Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I miss the cheap knock-offs in the current MOTUC era

Heroic Warrior

I miss the cheap knock-offs in the current MOTUC era

The cheap knock-offs (and Remco) to use as roster-building fodder. Sure, there are some other current figure lines that come close to matching the scale of the Classics, but there was something about all those lines back then that were designed to look JUST like MOTUs, that could be utilized for villagers, new characters, armies, etc. Totally miss that.

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison Carter View Post
    The cheap knock-offs (and Remco) to use as roster-building fodder. Sure, there are some other current figure lines that come close to matching the scale of the Classics, but there was something about all those lines back then that were designed to look JUST like MOTUs, that could be utilized for villagers, new characters, armies, etc. Totally miss that.
    Since they were rip-offs, I don't see why Mattel couldn't just absorb them into this line. Some Fuerza-T and Galaxy Warrior variants would be pretty cool.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Yeah, I fully agree with this. One of my favourite customs is this one from Masterenglish and reviewed by Poe Ghostal;

Draego-Man is an awesome addition to this line but he does look a similar to Dragoon of the Galaxy Warriors.

Personally, I'd like to see Ygg done in Classics style!!!
    Last edited by MasterCollector; March 5, 2012 at 10:06pm.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

i hated those knock offs as a kid, still don't understand how people feel so positively about them
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I had some figures from the Sun-Man and Blackstar lines that went really well with my MOTU's. Backyard Legends is making a Prince of Crystal figures that is almost as tall as MOTUC's. I'm waiting for him to be released to start adding some outside of MOTUC figures into collection.

30th Anniversary characters remind me of some of the old competitor lines as well.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Arak.jpgWarlord.jpgHERCULES-figure.jpg

These guys could've easily fit since they were from DC Comics...

Quote Originally Posted by slackrguy View Post
    I had some figures from the Sun-Man and Blackstar lines that went really well with my MOTU's. Backyard Legends is making a Prince of Crystal figures that is almost as tall as MOTUC's. I'm waiting for him to be released to start adding some outside of MOTUC figures into collection.

30th Anniversary characters remind me of some of the old competitor lines as well.
    Hey do you remember the Filmation episode of He-man when they quickly showed the statue of Blackstar in the background...

I have seen pictures of that statue either here or at Mattycollector forums but I have not actually sought out that episode. I believe the current stance is that they will not make that figure just because it was a statue....

However, perhaps we can get that guy into the 2014 fan's choice catagory...

Oh, and Warlord and Arak rock, I wish we'd get them in MOTUC style/scale.

Oh what about these....

olmec_sun-man_team.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    i hated those knock offs as a kid, still don't understand how people feel so positively about them
    For the most part, you have to think of them as background characters or one's that appear in only a single episode. There were only so many MOTU figures available back then so these knock-offs were really nice because they were cheap and they added to your Eternian population.

I don't think many people who had them ever considered them better or replacements for real MOTU characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemisythe View Post
    Oh what about these....

olmec_sun-man_team.jpg
    Pig-Head looks 100% FILMATION!
    Last edited by MasterCollector; March 5, 2012 at 11:15pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCollector View Post
    Since they were rip-offs, I don't see why Mattel couldn't just absorb them into this line. Some Fuerza-T and Galaxy Warrior variants would be pretty cool.
    Exactly. Steel back the copyright infringements. I'm all for it!

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    Exactly. Steel back the copyright infringements. I'm all for it!

Fuerza-T, from what I read, aren't knock offs. They did use the same molds, which they purchased from Mattel, and somehow Mattel legally has access to those characters for MOTUC now.

Galaxy Warriors however, were knock offs, so there's that gray area where no one can cross too far into each other's territory.
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Heroic Warrior
    For the most part, you have to think of them as background characters or one's that appear in only a single episode. There were only so many MOTU figures available back then so these knock-offs were really nice because they were cheap and they added to your Eternian population.

I don't think many people who had them ever considered them better or replacements for real MOTU characters.
    Yeah, even then, I knew the quality wasn't up to Mattel's, but it was nice to have some fodder characters who didn't already have backstories. I think of any of them, my favorites of this nature were the Road Warriors from the Remco AWA line. They looked perfect as evil barbarians serving Skeletor.

Anyway, would love to see something of that nature make a comeback, be it a slightly cheaper generic kind we'd find in Dollar General or something a bit more elaborate, maybe from a company like Spy Monkey.

I'm sure if a comapny wanted to they could lease the molds from Mattel or something like that.

I agree completely! I loved Blackstar, although I consider that line slightly less of a knock-off than some others.

Remco was interesting because the pose of the characters was so very MOTU, but there they were popping up with licensed characters and what I felt was decent quality. I really liked my Warlord and my brother's...Arzon I think?

Where I'm going with this and why I can relate is that I just picked up NECA's Rocky figures. They are some of the most impressive realistic movie sculpts I've ever seen. While enjoying them, I suddenly remembered and missed my old Remco Rocky with his He-Man style build.

I think most of all, these lines presented something that was somewhat compatible with MOTU, whereas these days MOTUC is alone in it's distinct style, with just a few exceptions.

Dude they can't even absorb their own designs like Horde mummy and Horde Witch.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemisythe View Post
    Arak.jpgWarlord.jpgHERCULES-figure.jpg

These guys could've easily fit since they were from DC Comics...
    Hey! I had that Hercules as a kid. Still have it actually, and it does go with my MOTU stuff. Neat!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-O View Post
    Fuerza-T, from what I read, aren't knock offs. They did use the same molds, which they purchased from Mattel, and somehow Mattel legally has access to those characters for MOTUC now.
    One word: FELINOR!

Felinor Card Art 1.gif

my favorites of this nature were the Road Warriors from the Remco AWA line.
    I LOVED those guys! Everyone, including my MOTU figures were the recipients of the Doomsday Device/Flying Clothesline!

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Dude they can't even absorb their own designs like Horde mummy and Horde Witch.
    Wait! I haven't heard about this?! Is there a problem with using these Horde characters in the Classics line? We have Spector and Laser Lot for Gygor's sake!!!
    Last edited by MasterCollector; March 6, 2012 at 01:22am.

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    One word: FELINOR!

I LOVED those guys! Everyone, including my MOTU figures were the recipients of the Doomsday Device/Flying Clothesline!

Wait! I haven't heard about this?! Is there a problem with using these Horde characters in the Classics line? We have Spector and Laser Lot for Gygor's sake!!!
    YES! FELINOR!!!

As for the Horde Mummy and Concept Witch, I believe there's an issue with it, as the art was not in Mattel's archives, but that of the artist, so they can't totally prove when it was done and if it was for official business.
    I love an all inclusive canon!

I always loved them. I was younge enough to not understand why there were sometimes "He-Man" stuff that I could never find packaged as "He-Man" stuff. It never quite occured to me that they were "knock offs" but I always thought they were other companies making stuff for the line. And point in fact, they basically were.

As a Child I understood that, and loved that stuff. Enriched my play.

The cheap knock-offs.
    Oh, I guess you haven't heard of The Mighty Spector and Sir Laser-Lot
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior ShowerPowerFrosta's Avatar
    I only had two of them as a kid, and still have them. I loved them then and love them now. They were cheap and had no back story, so they could be anyone I wanted them to be.

Quote Originally Posted by ShowerPowerFrosta View Post
    I only had two of them as a kid, and still have them. I loved them then and love them now. They were cheap and had no back story, so they could be anyone I wanted them to be.

Yeah, a good imagination could make those characters awesome. It's something that's sorely lacking in children today.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeEyes22 View Post
    Remco was interesting because the pose of the characters was so very MOTU, but there they were popping up with licensed characters and what I felt was decent quality.
    They were definitely decent quality, not Mattel-level, but much better than the true knock-offs (hence why I separated them from the rest up there).

Certainly, any smaller company attempting a similar feat today wouldn't have the luxury of some of MOTUC's features (the number of joints, perhaps, or the removable head feature). Then again, the ones back then lacked the unique action features of MOTU anyway.

Heck, there's an idea even. Instead of selling full figures, they could just sell completely new heads, similar to Kosse's customs, but instead of take-offs of actual Mattel properties, make them completely original. That way you can remove, say, Mer-Man's head and armor, pop the new head on and, boom, instant new character. Would be the next logical step after the completely new weapons by Spy Monkey, etc.