Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for Wind Raider "buck" reuse

Ideas for Wind Raider "buck" reuse

Letīs put our energy into trying to help the line, shall we?

As has been mentioned by Mattel, the Wind Raider is a "one-time use only" tool. Letīs try and come up with suggestions to reuse this tool anyway.

I already saw the mention of an "Ice Raider", which I sadly donīt know and would love to see reference pics of.
    I think MGM mentioned the Sea Raider from the MYP series as a potential reuse, with some new tooling.

While looking at Hasbroīs Star Wars line and seeing how they treat their vehicle molds, I wouldnīt mind a "Used Universe" Wind Raider, a Battle Damaged version, with more intricate paint apps to show the WR has been used in combat a lot.

Anything else?
    Positivity, folks!
    Letīs all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Heroic Warrior
    It's a cop out, but a Skeletor themed raider, black and purple, with more bat shaped wings, and a ram's head on the front..

Had a dream last week where I was told that one of the 30th anniversary items was the Wind Raider painted in a variety of colour schemes. You wouldn't know what yours would be until you opened it up. I was given one way in advance, and it was painted like a Naboo Starfighter. Bizarre dream, but I was disappointed when I woke up and discovered it was just a dream.

The Water/Sea Raider: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ead.php?209550

Obviously a single seat version just like the Wind Raider. All it would need is three new wings/fins and a new headpiece for the hood.

Last edited by 13977; January 18, 2012 at 07:38am.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Of course, it would have to be a single-seater if using the Wind Raider buck. Why not expand the cockpit so two figures can sit in it like in the shows.

Uh, that thing would be massive! I doubt a two-seater would fit on anyoneīs shelf!
    Positivity, folks!
    Letīs all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    I don't understand the thinking of some of you. Why would you want to cover for Mattel's greed policy of using a tooling to death. It is not our problem even though Mattel always put the blame on us. I sure the **** don't want a bunch of cheap repaint Wind Raiders. You need to stop being TAKEN FOR THE ASS!!!!
    SKELETOR'S JOURNEY: You heard of Skeletor, Skeleteen and now Skelebaby? The saga of Skeletor's chronology to be continued in 2014. Stay tuned!!!

I think that the Ice Raider or Sea Raider would be very cool. I would certainly buy either of those. I think it is cool to have ships that have a uniform look, so I have no issues with that. Another good idea that was mentioned in another forum was to include an exclusive figure like Icer with the Ice Raider. That would definitely increase sales.
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; January 18, 2012 at 07:02am.

Quote Originally Posted by mick4metal View Post
    I don't understand the thinking of some of you. Why would you want to cover for Mattel's greed policy of using a tooling to death. It is not our problem even though Mattel always put the blame on us. I sure the **** don't want a bunch of cheap repaint Wind Raiders. You need to stop being TAKEN FOR THE ASS!!!!
    Because it wouldn't likely be a part of the sub, and therefore the people that want one can get one. I would welcome a villainous or amphibious version of the vehicle myself. No one is forcing me to buy it. There is a lot of potential in that mold I think in regards to the hull.

Heroic Warrior
    okay, think about it... the display stand could be reused for Roton, Jet Sled, Fright Fighter, Talon Fighter...

The Wheels could be reused for a lot of vehicles...

Yeah, because parts re-use is such a foreign concept for MOTU.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Where is a pic of the Ice Raider?? I don't remember what it looks like at all. What episode was it in?

Saying it was a one time only use too is very short sighted on his part. I don't think anything in this line is deemed 1 time use. Or I should say toy making world. Look at how many repaints the Star Wars line has. Gundam models use runners and over and over and will release recolours of kits soon after the initial release. The Street Fighter line had many exclusive recolours. And look at the small guys in the industry. 4H releases various recolours of the OSM and Scarabus. Glyos is multiple colours of everything. You have to. Even the highly 1 time use, heavily tooled Ram Man figure can be re-released in his orange colour scheme. This wording could be a scare tactic to get use to buy a recolour of the WR down the road.
    Gaping holes in my collection: Regular old Teela, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)

I understand the idea and its merit, but I'm not terribly excited about any WR repaints...
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

I love the idea of reusing the hull as a "standard buck". I can see the 4 yellow pieces being 2 molds and molds aren't the cheapest things in the world (usually upwards of $60,000 for each production mold and $2000-5000 for each trial mold) but assuming the standard 50-100% profit on manufactured items and them making 5000 of these (min.) it covers costs relatively easily.
    10000 x $45 = $450,000 - mold costs (360,000) = $90,000 - other costs [paint, shipping, labor, etc.] (80,000) = $10,000 profit for the Wind Raider
    It probably wasn't a rousing success for Mattel who is used to probably 100 to 200 times that profit for a new product, but for a collectors line I think it would make sense.

I personally would love to see a Horde Raider, a Skeleton Raider, an Ice Raider, a Sea Raider, a Snake Raider (terrible name but you ge the point), etc. The head piece should change, remove the rope and firing function (that should only be on the Wind Raider IMHO), change the wings, and change the tail piece.
    2 molds, 4 pieces sculpted, and reuse the 3 other molds already available.
    So using the same math, but removing 4 of the molds.
    10000 x $45 = $450,000 - mold costs (120,000) = $330,000 - other costs [paint, shipping, labor, etc.] (80,000) = $250,000 profit for the Sea Raider for example
    You can see why they like reused parts and why I think that they should REALLY consider reusing the hull for some sweet new vehicles.

All of my numbers are just educated guesses.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    I would be in for a battle damaged version with an awesome paintjob!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I understand the idea and its merit, but I'm not terribly excited about any WR repaints...
    I agree...

I don't want any Wind Raider reuses.

I want a Battle Ram and a Land Shark.
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Re-use of tooling is a legitimate concern for any toy line, especially one with a limited production run like this. True, Mattel uses that often as an excuse to cut corners, and far more than almost any other toy maker I've ever seen, but it is based in a real concern, especially when the tooling is for something as big as the Raider. Truthfully, I would have though they'd already considered a second use along the lines of what's been proposed here. Releasing the Ice Raider as a variant at the same time Icer comes out would be a smart way to re-use the molds (if Mattel could actually time the two to come out the same month, which seems somewhat doubtful with recent developments). The Sea Raider would require only a few new parts (it wouldn't have to be exact to satisfy me; using the existing main body would be close enough). I think these are legitimate ways to stretch the tooling dollars, and things I would actually buy (not that I actually have room for them, but, hey, that's never stopped me before).

As for it not being our job to think of these things, that's a legitimate point. But from what we've seen thus far, well, someone has to do the thinking here...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    Didn't Webstor have his own WR in the episode "The Cat and the Spider" from the original series? I remember seeing only the back of it and it appeared to have like a bone cage or mabey spider legs on it.

Here's what the Ice Raider looks like.

weather-station-ice-raider.jpg

I'm with Uki in not being terribly excited for a Wind Raider re-use, but if I had no choice, I guess the Ice Raider or Webstor's Wind Raider would be the ones that I'm interested in. If they ever decided to release an Ice Raider, they might as well release an Ice Armor He-Man that month and have some sort of theme going on.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder, Teela, He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak head.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    yeah, as much fun as it is to discuss reuses for the WR, i wouldn't buy another one.

i think it's a fun topic. let's try to keep it that way.

Back on topic: What about a Stealth Wind Raider?
    Last edited by EldestSon; January 18, 2012 at 11:10am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    I don't want any Wind Raider reuses.

I want a Battle Ram and a Land Shark.
    this and most importantly, the ATTAK TRAK

I have always wanted an Ice Raider, so I hope they do make that. A Wind Raider in the same blue as the Battle Ram might be cool, too.

Oh! what if they re-used the body of the WR, but put a clear plastic pod over the cockpit and it it becomes Capt Glenn's escape pod?

I like the colour choices on the Ice Raider, not crazy about the cockpit though. I think I prefer the Sea Raider more.

The Webstor one was was ok. It's the same with 3 spider legs popping out on each side.
    Gaping holes in my collection: Regular old Teela, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)