and no armor or weapons is worth 10 million dollars (kinda like when that rare Stadium Events game for NES sold for 20 grand on ebay then everyone though their copy of Mario/Duck Hunt was now worth $5000)

Anyway, they had a loose Snake Mountain on there, it looked to be in pretty bad shape and missing most of the pieces. The guy says if it was in the box it would sell instantly and then says "boxed playsets can be worth up to 500 dollars if sealed". I hate vague statements like this and this is exactly why prices go up everywhere! He didn't say which playsets and didn't really go into detail about what "sealed" even means. So now what every old woman with her kid's he-man toys in the basement is going to think is "he-man toys are worth $500! the guy on TV said so!" He never mentions that Snake Mountain and Castle Grayskull in an unsealed box in decent shape go for around $50-$60 and not $500. He ends up not even buying it because he says he only buys them if they have the box. oh well, I have a feeling a lot of people won't see this show anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiki84 View Post
    I saw the show tonight, I didn't realize it had been picked up for a series. I am with the rest of you that don't like how the show will raise prices because now even more idiots will think their he-man figure with the broken leg and no armor or weapons is worth 10 million dollars (kinda like when that rare Stadium Events game for NES sold for 20 grand on ebay then everyone though their copy of Mario/Duck Hunt was now worth $5000)

Anyway, they had a loose Snake Mountain on there, it looked to be in pretty bad shape and missing most of the pieces. The guy says if it was in the box it would sell instantly and then says "boxed playsets can be worth up to 500 dollars if sealed". I hate vague statements like this and this is exactly why prices go up everywhere! He didn't say which playsets and didn't really go into detail about what "sealed" even means. So now what every old woman with her kid's he-man toys in the basement is going to think is "he-man toys are worth $500! the guy on TV said so!" He never mentions that Snake Mountain and Castle Grayskull in an unsealed box in decent shape go for around $50-$60 and not $500. He ends up not even buying it because he says he only buys them if they have the box. oh well, I have a feeling a lot of people won't see this show anyway
    I've heard more bad things than good about this show and the host...It won't last long...

The thing with dealers n' stuff is and I think Rick from Pawn stars and the American Pickers guys said it best "All you have is your reputation." And as people who buy n sell they can't low ball people. I mean obviously they try to talk em down, but at least Rick was honest when the lady brought in a Faberge pin and isn't going after grandma for for her grandson's comic book collection.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Anybody see where he found the TF Bumblejumper & pretended he had never heard/seen it before? "I've been buying and selling Transformers for years and I've never seen this!"

Give me a break.
    Who has the Power?

Quote Originally Posted by Merman's Head View Post
    Anybody see where he found the TF Bumblejumper & pretended he had never heard/seen it before? "I've been buying and selling Transformers for years and I've never seen this!"

Give me a break.
    I believe he'd never seen it. Remember, he's not a collector; he's a seller. Plus I don't think he is the expert they try to portray him as. He called Darkseid Dark seed. I question everything he says now.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Quote Originally Posted by sportsandstuff777 View Post
    I finally caught the show and one thing I don't understand why do these people sell to this guy?? The guy with the Vintage Star Wars speeder bike in NJ. Has he not heard on eBay?? I would not be low balled on something like that.
    Thats the same episode I saw. I was like, seriously? And then he sells it to a father and son for like 1,000. Common. Are you telling me that something only has like 3 made is only going to sell for 1,000. Thats crap. I know some toys arent worth a ton, but this SW item was super rare.

I've had enough of this show.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Thats the same episode I saw. I was like, seriously? And then he sells it to a father and son for like 1,000. Common. Are you telling me that something only has like 3 made is only going to sell for 1,000. Thats crap. I know some toys arent worth a ton, but this SW item was super rare.

I've had enough of this show.
    I agree...seems very staged, he doesn't seem very knowledgable at all (Dark seed?!?!), and shows like this seem detrimental to the collecting community...well, at least this guy is!

I think I've seen all of these now...I've DVRd them and have slowly caught up. I didn't know it was out til around October I guess.

The show is scripted, obviously, but all ill say is I think it's cool to see MOTU, GIJOE, and other cool toys on my LCD screen. I mean, other than a quick movie glimpse here and there where else would I see that?
    Plus I sometimes learn a thing or 2, such as William George sneaking his signature on the MOTU Box art (which I'm guessing is true, it seems plausible.)

I do laugh when Jordan says "do you know how much I can get for this?"
    And then turns around and low balls them by more than 50%! Lol

I am sure the 'regular people' are getting some sort of compensation in addition to what Jordan is offering.

My favorite, though, is the 1 I just watched where the lady had a case of
    All kinds of 1988 TMNT and other toys.
    How did she have so many?
    "Oh, just toys I bought as gifts that never got gifted"
    Riiiiiiiight.

In the end I just love walking down memory lane a bit.