Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Hunter Picked up as Series

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Dan's right - merged the threads.
    As you were...
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Eternia Burning View Post
    Enjoyed the content of the first show (always nice to see super-rare figures) but hated the host. He seemed like a douche to me. Hopefully his delivery improves.
    No your right he is a d-bag met him at the Con and he was way too all about the dollar sign!

Amen Pixel Dan it seems like it's all about the Benji's! But Like Biggie said...Mo Money Mo Problems. I made the above statement earlier about this guy, and I know this is from my own experience with him so I can understand if anyone wants to defend him.

Sadly, I will continue to watch it to see how bad this guys low-balls both seller and prospective customers.
    Last edited by Nemisythe; April 7, 2012 at 08:27pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Heroic Warrior sportsandstuff777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    We actually have a thread about the show here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ht=toy+hunters

As I've said before, on one hand I like the idea of a show about toy collecting getting some main stream attention. But on the other hand, I hate how shows like this give that false impression that anyone can find old toys and make a fortune off of them. As a collector, this is annoying because it causes prices to go up on the secondary market, and it makes us all look like we're only buying toys for the money. We're not all in this hobby to make a buck.
    All these storage wars type shows are staged the worst one I saw was auction hunters on Spike so much BS every locker they get has stuff they make a fortune on yeah right
    Check out my auctions for Thundercats, MOTU,Transformers, Gi-Joe and WWE!♫

http://tinyurl.com/7cadj6b

Visit my Blog at http://2coolghouls.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I share your issues, the minute I found out about the show I said "great now its going to be even harder to get toys we grew up with because people will think everything they have is worth hundreds/thousands"

eBay is already a wasteland of vastly overpriced items and now I have noticed more and more comic book shops are carrying old toys and continuing the trend of high values.
    I agree with everything PD and you say here. My other thought was, "do we really needed another fake reality show?"

Reality shows are really getting worse now aren't they? I mean before when they were young and new you could kinda believe in them, but now its so obviously fake its not even funny. I saw previews for a new driving show, and its like really. You know everythign she does is set up. And then there was the duck dynisty and hello he walks into a waiters door on the preview. Again, how pathetic.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Reality shows are really getting worse now aren't they? I mean before when they were young and new you could kinda believe in them, but now its so obviously fake its not even funny. I saw previews for a new driving show, and its like really. You know everythign she does is set up. And then there was the duck dynisty and hello he walks into a waiters door on the preview. Again, how pathetic.
    I always thought reality shows were old the minute you saw in the credits... writers!

I OBEY, I OBEY!!!

My comic shop was the one on it. The owner Geoff, the guy with the rocket firing Boba Fett gave me all kinds of behind the scenes dirt. He never had it in the "mysterious back room." All that stuff was in a safe deposit box. It was just made to look like, "OH look what I've had just laying around for years!" They filmed it at like two in the morning. (Not sure why.) He'd already been in negotiations with the host before that, but then the guy started developing the show, so they held off so they could put it on the show, but the deal had already been brokered well in advance. Basically, Geoff said, "Nothing on reality tv is actually real." They're doing another episode here in Cincy, so Geoff may end up back on it.

I don't remember now, but it bugged me that the host made a few inaccurate or just wrong remarks. But it's not as bad as Comic Book Men. I loathe that show and nearly EVERYTHING they say is wrong! How can I, an ordinary, not-on-television mortal, know more about a subject than people who are making a show ABOUT said subject?!

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    I don't remember now, but it bugged me that the host made a few inaccurate or just wrong remarks. But it's not as bad as Comic Book Men. I loathe that show and nearly EVERYTHING they say is wrong! How can I, an ordinary, not-on-television mortal, know more about a subject than people who are making a show ABOUT said subject?!
    What?? Comic Book men is at least entertaining...

Sorry, I absolutely loathe it. I hate it beyond measure. And I love comics and I tend to watch a lot of reality TV. I think the ignorance of those involved just drives me insane. Don't call a Power Girl action figure a Wonder Woman statue! Don't call a Colossus statue a Wolverine action figure! How hard is that?!

For me, Comic book men is fun and waaaay less about what people bring in. I don't know about the inaccuracies you mentioned I don't recall seeing them say that, walt and Mike know about comics characters so I can't imagine them calling colossus, wolverine. but I rarely pay much attn to the fortune hunters etc. This toy hunters show, from the name it sounds like it could be fun, from what you guys say it sounds like i'd hate it.
    Last edited by krosfyah; April 8, 2012 at 06:50pm.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    For me, Comic book men is fun and waaaay less about what people bring in. I don't know about the inaccuracies you mentioned I don't recall seeing them say that, walt and Mike know about comics characters so I can't imagine them calling colossus, wolverine. but I rarely pay much attn to the fortune hunters etc. This toy hunters show, from the name it sounds like it could be fun, from what you guys say it sounds like i'd hate it.
    Trust me your would I think Comic Book men do alot of tongue in cheek stuff and do not take themselves seriously and they don't try to screw people over like the toy guy does just look at all of those comics that they could have swindled but honestly told the people what to do that's the difference...

Quote Originally Posted by Nemisythe View Post
    I always thought reality shows were old the minute you saw in the credits... writers!

I OBEY, I OBEY!!!
    I never make it to the credits

I havent' see the comic book one. Hmm. Sounds interesting. What channel is it on?
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    I never make it to the credits

I havent' see the comic book one. Hmm. Sounds interesting. What channel is it on?
    It's on AMC..................

Heroic Warrior sportsandstuff777's Avatar
    Comic Book Men isnt bad, Ive been to that store in Red Bank NJ
    Check out my auctions for Thundercats, MOTU,Transformers, Gi-Joe and WWE!♫

http://tinyurl.com/7cadj6b

Visit my Blog at http://2coolghouls.blogspot.com/

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    I don't remember now, but it bugged me that the host made a few inaccurate or just wrong remarks.
    The worst was when he claimed M.A.S.K. was the predecessor to Transformers. I couldn't believe he said that.

If I was on one of these shows, and didn't know everything I was talking about, I would probably fact check what the writers want me to say so I don't look dumb if I could.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

What the heck day does Toy Hunters come on? I have not been able to find it on my guide.
    "The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."

-Chancellor Palpatine

The host will post on the vintage star wars board at rebelscum. I wonder if he comes here
    Get words of wisdom from the man that is prefect, He-man! https://twitter.com/HeManWisdoms
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by sithjedi171 View Post
    What the heck day does Toy Hunters come on? I have not been able to find it on my guide.
    I just checked the Travel Channel's online guide - it looked like the next showing is Tuesday, April 17th at 11pm eastern.

Keep in mind that only the pilot episode has been aired, so they're just showing re-runs of it right now. The first 12 episode are currently being filmed. I don't know the date/time they'll air the new episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyGold View Post
    The host will post on the vintage star wars board at rebelscum. I wonder if he comes here
    He certainly might. Jordan's been dealing toys for 25 years, so I'm sure MOTU pops up on his radar fairly often

I saw the show tonight, I didn't realize it had been picked up for a series. I am with the rest of you that don't like how the show will raise prices because now even more idiots will think their he-man figure with the broken leg and no armor or weapons is worth 10 million dollars (kinda like when that rare Stadium Events game for NES sold for 20 grand on ebay then everyone though their copy of Mario/Duck Hunt was now worth $5000)

Anyway, they had a loose Snake Mountain on there, it looked to be in pretty bad shape and missing most of the pieces. The guy says if it was in the box it would sell instantly and then says "boxed playsets can be worth up to 500 dollars if sealed". I hate vague statements like this and this is exactly why prices go up everywhere! He didn't say which playsets and didn't really go into detail about what "sealed" even means. So now what every old woman with her kid's he-man toys in the basement is going to think is "he-man toys are worth $500! the guy on TV said so!" He never mentions that Snake Mountain and Castle Grayskull in an unsealed box in decent shape go for around $50-$60 and not $500. He ends up not even buying it because he says he only buys them if they have the box. oh well, I have a feeling a lot of people won't see this show anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiki84 View Post
    I saw the show tonight, I didn't realize it had been picked up for a series. I am with the rest of you that don't like how the show will raise prices because now even more idiots will think their he-man figure with the broken leg and no armor or weapons is worth 10 million dollars (kinda like when that rare Stadium Events game for NES sold for 20 grand on ebay then everyone though their copy of Mario/Duck Hunt was now worth $5000)

Anyway, they had a loose Snake Mountain on there, it looked to be in pretty bad shape and missing most of the pieces. The guy says if it was in the box it would sell instantly and then says "boxed playsets can be worth up to 500 dollars if sealed". I hate vague statements like this and this is exactly why prices go up everywhere! He didn't say which playsets and didn't really go into detail about what "sealed" even means. So now what every old woman with her kid's he-man toys in the basement is going to think is "he-man toys are worth $500! the guy on TV said so!" He never mentions that Snake Mountain and Castle Grayskull in an unsealed box in decent shape go for around $50-$60 and not $500. He ends up not even buying it because he says he only buys them if they have the box. oh well, I have a feeling a lot of people won't see this show anyway
    I've heard more bad things than good about this show and the host...It won't last long...

The thing with dealers n' stuff is and I think Rick from Pawn stars and the American Pickers guys said it best "All you have is your reputation." And as people who buy n sell they can't low ball people. I mean obviously they try to talk em down, but at least Rick was honest when the lady brought in a Faberge pin and isn't going after grandma for for her grandson's comic book collection.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

so thats jordan from hollywood heroes..

now where is the footage when he sees / locates rare MOTU items
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

Heroic Warrior
    I actually like Toy Hunters, Collectors Intervention, and Comic Book Men (please tell me this one is coming back). I missed last night's episode. Hopefully I'll see it.

I watched a couple episodes last night and think they could improve it BIG TIME if they change a couple things about the format:

The host is pretty annoying, but he gets reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally annoying when he pulls out a Super-Powers toy and gives the history of Super-Powers to the guy WHO OWNS A TOY SHOP. Now, if he's doing that to get the information about a certain toy out to the audience, then that's great, because not everyone knows about Super-Powers, much like I found it helpful when he described the old Rembrandt toy. Instead of him telling it to the person he's buying from, they should have him do a voice-over with that information while showing shots of him looking at the toy...or maybe do a 'confessional' type of shot where he's looking into the camera while saying it cuz that way he's informing the audience instead of lecturing the owner, who obviously knows what they have.

Second, they need to take a lesson from Storage Wars, the only reality show I've ever watched and freaking LOVE. They show the guys buy the storage locker contents, and then at the end of the show they tally up what they ended up making once they ACTUALLY sold what they found in that episode. Yes, this will take more time to produce the show, but a a better product usually takes longer to make. The way it is now just makes him look like he's running off and saying "HAHAHAHA SUCKERS!!!!"

I hope they do those things or somehow tone him down cuz I really did enjoy the rest of the show and seeing so many rare and old toys--it was like having comic-con come into my living room!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Filmation fan & proud redsquadron's Avatar
    Even if it is about something I enjoy, at the end of the day it's just more lame reality/docu-soap cheapo trash. Not interested.
    I survived the 2013 sub ordeal!
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)