Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (3/1/2012)

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    I don't really care for non-80s characters and figures, but the Snake Men are so awesome looking that I would happily buy repaint packs of Red/Green and Blue/Purple. Every Skittle color they come in. Taste the rainbow.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

*gasp* Asking for repaints of the Snake Men before we even have the first set in hand? This will take a development slot away from another character.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    *gasp* Asking for repaints of the Snake Men before we even have the first set in hand? This will take a development slot away from another character.
    Well...they need to figure out how to accomplish repaints first. I dont want ANY repaints taking ANY development slots from unique characters. They need to offer repaints outside of the sub or something. Test the waters...like they did with everything else.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Yes to more snakemen, blue / purple sounds pretty awesome.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Well...they need to figure out how to accomplish repaints first. I dont want ANY repaints taking ANY development slots from unique characters. They need to offer repaints outside of the sub or something. Test the waters...like they did with everything else.
    Maybe they could do a single carded reissue once in awhile so we don't have to drop $40+ every time they do a repaint.

Were there blue and purple snakemen somewhere???

There is a team at Mattel that handles the Q&As. I found this out last year at C2E2. At first it was all Scott with them and the facebook page. Then they installed a media team and Danielle (Fangirl) was heading it up but then she got promoted.
    Gaping holes in my collection: Regular old Teela, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    Once again Scott is extremely wrong- there is an active DEVELOPMENT going on and that's through Classic Media NOT Mattel so really he shouldn't even be saying anything and instead respond "Mattel has the public policy not to respond to unsubstantiated rumors".
    Scott doesn't answer the monthly Q&A's.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Once again Scott is extremely wrong- there is an active DEVELOPMENT going on and that's through Classic Media NOT Mattel so really he shouldn't even be saying anything and instead respond "Mattel has the public policy not to respond to unsubstantiated rumors".
    TG didn't even answer these! Put your spoon away!
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

Pure repaints should be sold in re-issue slots, especially army builders.

I would love blue and purple Snake Men! I've never been a big fan of the Snake Men (the entire faction), but I love those army builders.

Frosta will be the last of the PoP characters released in MOTUC.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    TG didn't even answer these! Put your spoon away!
    He answered several people at NYTF IN PERSON THE SAME WAY- *takes spoon out*

I have to agree. As much as I want a repaint of Catra and others, I don't want that taken away from development of other characters. Bonus figures were a good idea, but they were replaced by the quarterly figures and the Toys R Us Two packs were too expensive and gave me a DCU figurw which I don't want, so i didnt get them.

Perhaps they could reintroduce the bonus figure repaints, but only offer them a couple times a year to see how they do.
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

No melee comb for Frosta? Bummer. It's not like she needs a seperate weapon anyways.

I would rather have a new MOTU show come out first before a new POP show. With both shows in production at the same time of course.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Akai View Post
    No melee comb for Frosta? Bummer. It's not like she needs a seperate weapon anyways.

I would rather have a new MOTU show come out first before a new POP show. With both shows in production at the same time of course.
    I think people are confused (as I was initially as well), the project that Classic Media has been working on has been doing preliminary design photography on LIVE actors and unless they are going to use CGI I have a feeling it would be live action as opposed to the traditional shows.

Heroic Warrior
    I don't really care for non-80s characters and figures, but the Snake Men are so awesome looking that I would happily buy repaint packs of Red/Green and Blue/Purple. Every Skittle color they come in. Taste the rainbow.
    I like the idea of repaints, but I like the idea of giving us some new heads and weapons with each color set. That would be minimal tooling, as the same bodies could be reused, but it would give us more variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    ...and Ram-Man is going to be wearing a pink tutu and ballerina slippers.
    Battleground Ram-Man?
    Last edited by Skystalker; March 1, 2012 at 09:38pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Frosta will be the last of the PoP characters released in MOTUC.
    Nice try. Toyguru said there was another PoP figure coming this year after Frosta. Go back to talking to yourself about kittens again.

Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Battleground Ram-Man?
    Basically...or if they make the He-Ro: Son of He-Man Ram-Man...he will be "Black Swan" Rammy.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Is TG trying to keep a new She-Ra series secret or is Damien Tromel is lying to us?
    See below....

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    What would a guy from Classic Media gain by lying about that other than to build hype or something?
    See below...

Quote Originally Posted by MISSILE-TOE View Post
    In terms of the She-Ra thing. My best guess is Classic Media and Damien Trommel are putting together a pitch for the series, which then they will officially approach Mattel and see if they can come to some sort of agreement. Until Classic Media approaches Mattel, Mattel has no official involvment in a She-Ra series, so it's not lies by ToyGuru
    I think people are confused (as I was initially as well), the project that Classic Media has been working on has been doing preliminary design photography on LIVE actors and unless they are going to use CGI I have a feeling it would be live action as opposed to the traditional shows.

Ok.

So I've seen nothing in breakdowns (casting notices that go to agents, that many actors receive on the down-low... if you're a professional actor, as I am, it's in your best interest to receive breakdowns, even if you have an agent, as I do, because you can be more on top of what's going on). Believe me, I have been EXTREMELY watchful.

Now that doesn't mean that a pitch isn't being developed... or even a sizzle reel. Auditions wouldn't have to happen for that... but there is no way a pilot is being done, as a script would have circulated among people in the business (just like each version of the MOTU movie that seems to be perpetually in limbo has eventually surfaced).

I don't know where you heard that CM was doing "preliminary design photography" on live actors, vertigoink, but that usually doesn't happen unless actors have been cast. Otherwise it's a waste of money. Actors don't, and can't do that for free... unless the project is non-union, and I doubt any live-action She-Ra show would be live action.

As for Damien and his penchanct for using social media to promote pitches... well, that's what he's doing.

He's trying to create buzz, as EVERY hollywood "production associate" or "project manager" or "creative director" or... (the list goes on) does...

It's typical Hollywood behavior... and it's working for Damien in this case. He has several mega fans telling people that a She-Ra project is in the works.

Now that helps him get his higher-ups at Classic Media revved up... it helps bring in money from other producers... and perhaps most importantly, it helps make the project attractive to networks.

A few of my friends do what Damien does. Last year, one of my friends, who is an associate producer on Top Gear, developed a pitch for a reality show for the Discovery Channel about doctors who use Eastern and Western medicine to take care of their patients. She was approaching doctors, saying, "we are doing a show for the Discovery Channel, and want to film you, in your practice, etc. etc."

The reality was that Discovery heard her pitch, and said, "ok, go produce a sizzle reel (a demo) of what the show might look like... then we will decide if it's something we will consider producing with you."

She tried to get it together... it never happened, because she was also working on other projects, and they ended up working out more quickly.

So all of her buzz-making on twitter and facebook, etc., was for naught... but people had been under the impression that her show about these doctors was going to happen... when it was never really a project in the first place.

Classic Media owns the entertainment rights to POP... they probably have greater control of POP in media than MOTU, based on how POP was developed (the rights are complicated - as Filmation developed the idea with Mattel... unlike MOTU, which was Mattel's entirely and Filmation made a cartoon based on the toys).

I think Damien is using social media to create buzz.

One of his tweets said, "For the pride of Greyskull" -- if you can't get the saying right - the FAMOUS incantation - that ANYONE working on the property should know - it's probably not all that outlandish to question his credibility.

I do NOT want to see POP destroyed by some hollywood opportunist who may or may not care about the property...

Typically these people are using projects to climb a ladder... that'a ok... but I doubt his priority is to honor the property.

No pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Nice try. Toyguru said there was another PoP figure coming this year after Frosta. Go back to talking to yourself about kittens again.
    I don't think RockinHard really hopes that... I think he was just making a joke.
    Last edited by bcrduke; March 1, 2012 at 10:09pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    POP is not stopping in the MOTUC line and there is no She-Ra TV series or animated series in the works right now. I heard about the mention from Classic Media and honestly I have no idea what they are talking about. They also spelled Grayskull wrong and did not say "honor" but "pride" or something like that. Maybe they were floating a trial balloon or something. But there is most certainly no new show in the works.

Interesting post bcrduke.

I have a question you may know the answer to:

Wiki states: "Classic Media, LLC, is an American animation studio, production company and distributor of family programming and classic theatrical and made-for-television films"

Do you know what animation they have produced themselves as it states they are an "animation studio"?

BTW, when you go to their site:

http://www.classicmedia.tv/

She-Ra is prominently featured.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; March 1, 2012 at 10:21pm.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    See below....

See below...

Ok.

So I've seen nothing in breakdowns (casting notices that go to agents, that many actors receive on the down-low... if you're a professional actor, as I am, it's in your best interest to receive breakdowns, even if you have an agent, as I do, because you can be more on top of what's going on). Believe me, I have been EXTREMELY watchful.

Now that doesn't mean that a pitch isn't being developed... or even a sizzle reel. Auditions wouldn't have to happen for that... but there is no way a pilot is being done, as a script would have circulated among people in the business (just like each version of the MOTU movie that seems to be perpetually in limbo has eventually surfaced).

I don't know where you heard that CM was doing "preliminary design photography" on live actors, vertigoink, but that usually doesn't happen unless actors have been cast. Otherwise it's a waste of money. Actors don't, and can't do that for free... unless the project is non-union, and I doubt any live-action She-Ra show would be live action.

As for Damien and his penchanct for using social media to promote pitches... well, that's what he's doing.

He's trying to create buzz, as EVERY hollywood "production associate" or "project manager" or "creative director" or... (the list goes on) does...

It's typical Hollywood behavior... and it's working for Damien in this case. He has several mega fans telling people that a She-Ra project is in the works.

Now that helps him get his higher-ups at Classic Media revved up... it helps bring in money from other producers... and perhaps most importantly, it helps make the project attractive to networks.

A few of my friends do what Damien does. Last year, one of my friends, who is an associate producer on Top Gear, developed a pitch for a reality show for the Discovery Channel about doctors who use Eastern and Western medicine to take care of their patients. She was approaching doctors, saying, "we are doing a show for the Discovery Channel, and want to film you, in your practice, etc. etc."

The reality was that Discovery heard her pitch, and said, "ok, go produce a sizzle reel (a demo) of what the show might look like... then we will decide if it's something we will consider producing with you."

She tried to get it together... it never happened, because she was also working on other projects, and they ended up working out more quickly.

So all of her buzz-making on twitter and facebook, etc., was for naught... but people had been under the impression that her show about these doctors was going to happen... when it was never really a project in the first place.

Classic Media owns the entertainment rights to POP... they probably have greater control of POP in media than MOTU, based on how POP was developed (the rights are complicated - as Filmation developed the idea with Mattel... unlike MOTU, which was Mattel's entirely and Filmation made a cartoon based on the toys).

I think Damien is using social media to create buzz.

One of his tweets said, "For the pride of Greyskull" -- if you can't get the saying right - the FAMOUS incantation - that ANYONE working on the property should know - it's probably not all that outlandish to question his credibility.

I do NOT want to see POP destroyed by some hollywood opportunist who may or may not care about the property...

Typically these people are using projects to climb a ladder... that'a ok... but I doubt his priority is to honor the property.

No pun intended.

I don't think RockinHard really hopes that... I think he was just making a joke.
    How smart and perceptive you are . . .
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    POP is not stopping in the MOTUC line and there is no She-Ra TV series or animated series in the works right now. I heard about the mention from Classic Media and honestly I have no idea what they are talking about. They also spelled Grayskull wrong and did not say "honor" but "pride" or something like that. Maybe they were floating a trial balloon or something. But there is most certainly no new show in the works.
    And I rest my case Thank you, Scott, for clarifying. Lord knows people still won't believe this, but I'm glad you commented.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Interesting post bcrduke.

I have a question you may know the answer to:

Wiki states: "Classic Media, LLC, is an American animation studio, production company and distributor of family programming and classic theatrical and made-for-television films"

Do you know what animation they have produced themselves as it states they are an "animation studio"?
    The only one I know of is the new Voltron cartoon... which I still haven't seen.

On June 7, 2010, Variety announced WEP Productions, Classic Media and Kickstart Entertainment's plans to air a 26 episode season of Voltron Force in 2011 to coincide with the 25th anniversary of the original series as well as Mattel's plans to release a toyline to tie-in with the 25th anniversary of the original series and the launch of the new series.
    I don't think it's an accident that Mattel is producing the toys Nicktoons is the network... Maybe Mattel and Nickelodeon should do what Hasbro and Discovery did.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    How smart and perceptive you are . . .
    Orrrrr... maybe he WAS just being a punk brat LOL!!!
    Last edited by bcrduke; March 1, 2012 at 10:24pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    Gahhh.. it's Queen Marlena all over again...

I'll go on record that I have ZERO interest in more snakes. Same with Palace guards and avions, merfolk or anything else that clutters the battlefield.

The ONE exception to this... is Horde troopers. I still want a 2-3 pack of Horde troopers, but I don't need a bunch of others. Especially if each set is over $40...

For some reason, the thought of a live action She-Ra show reminds me of the old '70s Wonder Woman series with Linda Carter that I used to watch as a kid. Anyone remember that? I was pretty young when that was on.

The only one I know of is the new Voltron cartoon... which I still haven't seen.
    Neither have I, but I've been catching up on the Avengers cartoon on Netflix, which is great!
    Last edited by NorthCoast; March 1, 2012 at 10:29pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Sort of like someone making an error involving an important properties key player where the original mini-comic He-Man was named Oo-Larr due to improper spelling on a legal filing...

And I rest my case Thank you, Scott, for clarifying. Lord knows people still won't believe this, but I'm glad you commented.

I don't think it's an accident that Mattel is producing the toys Nicktoons is the network... Maybe Mattel and Nickelodeon should do what Hasbro and Discovery did.

Orrrrr... maybe he WAS just being a punk brat LOL!!!
    Once again Scott Neitlich is not in the new media department at Mattel, nor is he in such a department ANYWHERE so besides his answer on the end of the She-Ra section of MOTUC which nobody believed anyway, I'll take news from Damien over Guru' any day. Also Duke I never said they were casting anything- I'm just going off of messages I wrote to Damien that were answered in private where he stated "they had just finished wrapping up on shooting with actors" which I believe he also mentioned publicly as a tweet so who knows- maybe Jim would know more as he's kept up on this for far longer than I have. Also there are instances like the Mortal Kombat mini-series that began with shooting Jerri Ryan and Michael Jai White in a "teaser" trailer that they MADE NO MONEY OFF OF and it was union actors and talent as a favor to friends of theirs. As a result, this got Warner to green light the online mini-series and the movie they are currently developing.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I wonder what Mattel legal thinks of Scott saying ANYTHING about another companies projects as the standard answer is supposed to be "we are not at liberty or we do not answer unsubstantiated rumors".
    Last edited by vertigoink; March 1, 2012 at 10:55pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost