Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BRONY! - Dudes liking My Little Pony?!

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar

BRONY! - Dudes liking My Little Pony?!

So, throughout my whole childhood I liked My Little Pony almost as much as I liked MOTU, the good vs evil battles in the MLP episodes were often pretty climactic, (Tyrac, the murderous Centaur from "Rescue at Midnight Castle" makes Skeletor look like Paris Hilton) but I was teased by the other kids for liking a "girl's show" and wasn't allowed the toys because I'm a boy.

So anyway, now I reached a point as an adult where I don't much care about My Little Pony, I'm glad it's out there but I don't look at the merchandise and haven't seen the new show.

However, I just heard about the BRONY phenomenon! Adult guys who are addicted to the current MY Little Pony : Friendship is Magic show! The word Brony comes from the words Bro + pony = man who likes My Little Pony (Pegasister for a woman).

Apparently the character designs in the new show, it's more adult plots and humor are giving it a great following among adult males, especially the geeky types. The show is being treated like the Simpsons, Ren And Stimpy, Futurama, Family Guy etc...

I'm going to try and watch some episodes of the current MLP cartoon online to see what all the fuss is about, so maybe it will get me back into MLP.

I just wish BRONY had been around when I was a kid lol!

Anybody on this forum into the new My Little Pony show/characters etc?

What made you a Brony or Pegasister?
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

I have a 4 year old daughter and a 3 year old son. When we got the Hub for free for one month, I DVR’d all the My Little Pony and Strawberry Shortcake episodes for my kids plus Transformers Prime and GI*JOE Renegades for myself. That just about ate up all my DVR space.

For a modern kid’s show, I do find My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic to be entertaining. But I don’t think it is even close to an “adult” cartoon like the Simpsons, Ren & Stimpy, etc. It’s one of the few current cartoons where most episodes revolve around a plot to teach children values, similar to the Filmation MOTU cartoon.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

I like it because the cartoon is really cool. The animation may look childish and simple, but the characters are hilarious (especially Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie & Rainbow Dash), the show has a message for kids and there are lots of pop culture references for the adult fandom.

Hasbro even named some fan-favourite (background) characters exactly like the fans called them first!

A Brony actually evolves in 7 phases (borrowed from urbandictionary):
    Phase 1) Are you joking? How can adult males watch a show for girls?
    Phase 2) Pfft. I'll see what all the fuss is about, maybe make fun of the show.
    Phase 3) Meh. It was okay. It wasn't that bad, I'll give it that.
    Phase 4) It's actually kind of funny and entertaining.
    Phase 5) I take back everything bad I've said! This is AWESOME! ...but I'd be ruined if anyone found out...
    Phase 6) Friendship is Magic! Screw it! I'm a brony!
    Phase 7) I'm dead serious, you should watch My Little Pony, too.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    It's "adult" in the sense that it's a competent show that older people can watch and enjoy, with a few pop culture references that you might get but otherwise do not really stand out or affect the show to any real degree(unlike Family Guy). It's not "adult" in the sense they basically threw in a bunch of nasty stuff that really has no need to be there just because someone managed to slip a disguised joke past the network censors.

Yes, the show does go into Ren & Stimpy territory a few times. Pinkie Pie's insanity in "Party Of One" is pretty much straight from the episode "Hermit Ren". Twilight Sparkle's big insanity moment also bordered a bit on creepy. This is a show aimed at girls but not specifically for them(unlike a few other things Hasbro's done in the past), nor is it watered down nonsense about fashion and glamour with an airhead cast(unlike a few other things Hasbro, Mattel and others have done in the past). Though it's more "aimed at girls" by virtue of the history and market of the toys, not because of the show itself. I know the previous MLP show was pretty terrible by comparison. I also have to give them credit for hiring John DeLancie to play the season 2 villain, and actually making it clear that, yes, he's based on Q.

I'm also pretty picky about what I watch, which this day is a mix of NCIS, Dexter, old Columbo films and MLP FIM. I used to include Metalocalypse but Cartoon Network seems to have given up on it. I think the last cartoon I actually watched as well as this was The Mask, which was probably one of the last great "older" cartoons made before they just gave up and started importing anime. The only other modern cartoon I like besides FIM is Adventure Time.

When I was home sick from school there was a time when the only show on was the My little pony/potatohead kids show, I'd watch it and I kind of liked em, I started liking the potatohead kids a lot and begrudgingly enjoyed some of the My little pony eps more than I thought I should have. but I never got into the toys and when I wasn't home I wasn't interested in keeping up with it. but durnig Christmas sometimes teachers would bring in the MLP special and I was secretly happy to watch. lol
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I was a fan of the original show and I love the new one too and I'm not ashamed (weird) I also like other girly" things too(like ssc,rainbow brite and natually she-ra)A fact I know shouldn't be true but hey why fight it? lol!!
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

yeah, my 18 year old daughter has male friends who like this show. i know even older guys online who like this new pony show. i watched and episode and i don't get it.

The show is friggin' hilarious and I love it - but it comes from the wife of the guy that made Power Puff Girls, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Samurai Jack, and the Clone Wars toons (not the current one). She wasn't involved in all of them, but she was pretty close in Foster's, and you can see that humor in MLP. She has some great ideas here, and they are continuing to be hilarious. She isn't as involved with season 2, but her ideas are still pushing the show forward. I'm glad they can make shows like this still - ones that don't pander to kids and treat them like they're stupid.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

It really is an excellent show, my wife is a diehard MLP fan (we try to go the MLP Convention every year) and I really wish Hasbro would embrace the male side of the audience and release the guys as figures like they did in the 80's with the Big Brothers line.

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    yeah, my 18 year old daughter has male friends who like this show. i know even older guys online who like this new pony show. i watched and episode and i don't get it.
    You have to watch more than one, some are duds but the majority of them are really well written
    Last edited by markatisu; February 24, 2012 at 03:25pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    You have to watch more than one, some are duds but the majority of them are really well written
    That's pretty much it! Took me a few episodes, really. Watched one, it was cute, but I wasn't really itchin' for more. Caught the end of another, saw some clever jokes, decided to try to catch a whole episode. Saw another, laughed quite a bite, then another and another...then I was like: "Alright. I'm seeing the DVR to record this. Can't get around it: this is funny." I told my wife the same, though she didn't believe me at first. I showed her some of the recorded episodes, and she was hooked too! The show really shines in the writing, though I like the animation and designs as well.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

This thread lacks contribution by Count Marzo.

the new my little pony

I have 3 daughters ages 3,4 &9 its definitely a kid show I've seen it with them and would gladly welcome back the original cartoon over this new crap
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

i see nothing wrong with grown men liking my little pony. real men watch whatever the heck they want, confident in who they are and what they like!
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

Movie mayhem!
    I'd give it a try. I remember really liking that one movie with the schmooze.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    This thread lacks contribution by Count Marzo.
    Here I am!

Yes, I am a "Brony" and I was waaaaayy before it was even a term. I watched My Little Pony and Friends as a kid. It was in my rotation of cartoons. Although I mostly watched it mostly for the "and Friends" part. Glo Friends to be exact and the Potato Head Kids were alright too. There was a girl that lived next door to my Grandparent's house that had mad My Little Ponies and I was cool with her, although I played MOTU of course. When My Little Pony came out on DVD, I bought it right away. Wish they'd come out with "and Friends" part of it. After all, everyone remembers that theme song.

Another funny story: I was at a bar many years ago with a few friends and they had a contest called "Pony or Pr0nstar" and they gave you a few names and you had to guess if it was a My Little Pony or a pr0nstar. Needless to say, I got them all right and won a terrible, free t-shirt that I either threw out or gave away or something. Yes, I was questioned for that knowledge, but they thought I was a pr0n addict rather than someone who enjoys My Little Pony.

I really enjoy Friendship is Magic nowadays on the Hub. In fact, I'll even say that My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is the BEST job that Hasbro has done when it comes to revamping/rebooting their properties (yes, this obviously includes Transformers and G.I. Joe). The cartoon is actually good, fun, and watchable. They have fun, cheap toys to go along with it (Blind Bags) and they didn't ruin it with a terrible, money making movie....yet.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    The show is friggin' hilarious and I love it - but it comes from the wife of the guy that made Power Puff Girls, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Samurai Jack, and the Clone Wars toons (not the current one).
    Actually, Genndy Tartakovsky created 'Samurai Jack', but Craig McCracken worked with Genndy on 'Dexter' for the first few seasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killian View Post
    So, throughout my whole childhood I liked My Little Pony almost as much as I liked MOTU, the good vs evil battles in the MLP episodes were often pretty climactic, (Tyrac, the murderous Centaur from "Rescue at Midnight Castle" makes Skeletor look like Paris Hilton) but I was teased by the other kids for liking a "girl's show" and wasn't allowed the toys because I'm a boy.
    I did see the first 'My Little Pony' special as A kid when there was nothing better on. Clearly, I knew this wasn't for me, and never bothered watching more 'My Little Pony' ever since. Upon looking at it recently, I have to agree that the centaur in that one was was pretty scary, and down right evil. He had his minions capture the poor ponies, so he can chain them up, and turn them into dragons. Yeah, it was 'cutsey-wootsey', but my god, was he cruel. (He was also voiced by the 'Transformers' narrator, Victor Caroli.)
    Last edited by mbaker; February 25, 2012 at 06:41am.

I am not a fan, but I did notice WeLoveFine has TONS of Brony tee shirts. That was the first I'd heard of this.

Being that my wife is a mlp collector and customizer; I get excited about it too. We have the show set to record new episodes; unfortunately, we just haven't been drawn into the show. I love cartoons, but for some reason, when I put this one on, it just ends up white background noise in our house.

A Defender of Grayskull coolapex's Avatar
    I watch MLP with my two young daughters. I used to watch it back when I was a kid as well. I don't know what attracted me to it. Maybe it was the bright colors, the enicence or just a fun story to watch. Or maybe I just needed a break from all the Autobot vs. Decepticon battles. Either way it put a smile on my face. I was the kind of boy that would go to the Strawberry Shortcake aisle and smell her hair after checking out the MOTU toys. Am I a BRONY? I'm not sure but I enjoy MLP through my girls.

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    When I first saw what the show looked like I kinda ignore it but collected the toys. After hearing the hoopla with the character Discord my opinion totally changed. Still collect the toys own two each of the 'Mane Six' (one loose and one MIP).
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    . I watched My Little Pony and Friends as a kid. It was in my rotation of cartoons. Although I mostly watched it mostly for the "and Friends" part. Glo Friends to be exact and the Potato Head Kids were alright too.
    YES!! that's the one! I forgot about glofriends, I liked that as well.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    This kind of surprised me a little, but I have never seen either the old or the new show, so I don't really know much about My Little Pony aside from my niece had a whole bunch of them back in the day. They were cute enough, but never really got my attention.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    I watched My Little Pony and Friends as a kid.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Here's A fun little retrospective on 'My Little Pony'.

Moondreamers were pretty good too.
    Starchild's #1 fan!!