Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 141

Thread: TG Blog #6 Faker - I Hardly knew her!

  1. #51
    Heroic Warrior fireball13z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    North Atlanta
    Posts
    5,742
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    It didn't take this thread long to devolve into the typical "biting the hand that feeds you" type of junk constantly posted here.

    I guarantee you that the people shoveling the trash at Scott on a daily basis couldn't hand 1% of the criticism if it was coming their way. I'm sure the posts following this one will prove that out.

    Let me ask you, who should I be a fan of? The guy that is most instrumental in bringing us the toyline of our dreams, or anonymous posters on a forum trying to tear those people down?
    Ive said it before, but man i really wish this site had a "LIKE" button
    the ignore list is my new best friend

  2. #52
    Yuengling danielsan52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Posts
    2,230
    Quote Originally Posted by northcoast View Post
    it didn't take this thread long to devolve into the typical "biting the hand that feeds you" type of junk constantly posted here.

    I guarantee you that the people shoveling the trash at scott on a daily basis couldn't hand 1% of the criticism if it was coming their way. I'm sure the posts following this one will prove that out.

    Let me ask you, who should i be a fan of? The guy that is most instrumental in bringing us the toyline of our dreams, or anonymous posters on a forum trying to tear those people down?
    agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Danielsan

    Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

    https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

  3. #53
    Heroic Warrior labrat1881's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    Ive said it before, but man i really wish this site had a "LIKE" button
    LIKE for me too!...no matter what TG says, these people would post and bash him anyway

  4. #54
    Yuengling danielsan52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Posts
    2,230
    Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    Ive said it before, but man i really wish this site had a "LIKE" button
    I wish this site had a block feature, so I could block all the haters! Ignore feature doesn't work for me, I feel compelled to read the responses of those I've ignored, lol

    Quote Originally Posted by labrat1881 View Post
    like for me too!...no matter what tg says, these people would post and bash him anyway
    agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by danielsan52; March 1, 2012 at 11:18am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Danielsan

    Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

    https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

  5. #55
    Sorcerer of Zalesia bcrduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    10,049
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    It didn't take this thread long to devolve into the typical "biting the hand that feeds you" type of junk constantly posted here.

    I guarantee you that the people shoveling the trash at Scott on a daily basis couldn't hand 1% of the criticism if it was coming their way. I'm sure the posts following this one will prove that out.

    Let me ask you, who should I be a fan of? The guy that is most instrumental in bringing us the toyline of our dreams, or anonymous posters on a forum trying to tear those people down?
    Sigh... I don't recall anyone here commenting anonymously.

    I think people have been plainly open about their mounting fatigue when it comes to Scott Neitlich's penchant for sugar-coating the past.

    All cattiness aside, I've been MORE than generous with my praise of Scott when he does well by the brand.

    I'll be darned, though, if I'm going to sit by and read a recounting of fact as romanticism without pointing out such an attempt to romanticize.
    Last edited by bcrduke; March 1, 2012 at 11:52am.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

  6. #56
    Heroic Hyperborean NorthCoast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Sigh... I don't recall anyone here anonymously "trying to tear those people down."
    Please...

    bcrduke, you seem like a nice guy and I enjoy a ton of your posts, I really do. I don't want to start fights with you or anyone else on here, but you have to give the guy a break sometimes.

    People get upset when all they hear from companies is pre-packaged PR spin, and yes, I'm sure some of Scott's post have that in them and they should, he's a Mattel rep. But Scott has gone way out of his way to communicate with the fan-base in a way I've never seen before. Yes, he tries to put a happy face on things (that's his job) but I see him take responsibility for problems more often than not, and I'm sure most of the issues that come up are out of his control.

    Nobody is perfect, but Scott seems like a cool family man that frankly has accomplished what no one else before him could: he headed up a line of all-inclusive Masters figure, highly articulated and kick-ass! For that he gets a ton of praise from me and I can overlook a lot of the minor stuff. It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun!

  7. #57
    Chewer of Trollans
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Banished
    Posts
    206
    I really like the blog. If you're reading: Thanks, Scott.

  8. #58
    Heroic Hyperborean NorthCoast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by BCreviews4628 View Post
    There's a ignore feature for a reason however, which you might want to use if certain members bother you.
    I don't want to do that, seems like a kind of censorship to me. I don't have a problem getting on here and defending Scott when I think people are overreacting or spinning Scott's words to the negative (which happens often).

  9. #59
    Sorcerer of Zalesia bcrduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    10,049
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Please...

    bcrduke, you seem like a nice guy and I enjoy a ton of your posts, I really do. I don't want to start fights with you or anyone else on here, but you have to give the guy a break sometimes.

    People get upset when all they hear from companies is pre-packaged PR spin, and yes, I'm sure some of Scott's post have that in them and they should, he's a Mattel rep. But Scott has gone way out of his way to communicate with the fan-base in a way I've never seen before. Yes, he tries to put a happy face on things (that's his job) but I see him take responsibility for problems more often than not, and I'm sure most of the issues that come up are out of his control.

    Nobody is perfect, but Scott seems like a cool family man that frankly has accomplished what no one else before him could: he headed up a line of all-inclusive Masters figure, highly articulated and kick-ass! For that he gets a ton of praise from me and I can overlook a lot of the minor stuff. It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun!
    No one would blame you for looking on the bright side

    Believe me, I do try to do the same - hence my going back to read the blog again.

    I'm going to ask that you re-read the post you quoted, though, because it was edited.

    That being said, scott metzger and I, among many others, are, perhaps, a bit more jaded at this point... and can you really blame us?

    Head over to the Collection pictures thread for my more fun-loving, inner-child side lol!!
    Last edited by bcrduke; March 1, 2012 at 12:09pm.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

  10. #60
    Warrior of Evolution 13977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Posts
    6,345
    Wow this was a long one.
    I'm enjoying reading these but wish he'd stop trying to make that point about fans growing to accept the Keldor/Randor being brothers thing (seriously it must of been in all six blogs) as I really don't think it stands up. Keldor/Randor being brothers wasn't a brand new change it just confirmed something that was heavily hinted at in a vintage mini-comic. And it's not correct everybody hated it, in fact I think it was pretty much 50/50 with fans who liked it vs those who didn't. Sure some of them have grown to accept it but they're are still some who hate it.

    Quote Originally Posted by jhoward View Post
    Well, this finally explains why Faker has that terrible dirty black wash on his hair and armor that none of the other figures have.
    Think you've hit the nail on the head there with why the paint style on this figure was a little different to the rest.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

    Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

  11. #61
    Heroic Hyperborean NorthCoast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    That being said, scott metzger and I, among many others, are, perhaps, a bit more jaded at this point... and can you really blame us?
    I'm not trying to say you don't have the right to get frustrated when things go wrong, I just don't see how personal attacks on an individual is the way to solve it. I've done it too, no one's perfect and don't think I want to stifle debate or censor people's feelings. That's the last thing I'm saying. I just would like people to think about how they would feel if they where in Scott's shoes before they post. Would anyone say he has not done way more good than bad for the fans?

    Like I said, it's my hobby, I want it to be fun. If I was jaded, I'd quit. What's the point if it's making you unhappy.

  12. #62
    Sorcerer of Zalesia bcrduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    10,049
    Calling our criticisms "personal attacks" is a bit harsh. It's not like I've ever gone as far as some of the Matty-Facebook nut-jobs

    I mean, I'm the guy that felt bad at Power Con when the room went dead-silent upon the reveal of Spector. My heart literally sank a bit for the man.

    I just wish Scott would simply talk about the figures... Make it less about him... See this point:

    Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Think you've hit the nail on the head there with why the paint style on this figure was a little different to the rest.
    It's funny, when I read that Terry did the deco, I smiled, because I think Faker's deco is strikingly good

    Hearing stuff like that is fun.
    Last edited by bcrduke; March 1, 2012 at 12:19pm.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

  13. #63
    In disguise! Barbecue17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Shelby, NC
    Posts
    2,129
    Faker is definitely one of my favorite figures in the line. I've never really noticed the "style difference" or anything. I just reallylike the colors of the figure, the hair,and the design of all the circuits on the chest. Scott's idea about having the hair be removeable would have been very cool, though. Maybe someday we'll see this!
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

    "We have a Ram-Man"

  14. #64
    Sorcerer of Zalesia bcrduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    10,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    Faker is definitely one of my favorite figures in the line. I've never really noticed the "style difference" or anything. I just reallylike the colors of the figure, the hair,and the design of all the circuits on the chest. Scott's idea about having the hair be removeable would have been very cool, though. Maybe someday we'll see this!
    Agreed on all counts.

    Yeah - the removable hair idea is a great one
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

  15. #65
    Heroic Hyperborean NorthCoast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Calling our criticisms "personal attacks" is a bit harsh. It's not like I've ever gone as far as some of the Matty-Facebook nut-jobs
    Fair enough, but it certainly happens on this board as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I just wish Scott would simply talk about the figures...
    Sometimes I wish we would do the same.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; March 1, 2012 at 12:23pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  16. #66
    Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Penny Dreadful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts, US
    Posts
    3,248
    Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Wow this was a long one.
    I'm enjoying reading these but wish he'd stop trying to make that point about fans growing to accept the Keldor/Randor being brothers thing (seriously it must of been in all six blogs) as I really don't think it stands up. Keldor/Randor being brothers wasn't a brand new change it just confirmed something that was heavily hinted at in a vintage mini-comic. And it's not correct everybody hated it, in fact I think it was pretty much 50/50 with fans who liked it vs those who didn't. Sure some of them have grown to accept it but they're are still some who hate it.
    Very true! People were talking about Keldor/Skeletor well before 200X happened. 200X realized it onscreen, but the Keldor/Skeletor concept has been around for a long time.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England


    OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

  17. #67
    Sorcerer of Zalesia bcrduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    10,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    Very true! People were talking about Keldor/Skeletor well before 200X happened. 200X realized it onscreen, but the Keldor/Skeletor concept has been around for a long time.
    Good point.

    Personally, I love that relationship.

    It parallels Adam & Adora's relationship in a way.

    It fleshes out Miro...

    It makes Evil-Lyn even more interesting (especially with the new "secret husband" concept - I mean the lady not only lost out on her royal claim to the throne of Zalesia, but the throne of Eternos as well... No wonder she has a chip on her shoulder).
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

  18. #68
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sanford, FL
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Sigh... I don't recall anyone here commenting anonymously.

    I think people have been plainly open about their mounting fatigue when it comes to Scott Neitlich's penchant for sugar-coating the past.

    All cattiness aside, I've been MORE than generous with my praise of Scott when he does well by the brand.

    I'll be darned, though, if I'm going to sit by and read a recounting of fact as romanticism without pointing out such an attempt to romanticize.
    Brian, you mentioned earlier that you have some inside knowledge that may counter some of what Scott has said. I don't think you are alone on that. Why don't you all get together and tell your understanding of the events? I mean, is Scott really sugar-coating things besides past customer service screw-ups? (such sugar-coating of screw-ups is no doubt part of his job, however).

    Also, I do greatly appreciate much of what Scott does and has to say. I will agree with Val and others, however, that Scott could do a better job of simply telling the facts and not inserting comments about fans being slow to accept things, etc., etc. I would hope after almost 20 years of the Internet, as well as decades interacting with the overlapping fandoms of comic book aficiandos, action figure collectors, science fiction buffs, etc., that everyone knows that there are ton of crackpots out there.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

    Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

  19. #69
    Heroic Warrior jhoward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post

    I just wish Scott would simply talk about the figures... Make it less about him...
    I would say that the fans made it about him first.

  20. #70
    Sorcerer of Zalesia bcrduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    10,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Brian, you mentioned earlier that you have some inside knowledge that may counter some of what Scott has said. I don't think you are alone on that. Why don't you all get together and tell your understanding of the events? I mean, is Scott really sugar-coating things besides past customer service screw-ups? (such sugar-coating of screw-ups is no doubt part of his job, however).

    Also, I do greatly appreciate much of what Scott does and has to say. I will agree with Val and others, however, that Scott could do a better job of simply telling the facts and not inserting comments about fans being slow to accept things, etc., etc. I would hope after almost 20 years of the Internet, as well as decades interacting with the overlapping fandoms of comic book aficiandos, action figure collectors, science fiction buffs, etc., that everyone knows that there are ton of crackpots out there.

    I only mentioned that to color my reaction. It's hard to fully illustrate our reactions when we lose out on body language, tone of voice, etc.

    I don't mean to make it sound like there is some big Faker conspiracy lol. (that's kind of funny).

    I just mean to say that I like reading the hardcore facts!! Your points about leaving out the comments about fans being slow to accept change are good ones.

    Plus, I think he's off the mark about that. I think MOTU fans actually like change. Heck, we love the conflict!! . We let it all coexist!

    Quote Originally Posted by jhoward View Post
    I would say that the fans made it about him first.
    We are going to have to agree to disagree on that one. I don't think I want to go there
    Last edited by bcrduke; March 1, 2012 at 12:41pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

  21. #71
    Heroic Warrior fireball13z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    North Atlanta
    Posts
    5,742
    Ok I will say this is my issue with people "bashing" or "complaining" about Scott.

    Every single thing that goes wrong with this line, its his fault in most fans eyes, yes he is the face of MOTUC to us, but realistic people have to know he cant control everything that happens.

    Yet when anything good happens, those same people act like it happened in spite of Scott, like he does nothing good.

    So there are a good number of people that give Scott 100% blame but 0% credit for anything good.

    If you are going to call out the bad, you have to balance with the good, my friend bcrduke, does this most the time, but have started seeing a bit more "hurt" posts from you lately which I understand to a degree and even came to his defense vs Scott a couple times

    but again, there are people that just want to relish in their hate for Scott, which never made any sense to me, b/c lets be honest, these are TOYS, yes I know a lot of us have attachments to MOTU, but in the big picture they are not important.

    Hold your baby in your hands for the first time and you will see how crap like this doesnt mean a thing.
    the ignore list is my new best friend

  22. #72
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Westchester County, New York
    Posts
    2,042
    There are some who clearly hate Scott, Why? who knows. And there are some who do actually blame everything on him...which is wrong. My gripe is that he doesn't create the image of actually doing anything about the issues, even if they aren't directly his fault. All I see is him chiming in on these threads from time to time checking to see if there is any reason why he should post and defend either himself or the logistics of the line itself. Then there are his blogs and how he's always rubbing it in how he does this and that on his own time. Always reminding us how small the line is and how lucky we are that he saved it from it's demise. We don't hate him, but we are able to read between the lines and see him for what kind of person he is, or at least the way he chooses to convey himself online and at conventions. There are so many issues with this line whether you want to admit it or not, and changes need to be made. I don't know what his responsibilities actually are but I would imagine being the brand manager, he should do something to right the wrongs. Sugarcoating the problems, which he does, is unacceptable... and that's one of the reasons why he catches alot of flack. He has every right to bolg and revel in all his glory, but it sends out the wrong messege.

  23. #73
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,530
    I think that you have some fans who are simply tired.

    Some fans are tired of TG's empty promises to fix DR. Some fans think TG has an ego problem. Some fans give him hell for not hiring Emiliano or other fans. Some fans beef with him for writing these things instead of working on Digital River. Some are ****** at him for the 200X heads or lack of vintage POP elements or figures. Some fans still have figures that haven't shipped out yet. Some fans have QC issues and want him to answer for it.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  24. #74
    Court Magician The Mound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Victor, MT
    Posts
    59
    In a recent RGD, the observation was made that though things seem to get heated here, when than fans meet up at conventions and such everyone gets along great. There is a ton that is lost in translation when it appears in print form on the internet.

    It is also often said that Scott doesn't communicate well in the things that he writes, but most people seem to love the way he presents reveals, Q&As, walk-thrus, etc. on video.

    Might it be best that with everything we read here, whether it appears positive or negative, and from whomever it be, whether a regular fan or Toyguru himself, we keep context in mind? Maybe when we read something that Scott writes, it would be best if while we read it we imagine the passionate guy who leads PD through walk-thrus at conventions or makes occasional "appearances" on RGD? Maybe most of what Scott writes is not really egotistical and "snarky" (whatever that word means). Maybe it just comes off that way because of the medium it is presented in and preconceived notions that have been developed about certain people by certain people. Just a thought.

    Regarding "revisionist" history and presenting of the "facts": Presenting facts, unless they be mere numbers, will always be biased. Each of us have certain perspectives, and we will present facts, whether knowingly or not, shaped from those perspectives. Heck, even the "mere numbers" that I mentioned will likely be presented in a specific way shaped by our biases. What Scott is doing with this blog is presenting us with a story. Perhaps some of the details are a little off. Maybe he is purposefully lying, but maybe he isn't. Maybe he is presenting the story as he remembers it having unfolded.

    In a perfect world, Scott's commentary would not be the only one offered. It would be great to have Terry and at least one of the 4H write their own remembrances, simultaneously and completely independent from Scott's, and then have them all posted at the same time. Then, maybe they could all engage in conversation about the points of inconsistency? But this isn't a perfect world. I have enjoyed TG's commentary for what it is, and I look forward to future installments!

  25. #75
    grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,583
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I guarantee you that the people shoveling the trash at Scott on a daily basis couldn't hand 1% of the criticism if it was coming their way. I'm sure the posts following this one will prove that out.
    Actually, I've handled irate students on a regular basis for over 23 years, and done so face to face. And, although I'll admit I've lost my cool on rare occassions, I've tried to deal with those situations without the consistent snarky attitude we so often see from TG. It's called "professionalism," something any person represneting a company or organization should display, especially in written comments.

    Let me ask you, who should I be a fan of? The guy that is most instrumental in bringing us the toyline of our dreams, or anonymous posters on a forum trying to tear those people down?
    Not to be too picky here, but, between you and me, only one of us is anonymous.

    And the folks always hating on the "haters" also always make grand and sweeping exaggerations, just as you do, about them. I have posted many times praising TG for what he's done right, and come to his defense at times when I felt he was wrongly being blamed. But I will call him out when I believe he's doing something wrong. I'm tough, but I'm always trying to be fair, trying to see both sides. Some folks might want to try that.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •