Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NECA figures - Are they any good?

NECA figures - Are they any good?

As the title suggests, are the NECA figures any good?

I am interested in picking up some of the Predator and Aliens figures but I want to know if they are fully articulated or not. Some of the pictures I have looked at don't show articulation points but they are stated to have full articulation.

I am a stickler for articulation on my figures as I don't want mini statues with my"action" figures.

Any help is appreciated

i'm not sure if they apply the same level of articulation to all of their figures...their recent TMNT figures had a great amount of articulation...but i can't comment on their alien or predator offerings as i have none.

but there's a review of neca's classic predator on poe ghostal's site complete with a layout of all of the articulation points...

http://www.poeghostal.com/2010/09/re...tors-neca.html

hope this helps
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

I haven't opened any of my NECA, I do know they vary figure to figure. The Conan I have has none, the Hermione has a ball on the shoulder (skirt doesn't let me see hip) and Eric Draven have a simple rotate at the hip and shoulder. I have seen some with elbow and knee.

Not sure what the Skeksis has but looking at pictures he has some basic articulation.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Bri-Man View Post
    i'm not sure if they apply the same level of articulation to all of their figures...their recent TMNT figures had a great amount of articulation...but i can't comment on their alien or predator offerings as i have none.

but there's a review of neca's classic predator on poe ghostal's site complete with a layout of all of the articulation points...

http://www.poeghostal.com/2010/09/re...tors-neca.html

hope this helps
    Thanks for that, I might pick that one up.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I haven't opened any of my NECA, I do know they vary figure to figure. The Conan I have has none, the Hermione has a ball on the shoulder (skirt doesn't let me see hip) and Eric Draven have a simple rotate at the hip and shoulder. I have seen some with elbow and knee.

Not sure what the Skeksis has but looking at pictures he has some basic articulation.
    It is this inconsistency that concerns me when buying NECA's products. They don't need to be super articulated but they have more than the basic 5 points

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Actually NECA figures are some of the most durable figures I own. I love their detail and attention to accessories. I just wish their figures had leg articulation, if they did I would give them a A+, but right now Id say B+ cause of the articulation.
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

Yeah, that is why I wanted to start this thread. It seems that some have pretty good articulation and some don't.

The upcoming Colonial Marines piqued my interest so providing they have decent articulation I will pick them up. I want to grab a few more iconic figures, but again, only if they have good articulation

HD figures on youtube
    The Predator do for sure. Swivel hips,thigh, feet, & ball head, shoulders, elbows,& knees. As Lord Anubis said, they are very durable, or at least the ones I own.

I just bought the maskless Classic Predator from ebay. There is also a Classic Predator with a mask, is that the same figure as the maskless one just with a mask?

I am trying to find information on these figures around the net but it is a bit confusing. I didn't even know there were so many different predators

HD figures on youtube
    All the "classic" predators share the same body, but with different heads & accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by BCreviews4628 View Post
    All the "classic" predators share the same body, but with different heads & accessories.
    Thanks for that, and sorry to keep bombarding you with questions but is it just the 3 Classic Predators, Masked, Maskless and SDCC Exclusive or is there more?

HD figures on youtube
    Masked
    Unmasked
    Battle Damaged
    Shaman
    Boar
    Elder
    City Hunter(Predator 2)
    Gort

And a couple two-Packs from TRU.

Quote Originally Posted by BCreviews4628 View Post
    Masked
    Unmasked
    Battle Damaged
    Shaman
    Boar
    Elder
    City Hunter(Predator 2)
    Gort

And a couple two-Packs from TRU.
    I didn't know they all had the same body. I might have to buy a few more then...

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    NECA is a mixed bag. Some of their figures make no sense when it comes to articulation. For example, The Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil Anniversary figures have may 6 points of articulation. Their elbows could swivel, their heads could turn, and their thighs could swivel, but they were stuff in poses as if they were creeping down the hallway of mansion. Their RE5 figures seem to have a lot more articulation, but they only did 3 characters and that is it. Their Legacy of Kain figures are weird too. Kain had a waist rotation, balljoint shoulders, hands, head, and feet, but that is all that could move on him. Raziel, on the other hand, had articulation elbows, kneeds, thighs, no waist, shoulders, hands, head, feet. The Castlevania ones were a mixture between the RE ones and Legacy of Kain ones, but their Ninja Gaiden Ryu Hayabusa is like a DCU/ML figure when it comes to articulation.

The only other problem is that their paint aps are occassionally sloppy and the plastic is not as durable, so one wrong movie and it snaps off.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    NECA is semi-decent, if you can get them for a good price. The downside is, articulation is hit or miss and some of their articulation is really questionable. They're also one of those companies that doesn't believe in casting parts in their primary base color so nearly every centimeter is painted, which means more paint chipping. I'd rather have "shiny toy look" than "covered in black spots because of paint chips". They've also cut accessories down to maybe 1 per figure, with only rare exceptions. Even so they're still cheaper than Mattel's ripoff prices(yeah, funny how the small company can price less than a major company). They also make some really strange decisions, such as the tow line string with Bionic Commando, which really didn't work too well.

They also have a habit of getting a license, making 1 or 2 toys and then ignoring the license, basically doing nothing useful with it. Castlevania should have been more than 4 toys.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    They also have a habit of getting a license, making 1 or 2 toys and then ignoring the license, basically doing nothing useful with it. Castlevania should have been more than 4 toys.
    That has always been my biggest beef with NECA. Too many times they have picked up an awesome licensed, and then only made the main character...over and over again. That's reather annoying. My prime example is God of War. I wanted God of War figures so bad, becuase I love all of the mythological creatures and gods in those games. So much potential for an awesome toy line. Except all NECA did was make like 5 versions of Kratos. All awesome sculpts and cool figures, but seriously...why only Kratos?

At least with Castlevania we got four characters, but I agree that we should have got a lot more. Same goes with their Assassin's Creed lines. How many times do we need Ezio?

NECA makes a lot of great looking product. I specifically love their video game related stuff. And their Gremlins and E.T. stuff coming out look fantastic. But I do agree with the complaints about the randomness of the articulation points and the fragility of some of their figures. I've had many of their toys break on me far too easy. So be careful with that.

Otherwise, you'll certainly get some excellent sculpts, and they do make fine display pieces!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Yeah, that was annoying. And then when they were going to do something with the God of War license, Sony gave it to DC Direct, who made half assed McFarlane statues out of them. I was so ****** that I bought a case of the GoW figures, as I still want my money back, and no one wants these piles of junk.

Legacy of Kain and Castlevania are also in that pile. Legacy of Kain should have had more than Kain and 3 diferent versions of Raziel. They have an entire mythology of Nosgoth and they only do two characters. As for Castlevania, they should have at least also done Maria (SOTN version), Richter, Death, and some of the monsters. Hell, they could have easily taken advantage of Lords of Shadows when it came out. Instead, they have done nothing with it. Oh wait, they did give us a clear Simon and a Succubus (who was only in one scene of the game). If they wanted to do a succubus, they should have done the significant one from Rondo of Blood.

As for Resident Evil, no Claire, no Wesker, no Barry, Rebecca, Ashley, Birkin, Saddler, or anyone else that mattered. If you are going to do an RE figure series, Wesker is one of the first ones that should be made.

Thank the gods they never got the Metal Gear Solid license. We would get Solid Snake (MGS1), Solid Snake (MGS2), Torture Room Solid Snake (MGS1), Stealth Camo (aka Clear) Solid Snake (MGS2) and Half-Way Stealth Camo Solid Snake (MGS2).
    Last edited by Dr Kain; February 27, 2012 at 03:32pm.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Snappy Threader
    Ok, I finally caved and bought two NECA figures. Bulletstorm and a Gears of War 2 Kantus. These figures are amazing. Great detail, and both have awesome articulation. I would suggest these to anyone looking for high quality figs.

I will definitely be getting these;

They look like they have decent articulation and the sculpts are fantastic.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    NECA is semi-decent, if you can get them for a good price. The downside is, articulation is hit or miss and some of their articulation is really questionable. They're also one of those companies that doesn't believe in casting parts in their primary base color so nearly every centimeter is painted, which means more paint chipping. I'd rather have "shiny toy look" than "covered in black spots because of paint chips". They've also cut accessories down to maybe 1 per figure, with only rare exceptions. Even so they're still cheaper than Mattel's ripoff prices(yeah, funny how the small company can price less than a major company). They also make some really strange decisions, such as the tow line string with Bionic Commando, which really didn't work too well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    That has always been my biggest beef with NECA. Too many times they have picked up an awesome licensed, and then only made the main character...over and over again. That's reather annoying. My prime example is God of War. I wanted God of War figures so bad, becuase I love all of the mythological creatures and gods in those games. So much potential for an awesome toy line. Except all NECA did was make like 5 versions of Kratos. All awesome sculpts and cool figures, but seriously...why only Kratos?

At least with Castlevania we got four characters, but I agree that we should have got a lot more. Same goes with their Assassin's Creed lines. How many times do we need Ezio?

NECA makes a lot of great looking product. I specifically love their video game related stuff. And their Gremlins and E.T. stuff coming out look fantastic. But I do agree with the complaints about the randomness of the articulation points and the fragility of some of their figures. I've had many of their toys break on me far too easy. So be careful with that.

Otherwise, you'll certainly get some excellent sculpts, and they do make fine display pieces!
    TRUTH.

I've sworn off NECA after their Street Fighter and TMNT debacles.

SOTA, the former toy company that had the SF license, would have killed to put out SF figures while a red-hot game was on shelves. They produced nearly 30 characters in the years when Street Fighter was dead. When Street Fighter IV came out, NECA took a leak on the license and released only six figures.

TMNT was another epic let down. Instead of releasing some Foot Ninja or even the Shredder as their "save the line figure", they chose April O' Neil. And I think that NECA had planned to make a yellow jumpsuited variant that many fans held out for, passing on the blue jumpsuited version from the comic. And that was the last release from NECA...

The TMNT figures themselves did very well in the US, but did poorly overseas due to the all red masks. NECA couldn't repaint some variants to their toyline colors, with colored masks and pads?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Neca might be my second favorite toy line right now after MOTUC. Their Predator line is out of this world with the amount of love they've shown in creating 9 obscure predators from the end of Predator 2. Alien, Rocky, Robocop, Prometheus also amazing.

Sounds like you guys are talking about licenses Neca had from years ago. Check out their current stuff.

I don't collect very much NECA, but I do really like the new Rocky figures.
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

This is amazing. Double knees, double elbows.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Neca might be my second favorite toy line right now after MOTUC. Their Predator line is out of this world with the amount of love they've shown in creating 9 obscure predators from the end of Predator 2. Alien, Rocky, Robocop, Prometheus also amazing.

Sounds like you guys are talking about licenses Neca had from years ago. Check out their current stuff.
    I would be curious how much NECA has in choosing what is and isn't made with the license. Which is kind of the point we have been trying to make, NECA is hit or miss. You either get fairly well articulated figures or ones that aren't, you either get a line that has several unique characters or you get the same character in different outfits.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Like I said, I'm pointing at what they've been doing recently. Rocky, Alien, Predator, Prometheus, Robocop are top notch. It's more hit than miss.

Robocop for example recently released a workable holster, but their series one did not have it. So you had to buy the normal version to support the line and show interest. Other lines like the Carrie remake doesn't look to have any articulation. Lines like Terminator don't have any leg articulation, but have done a great job with making every version of Arnold with movie accurate details such as weapons.

They're a specialty store company as well, so they're really just dependent on TRU and comic shops for sales, not wide release like Marvel or DC.

They also have the best communication between fans. Randy on twitter answers questions every day about anything. Don't like what they're doing it? Tell him and he'll tell you why.

Last edited by SCB; December 14, 2012 at 12:49pm.

SCB, you seem to be a big fan of NECA. Can you tell me how are the Predator figures are and what are the better ones?

I really like what I am seeing so I will pick them up if they are pretty consistent with articulation.