Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why can't Castle Grayskull get the Hover Board treatment?

Why can't Castle Grayskull get the Hover Board treatment?

I hate to beat a dead horse, but why can't Castle Grayskull get the same treatment as the Hover Board that was announced at Toy Fair?

(Hover Board details: We'll be taking orders for it March 1 – March 20, 2012, and the final product will be shipped around November/December 2012. Because this is such a high-cost item, there will be a minimum number of orders required to go into production. If we don't receive the minimum orders, won't go into production and customers will not be charged. The price will be announced later this month.)

I'm sure someone on here has a logical answer to my question, but I'm just curious.

Heroic Journalist MldMnrdReporter's Avatar
    Because Mattel likes to have double standards.
    Gwildor: Moo? Moo.
    He-Man: Gwildor!
    Gwildor: I'm going, I'm going...Moo!

Honestly, the board had way less development and will cost about 25% of what a Castle Grayskull playset would. To do a presale item we still need to spend a lot of man hours doing pre production work, design work and costing to find out the features of the toy (in order to explain to presale customers what they are getting. After all, we can't just say "Castle Grayskull playset" and leave it at that. Customers will want to know size, scale, any features, accessories, lights, sounds etc....and most of all price. Figuring out all of this take a huge amount of work. Predesign on a playset just takes way more work vs. the rather minimal predesign work on a prop replica like the Hoverboard.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm sure the price will be ridiculously high for the hoverboard. And it looks like a simple enough sculpt. Can you imagine what they would try and charge for a Castle Grayskull, which would be bigger and require more tooling?

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Honestly, the board had way less development and will cost about 25% of what a Castle Grayskull playset would. To do a presale item we still need to spend a lot of man hours doing pre production work, design work and costing to find out the features of the toy (in order to explain to presale customers what they are getting. After all, we can't just say "Castle Grayskull playset" and leave it at that. Customers will want to know size, scale, any features, accessories, lights, sounds etc....and most of all price. Figuring out all of this take a huge amount of work. Predesign on a playset just takes way more work vs. the rather minimal predesign work on a prop replica like the Hoverboard.
    But you guys did just say "Hover Board movie prop" and left it at that. No board was shown at Toy Fair. All you did was say that it's up to par with the Ghostbusters props. And what happens if you don't meet the pre-sale numbers for the board, all the pre production work goes down the drain? With that said, I'm super excited about the Hover Board and will be pre-ordering one blindly lol. Then I'll just need Nike to release the Mags in 2015 and I'll be set.

I'm sure that even at $400-500 you guys will get plenty of interest in a Castle Grayskull. And if you don't meet the production pre-sale quota, you can keep take the prototype home TG lol.

Heroic Warrior
    So based on this statement, If the Hoverboard will cost over $100, and I'm sure it will... Then Castle Grayskull will be around $400 or more. I'm not too sure the majority of fans will want to pay that for CG.

Quote Originally Posted by mrguardia View Post
    But you guys did just say "Hover Board movie prop" and left it at that. No board was shown at Toy Fair. All you did was say that it's up to par with the Ghostbusters props. And what happens if you don't meet the pre-sale numbers for the board, all the pre production work goes down the drain? With that said, I'm super excited about the Hover Board and will be pre-ordering one blindly lol. Then I'll just need Nike to release the Mags in 2015 and I'll be set.

I'm sure that even at $400-500 you guys will get plenty of interest in a Castle Grayskull. And if you don't meet the production pre-sale quota, you can keep take the prototype home TG lol.
    Um, didn't they show one at Toy Fair? I know I've seen pics online. . . where those not actual pics of a mock up

If Castle Greyskull friggin' hovers I will be all over that, no price would be too high.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    You do this every year when you don't announce who will be in the sub.
    Last edited by Prince Adam's Dad; February 19, 2012 at 11:40am.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Scott, I understand it's a ton more pre-production, but don't you think you'd sell a ton more Grayskulls? I'm sure you guys could take a bit of time and ball-park the costs/price, they try a pre-order.

Is there any more fan demanded item?!?

BTW, most of us would be happy with a cool, in scale display piece.

Surely, you must ask yourself, "can MOTUC ever be complete without Castle Grayskull?"

Yea sorta like the Ghostbusters Ghost Trap right?

Maybe chanting "Graykull! Grayskull!" through every Mattel presentation would help!

Ok, I'm done making trouble today.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    So based on this statement, If the Hoverboard will cost over $100, and I'm sure it will... Then Castle Grayskull will be around $400 or more. I'm not too sure the majority of fans will want to pay that for CG.
    True. Plus with shipping costs & customs for international customers, it would cost 600-700$ final...

We're not only talking about hardcore fans but also about casual customers, who are the majority and who won't spent hundreds of $ for 1 item...
    Last edited by Berserker79; February 19, 2012 at 12:15pm.

Merry Christmas! The All American's Avatar
    One of the things ToyGuru has mentioned is that labor and materials have skyrocketed. Wouldn't now be the best time to release Grayskull before it's too pricey? I am sure Castle Grayskull would outsell the hoverboard by wide margins. We want Castle Grayskull! More than Skeletor did, and that's saying a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    Um, didn't they show one at Toy Fair? I know I've seen pics online. . . where those not actual pics of a mock up
    There was at least a poster of what it will look like.

Photobucket

It'll be interesting to learn the price of the Hover Board so we can multiply it by 4 and get an idea of what Mattel thinks Castle Grayskull would cost.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Surely, you must ask yourself, "can MOTUC ever be complete without Castle Grayskull?"
    Everyone really needs to stop thinking that they give a care about MOTUC being "complete".
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    Good point well made.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    After all, we can't just say "Castle Grayskull playset" and leave it at that. Customers will want to know size, scale, any features, accessories, lights, sounds etc....and most of all price.
    Itīs curious. I actually buy a line of toys, where I donīt know names, sizes, any features, accesories...

Besides, I donīt want any sound or lights if this can lower the final price.
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    Massive ownage!!

I understand where we would need to know the scale and stuff first, so they could simply............ tell us.
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

$400-$500 for a Castle Grayskull? Just what kind of Pine Scented glue are you sniffing?

Heroic Warrior
    I feel a huge flop coming with that Hoverboard. Seems more like a lot of "that's neat!" crowd than a true collector base for it.

The playset for the new TMNT show is HUGE and the retail price is $120. I know an online exclusive Castle Grayskull would have a lower run than a retail playset, but online MOTUC figures don't even cost double comparable retail lines (DCUC, ML). A CG in the $250 range should be doable.
    Positive Transactions:

As buyer: boggs32, PaTrIcKfOgArTy, Dorko2, Shecky, Shenlon (2),
    Son of Keldor

As seller: mikethedrummer, slgcmg, kngfu
    DJjoker182, bobtheodd, mahuti, FAKER II, General Hawk 7

EBay: StLouisStallions

I'm sure that even at $400-500 you guys will get plenty of interest in a Castle Grayskull.
    Where are you getting this from?

I doubt many people would pay $400.00-$500.00 for a Plastic Castle Grayskull. I Sure wouldn't , it would have to come with a hologram projector of He-Man Transforming for that price =) with hologram lightning , sound effects , etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenlon View Post
    I doubt many people would pay $400.00-$500.00 for a Plastic Castle Grayskull. I Sure wouldn't , it would have to come with a hologram projector of He-Man Transforming for that price =) with hologram lightning , sound effects , etc.
    Hell, for that price, it better allow ME to change into He-Man!