Thread: MOTUC-Materials... How good are they?

Heroic Warrior

MOTUC-Materials... How good are they?

I made an experiment:

I have a vintage Roboto for 2$ and I tested how durable he is.

So I took him and smashed him at the wall. Nothing happened. I threw him a few times more against my wall. Nothing broke.

Next I put my work boots on and stomp on his torso. Nothing broke. I balanced on one leg on his torso (I weigh around 250 pounds). Nothing broke.

Would you try that with your MOTUC version? I bet no.

So why those new materials often feels less durable than 25-30 year old figures?

Well you have to remember your doing this to an 80's toy that has no elbow or knee, ankle or wrist articulation or an ab crunch. Also i'm sure the typs of plastics have changed in 30 years too. You are comparing a toy that was marketed for kids as opposed to an adult collectable toy line.

Heroic Warrior
    But didn't TG say, these are kids-tested?

I mean, look at some of the figures:

Hurricane Hordak with flaking vac metal & you can easily scratch the red paint from the bat logo.
    Robotos torso is really fragile. The painted power swords, where the metallic paints come easily off or the paint from the handle of the sword. Sy-Klone's shield. I don't want mention the mistakes on the Goddess. The trunk of Snout Spout.

These are action figures and not statues. They sold some of them in the 2-packs in TRU! Also for kids!

The BA Faker is a lot of shinier than the orignal! It seems to be a totally different type of plastic.

I think, Val's statement was true: Enjoy them now, don't look at them as an investment!!!
    Last edited by Berserker79; March 16, 2012 at 11:05pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    Well you have to remember your doing this to an 80's toy that has no elbow or knee, ankle or wrist articulation or an ab crunch. Also i'm sure the typs of plastics have changed in 30 years too. You are comparing a toy that was marketed for kids as opposed to an adult collectable toy line.
    So if that was the case, then the Thundercats while looking a tad cheaper than MOTUC, are better made then?
    Because they are sold at retail designed for kids, with that logic, then any retail figure is better made than Classics...

MOTUC is supposed to be safe for kids as well, it is an American toy from an American toy company, the "Adult" part on the package means that it is designed for adults, but TG did say that is was safe for kids to play with. Not to mention if they were strictly adult, then all the edges that are supposed to be sharp would not be rounded and blunted.

Not to mention MOTUC / DCU 2pks were sold in the toy aisles at TRU, and to my knowledge they did not carry the "Adult" branding, therefore MOTUC are supposedly designed to withstand kids.

The He-Man I got for my 2 year old has taken his beating and still looks brand new....although he's not destructive, he does toss it occasionally and rotate the joints quite frequently, the ankles are ana were loose, but nothing is cracked or broken, or shows any signs of coming apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    But didn't TG say, these are kids-tested?

I mean, look at some of the figures:

Hurricane Hordak with flaking vac metal & you can easily scratch the red paint from the bat logo.
    Robotos torso is really fragile. The painted power swords, where the metallic paints come easily off or the paint from the handle of the sword. Sy-Klone's shield. I don't want mention the mistakes on the Goddess. The trunk of Snout Spout.

These are action figures and not statues. They sold some of them in the 2-packs in TRU! Also for kids!

The BA Faker is a lot of shinier than the orignal! It seems to be a totally different type of plastic.

I think, Val's statement was true: Enjoy them now, don't look at them as an investment!!!
    Yes while they are supposed to be kid safe, I do agree with the materials used, and some are in serious question.....Snout Spout's foam trunk for example, and the clear plastic that seems to crack and break.

And about the vac metal to be honest, Hot Wheels has that issue at time too, some of my sons cars have it flake and rub off the rims, and a few have it come off the normal chrome on the bases and bumpers.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; March 16, 2012 at 11:32pm.
    Recent.... Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Coming.... Mermista
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Double Mischief, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Let me get this straight you just bought figures... to smash them against the wall?
    Bad Toy Karma!!!!!

One day you'll wake up and all your toys will gang up on you and smash you against the wall for good measure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Heroic Warrior
    I've said before that I think 'Adult Collector' is a joke...

Near as i can tell "adult" = Cheap.

How can a toy that is still bound by every child safety standard, sold in toy stores, and have decisions based on 'what will confuse Mom's' be labled 'Adult'??

Either it's a toy for children to play with... (which I think it SHOULD be...) OR.... we should have sharp swords and spikes and whatever else we want regardless of 'safety protocols'

if they're still bound by kids rules... it's a kids toy.

Isn’t it also to do with all the articulation? The original He-Man figures had no real articulation, whereas the Classics figures are covered with articulation. Basically, the articulation pin-points the figure’s weakest spots. So the Classics are obviously much more delicate. However, I will say that the original figures seemed to be made from a much harder plastic.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    Let me get this straight you just bought figures... to smash them against the wall?
    Bad Toy Karma!!!!!

One day you'll wake up and all your toys will gang up on you and smash you against the wall for good measure.
    They can't. They are given away

But even if they want to gang up they don't have a chance. Berserker79 is strongest there is!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Isn’t it also to do with all the articulation? The original He-Man figures had no real articulation, whereas the Classics figures are covered with articulation. Basically, the articulation pin-points the figure’s weakest spots. So the Classics are obviously much more delicate. However, I will say that the original figures seemed to be made from a much harder plastic.
    Articulation would be to blame for the ankles... but not the cracked Roboto chests, moss man shedding in water, and vac chippings and all the other little things from weak plastic.

my kids play with them and for the most part they are awesome, the have passed the bath test a hundred times... no worries. Paint scratches off, on all toys after play. Why would you put Moss Man in water is beyond me however, he's not a chia pet!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Articulation would be to blame for the ankles... but not the cracked Roboto chests, moss man shedding in water, and vac chippings and all the other little things from weak plastic.
    Some of my Moss Man's flocking started to peal on his shoulder. I applied some super glue to the underside of the factory glue and pressed it to the plastic and it hasn't moved since. So in regards to Moss Man's flocking, it was the glue, not the plastic that was to blame.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RyDell View Post
    my kids play with them and for the most part they are awesome, the have passed the bath test a hundred times... no worries. Paint scratches off, on all toys after play. Why would you put Moss Man in water is beyond me however, he's not a chia pet!
    Why have the other figures passed your kid's bath test a hundred times?

Same reason

Toys + Water are more fun!

Toys at the beach or in the pool are ESPECIALLY great fun... I still remember finding my moss man one spring up against the tree he was 'hiding' next to... He'd weathered a whole winter of rain and Snow... and came through it like a champ.

Sadly now days... they aren't built to last...

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCollector View Post
    Some of my Moss Man's flocking started to peal on his shoulder. I applied some super glue to the underside of the factory glue and pressed it to the plastic and it hasn't moved since. So in regards to Moss Man's flocking, it was the glue, not the plastic that was to blame.
    CORRECT!

I should have amended that to the more generic 'poor materials' instead of the specific 'plastic'.
    Last edited by phantom1592; March 17, 2012 at 06:59pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Heroic Warrior
    TG actually said these MOTUC figs are kid tested...?

Coud that possibly have been another, from a vast collection of decietful statements?