Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 200X - Does this buzzword annoy anyone else?

Heroic Warrior Science Friction's Avatar
    No, why would it bother anyone? I think 200X is a great moniker, and has more recognizability than MYP. Both are fine with me and I use them both, but I prefer to use 200X.

Yea 200X sucked it should be the "2002 Series"

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Doesn't annoy me at all. Were you a vintage fan, or did you come to know Masters of the Universe through just the 200x series? If that were the case, I could understand a little, if it was your first introduction to MOTU, like you feel it should be given more respect or recognition than just a four character 'word'.

well we could name it after the era that it was in but then it would be called "The Noughties MOTU line"
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

I personally favor using 200X when referring to the MYP He-Man series.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Although it does sound a little over-extravagant and "hey look, we're sounding modern now" for my personal liking ... ... I can live with it. I've heard many theories over its origins, but I always understood that it came about due to the staggered release dates of the new line. There were several "names" for the 2000s version of MOTU "modern / hyper-anime / we won't even go there in this thread", but it's 200x that seems to have stuck.
    I don't love it, but I guess it does the job of identifying the era of the franchise that we're talking about.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

The only other plausible name is the Millennium Series, which doesn't roll off the tongue any more easily, and I think sounds just as silly, but as pointed out, MYP only refers to the cartoon, MVC only refers to the comic. If you want a term that encompasses toys, 'toon, and comics of that era, most of us call it 200X. You can call it Susan if you like.
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

I helped coin the phrase... ..was one of the 1st to use it on the board... and to this day one of my brothers hates it & still calls the era 2002.
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 6.1.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

I just always call it the 2002 line. 200x has always annoyed me, too... LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by JafariStew View Post
    I helped coin the phrase... ..was one of the 1st to use it on the board... and to this day one of my brothers hates it & still calls the era 2002.
    The pitchfork and torch crowd is on their way to you now.
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

^^ *looks outside* "huh... will you look at that!"
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 6.1.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

The term doesn't bother me. I'm curious what would be a "better" term though? It's no longer "modern" MotU as that's what the Classics line is.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KidRandor View Post
    ....and nobody is bothered by the fact that they call the newest toys "Classics"? They are not classics. They are new toys made to look like old ones with a new twist. By sheer definition, the vintage line are really the classics.
    Good point, though I think the kinda 'aim' of that title is to say Classic (vintage) style, over more 200x (or NA / whatever) style. Then again, with the numerous 200x influences we've seen in the line... uh oh, better not open up that old can of worms yet again here!!
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Heroic Warrior
    I like the 200x term. It works fine for me.

Modern would also work, because I consider MOTUC postmodern.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    200x sounds cool to me.
    its like saying in the year 2000. it just sounds cool.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Lizard-Man, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Nocturna, Masks of Power Demons, Horde Wraiths, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Snake Armor He-Man

Serving the Universe DennyCrane's Avatar
    It's a millennium term - 200X applied to most things post Y2K for the first few years into the century: TMNT (2003), certain Anime (FOTNS Hokuto No Ken) and yes MOTU (the line actually started 2001 but the series debut was 2002)
    Shop toys, action figures, hobbies, comics, gifts & more at DC Collectibles Holiday Sale -
    #Buy2Get1Free69 Free Shipping. See details:
    http://shopdccollectiblesonline.com

Get Social for latest news, product update, sales:
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Pinterest
    *Org Members: Email your board name for an extra discount.

I have recently started referring to it as MOTUX. I guess that's still curious since it retains the X in 200X, but it sounds better.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

200X or MYP is fine. Although when referring to 200X. I've heard people say "Two Hundred X" & "Two Thousand X". So there you go.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    200x is simply the easiest way to refer to that line, as it is not vintage, and it is not Classics, or NA. All those other ones have short, easy, distinct labels. The only other label you could give 200x would be "MYP", which some use, but not everyone knows what production company made that series, and it's not well-known outside of a certain segment of fandom (whereas Filmation was a long established company long before Mattel came knocking and everyone instantly knows what you are talking about). And as phantom pointed out above, it only describes the series, and not the toyline, whereas 200x describes the whole era (again, like Vintage or NA).
    ^This.

200X sounds cool imo. 200X, 20XX, 19XX- are all times not so far from our own where things are usually a lot more exciting. Just ask Kenshiro.

Heroic Warrior
    When I see '200X', I know it's talking about the last series - the 'relaunch for a new generation'. At the same time, I'll think in my mind '2002', '2003'. I don't know if it's the same, but now I'm curious if TMNT fans call the 2003 series '2003' or '200X' as I've also been a fan of that for a while.

Thinking about it more, if you want, you could use terms similar to what's used for video games, in that the 200X series could be referred to as 'last-gen' He-Man, whereas Classics or MOTUC would be 'current-gen'

It reminds me of video games. Like how the Mega Man games take place in the mysterious year of 200x.

I tried "motu02" for awhile but it's cumbersome to type. But if you pronounce "MOTU" as a word (moe-too), it rhymes!

Itsalltrue.net refers to the time period as "Mo2k", which also sounds nice if you pronounce it as a word. (Moe-two-Kay)

I have no problem with the term 200X, but for some reason I read it as 2kx.

Edit: Just a quick question - why are there only 10 threads in this forum?
    Last edited by Space-Man; August 31, 2013 at 05:00pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Space-Man View Post
    Edit: Just a quick question - why are there only 10 threads in this forum?
    There are many more, but forum default only shows threads with posts within the last month. You can change that in the drop-down menu near the bottom of the page.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Heroic Warrior
    I think the 2002 cartoon series would make sense.

Court Magician
    200X is a great way to refer to that line.

I'd hate to see what really ****** off the OP if he gets annoyed so easily.