Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 109

Thread: MOTUC Director's Commentary #7:Dear Legal, it is "Zodac" not "Zodiac". This is not a

  1. #76
    ORGER of the North™ Tuukka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,530
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I mean that for some fans, the Alcala Skeletor head was more valued than the actual figure it came with.
    Yeah maybe for some fans, but only for a few. Cool head tought.
    MOTUC needs:Tung Lashor, Rio-Blast and rest of the Hordes!

    WANTED: Minicomics !!! Swords NEEDED !!! MY FEEDBACK

  2. #77
    Heroic Warrior orbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,386
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    This is how I interpreted it as well. So, I was a bit confused people would find it offensive. If anything, he seemed to be implying that he realized it doesn't work with Eternia. I suppose he might not have known how else to phrase it because, as you say, African American is usually the most accepted term - even when it's perhaps not precisely accurate or preferred by those that it is being used to describe. He could have said "black" or "person of color" or "brown" but all of these can be controversial as well. So maybe he thought this was the safest course of action?
    So, how is it proposed that you say it? Black? Doesnt sound right when you have peoples of many different colors, like blue, red, orange, green, purple, etc. Black in this context would be black, like the color of this type, so would we say brown? I dont know. In the cartoon they call themselves humans. Is that an Earth comment? I dont know why people get upset about this, especially since it was evident that it was not Scott's term, but what the creators wanted in the past.

  3. #78
    Heroic Warrior Jon14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by cayman shen View Post
    No, dude, he was wrestling with the PC language. We're supposed to say "African-American," but there's no Africa or America on Eternia. Get it? "Africa? America? On Eternia?"
    This is not a PC issue. This was the exact statement: "In an effort to diversify the cast, the show’s creators wanted to add an African American (on Eternia?) character." I don't think the issue is about what they called the character. Toy Guru, and the rest of America, understood that Mattel believed they needed a black character to diversify. No one, including myself, has an issue with them or Guru calling that character an African American, because we all understand what Mattel was asking for—a black character. It's not like they were going to put African American in the bio! We would all understand what Mattel meant if they asked for an Asian, Native American, or even an Iceland looking character. It might not sound PC but we'd know what they were talking about—diversity. So the "Really?" remark was supposed to be funny? Or was Toy Guru sincerely confused? I'm pretty sure he was not confused, nor do I believe he was being funny. I think he was being cynical shooting from the hip. Let me ask this question: If we replace African American with "Black" how would that statement read? Now understand there is nothing wrong with either term, but if you replace African American with Black, "(on Eternia?)" looks and sounds off doesn't it? TG is not a racist. I just felt it was unthoughtful, ignorant and unnecessary. Again, this is not a PC issue. I'm thankful for TG. He's done a lot of good work. He's a public figure now and needs to be more responsible with his words. He could have easily left out the "really?" remark and it wouldn't have taken anything away from the read. And I'm sure knowing how someone could have taken it, if he had to do it all over again, he would omit it. Of course Toy Guru could just clarify himself. Hopefully here and not in his next blog.
    Last edited by Jon14; March 8, 2012 at 06:34pm.

  4. #79
    Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,971
    I just wanna know hat the rest of the title is 'Dear Legal, it is "Zodac" not "Zodiac". This is not a............'

    ka
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

    http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

    [/CENTER]

  5. #80
    Quester JonWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    14,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    I just wanna know hat the rest of the title is 'Dear Legal, it is "Zodac" not "Zodiac". This is not a............'

    ka
    LOL - Yes, I kept waiting for this to be brought up!
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

  6. #81
    No Rio? We Riot! TheFallen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    I just wanna know hat the rest of the title is 'Dear Legal, it is "Zodac" not "Zodiac". This is not a............'

    ka
    Dear Legal, it is "Zodac" not "Zodiac". This is not a typo

  7. #82
    Heroic Fan ART Mod! JafariStew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    3,582
    To this day Zodac is still what I consider one of the "Perfect MOTUC updates.", & he still remains one of my favorite figures from the entire line...
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

    JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 11.2.14!!

    MOTUC RECORD


    MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

    "Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

  8. #83
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,693
    Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    I just wanna know hat the rest of the title is 'Dear Legal, it is "Zodac" not "Zodiac". This is not a............'

    ka
    That's MY fault, Ka. I ran out of character space for the title.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

  9. #84
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    2,829
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon14 View Post
    This is not a PC issue. This was the exact statement: "In an effort to diversify the cast, the show’s creators wanted to add an African American (on Eternia?) character." I don't think the issue is about what they called the character. Toy Guru, and the rest of America, understood that Mattel believed they needed a black character to diversify. No one, including myself, has an issue with them or Guru calling that character an African American, because we all understand what Mattel was asking for—a black character. It's not like they were going to put African American in the bio! We would all understand what Mattel meant if they asked for an Asian, Native American, or even an Iceland looking character. It might not sound PC but we'd know what they were talking about—diversity. So the "Really?" remark was supposed to be funny? Or was Toy Guru sincerely confused? I'm pretty sure he was not confused, nor do I believe he was being funny. I think he was being cynical shooting from the hip. Let me ask this question: If we replace African American with "Black" how would that statement read? Now understand there is nothing wrong with either term, but if you replace African American with Black, "(on Eternia?)" looks and sounds off doesn't it? TG is not a racist. I just felt it was unthoughtful, ignorant and unnecessary. Again, this is not a PC issue. I'm thankful for TG. He's done a lot of good work. He's a public figure now and needs to be more responsible with his words. He could have easily left out the "really?" remark and it wouldn't have taken anything away from the read. And I'm sure knowing how someone could have taken it, if he had to do it all over again, he would omit it. Of course Toy Guru could just clarify himself. Hopefully here and not in his next blog.

    Nope... gotta say your off on this.

    Not the least of which is because this is an OLD joke. The African American in a world with no Africa or America has been brought up in every thread involving Clamp Champ and Zodak for years now.

    He was just drawing attention to the fact that he KNEW there was no Africa or America there when he used the term 'African-American'... Because lets face it, after every other 'black character' thread... it was OBVIOUS that if HE didn't acknowledge it... SOMEONE would have brought it up.

    Also on the subject of Clamp Champ... There should be no Shock and Awe that people thought the cast of eternia should be diverse.... Because they made that decision in the 80's!! Eternia is already known for having both Black guys, and even Asian guys (despite no Asia on this world...)

    There was nothing there worth getting offended over. Unless you hate the idea of Zodac being redesigned to fit a 'token' slot... THAT could be seen as offensive... but if they really wanted to stick with the 8-12 back characters... I can't really blame them, and Zodac was pretty much a blank slate.

  10. #85
    Heroic Warrior Jon14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Nope... gotta say your off on this.

    Not the least of which is because this is an OLD joke. The African American in a world with no Africa or America has been brought up in every thread involving Clamp Champ and Zodak for years now.

    He was just drawing attention to the fact that he KNEW there was no Africa or America there when he used the term 'African-American'... Because lets face it, after every other 'black character' thread... it was OBVIOUS that if HE didn't acknowledge it... SOMEONE would have brought it up.

    Also on the subject of Clamp Champ... There should be no Shock and Awe that people thought the cast of eternia should be diverse.... Because they made that decision in the 80's!! Eternia is already known for having both Black guys, and even Asian guys (despite no Asia on this world...)

    There was nothing there worth getting offended over. Unless you hate the idea of Zodac being redesigned to fit a 'token' slot... THAT could be seen as offensive... but if they really wanted to stick with the 8-12 back characters... I can't really blame them, and Zodac was pretty much a blank slate.
    Then just say "black" and then there is no issue. Black is PC in the black community. If you say black then you won't have to follow it with the "on Eternia?" remark. And I have to assume that TG knew what they meant when they wanted an "African American". He knew they were requesting someone of a darker complexion. The sentence should have read like this :"In an effort to diversify the cast, the show’s creators wanted to add a black character." Or "In an effort to diversify the cast, the show’s creators wanted to add an African American looking character." My issue is only with the "(On Eternia?)"

  11. #86
    Heroic Hyperborean NorthCoast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,979
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Nope... gotta say your off on this.

    Not the least of which is because this is an OLD joke. The African American in a world with no Africa or America has been brought up in every thread involving Clamp Champ and Zodak for years now.

    He was just drawing attention to the fact that he KNEW there was no Africa or America there when he used the term 'African-American'... Because lets face it, after every other 'black character' thread... it was OBVIOUS that if HE didn't acknowledge it... SOMEONE would have brought it up.

    Also on the subject of Clamp Champ... There should be no Shock and Awe that people thought the cast of eternia should be diverse.... Because they made that decision in the 80's!! Eternia is already known for having both Black guys, and even Asian guys (despite no Asia on this world...)
    This is correct, it's been an on going debate on here for years and even talked about on Gooble. No need to make it something it's not.

  12. #87
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    2,829
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon14 View Post
    Then just say "black" and then there is no issue. Black is PC in the black community. If you say black then you won't have to follow it with the "on Eternia?" remark. And I have to assume that TG knew what they meant when they wanted an "African American". He knew they were requesting someone of a darker complexion. The sentence should have read like this :"In an effort to diversify the cast, the show’s creators wanted to add a black character." Or "In an effort to diversify the cast, the show’s creators wanted to add an African American looking character." My issue is only with the "(On Eternia?)"

    This is of course the correct way to do it.

    Unfortunately... there are a LOT of people who do NOT like the term 'black'.... People find offense at the smallest thing, that sometimes it's like walking through a minefield... Personally... I HATE the term African American.

    1) What about black people who are NOT American?

    2) I once worked for a guy who's father came over from North Africa... Whitest guy I ever saw.

    Therefore as a descriptive term... it sucks. Any time a word does not adequetly convey what you want it to... It's time to find a better one.

    But I have seen white guys attacked for using the generic 'Black' term and not 'African American'.... so he was just trying to cover his tracks there. Despite the illogical use of the term.

  13. #88
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mound View Post
    Exactly! It's like a few people are going out of their way to purposefully find fault with things. I thought that the way he worded it was the best way that he could and still convey what he was trying to convey. I'm all for criticism when it is appropriate, but throw the guy a bone here.
    Um, it also feels like someone is going out of their way to purposefully create strife among people who may be offended.

    Personally, as I posted above - I understood what he meant, but I also immediately thought of various interpretations that might be made - it's one of those comments that he should have just not made. It may have been the "best" way to make it, but the point would have been made without his side comment, which was rife for people to get PO'd about. It simply shouldn't have been made at all .

  14. #89
    Heroic Warrior Tribal Spaceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Wales, UK
    Posts
    411

  15. #90
    Yuengling danielsan52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Posts
    2,241
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon14 View Post
    African Americans on Eternia? That was an ignorant remark. Are there Europeans on Eternia? We're not talking about cultures or ethnicities. We're talking about complexion. That's all. I'm sure on Eternia there are darker skinned people that aren't from Africa, just like on our planet. In fact, there are orange, green, purple, and you name it, and they're all considered Eternians like we're considered Earthlings. They needed color diversification back then and even today. Someone's skin being darker doesn't change their character in anyway, anymore than you getting a tan would mess with yours. I am sympathetic to the whole nostalgia thing, so I can understand that. I just hate the whole there are no African Americans on Eternia garbage. Just plain ignorant.
    Clearly he meant that there is neither an Africa nor an America on Eternia. Only a fool would think he was being racist.
    Danielsan

    Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

    https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

  16. #91
    HD figures on youtube
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Eternia
    Posts
    1,002
    Clearly he meant that there is neither an Africa nor an America on Eternia. Only a fool would think he was being racist.
    I'm not going to call anyone names, but I agree with the first part. People are really twisting his words around.

  17. #92
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by BCreviews4628 View Post
    I'm not going to call anyone names, but I agree with the first part. People are really twisting his words around.
    And there we have it, this has become one of the "complaining about complainers are complaining more than the complainers" threads.

    Not that I'm complaining.

  18. #93
    HD figures on youtube
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Eternia
    Posts
    1,002
    And there we have it, this has become one of the "complaining about complainers are complaining more than the complainers" threads.

    Not that I'm complaining.
    Haha, hey why am I the one that got called out? I was just replying!

  19. #94
    Heroic Warrior Jon14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Clearly he meant that there is neither an Africa nor an America on Eternia. Only a fool would think he was being racist.
    Oh boy. Well I will not resort to name calling. If you had read my other post you would know that I don't think TG is a racist in any way. And I was not offended by his remarks. Just thought that he needed to show more care on a subject that can be lightning rod as you can see by this thread

  20. #95
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by BCreviews4628 View Post
    Haha, hey why am I the one that got called out? I was just replying!
    Just trying to inject a little levity.

  21. #96
    HD figures on youtube
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Eternia
    Posts
    1,002
    Just trying to inject a little levity.
    HERE????? How dare you!

  22. #97
    Heroic Warrior DO4M's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    4,148
    I did get the joke, but the problem is that this is "the Evil Toyguru" speaking... Everything he says will offend people "just cause he's Mattel"... Personally he should have elaborated on that remark...
     
    (On Eternia? But there is no Africa or America on Eternia...)
    to avoid any misunderstanding...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

  23. #98
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    77
    Quick question, where can I find the original Director Commentary posts by Scott? Are they first put up on Facebook, mattycollector, some other blog?

  24. #99
    Heroic Warrior DO4M's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    4,148
    He posts them on Matty...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

  25. #100
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    1,880
    Um , Clamp Champ and Malaktha were black

    Aren't most from North Africa arabs....not really black per se ?
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

    Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •