View Poll Results: Which version of Castle Grayskull do you want for the Classics line?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • Filmation version

52 31.71%
  • Box Illustration version

87 53.05%
  • Vintage Toy version

22 13.41%
  • 200X version

3 1.83%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Castle Grayskull Should Mattel Make?

Hybrid View

Which Castle Grayskull Should Mattel Make?

After re-discovering MOTU through the new Classics line, I was curious to see if Mattel had re-done Castle Grayskull. A recent question in Matty’s forums about making this iconic castle provided a short response that I’m sure most people here are familiar with by now; Basically, it’s too large a project to simply put to pre-order, sight unseen, without putting in a lot of time in research and designing. So it got me thinking, which version of Castle Grayskull would you like to see for the Classics line?

I could only think of four iconic looks…

Cartoon version inspired by the Filmation animation:
    Grayskull.jpg

Box Art version inspired by Rudy Obrero’s illustration:
    z07.jpg

Vintage Toy version inspired by Mark Taylor’s sculpt:
    castlegrayskull1.jpg

New Cartoon version inspired by the 200X animation:
    Castle-Grayskull.jpg

Personally, I favor the classic Filmation version, it's the one that sticks in my imagination the most. A very close runner-up, though, is the Rudy Obrero illustration. Seeing it again made me remember how awe-struck I was as a child when I got the playset as a present!

I like the way Grayskull looks imposing with the large skull in the front that would make passerbys hesitant to even approach it. The box art looked the most creepy and would make a person think twice about wanting to go in there. So I'm going with that one. The Filmation version was nice but some of the light heartedness really made it less creepy. The vintage toy was fine too but the box art looked a lot better as I mentioned. The 200X castle looked way too pristine and didn't look gothic or creepy at all.

Karaoke Extraordinaire Wun2 III's Avatar
    I just hope they make it properly and massive!
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

"If the connection ends up being Scott Neitlich sitting at his desk,
    I'm gonna punch Scott in the face!" -JVS3 RGD Ep072

Just thinking you should add the prototype version with the ledge on the side of the tower and the higher bits of the skull.backcovernw.jpggrayskull_prototype.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by skeletorous View Post
    Just thinking you should add the prototype version with the ledge on the side of the tower and the higher bits of the skull.backcovernw.jpggrayskull_prototype.jpg
    This is what I'd prefer to see and my avatar shows lol. I think that's the way Mattel and the Horsemen would go too based on the way the castle looks on Scare Glow's reliquary. So there's no option for me in this poll.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Filmation version for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Akai View Post
    The Filmation version was nice but some of the light heartedness really made it less creepy. The vintage toy was fine too but the box art looked a lot better as I mentioned.
    An entire castle built on the ribcage of a giant dead creature is less creepy?

I voted Box Art, but I agree with my buddy Skeletorous-the proto details should be there. Actually, the SG reliquary version is swell.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Love the vintage box art!

Does anyone have a large, clear pic of it?

They really should release that as a poster!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Box Art for me...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

If it's strictly the structure of the castle...I vote for Box Art...but in the poll I voted for Filmation because that one looked like it could've just got up and walked. It was so creepy that it looked as if it was sitting on a structure of bones.

Snappy Threader
    Box art for me. Looks dark and cool.

Huge custard eating power flaming_knob's Avatar
    Had to go for Rudy's version. It is sooooo good.
    We don't need no education...

Yes you do, you've just used a double negative!

Box art is the ultimate Grayskull, and what I would expect to see in MOTUC

I would buy the prototype castle and I don't even collect the MOTUC line!!! It also looked most like the box art and still pays homage to filmation

box illistration version, if any. Actually the best mix of them all I'd wager, but particular design for the favourite depiction from vintage.

Very similar to what we got back in the day.

But vintage box art.

Of course that's what I'd want, not neccessarily what they'd do.

But it's safe to say at this juncture they'd do a really awesome update of the vintage design elements.

I prefer the Filmation version.

Box Art for me!!
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Well I would take either the box images or the cartoon version cause to me hey its the CASTLE so why not.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

I still cant swallow this "we cant make it now" pill that scott keeps dropping about grayskull... THEN on top of that he starts talking electronics an design... ITS MOTUC!
    "suppossedly"
    ...so why not just redo the original vintage castle. I mean every OTHER MOTUC item is a MOTU vintage or original figure redone as a back to vintage then turned into the new style...

So just make the Vintage shell style castle like before but re-scale it with 3D sculpting in the places of the original stickers and cardboard cutouts like how the 4h did on the wind raider an battleram prototype an be done with!

I would be 120% fine with it done like that... gezz!.

...nuff said!

Definitely the Box Art version.
    MOTUC Fan

Supreme Sorceress Queen Grayskull's Avatar
    Everytime I watch the old Filmation cartoon series, I'm absolutely fascinated of Castle Grayskull's mystical appearance. I love Filmation's picturing of the "Fortress of Power and Mystery" and regret that there was no option to vote for the Grayskull version shown at the back of the first minicomic "He-Man and the Power Sword", which is my personal favourite:

Filmation is my favourite but I'd be happy with any except for the 200X version which is way to "neat and tidy" for my taste.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    I'd go for the classic toy version... but... as mentioned by skeletorous and others, I'd like to resemble the prototype version, which was also reflected in much of the merchandise and literature.
    This prototype version was very similar to the final version, but differences included a"ledge" a little way up the left tower, an extra "crown" (kinda) design it the very top of the skull, and some different sculpting and features. As the Classics is very much influenced by those vintage prototype and box art appearances, I'd hope to see some of this incorportated.

Without getting into that whole "200x / where did it go wrong / how much should be used in Classics" can of worms, 200x Grayskull was one of the biggest letdowns of that line for me (both in the playset, and in general media). If some of the front-side box art and Filmation influences are put in, that's fine with me.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    This is very hard. I like the box art, filmation & myp. something that combines all its best features?
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor