Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (3/15/2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Ealo View Post
    that is extraordinary and makes me really angry that they do stuff like that; can you link where these figures are (i never come up trumps on this kind of stuff when i go looking)
    No no . That's not exact. I was trying to illustrate how out of control most companies' expectations for a large profit margin have become.

The thing is, a company can make a 500% profit or a 700 or 800% profit. The question is: does that hurt their sales long-term to go for the most extreme profit margin? I think it does
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Man-E-Toys View Post
    Well when he says similar I can only imagine that it won't have much articulation at all. What does Tytus have, 6 points?
    Well that's your interpretation.
    I could spin it the other way and say he'll have more, or different articulation.
    It's all speculation at this point.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Well I just actually hope that Granamyr will not just turn YELLOW considering all the trouble they went thru to vote on the two other colors!!!

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Hold it, they were upset the Wind Raider sold so "poorly," so they are going to... raise the price? Am I reading that correctly?
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Hold it, they were upset the Wind Raider sold so "poorly," so they are going to... raise the price? Am I reading that correctly?
    Makes about as much sense as making a bunch more of something that didn't sell well, to "try and see if it sells better again". Let's be honest, they've been spinning this Wind Raider thing for months now. I have no idea what the true story is about that product (though I have my suspicions) but the one thing that's for certain is that we've never once heard the truth about it.

It's absolutely inconceivable that if a product doesn't sell to your expectations, you then make more of it and bring it back up with a higher pricetag to see if it sells better.
    Toys, Movies, TV Shows and more reviewed at the pop culture mega site... INFINITE HOLLYWOOD.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post

It's absolutely inconceivable that if a product doesn't sell to your expectations, you then make more of it and bring it back up with a higher pricetag to see if it sells better.
    The fanbase was very vocal about this. The WindRaider was just a victim of bad timing and shouldn't be the true test of the baseline for vehicles. In order to give the fans a 2nd chance they have to price the WR realistically in-line with the established price structure.

"Geoff was the only one willing to do a figure for free and let us use his name to promote it."

You get what you pay for.
    sir-laser-lot-e1329223516281.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    No no . That's not exact. I was trying to illustrate how out of control most companies' expectations for a large profit margin have become.

The thing is, a company can make a 500% profit or a 700 or 800% profit. The question is: does that hurt their sales long-term to go for the most extreme profit margin? I think it does
    Well it depends as a company how you look at it, MOTUC is not the big dog for Mattel nor its only money maker (that would belong solely to Monster High after the last 2 fiscal quarters)

In this day and age you are looking just to make it to the next quarter without any catastrophes and give your shareholders reasons to invest. Its all about the short term as that is the most "controllable" aspect. You can't plan for the long term with an economy that could crash (see the Eurozone or even the US in 2008) , there is just too much instability.

We need to get real, its about making money and it always has been. Companies are run by how much money they make. If they are making a 700-800% profit margin the people who invest millions (aka NOT you and me) do not particularly care what the company is doing unless its illegal.

You bring in people with that profit margin they expect you to keep it, you don't they bail and you lose shareholders and then people lose their jobs. Its this way in video games, toys, and most other business.

Whether its right or not does not matter, we are not the ones investing the millions into the company and guiding its direction. Yes we buy MOTUC but in business the customer is only one part of the equation, and usually not a very important one in the grand scheme
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by GRANAT View Post
    "Geoff was the only one willing to do a figure for free and let us use his name to promote it."

You get what you pay for.
    sir-laser-lot-e1329223516281.jpg
    That's already been proven to be an out and out lie.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    Wonderful ! Now, we'll get a $80 figure with very limited articulations (I guess in order for him to get ball jointed articulations, his price should be around $180)...

Granamyr will have to look REAALLLY amazing. Otherwise, I'll just have to pass.
    At least 80$! The final price isn't confirmed. The 80$ were around SDCC before the price increase!

Besides that: Did you think Mattel would give you a 30 point of articulation dragon?
    Granamyr fans can only hope, that their dragons won't yellowing like the Marshmallow Man
    Last edited by Berserker79; March 15, 2012 at 11:54pm.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Granimyr was a pass the moment they said he would be around $80.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Well it depends as a company how you look at it, MOTUC is not the big dog for Mattel nor its only money maker (that would belong solely to Monster High after the last 2 fiscal quarters)

In this day and age you are looking just to make it to the next quarter without any catastrophes and give your shareholders reasons to invest. Its all about the short term as that is the most "controllable" aspect. You can't plan for the long term with an economy that could crash (see the Eurozone or even the US in 2008) , there is just too much instability.

We need to get real, its about making money and it always has been. Companies are run by how much money they make. If they are making a 700-800% profit margin the people who invest millions (aka NOT you and me) do not particularly care what the company is doing unless its illegal.

You bring in people with that profit margin they expect you to keep it, you don't they bail and you lose shareholders and then people lose their jobs. Its this way in video games, toys, and most other business.

Whether its right or not does not matter, we are not the ones investing the millions into the company and guiding its direction. Yes we buy MOTUC but in business the customer is only one part of the equation, and usually not a very important one in the grand scheme
    I still think it makes more sense for them to make a little less profit, than have a line die because it's overpriced. I mean...then the company gets 0% profit because it's no longer being made since they were greedy.

Let's say they make 600% profit on the line. They could decrease it to 500% profit by keeping the same price (hypothetical example). Getting 500% profit you can add to your quarterly statement is a hell of a lot better than a 0%...right? Right!?
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    Agreed. Keep the figures coming, because you never know when they'll decide to pull the plug and we'll belfet with a semi-complete line, like the 200X lie.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Similar to Mattel is exactly the same. But for double the money.
    That's what I took away from that comment too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Granimyr was a pass the moment they said he would be around $80.
    Pretty much my thought on it too....not to mention, it's one I can really live without.

But will he be $88 now that the prices went up since they announced him at $80 last year?
    Recent....Eldor
    Coming....Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Pretty much my thought on it too....not to mention, it's one I can really live without.

But will he be $88 now that the prices went up since they announced him at $80 last year?
    Sub price should still be the same... wouldn't be surprised to hear the 'day of' sale goes up...

Heroic Warrior
    I don't believe he's in the sub.

I'm a little late to the party today!

-> http://www.itsalltrue.net/?p=17559
    MOTUClassics.Com - Reviews, Release Schedule, Bios, & News.

So who were the other 'celebrities' that were approached for this 30th slot?
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Mattel Q&A from www.PlanetEternia.de :

1) Without going into specifics, can you tell us if more Shadow Weavers were produced than SDCC '08 King Grayskulls, or less? Fans just wonder which figure had the lowest production run.

SDCC King Grayskull is the lowest run followed by Shadow Weaver and then Wun-Dar and Preternia He-Man.

2) Figures often arrive with bent weapons, and though it's not too complicated to fix that, it's still kind of a nuisance. Is there a way to ensure that accessoires ain't packed in a way that bends them?

We will pass this off to packaging and let them know customers are still looking for improvements.

3) Do you have concrete plans to motivate more fans to sign for the Club Eternia 2013 subscription who passed on the 2012 sub?

We did move a few 2013 figures around (for the first time) to ensure the Q1 figures are very strong to show fans how much life the line still has! When we aquired the Filmation rights it meant a reworked of all future line ups, so we used this opportunity to ensure the Q1 figures each year were very strong to help sell in the subs.

4) Since Filmation characters are possible now, would there be a chance to see the BraveStarr brand, like producing the Marshall himself as a sort of MotUC special surprise Exclusive?

Brave Starr is s separate license from MOTU. We do not have rights to every property CM manages, only MOTU (and Voltron!). But both are 100% separate agreements with the same partner.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    Mattel Q&A from www.PlanetEternia.de :

2) Figures often arrive with bent weapons, and though it's not too complicated to fix that, it's still kind of a nuisance. Is there a way to ensure that accessoires ain't packed in a way that bends them?

We will pass this off to packaging and let them know customers are still looking for improvements.
    Once again trying to re-invent the wheel...

Little baggies dropped at the feet of the figure. That's how it was done in the 80's, and it worked JUST fine.

Half the things I try to get out of these plastic death traps end up bend or 'near' breaking... I HATE unpackaging these guys

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post

The thing that worries me is how managers constantly push for increased profits. This year they've introduced the 30th anniversary line, which is surely going to boost any money 'lost' through declining subs. But what happens next year?

As long as Mattel don't reach out to new custumers (which I understand they were trying to do by getting Geoff Johns on board), the line will always have a ceiling. Profits will level out (and decline) if more new fans don't buy into the line.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets King Ahgo

I;m wondering what they are actually going to do to promote Sir-Lazer Lot? There is no other marketing in this line, what is going to be different for him?

Was he paid for making this figure or was it really a free job?

J

Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy_j View Post
    I;m wondering what they are actually going to do to promote Sir-Lazer Lot? There is no other marketing in this line, what is going to be different for him?

Was he paid for making this figure or was it really a free job?

J
    You know, I was thinking about the way MOTUC figures are marketed as well. Last night I was reading some of my weekly comics. I've been reading about 8 or 9 titles from the new DC 52 (whom Mattel has a partnership with and whose Chief Creative Officer created an action figure for MOTUC) and was thinking about how there were no ads for any Mattel product. (I know DC advertises for DC direct, so while it would seem that they don't want to compete with themselves, DC still approves Mattel to make toys that in some ways compete with DC Direct.)

Wouldn't it make sense for Mattel to work out some kind of arrangement to advertise some product in comics? (without Toyfare magazine around, comics are about the most similar demographic I can imagine Mattel could tackle. Could Mattel advertise in IDW titles? That company knows how to handle 80's properties and probably has a reader base that could potentially expand MOTUC.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    That's already been proven to be an out and out lie.
    Can I ask how and where? I read enough of the lie accusations, I'm interested to see where the proof is published so I can weigh the evidence.