Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Birthday Gift Set for an 8 year old: Who Else Besides?

MOTUC Birthday Gift Set for an 8 year old: Who Else Besides?

I'm putting a gift together for my nephew and I plan to buy him 5-6 MOTUC items and introduce him to the line. He's turning eight years old.

I shopped the current Matty sale and I got him:

He-Man
    Skeletor
    Trap Jaw

Battle Cat was sold out. I was thinking to get him 2-3 other items. What, in your opinion, would make a cool set of introductory action figures for an 8 year old? If I can't get Battle Cat, I would like to get at least one good guy to go along with He-Man and one or even two more baddies. I'm also thinking in terms of what characters would be fun for him, and aren't the ones that would cost too much per figure. They don't have to be "lead" characters, since he doesn't really know the story yet. But I think it is important that the supporting character(s) be something tricky and fun. TRAP JAW is perfect because he's sinister and has the cool arm attachments. But who else? Know where I can get a Battle Cat for cheap-ish?

I can shop on ebay or other places besides Matty, obviously. I have carded versions of most every figure, but they are all first releases and I don't want to part with those in that way, ya know?

Your thoughts, gang?
    Last edited by PrinceAdam101; March 6, 2012 at 07:23pm.
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Clawful
    Buzz-Off
    Man-E-Faces

*even though I love Man-At-Arms, he has small pieces that could easily be lost*
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Heroic Warrior
    Does your nephew have a particular interest in "wrestlers", "aliens", "robots" or "monsters" or something similar?

Given the breadth of characters available in MOTUC, I'd probably aim for something that he already has an interest in. So far, you have three mostly "humanoid" figures.

If your nephew is a fan of "wrestlers" or "superheroes", I'd probably stick with that theme. But, if he likes "robots" then Roboto would obviously be a good choice or if he likes "aliens" perhaps Buzz-Off? Then again, if he likes Thundercats, then perhaps Carnivus.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    If it's for a kid, I would say Gy-gor (big yellow ape), Mer-Man (for underwater adventures), Demo-Man (for head changing ability for the Skeletor you have already) and Scareglow (glow-in-the-dark skeleton).
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Snappy Threader
    Man-At-Arms is a must I beleive. So are Beast Man, Mer-Man and Stratos. I think you can still get the DC two packs for 19.99 at TRU. I know it has DC guys with it, but.......for 19.99.....

This is funny because I came this/close to buying MOTUC for my nephew who just turned 9. My brother didn't think he would be into them (he felt like he was getting away from toys already?). I was going to get him He-Man, Battle Cat, Skeletor, and Trap Jaw - so we're thinking right along the same lines. Let me know how it goes!

edit: if I had to get him 2 or 3 others I'd go for Mer-man, MAA, Beast Man or Tri-Klops
    Last edited by yeahthatsme1973; March 6, 2012 at 10:06pm.

Mer-Man, Man-At-Arms, & Battle Cat! All green, all kick-ass!

Scareglow and another Trap Jaw for Kronis

Heroic Warrior
    So I asked my 8 year old son , I said if you could only have 6 - which would they be

his answer in order
    He-Man
    Battle Cat
    Skeletor
    Panthor
    Sorceress
    Adam/Orko

so there ya go

Starchild needs some love Morningstar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBlitzer View Post
    So I asked my 8 year old son , I said if you could only have 6 - which would they be

his answer in order
    He-Man
    Battle Cat
    Skeletor
    Panthor
    Sorceress
    Adam/Orko

so there ya go
    good choices!!!!!

As a kid I loved Snout Spout, and the Classics version is still a fave.

Also, what about a female character?

Heroic Warrior
    Call me weird, but when the first MOTU figures came out, Zodac was one of my favorites as a kid. I liked the idea of him being both a cosmic being, and also not having his allegiance defined, meaning I could stick him with He-Man sometimes, Skeletor sometimes, and sometimes he had his own agenda. In retrospect, he wasn't the coolest-looking figure, but he always seemed best at sparking my imagination and letting me make my own MOTU stories.

(And because of this, with the possible exception of Skeletor, he's my favorite MOTUC from the original 8-back group )

She-Ra 1.0
    Evil-Lyn 1.0 (because she comes with Screeech)
    BG Teela (cool warrior lady)
    BG Evil-Lyn (multiple head interplay)
    Clawful - SOOOOO much fun
    Buzz-Off - also SOOOO much fun
    Man-E-Faces - tons of fun
    Scareglow
    Moss Man - the smell is cool and he just looks cool
    Megator or Tytus (giants are awesome)
    Gygor (same reason)
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    She-Ra 1.0
    Evil-Lyn 1.0 (because she comes with Screeech)
    BG Teela (cool warrior lady)
    BG Evil-Lyn (multiple head interplay)
    Clawful - SOOOOO much fun
    Buzz-Off - also SOOOO much fun
    Man-E-Faces - tons of fun
    Scareglow
    Moss Man - the smell is cool and he just looks cool
    Megator or Tytus (giants are awesome)
    Gygor (same reason)
    I followed this man's advice when I got my 8 year old nephew a bunch for Christmas. A number of these were suggested to me, and they were wise choices... Thanks again, Duke!
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-O View Post
    I followed this man's advice when I got my 8 year old nephew a bunch for Christmas. A number of these were suggested to me, and they were wise choices... Thanks again, Duke!
    Thanks! I have some young nieces and nephews. My nephew has my taste in MOTU: he likes everything LOL. My niece likes most of them... she doesn't like Roboto at all. I thought that was interesting.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Thanks! I have some young nieces and nephews. My nephew has my taste in MOTU: he likes everything LOL. My niece likes most of them... she doesn't like Roboto at all. I thought that was interesting.
    It's young fans like this we need to pass the torch to. As an all inclusive, I often feel like the wild man in the forest.

Interesting about your niece. Maybe because he's lacking in emotion, so there's little to connect with?
    I love an all inclusive canon!

HD figures on youtube
    *even though I love Man-At-Arms, he has small pieces that could easily be lost*
    That's true, but I was even younger then 8 when I first got the figures, so I think Man-At-Arms is a must for a child's first exposure to MOTU.

And btw, it's awesome of you to do this Adam! The more lives touched by MOTU the better!

Get him the fabulous Star Sisters! 3 figs in 1 shot. Then buy him some glitter glue, or some shiny lip gloss and you can him can roleplay!

"Prepare to save the Universe Jimmy! Sparkle Glitter Balls of Power, fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiire!!!"

Personally, I'd go with Man-At-Arms, Whiplash and Clawful, or just buy whatever is instock and onsale at Matty. Mer-Man is pretty awesome.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; March 7, 2012 at 04:08am.

I gave my best friends son a He-Man/Superman 2-pack for his 4th birthday, he loved it! (altho considering how much it cost me and the time and effort getting it I cringed everytime he smashed them together! lol)

Im still contemplating whether to let my son play with my Classics and/or 200x figs... they are a little too pricey for me to get his own set...
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

I just show the pics of whats avaible and my soon 6yr old daughter picks the ones she wants most.

As you said, he's not really familiar with the brand, so try this out: get him Photog! See what he says about this guy!

I'd also toss in Mer-Man and Stratos.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior
    You're the coolest uncle ever! I remember when I was like 5 my uncle got me the Maximum Carnage 3 pack and that was my first introduction into all things nerdy. The rest is history

And I'll throw in a vote for Scareglow and Fisto. Both of them aren't very weapon heavy making them easy to keep track of, plus they're just cool. Although you really should get Beast Man and Mer-Man since they're Skelly's top men.

I will say that I wouldn't suggest getting Tytus or Megator. I just got Megator the other day and he broke right away (fortunately I got him from Amazon and could easily get him replaced), so I was extra careful with the new one. That hollow body won't bode well for playing, plus he just isn't very fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Haephestus View Post
    Does your nephew have a particular interest in "wrestlers", "aliens", "robots" or "monsters" or something similar?

Given the breadth of characters available in MOTUC, I'd probably aim for something that he already has an interest in. So far, you have three mostly "humanoid" figures.

If your nephew is a fan of "wrestlers" or "superheroes", I'd probably stick with that theme. But, if he likes "robots" then Roboto would obviously be a good choice or if he likes "aliens" perhaps Buzz-Off? Then again, if he likes Thundercats, then perhaps Carnivus.
    i agree with haephestus. above all else, you should pick characters that compliment your nephew's interests.

as far as items in stock at matty, i'd narrow it down to:

BG evil-lyn
    mer-man
    carnivus
    moss man
    gygor

i'm partial to the ones that look like monsters though. battle cat is supposed to be for sale year-round, so you could always wait for more to show up at matty. if there's not enough time and you want to get him a larger toy, i'd pick gygor over panthor. i get the feeling that you'd buy him a battle cat at some point no matter what, so i'm trying to come up with a diverse set.

if you're willing to scour the secondary market, the sky's the limit. i don't have every figure in this line, but they're all neat toys. you may want to avoid someone like the goddess or snout spout because they tend to break. and i've heard that moss man's flocking will be ruined if he's exposed to water. his scent could also be an issue if your nephew has allergies.

My son is 6 years old and his favorite are all of the beasts and larger figures so Tytus, Megator, Gygor, Shadow Beast, Battle Cat, and Panthor are all good bets.

Well, if ebay isn't a problem, why not snag Battle Cat there?

I'd say the perfect set of figures for a kid would be:

He-Man / Battlecat
    Skeletor / Panthor
    Man-at-Arms
    Teela
    Prince Adam & Orko
    Sorceress
    Trap Jaw
    Evil Lyn
    Beast Man

With that you could get him watching old FILMation cartoons and he'd have the principal cast.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!