Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: TG Blog #6 Faker - I Hardly knew her!

Agreed.

There is a bit of that generalization going on here. I haven't read any base, nasty inappropriate comments about Scott in this thread, but those of us who might be levying criticisms are, seemingly, put into that category

We all have to be careful not to generalize
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

I think the bulk of us see TG for the good and bad that he has done. Unfortunately, some people only hear things as they want to hear them.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by The Mound View Post
    In a recent RGD, the observation was made that though things seem to get heated here, when than fans meet up at conventions and such everyone gets along great. There is a ton that is lost in translation when it appears in print form on the internet.

It is also often said that Scott doesn't communicate well in the things that he writes, but most people seem to love the way he presents reveals, Q&As, walk-thrus, etc. on video.

Might it be best that with everything we read here, whether it appears positive or negative, and from whomever it be, whether a regular fan or Toyguru himself, we keep context in mind? Maybe when we read something that Scott writes, it would be best if while we read it we imagine the passionate guy who leads PD through walk-thrus at conventions or makes occasional "appearances" on RGD? Maybe most of what Scott writes is not really egotistical and "snarky" (whatever that word means). Maybe it just comes off that way because of the medium it is presented in and preconceived notions that have been developed about certain people by certain people. Just a thought.

Regarding "revisionist" history and presenting of the "facts": Presenting facts, unless they be mere numbers, will always be biased. Each of us have certain perspectives, and we will present facts, whether knowingly or not, shaped from those perspectives. Heck, even the "mere numbers" that I mentioned will likely be presented in a specific way shaped by our biases. What Scott is doing with this blog is presenting us with a story. Perhaps some of the details are a little off. Maybe he is purposefully lying, but maybe he isn't. Maybe he is presenting the story as he remembers it having unfolded.

In a perfect world, Scott's commentary would not be the only one offered. It would be great to have Terry and at least one of the 4H write their own remembrances, simultaneously and completely independent from Scott's, and then have them all posted at the same time. Then, maybe they could all engage in conversation about the points of inconsistency? But this isn't a perfect world. I have enjoyed TG's commentary for what it is, and I look forward to future installments!
    A brilliant post! Thank you for explaining it much better than I could.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Actually, I've handled irate students on a regular basis for over 23 years, and done so face to face. And, although I'll admit I've lost my cool on rare occassions, I've tried to deal with those situations without the consistent snarky attitude we so often see from TG. It's called "professionalism," something any person represneting a company or organization should display, especially in written comments.
    Are you comparing the fans to irate students?
    Last edited by NorthCoast; March 1, 2012 at 05:24pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Are you comparing the fans to irate students?
    Trust me, fans have NOTHING on a student who has a final in an hour and doesn't understand why you can't teach him the whole course before then...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Actually, I've handled irate students on a regular basis for over 23 years, and done so face to face. And, although I'll admit I've lost my cool on rare occassions, I've tried to deal with those situations without the consistent snarky attitude we so often see from TG. It's called "professionalism," something any person represneting a company or organization should display, especially in written comments.

So TG isn't allowed to "loose his cool" as you call it, but you are? Cut the guy some slack, he is entitled to be "snarky" once in a while after having to view some of the antics of people on the forums.
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    So TG isn't allowed to "loose his cool" as you call it, but you are? Cut the guy some slack, he is entitled to be "snarky" once in a while after having to view some of the antics of people on the forums.
    Frankly, no he's not. This isn't a once in a while thing. You can guarantee if a problem surfaces, he will at some point say something that makes the situation worse. He's demonstrated on more than one occasion that he doesn't deal with conflicts well.

As the face of the brand, turning the blame on customers and making snarky comments (whether unintentional or not) is not okay. Period. Some may be able to look the other way, but many rightfully refuse to let that kind of behavior go unaddressed. Scott Metzger put it best, its about the level of professionalism, or really lack there of that is the problem with his communications.
    Most wanted: Blast attack, Lodar, Peekablue, Twistoid, and Despara!

Actually No... NONE of them should lose their cool... If it's in person, there's no turning back... It's done, but TG HAS the advantage that he IS posting on a forum... that gives him time to reread his posts, fix typos, or rephrase stuff to avoid volatile reactions from his customer base. HE chooses not to when he should. He still IS Mattel's representative and this is a Tiny tiny line... Angering the tiny tiny customer base (roughly 200 people) is not a great idea on a tiny tiny line such as this one...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Heroic Warrior
    Toyguru rereading his posts? fixing typos? When has he ever done that???

Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    He doesn't reread his posts or fix typos because he's writing in the style of the vintage cardbacks!

Wow, seems like Scott's really aiming for MOTU martyrdom ...

So now the infantile syntax, poor wording and bad grammar are an homage ? Oh, come on ...
    ... are these blog entries also supposed to be inspired by the licensor kits then or what?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I guarantee you that the people shoveling the trash at Scott on a daily basis couldn't hand 1% of the criticism if it was coming their way. I'm sure the posts following this one will prove that out.
    I sincerely doubt this. I have had to deal with pesky, self-entitled and downright agressive customers in the past when I worked at a helpdesk. When you are on the job, you smile, you keep your cool and stay polite no matter how obnoxious people get. Thāt's called being professional.

No, as a brand manager he shouldn't. And if Scott can't handle this, he should not be involved with any communication towards the fanbase at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BCreviews4628 View Post
    Some do take every single chance they can get to trash Scott, but how can anyone really blame them?? The guy just KEEPS digging himself deeper with more lies, finger pointing, and self appreciation.
    Voilā, there you have it ...
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

I see this;

Scott: "I'm sorry, we can't discuss any figure past....."
    Fandom: "Geez Scott, why can't you act more like a fan, just like us...."

Become this;

Scott: "I am trying to do what the fans want so I made...."
    Fandom: Geez Scott, why can't you be more professional...."

All the time

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Wow this was a long one.
    I'm enjoying reading these but wish he'd stop trying to make that point about fans growing to accept the Keldor/Randor being brothers thing (seriously it must of been in all six blogs) as I really don't think it stands up. Keldor/Randor being brothers wasn't a brand new change it just confirmed something that was heavily hinted at in a vintage mini-comic. And it's not correct everybody hated it, in fact I think it was pretty much 50/50 with fans who liked it vs those who didn't. Sure some of them have grown to accept it but they're are still some who hate it.
    Yeah, I wonder what he thinks of 200x Fisto as Teela's father. He obviously didn't use that in MOTUC (unless their shipping together in the same month was some amazingly complex scheme), and a lot of fans hated it too. He's used a lot of other MYP ideas that were never realized in story, but he didn't keep that one. Meanwhile going back to clone Teela didn't exactly satisfy everyone either even though it was an older idea. I'm sure that lots of fans grow to like ideas/characters/names they initially hated, so I think his point is fair, but I don't like it being used to ignore or dismiss fan criticisms of new ideas. Some new ideas really aren't good, or just won't be embraced by most fans. There are still fans who hate that "new" Prince Adam identity thing! Them's crazy though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    I see this;

Become this;

All the time
    Yeah, but it's not like the entire fandom is on the same page on this matter. I'd rather have a manager that doesn't act like he's the world's greatest superfan or doesn't interfere with the creative direction of the line but strives to maintain the quality of the product and the name of the property he's responsible for.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

I'm not a big fan of Fisto being Teela's dad, but I hadn't connected the dots about them shipping together, kind of a fun nod.

Is the Teela/clone concept any better, not necessarily. But hey, I survived the Spidey Clone saga so I can deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Yeah, but it's not like the entire fandom is on the same page on this matter. I'd rather have a manager that doesn't act like he's the world's greatest superfan or doesn't interfere with the creative direction of the line but strives to maintain the quality of the product and the name of the property he's responsible for.
    I can understand that but do you know if he doesn't do that behind the scenes? I am sure Scott doesn't act like a superfan during 9-5.

I would love to see Scott just post with us as a fan, unfortunately there are people who would not let this happen.

I've been collecting MOTOC for a year now and may have had a different experience to some of you long-termers, so I figure I'd say things the way I see them:

First of all it's very clear that Mr Neitlich loves the Masters Of The Universe um, universe, and I know we're all really grateful to Mattel for giving us the toy line we have always wanted, and it does sadden me when people use every opportunity to bash the guy for things that aren't necessarily his fault, but man, he does seem to make it a habit to get people's backs up!

Scott, if you're reading this, try and cut down on the sarcastic and snappy comments, ok? I remember reading one response to a harmless fan question where you got completely the wrong end of the stick and replied with something like "haha nice try but that won't fool me" (I'm paraphrasing here.) when all they wanted was an item to be included in a future weapons pack.

You might want to get yourself a secretary. Or a ghost writer.

I like Faker's paint job, by the way. I wish Skeletor had a similar dark wash to his, um, purple bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Yuck View Post
    Frankly, no he's not. This isn't a once in a while thing. You can guarantee if a problem surfaces, he will at some point say something that makes the situation worse. He's demonstrated on more than one occasion that he doesn't deal with conflicts well.

As the face of the brand, turning the blame on customers and making snarky comments (whether unintentional or not) is not okay. Period. Some may be able to look the other way, but many rightfully refuse to let that kind of behavior go unaddressed. Scott Metzger put it best, its about the level of professionalism, or really lack there of that is the problem with his communications.
    Frankly, yes he is. He doesn't have to post answers to anything at all, but he does, snarky or not.

Really? So you're saying you would rather have some Mattel big wig that doesn't give two cents about the line? Yeah that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post

Seriously? Who cares?!? This is about toys, not ending world hunger. Give me a break.
    Last edited by danielsan52; March 1, 2012 at 09:17pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

Guys, let's please get this thread back on track. It's meant to be about the blog and the history of Faker, not about the author.

Thanks!
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    Guys, let's please get this thread back on track. It's meant to be about the blog and the history of Faker, not about the author.

Thanks!
    It is like this for all of the blogs. Maybe they will have to be *Protected* threads in the future

Us Matty Apologists™ need a place to worship

It is like this for all of the blogs. Maybe they will have to be *Protected* threads in the future
    I post all these blog topics and last time I tried to "protect" it, a mod edited my title and took out the protected i put in it
    the ignore list is my new best friend

All I have to say is...

NO RIO, WE RIOT!

I see this;

Become this;

All the time
    more like this...

Some Fans: "Geez Scott, why can't you act more like a fan, just like us...."
    Other Fans: We understand Scott

Become this;

Some Fans: Geez Scott, why can't you be more professional...."
    Other Fans: Thanks Scott!

Heroic Warrior

I think this is the key here.

For every fan who takes massive offense at every little comment... There's another who laughs at the joke that TG intended.

We've already seen that there very little that can be said that will defuse an irate fan. It simply isn't going to happen. I would try to defuse the situation with Humor too. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.

Fact remains, not ALL Fans are offended by his little jokes. Just some.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Yeah, I wonder what he thinks of 200x Fisto as Teela's father. He obviously didn't use that in MOTUC (unless their shipping together in the same month was some amazingly complex scheme), and a lot of fans hated it too. He's used a lot of other MYP ideas that were never realized in story, but he didn't keep that one. Meanwhile going back to clone Teela didn't exactly satisfy everyone either even though it was an older idea. I'm sure that lots of fans grow to like ideas/characters/names they initially hated, so I think his point is fair, but I don't like it being used to ignore or dismiss fan criticisms of new ideas. Some new ideas really aren't good, or just won't be embraced by most fans. There are still fans who hate that "new" Prince Adam identity thing! Them's crazy though.
    LOL

Yeah... I'm looking forward to the Teela entry! In fact... I'd love to see a lot more info on the bios themselves... For that matter, I'd still love some clarification for the first He-man bio. The whole techno vest, sword, running around in He-man's suit... before he channeled the power...

That raised a LOT of question that are still kind of fuzzy... Now that he's explained the idea behind the Bios in general... I hope gets into the specifics of why he went with various aspects and not others...

...No, as a brand manager he shouldn't. And if Scott can't handle this, he should not be involved with any communication towards the fanbase at all ...
    Sooooo, what toyline has a brandmanager that does communicate well to fans?
    Oh wait, what toyline has a brandmanager that communicates at all to fans?
    Why should a brandmanager communicate to fans? None of the others do?
    Apparently it is not part of the "generic brand manager" job since the others are not doing it.
    So why is Scott doing it?
    Because he cares about the fans or because he likes being in the spotlight?
    Maybe a bit of both?
    So it that a bad thing?
    What would you all prefer? What we have now or the absent brand manager/ communication other lines have?
    It is clear that this is (the most of) what we expect of Scott as it how he will play his role.

Just wondering

Good article. I like Faker role in new Thunder Punch He-Man bio.