Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Hunter Picked up as Series

Toy Hunter Picked up as Series

Not sure if everyone saw this (didn't see anything posted) but the Travel Channel show "Toy Hunters" has been picked up as a series. If you haven't caught the pilot, check it out. It's kind of like "American Pickers" but exclusively with toys.

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front...ies_143752.asp

http://http://nerd*******s.com/2012/...-up-as-series/
    Who has the Power?

Interesting...

The first show was pretty entertaining. I'll be interested to see what they do next, since they've already hit up Tomart's and shown two of the most widely-known "so rare they're practically non-existent" toys.
    Last edited by ksensor; April 9, 2012 at 09:09am.

I enjoyed the pilot episode and will definitely watch the series. As a toy collector, I found it to be very entertaining.

I really would love to see a Pixel Dan Toy Review show on TV though!
    MOTU Vintage Visual Figure Checklist *Updated link - major thanks to motuportugal*

MOTUC from Vintage Visual Checklist *Updated link - major thanks to motuportugal*

My Feedback Thread

Quote Originally Posted by soundwavempl View Post
    I would love to see that!

If Pixel Dan has seen the pilot, I'd like to know what he thought.
    Who has the Power?

Heroic Warrior
    Enjoyed the content of the first show (always nice to see super-rare figures) but hated the host. He seemed like a douche to me. Hopefully his delivery improves.
    Positive Transactions:

As buyer: boggs32, PaTrIcKfOgArTy, Dorko2, Shecky, Shenlon (2),
    Son of Keldor

As seller: mikethedrummer, slgcmg, kngfu
    DJjoker182, bobtheodd, mahuti, FAKER II, General Hawk 7

EBay: StLouisStallions

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soundwavempl View Post

Ha! If only!

I thought the show was alright. For the most part, I think it's cool seeing a toy-related show on TV. I'm kind of surprised it actually got picked up, to be honest. I just didn't think the interest would be there.

My biggest issue with shows like this though are how they focus on the value of the toys so much. Shows like this are what make people think "Hey, I have old toys in my attic somewhere. I can sell these for like a bajillion dollars." And then becuase of that thought, more people start trying to sell stuff at ridiculous prices.

I wish we could get something that focussed more on the collecting side of things, or better yet, the histroy of specific toys and toy lines. That stuff is far more interesting to me. My favorite parts of the Toy Hunters pilot is when he's actually talking to folks who worked for Kenner, and getting to see what toys they kept from working there. That part was entertaining.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    My biggest issue with shows like this though are how they focus on the value of the toys so much. Shows like this are what make people think "Hey, I have old toys in my attic somewhere. I can sell these for like a bajillion dollars." And then becuase of that thought, more people start trying to sell stuff at ridiculous prices.

I wish we could get something that focussed more on the collecting side of things, or better yet, the histroy of specific toys and toy lines. That stuff is far more interesting to me. My favorite parts of the Toy Hunters pilot is when he's actually talking to folks who worked for Kenner, and getting to see what toys they kept from working there. That part was entertaining.
    I share your issues, the minute I found out about the show I said "great now its going to be even harder to get toys we grew up with because people will think everything they have is worth hundreds/thousands"

eBay is already a wasteland of vastly overpriced items and now I have noticed more and more comic book shops are carrying old toys and continuing the trend of high values.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

I give it a season. Comic Book Men seems better.
    "A Person Who Is Willing To Die For Someone Else, Has Nothing To Live For Themselves!"

~ Me ~

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=141117

Quote Originally Posted by Jobber View Post
    It is any more entertaining...And The only figure he sold for commission was the Rocket Firing Boba Fett (And The Mad Bubbler which didn't sell) everything else he bought for himself and jacked the prices up at Comic Con he even said in the open he wanted to make $20,000 at Comic Con....this year

The show (I thought) was about finding stuff and letting them know what's it's worth etc. But it seems like it's some guy going thru people's homes etc. lowballing them on an item then turning a profit at Comic Con...Just another "Look At Me" moment.....

I liked the first episode - especially when he found the Mad Bubbler. I'd put it on the DVR line-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jobber View Post
    Comic Book Men is better, I mean last nights episode if it was Toy Hunters the guys would have swindled the guy out of all his Grandmothers priceless comics and then resold them for the massive amount they are worth
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Comic Book Men is better, I mean last nights episode if it was Toy Hunters the guys would have swindled the guy out of all his Grandmothers priceless comics and then resold them for the massive amount they are worth
    QFT! Thank you Markatisu! I'm not the only guy that thinks this guy is a jerk...

Cool! No matter what we think about the show, it will be entertaining. I'm looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    Ha! If only!

I thought the show was alright. For the most part, I think it's cool seeing a toy-related show on TV. I'm kind of surprised it actually got picked up, to be honest. I just didn't think the interest would be there.

I totally agree.It's going to make it tough for the real collectors to find toys out there now other than Ebay.Every Tom,D@$# and Harry that sees this show is going to be out now looking to buy toys to make coin thus it making it harder for the real collectors to find them and buy them without inflated prices.
    ICER
    Your friendly neighborhood org member!

Always Lurking Around Son of Keldor's Avatar
    With all the crap on TV right now, this is something we can all relate to. The fact that the people that will watch the show and think they have a gold mine sucks, but the same thing happened when antique road show aired and american pickers, it will inflate the market, but eventually they will realize the prices are lower then they expected and sell for whatever they can get.

i'll have to check it out.

=)
    Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for Scorpia!!!

My Trader Feedback thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eldor+feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    that was insane the stuff that guy had, and it was good to see Walt and Mike be 100% honest with him about the best way to make $$ with his collection. hell they were honest with the people about how much they would sell it for vs how much they'd pay for the stuff. nice to see that.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Toy Hunters TV show

Anyone seen the show Toy Hunters on Travel channel? I haven't yet but just heard about it. From what I hear it's like the show American Pickers but about rare toys. If you have seen it what was you thoughts on it?
    Get words of wisdom from the man that is prefect, He-man! https://twitter.com/HeManWisdoms
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

The show is bad...Guy is low balling people to make money at "Comic Con"

Avoid

HD figures on youtube
    Agree. Saw a episode and it just ****** me off. All he cares about is making money from toys and thats it.

Interesting. I an only assume they are trying to be like American Pickers. Are the toys old? Like 1860s? Or are they all from the 1980s?
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

HD figures on youtube
    The episode i saw was 1960s-1980s toys.

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    The Thundercats stuff really didnt sit well with me. I understand maybe the sellers and buyers wanted to be on tv and make money, yeah thats part of life, but when these pieces have been hunted for years and big numbers thrown out there, and someone gets to aquire them that easy and sells em for 3 times as much kinda made me sick. Good for the buyer and seller, but these parts will most likey now be gone from public forever.
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

Heroic Warrior sportsandstuff777's Avatar
    I heard about the show but havent seen it yet
    Check out my auctions for Thundercats, MOTU,Transformers, Gi-Joe and WWE!♫

http://tinyurl.com/7cadj6b

Visit my Blog at http://2coolghouls.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BCreviews4628 View Post
    The episode i saw was 1960s-1980s toys.
    Eh, not sure I would enjoy it then. If it was old stuff I may find that more interesting, but that is personal taste.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    We actually have a thread about the show here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ht=toy+hunters

As I've said before, on one hand I like the idea of a show about toy collecting getting some main stream attention. But on the other hand, I hate how shows like this give that false impression that anyone can find old toys and make a fortune off of them. As a collector, this is annoying because it causes prices to go up on the secondary market, and it makes us all look like we're only buying toys for the money. We're not all in this hobby to make a buck.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos: