Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Hunter Picked up as Series

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    I watched a couple episodes last night and think they could improve it BIG TIME if they change a couple things about the format:

The host is pretty annoying, but he gets reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally annoying when he pulls out a Super-Powers toy and gives the history of Super-Powers to the guy WHO OWNS A TOY SHOP. Now, if he's doing that to get the information about a certain toy out to the audience, then that's great, because not everyone knows about Super-Powers, much like I found it helpful when he described the old Rembrandt toy. Instead of him telling it to the person he's buying from, they should have him do a voice-over with that information while showing shots of him looking at the toy...or maybe do a 'confessional' type of shot where he's looking into the camera while saying it cuz that way he's informing the audience instead of lecturing the owner, who obviously knows what they have.

Second, they need to take a lesson from Storage Wars, the only reality show I've ever watched and freaking LOVE. They show the guys buy the storage locker contents, and then at the end of the show they tally up what they ended up making once they ACTUALLY sold what they found in that episode. Yes, this will take more time to produce the show, but a a better product usually takes longer to make. The way it is now just makes him look like he's running off and saying "HAHAHAHA SUCKERS!!!!"

I hope they do those things or somehow tone him down cuz I really did enjoy the rest of the show and seeing so many rare and old toys--it was like having comic-con come into my living room!
    Coouldn't agree more John!

This one was bad he couldn't even pronounce Darkseid right (3-4 Times) if you actually know the character you would know how to pronounce it right..

And I had to laugh that he lost a little bit of money on some of the items..C'Mon he's not a collector he's an Invenstor passing himself off as a collector. And the pilot episode about finding the rocket firing Boba Fett in the guys comic shop...Really??? The store owner has a $15,000 figure just laying around.....Right...

The collection intervention is more watchable at least they are more believable...

The guy was in Toms River and Seaside Heights, where I grew up and am now for Summer, so I loved that aspect. I think the show is fun, especially when he found the Kiss dolls. I have all 4 of those originals in much better condition mind you, so that was cool to see!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Yeah I have a feeling the show is faked too. I live near Cincinnati and have been in the same shop he visits in the pilot episode, there is NO WAY the owner of a comic shop who has been there for years has no idea that star wars prototypes are worth tons of money. There actually used to be a store that sold 80s toys right across the street, making it even more unbelievable. And are we really supposed to believe that the owner of a toy store that sells vintage toys would keep a set of KISS Mego dolls and a boxed Darkseid playset in the "back room where we keep stuff that we don't think anyone would want" !? Even when he gives a history of the toys it sounds like he's reading it straight from a wikipedia page and doesn't really know anything about it. The best part of the show was when he didn't sell half of his stuff and then actually lost money on some of it.

I was contacted by the shows producer about a month ago. She said the host Jordan will be in the area in August. Which he is right now, in Orlando for the Star Wars Celebration 6. They asked if the host can come look at my collection, and I told them No...
    Like stated earlier I didnt want to make it worse on people who hunt,collect,resell,flip,hoard or anything to get any items. I dont want clueless people at flea markets and thrift stores etc.. to be clued in. Its not for them to know. Just like how the original people who were buying storage units (pre-storage wars,hunters etc) for a living are now having to pay more, or not find what they need to get by, since every newb in the world is flooding their auctions.

Quote Originally Posted by joeybones View Post
    I was contacted by the shows producer about a month ago. She said the host Jordan will be in the area in August. Which he is right now, in Orlando for the Star Wars Celebration 6. They asked if the host can come look at my collection, and I told them No...
    Like stated earlier I didnt want to make it worse on people who hunt,collect,resell,flip,hoard or anything to get any items. I dont want clueless people at flea markets and thrift stores etc.. to be clued in. Its not for them to know. Just like how the original people who were buying storage units (pre-storage wars,hunters etc) for a living are now having to pay more, or not find what they need to get by, since every newb in the world is flooding their auctions.
    That part about "letting them in" is whatever but what urks me is that he goes to this "house's" and "collector's" and they "give away" for a song some hard to find items and the first words out of his mouth is "Do you know how much I can get for this??" I said it before and it begs to be said again if it's MOTUC or any other toy line collector's collect to collect everyone else is an investor or a hoarder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    I watched a couple episodes last night and think they could improve it BIG TIME if they change a couple things about the format:

The host is pretty annoying, but he gets reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally annoying when he pulls out a Super-Powers toy and gives the history of Super-Powers to the guy WHO OWNS A TOY SHOP. Now, if he's doing that to get the information about a certain toy out to the audience, then that's great, because not everyone knows about Super-Powers, much like I found it helpful when he described the old Rembrandt toy. Instead of him telling it to the person he's buying from, they should have him do a voice-over with that information while showing shots of him looking at the toy...or maybe do a 'confessional' type of shot where he's looking into the camera while saying it cuz that way he's informing the audience instead of lecturing the owner, who obviously knows what they have.

Second, they need to take a lesson from Storage Wars, the only reality show I've ever watched and freaking LOVE. They show the guys buy the storage locker contents, and then at the end of the show they tally up what they ended up making once they ACTUALLY sold what they found in that episode. Yes, this will take more time to produce the show, but a a better product usually takes longer to make. The way it is now just makes him look like he's running off and saying "HAHAHAHA SUCKERS!!!!"

I hope they do those things or somehow tone him down cuz I really did enjoy the rest of the show and seeing so many rare and old toys--it was like having comic-con come into my living room!
    That's generally my feeling about Jordan. He is annoying and probably not as knowledgable as they try to portray on the show. I mean, Darkseid is the Lord of Apokalips. Dark seed is a MOTU character. You'd think a toy expert would know that. Well, Elyse from Collection Intervention would have probably gotten it right or at least called someone who knows more than her about the subject like she did with the Hot Wheels guy.

I love seeing the toys on Toy Hunters but Jordan takes some getting use to. Hopefully they get him to tone it down. I thought it was funny that the things he took to auction, besides the Barbie no. 1, all sold for less than he estimated. Again, makes you think how much does he really know.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Widget
    I hated this show the minute my mother-in-law handed me a NJ newspaper article detailing it. The first thing she said was "Maybe all your He-Man toys are worth lots of money!"

The insane price tags of impossible to find items lumped together with vague descriptions of the rest of the toyline gives people the impression that every toy is worth more than what most collectors are willing to pay for them.

As someone who trolls local garage sales for 80's collectibles, I absolutely hate it when I see something I like and people have completely irrational price-tags.... Mad Balls (or cheap knock offs) for $20 a piece, a broken half of Castle Grayskull at $100, and my favorite was roughed up 3rd print G.I. Joe comics at 2x guide price...

I watched part of the first episode and wrote it off as completely scripted... this guy is finding gems in the most random places left and right... you'd have to spend years filming random purchases to get one show.

Heroic Warrior sportsandstuff777's Avatar
    I finally caught the show and one thing I don't understand why do these people sell to this guy?? The guy with the Vintage Star Wars speeder bike in NJ. Has he not heard on eBay?? I would not be low balled on something like that.
    Check out my auctions for Thundercats, MOTU,Transformers, Gi-Joe and WWE!♫

http://tinyurl.com/7cadj6b

Visit my Blog at http://2coolghouls.blogspot.com/

Heroic Warrior
    Just seeing the Boba Fett proto and the Mad Bubbler in the pilot was cool, but Jordan is awful and the items since the first episode have been weak. Colorforms? Incomplete Mego Kiss dolls? I see better items at local shops all the time.
    Positive Transactions:

As buyer: boggs32, PaTrIcKfOgArTy, Dorko2, Shecky, Shenlon (2),
    Son of Keldor

As seller: mikethedrummer, slgcmg, kngfu
    DJjoker182, bobtheodd, mahuti, FAKER II, General Hawk 7

EBay: StLouisStallions

I watched the first episode and that will be all for me. I have no interest watching a man at work. That's all it is for him. Just a job.

Quote Originally Posted by joeybones View Post
    I’m sure all he wants to do is “look” at your collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Armandor View Post
    As someone who trolls local garage sales for 80's collectibles, I absolutely hate it when I see something I like and people have completely irrational price-tags.... Mad Balls (or cheap knock offs) for $20 a piece, a broken half of Castle Grayskull at $100, and my favorite was roughed up 3rd print G.I. Joe comics at 2x guide price...
    There was a particular thrift shop I used to frequent in the mid to late 90’s that got in lots of 80’s toys. A good portion of my 80's toy collection came from this one thrift shop. I got tons of stuff ranging from DC Super Powers (Clark Kent) to Transformers (Bumblejumper) all for dirt cheap.

Then ebay came. All of a sudden everyone, including those who ran this thrift shop, knew old toys were worth something. But people had these delusional ideas of what they thought their stuff could sell for. I went into this thrift shop and saw an $80 price tag on a Lion-O that only had his glove and a $100 price tag on a Battle Armor He-Man with no accessories.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Anybody see where he found the TF Bumblejumper & pretended he had never heard/seen it before? "I've been buying and selling Transformers for years and I've never seen this!"

Give me a break.
    Who has the Power?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by Merman's Head View Post
    Anybody see where he found the TF Bumblejumper & pretended he had never heard/seen it before? "I've been buying and selling Transformers for years and I've never seen this!"

Give me a break.
    I believe he'd never seen it. Remember, he's not a collector; he's a seller. Plus I don't think he is the expert they try to portray him as. He called Darkseid Dark seed. I question everything he says now.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Quote Originally Posted by sportsandstuff777 View Post
    I finally caught the show and one thing I don't understand why do these people sell to this guy?? The guy with the Vintage Star Wars speeder bike in NJ. Has he not heard on eBay?? I would not be low balled on something like that.
    Thats the same episode I saw. I was like, seriously? And then he sells it to a father and son for like 1,000. Common. Are you telling me that something only has like 3 made is only going to sell for 1,000. Thats crap. I know some toys arent worth a ton, but this SW item was super rare.

I've had enough of this show.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Thats the same episode I saw. I was like, seriously? And then he sells it to a father and son for like 1,000. Common. Are you telling me that something only has like 3 made is only going to sell for 1,000. Thats crap. I know some toys arent worth a ton, but this SW item was super rare.

I've had enough of this show.
    I agree...seems very staged, he doesn't seem very knowledgable at all (Dark seed?!?!), and shows like this seem detrimental to the collecting community...well, at least this guy is!

I think I've seen all of these now...I've DVRd them and have slowly caught up. I didn't know it was out til around October I guess.

The show is scripted, obviously, but all ill say is I think it's cool to see MOTU, GIJOE, and other cool toys on my LCD screen. I mean, other than a quick movie glimpse here and there where else would I see that?
    Plus I sometimes learn a thing or 2, such as William George sneaking his signature on the MOTU Box art (which I'm guessing is true, it seems plausible.)

I do laugh when Jordan says "do you know how much I can get for this?"
    And then turns around and low balls them by more than 50%! Lol

I am sure the 'regular people' are getting some sort of compensation in addition to what Jordan is offering.

My favorite, though, is the 1 I just watched where the lady had a case of
    All kinds of 1988 TMNT and other toys.
    How did she have so many?
    "Oh, just toys I bought as gifts that never got gifted"
    Riiiiiiiight.

In the end I just love walking down memory lane a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I agree...seems very staged, he doesn't seem very knowledgable at all (Dark seed?!?!), and shows like this seem detrimental to the collecting community...well, at least this guy is!
    I was thinking the same thing about the "Dark Seed" pronunciation. And I also like how these people have boxes and rooms filled with old toys and seem to sell him their rarest items.
    My post count just got bigger.

How come my last post about this show get deleted?? This show is a joke....
    Last edited by Megalodon; January 1, 2013 at 01:39pm.

I don't have time to watch it, I am busying hunting for toys
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

Well I hate to bring this show up again but on tonights show he bought a boxed Eternia....so in other words, forget about ever finding an Enternia for a decent price now! He said it was worth $1800, which Im not sure of, I thought it was only worth $800-$1000 but I havent looked for one in a few years either. Anyway he didnt even open it or check to see how complete it is, giving the impression that its just worth $1800 regardless of condition or completeness. The worst part is yard sale season just started up so between this and the guy trying to sell Nintendo World Championships on Pawn Stars for $20,00, I will be lucky if I find ANYTHING at a "yard sale" price anymore! Ugh!

What I dont get about this show is how does he even find these people to buy from? He never goes to garage sales or flea markets, its always the guy going to some random person with a house full of toys who just happens to not know what anything is worth....yet they own tons of rare toys. I dont get it!

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiki84 View Post
    Well I hate to bring this show up again but on tonights show he bought a boxed Eternia....so in other words, forget about ever finding an Enternia for a decent price now! He said it was worth $1800, which Im not sure of, I thought it was only worth $800-$1000 but I havent looked for one in a few years either. Anyway he didnt even open it or check to see how complete it is, giving the impression that its just worth $1800 regardless of condition or completeness. The worst part is yard sale season just started up so between this and the guy trying to sell Nintendo World Championships on Pawn Stars for $20,00, I will be lucky if I find ANYTHING at a "yard sale" price anymore! Ugh!

What I dont get about this show is how does he even find these people to buy from? He never goes to garage sales or flea markets, its always the guy going to some random person with a house full of toys who just happens to not know what anything is worth....yet they own tons of rare toys. I dont get it!
    Eternia MISB has risen up above $1,000. I had one as a kid, and my parents made me get rid of most of the towers when I got older to save space. Went searching for one MISB, but prices were insane. Instead got a nice loose Eternia tower for $100 loose.

As for the show, it's a "reality" show, so it's scripted. I have a hard time believing even 15% of what they do on that show is authentic. Nonetheless, I like to see the old toys on there.

I love the show. I know most of it is scripted, but I just LOVE seeing old toys. I really like when they find MOTU items.
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    I love the show. I know most of it is scripted, but I just LOVE seeing old toys. I really like when they find MOTU items.
    Pretty much this. I know most of it is bs. That Eternia seemed like it was planted there. they go through this whole storage closet, and somehow miss this gigantic box. and then when Jordan was talking about it, it seemed they lady had no clue what he was rambling on about.

either way, its a fun show. I love to see all the old toys, most of which I had forgotten about but make me smile when I see them.

and as for Jordan and his tactics, lowballing, making a profit, blah blah blah. Who cares. if your jealous, be jealous...not mad. I have had a small share of stumbling upon hidden treasures and got hella deals. he just got a TV show out of it. I dont want to be on TV anyway.

Seeing the old toys is the best part of the show. I usually have to pause it at least 4 times an episode to check out what's in the background!

One thing that did bother me in the last episode I watched was when he said he doesn't like flea markets!! How can you be a toy hunter and not go to flea markets???

Then the weird bald dude brought him to a toy show... That's not really a flea market...
    Need stuff? I might just have it!

Check out my shop!

SHOP1321

http://blujay.com/scar1321
    I'm always adding stuff!

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    I always see a common trend when people talk about Toy Hunter:

"Seeing the toys is the best part."

I need to do something about this...
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Quote Originally Posted by scar1321 View Post
    One thing that did bother me in the last episode I watched was when he said he doesn't like flea markets!! How can you be a toy hunter and not go to flea markets???
    I've certainly had some good finds at flea markets. Star Wars Blue Snaggletooth $10, GI*JOE Skystriker 100% complete with parachutes $25, vintage Star Wars ESB Lando Calrissian MOC $25, and the list goes on.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal