Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TG Blog #6 Faker - I Hardly knew her!

Heroic Warrior
    "Delays in product would wind up being a bane of my existence for years on MOTUC. It is funny, but 99.9% of the time I personally had nothing to do with almost any delay (from Faker to Demo-Man) but as the “public face” of the brand I tend to take the blunt of fans' anger and frustration (understandably so). I used to think, “Man, if they only knew how much I am working on this line in my spare time just to keep it going!” But nowadays I pretty much just accept that all delays and shipping and customer service issues are 100% my fault in the eyes of the customer. And you know what, that is totally fine. If it means people are angry at me personally but in the end we get more MOTU toys, then it is fine. But man, delays suck and on such a tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny line like MOTUC they are 100% inevitable."

How does THIS have anything to do with Faker?... Going off on another tangent again are we, Mr. Guru?

"mini-figures at retail" i really hope that's a hint for the mini masters!

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Heroic Warrior
    Lol at all the people taking his comments personally. He gets so much crap shoveled on him by some people, good for him for sticking up for himself.

These things are so fun to read, 200 bios is a crazy thing to fathom. Just think of all the figures we could have by 2016!

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    Interesting read except for this part below:

I find it amazing that he STILL doesn't understand what his job is. Yes Scott, you are a fan. But you are moreso the BRAND MANAGER and as such, it is you that we should direct our comments at. I don't think personal attacks are justified, but complaints and criticisms are. If you cannot handle any critiques, then it may not be the job for you. Outside of that tangent he went off on, it was a good read.

Also, we know it is a tiny line. Stop pointing it out and maybe one day it won't be.
    THIS....

These blogs should be a behind the scenes look on each figure. Not another opportunity to once again belabor the points about delays or the diminutive size of this line. I think we got it. Yes, there will be delays. Yes, we know this line is but a speck of sand on the vast beach that is Mattel's toylines

Some interesting insights, but frankly I think it could do with less of his editorial as it reads as very defensive.
    Most wanted: Blast attack, Entrapta, Lodar, Peekablue, Flutterina, and Tung Lashor

Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    "Delays in product would wind up being a bane of my existence for years on MOTUC. It is funny, but 99.9% of the time I personally had nothing to do with almost any delay (from Faker to Demo-Man) but as the “public face” of the brand I tend to take the blunt of fans' anger and frustration (understandably so). I used to think, “Man, if they only knew how much I am working on this line in my spare time just to keep it going!” But nowadays I pretty much just accept that all delays and shipping and customer service issues are 100% my fault in the eyes of the customer. And you know what, that is totally fine. If it means people are angry at me personally but in the end we get more MOTU toys, then it is fine. But man, delays suck and on such a tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny line like MOTUC they are 100% inevitable."

How does THIS have anything to do with Faker?... Going off on another tangent again are we, Mr. Guru?
    all the blogs are about more than just the figure in the title. Go back and read them all, you will find info about different things to do with the line in general
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Another interesting read!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 7.21.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    all the blogs are about more than just the figure in the title. Go back and read them all, you will find info about different things to do with the line in general
    More interesting info related MOTUC is always nice, but this is just another random paragraph about him getting blamed for delays. And again, about what he does for the line on his spare time. Does he really have to pat himself on the back in every single blog?

while true, my main point is, we get the figure, even if its late. Some people act like they have "lost" or "missed" out on a figure when its delayed. But really its not important to this, i really shouldnt have even brought it up lol
    Getting the figure late is not the whole point of complaints. It also has to deal with people's bank account, and the sudden movement of figures. January was a good example when Mattel switched things up and had a more expensive item. Sure, the same amount of money will be taken out eventually, but some people have to live week to week with their paychecks. And the subs contract states how many figures a customer should get in a year. Mattel failed to honor that in December, but they want customers to honor their end of the bargain by not canceling their subs.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

I would have bought Vikor and Demo-Man if they were called concept He-Man and Skeletor. Probably would have liked it better.

I also don't understand the comment about Demo-Man selling better that quarter then BP She-Ra and Snout Spout. They all sold out, if you made the same amount of all I'm sure they would have done the same.

I do really like these little blogs though.

J

Honestly, I credit the fact that Demo Man outsold Snout Spout and Bubble Power She-Ra not to the figure itself, but to the Alcala Skeletor head. I guarantee people bought multiple of that figure simply for that amazing head.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Proper grammar is serious bidness!!!

Definitely an interesting read and it made me appreciate the work he put into the bios a bit more. I just wish the bios could have had more Filmation in them from the start rather than being straight up 200x. At least we are getting some Filmation in the bios now though. Love how the Sorceress bio is full of "Origin of the Sorceress" goodness.

More Filmation!!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

If Demo-Man outsold Snout Spout and BP She-Ra, how comes there's Demo-Man stock for the sale tomorrow, but no SS or BP She-Ra?

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    We sold more Demo-Man figures than we did Snout Spout or Bubble Power She-Ra that quarter.
    As a Snout Spout hater, I have no doubt about the credibility of this statement. This was my favorite part of the whole "Faker" blog! Go figure!

I really like these Scott but I think you go a little overboard with continuously reiterating certain points.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    As much as I love the figures I do love & look forward to the bios.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Lizard-Man, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Nocturna, Masks of Power Demons, Horde Wraiths, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Snake Armor He-Man

These blog postings make a great read as a big fan of the line! I'll be very interested to hear TG discuss Battle Armor Faker and the 2-pack line in general.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
    Lol at all the people taking his comments personally. He gets so much crap shoveled on him by some people, good for him for sticking up for himself.

These things are so fun to read, 200 bios is a crazy thing to fathom. Just think of all the figures we could have by 2016!
    I agree. I mean, wow...the man thoroughly explained why the bios are written the way they are, whether you agree with the style or elements that were used, yet the man gets hated on still when he defends himself. I always thought it was said that somebody was soft if they didn't defend themselves. You know, I'm a big wrestling fan that goes on a lot of those backstage/insider wrestling sites and there is a term they like to use for certain fans call "trolling" or "trolls" and I see a lot of that. It might seem unprofessional, but I would have the biggest laugh if Scott snapped on someone here. I look forward to the day that someone says the wrong thing on hear and Scott fires back with a "that's not what your mother said last night" Or maybe he'll cut a classic Rock-ish promo and tell you all to take all your complaints, shine them up real nice, turn that sum"thing" sidways, and blah, blah, blah. lol
    Last edited by grenadaspice; March 1, 2012 at 03:44am. Reason: Spelling Errors

Heroic Warrior
    I enjoy hearing about the 'thought process' behind the decisions. It makes decisions I don't agree with easier to understand.

Some of the things here seemd pretty odd choices to make... and I would have gone a completely different way myself. 'Story line' may be cool.... but it's not really my cup of tea. I'd have preferred some kind of 'tech specs' listing their stats, personality and powers for all to see and understand...

The idea of 'writing poorly' to match 30 year old material that was ALSO written poorly... that just kind of blows my mind.

I can imagine it was a wacky idea in the office... but I'm not sure it worked in practice... (granted I make it a point never to criticize grammar or spelling.... I find it petty) But I really couldn't imagine actively TRYING to write poorly... And it also seems counter to their goal of 'seriousing up' joke characters like Orko.

Still.... it basically comes down to an inside joke for the Mattel office, and I'm cool with that. Knowing the reason behind is fun.

I think he keeps mentioning that it's a "tiny line" so he can keep raising prices and scare us all into thinking it's all going to end... any minute now. I assume this based on how this tactic has been used in every line managed by the current Matty team.

I know that MOTUC is not a HUGE line, but it's not suffering. If it were they wouldn't make it. I DO believe that he goes the extra mile with this line (and DC too). I appreciate that.

I'm actually a fan of the bios (for the most part). I'm a fan of hearing about the story of MOTUC's creation and the running of the line, but I have to be honest. I stopped reading when Scott started up, once again, with the woe-is-me/aren't I a hero bit...

It's your job, Scott. Delays, working late, etc. Anyone who does his or her job well... who is competitive, conscientious, etc., and works on salary (as opposed to a time-clock) puts in extra hours.

You receive anger not because of delays... you receive anger because you make statments like, "Subscriptions were cancelled because a lot of customers didn't have funds available on their credit cards," and "This is your King Hssss, people."

People understand delays. We don't mind. We do mind things like Digital River, and quality control, and occasional snarkiness.

Quote Originally Posted by galaxysurfer View Post
    Honestly, I credit the fact that Demo Man outsold Snout Spout and Bubble Power She-Ra not to the figure itself, but to the Alcala Skeletor head. I guarantee people bought multiple of that figure simply for that amazing head.
    Could also be that they didn't make as many Demo-Man figures as they made BP She-Ra (or even Snout Spout) figures?

BP She-Ra wasn't part of the subscription, but I bet they made a ton of her because most people needed at least one to create a She-Ra that could ride Swift Wind.

Snout Spout is an obscure MOTU figure, but he is a vintage MOTU figure, which in THIS line, gives him some sort of odd priority... I'd be surprised if he wasn't made in either the same numbers or more than Demo-Man.

EDIT

I, being soft-hearted, and a sucker for MOTU, decided to go back an keep reading.
    Last edited by bcrduke; March 1, 2012 at 06:39pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I know too much insider stuff... this is some serious revionist history going on here, people. The stuff about the bio-writing, etc.

Come on, Scott, we're not 5 year olds... why are you doing this? Though, from the looks of this thread, you've hooked a couple of people. So more power to you... but seriously, just be honest. Dont' romanticize things.
    Interesting... Would love to know more. I'm weary of TG's spin.
    Now Showing
    Blade
    Coming Attractions
    Baby Skeletor (just kidding)

Good read. I enjoyed it. I do agree that he seems a little defensive sometimes, but hey, the guy is under constant attack from us. I rarely see any thread on here that doesn't attack him for something eventually.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

I believe that we are going to see a minicomic book made of mud and snow packaged with our cardboard and banana peel Granamyr.

Seriously, where does this guy come up with these crazy analogies?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    I believe that we are going to see a minicomic book made of mud and snow packaged with our cardboard and banana peel Granamyr.

Seriously, where does this guy come up with these crazy analogies?
    OK, there's this machine. On one side you place a couple of words in. Then you have two buttons: "gibberish" and "analogies".

When you put random words into the machine and press "gibberish" you get the "TGisms". When you press "analogies" you still get "TGisms". Both buttons do the same thing.

We really need Spector Smilies
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    He keeps mentioning that it's a "tiny line" so he can keep raising prices and scare us all into thinking it's all going to end... any minute now. I assume this based on how this tactic has been used in every line managed by the current Matty team.

I know that MOTUC is not a HUGE line, but it's not suffering. If it were they wouldn't make it.

I'm actually a fan of the bios (for the most part). I'm a fan of hearing about the story of MOTUC's creation and the running of the line, but I have to be honest. I stopped reading when Scott started up, once again, with the woe-is-me/aren't I a hero bit...

It's your job, Scott. Delays, working late, etc. Anyone who does his or her job well... who is competitive, conscientious, etc., and works on salary (as opposed to a time-clock) puts in extra hours.

You receive anger not because of delays... you receive anger because you make statments like, "Subscriptions were cancelled because a lot of customers didn't have funds available on their credit cards," and "This is your King Hssss, people."

People understand delays. We don't mind. We do mind things like Digital River, and quality control, and occasional snarkiness.

Could also be that they didn't make as many Demo-Man figures as they made BP She-Ra (or even Snout Spout) figures?

BP She-Ra wasn't part of the subscription, but I bet they made a ton of her because most people needed at least one to create a She-Ra that could ride Swift Wind.

Snout Spout is an obscure MOTU figure, but he is a vintage MOTU figure, which in THIS line, gives him some sort of odd priority... I'd be surprised if he wasn't made in either the same numbers or more than Demo-Man.

EDIT

I, being soft-hearted, and a sucker for MOTU, decided to go back an keep reading.

I stopped again.

I know too much insider stuff... this is some serious revionist history going on here, people. The stuff about the bio-writing, etc.

Come on, Scott, we're not 5 year olds... why are you doing this? Though, from the looks of this thread, you've hooked a couple of people. So more power to you... but seriously, just be honest. Dont' romanticize things.
    Once again, Brian hits it right on the head. Its too bad that what could serve.as some great "behind the scenes" info is used as an opportunity to bring up these beleaguered topics.

As I think about it more, I'd also like to hear about what hard work the horseman and others have put into this line. This certainly isn't a one man show.
    Most wanted: Blast attack, Entrapta, Lodar, Peekablue, Flutterina, and Tung Lashor

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I stopped again.
    I'm honestly not surprised to hear about that; the whole tale does have a bit of Mary Sue fanfic feel to it. This is the self-aggrandizing I was talking about, where TG tends to overdo it in the patting himself on the back department. As for the facts presented, I had to roll my eyes at the first installment in a couple of places, where the guy who just came from working in the marketing department had no idea saying MOTU returning to "toy shelves" would be "misinterpreted" as meaning retail shelves (sorry, but I still firmly believe Mattycollector was the second choice for the MOTUC line after retailers turned it down; Mattel reps at the cons before the SDCC Matty announcement were even talking about case assortments, which has no relation to the Matty model). Of course, let's face it: any first person account of any chain of event is going to differ from another's; we might get a very different accounting from someone else who was there during the same events. Any lawyer will tell you no two witnesses see the same event the same way.

Some times slight tangents from the main subject add depth to the story; here, too often, they are either to make TG look better or to take some veiled cheap shots at the fans who criticize him. It makes an otherwise very interesting read a lot less enjoyable.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

It didn't take this thread long to devolve into the typical "biting the hand that feeds you" type of junk constantly posted here.

I guarantee you that the people shoveling the trash at Scott on a daily basis couldn't hand 1% of the criticism if it was coming their way. I'm sure the posts following this one will prove that out.

Let me ask you, who should I be a fan of? The guy that is most instrumental in bringing us the toyline of our dreams, or anonymous posters on a forum trying to tear those people down?