Thread: Is MYP the best of the 80s cartoon revamps?

Hybrid View

Heroic Warrior

Is MYP the best of the 80s cartoon revamps?

Besides TMNT, Transfomers Prime, My Little Pony Friendship is Magic or Thundercats.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

The best and only.
    Коможедапрочитанекапрочита:овимсајтомуправљајулуда циопседнутиконтролом.Јебаоихмателијебаоихскот .

of course!!!
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Heroic Painting Warrior GLJossan's Avatar
    Behind Sorceress' shower curtain with a camera... Better known as NJ.
    lol I like how you more or less just named all the other revamps...

With Transformers it's hard to say which is the equivalent "revamp" for 80s property.
    If we go by time-frame, wouldn't the example be Transformers Armada? (coming roughly same time as TMNT-revamp and MOTU-revamp)

I really did enjoy MYP a lot and was sad that it got axed just when it was starting to get really good. Did like the 2K3 Turtles since they were the most faithful to the original Mirage comics. I am currently enjoying Thundercats. The Transformers Unicron trilogy were kind of meh but Animated and Prime are really good. Never liked My Little Pony and to be honest, the 80s definitely had better animation and I'm not even going to get started on Care Bears.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Besides TMNT, Transfomers Prime, My Little Pony Friendship is Magic or Thundercats.
    totally!

Thundercats are cool but I guess they hould have been a better hit 10 years ago

by far right now, id defenitly have to say yes
    "always believe in yerself"
    dont be someone yer not

Heroic Warrior Science Friction's Avatar
    Yes, the MYP cartoon is easily the best 80s revamp in my opinion. It's the only MOTU cartoon you can watch seriously, and it has some of the best story and pacing of any cartoon during that time. While other cartoons are decent, Thundercats and TF Prime in particular, the MYP cartoon seemed to perfectly blend the best elements of classic MOTU with modern ideas. I think a lot of other revamps fail at this. Could it have been better? Yes. There were flaws, and it didn't reach it's full potential, but at least it didn't become something completely different.
    Last edited by Science Friction; March 17, 2012 at 02:08pm.

By far. It saddens me daily that we will never get to see where the story was going. Now im going to curl up in a ball and cry.

I agree, I loved the 2002 series. They managed to take elements of the classic MOTU and give it a more modern edge. I didnt like TF Animated, and TF Prime is okay but I would like to see a return to more G1 inspired characters. So far I have been really dissapointed by the new Thundercats. I had my fingers crossed that when the MOTU Classics line started up, that we would be getting a new cartoon series to go with it.

What is MVP?
    Get words of wisdom from the man that is prefect, He-man! https://twitter.com/HeManWisdoms
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyGold View Post
    What is MVP?
    There is no such thing as MVP.

MYP means Mike Young Productions (animation studio that handled MOTU cartoon)
    and
    MVC means MVCreations (comic studio that handled MOTU comicbook)

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    myp was so good. felt there was so much more that could have been run with it.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyGold View Post
    What is MVP?
    MVP means Most Valuable Player...and there is a strong case to be made that MYP was precisely that.

Yes and maybe.....

Thundercats are on a tear latley. They have great storylines and alot of loose ends getti.g explained
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

I agree the MYP He-Man cartoon was the best. The story lines were great by involving lesser known characters, however, Mattel should not have pushed the Snake Men in so many of the episodes. Having the Snake Men included in the intro ruined it for me. I preferred to see more of the Evil Horde.
    Manny
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

I think they were using the snake men arch to add depth to the Horde storyline and the show was just canceled too soon. I for one really liked the Snake men story line because they never had filmation treatment whereas the Horde did.

Heroic Warrior
    The new Turtles toon from the last decade was excellent and more faithful to the comics
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Gotta go with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic here, I'm afraid.

I've never seen Thundercats and I haven't seen much of GI Joe, so I can't speak for them.

I would put He-Man above TMNT in all areas but one though: the finale. I really really loved Turtles Forever. Too bad TMNT ran like three times as long as HM&tMOTU. I like the characters and world of Eternia more.

Okay, not by much at all, but still.

Court Magician
    London. Though my heart yearns for the dense woodlands of Southern England...
    I've just rewatched the entire series, and I think it's fantastic. It is definately one of the best updates. Thundercats has been great, but a little bit souless, and the Mumm-Ra redesign with the tiny head was a bit lame. G.I.Joe Resolute was epic, but Hasbro kinda pushed it under the carpet due to its' adult tone, and only made a few figures from it. Transformers Animated was cool, but didn't get me all fired up to buy toys. Apart from the Dinobots, because they rock.
    I think we were really lucky to get such an ace series, with some real depth and some kickin' moments. And it was great to see Skeletor being a genuine threat to Eternia.
    Like a one man wolf pack!

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyB175 View Post
    I agree the MYP He-Man cartoon was the best. The story lines were great by involving lesser known characters, however, Mattel should not have pushed the Snake Men in so many of the episodes. Having the Snake Men included in the intro ruined it for me. I preferred to see more of the Evil Horde.
    I loved the Snake Men. They added so much depth to the cartoon, and like He-Dad said,
    I for one really liked the Snake men story line because they never had filmation treatment whereas the Horde did.
    The Horde got a whole series dedicated to them, and for Snake Men lovers we kinda got left out. I'm so glad they DID include them in the MYP cartoon, and we finally got to see the Snake Men in full glory. King Hssss was my favorite. Snake Face was soooo awesome as well.

It seems like a lot of Snake Men now that the series is cancelled, but I believe they wanted to do more with the cartoon and keep it going so who knows where it would've ended up. I love how the cartoon really developed the characters and created more of a humanized story rather than just a toy commercial.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon... now going green with TMNT!

I'd put it second behind the Thundercats revamp.

Yeah, I really, really love the Thundercats.

MYP is pretty good, but I have stopped watching it since getting the modern Thundercats on DVD. I'm sure I'll watch it again, eventually.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA. Moved from El Paso, TX
    MYP series was 8 years ago..still, I put it just behind Thundercats but ahead of GI Joe Renegades and Transformers Prime or Voltron.