Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is MYP the best of the 80s cartoon revamps?

Heroic Warrior

Is MYP the best of the 80s cartoon revamps?

Besides TMNT, Transfomers Prime, My Little Pony Friendship is Magic or Thundercats.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

The best and only.

of course!!!
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Heroic Painting Warrior GLJossan's Avatar
    Behind Sorceress' shower curtain with a camera... Better known as NJ.
    lol I like how you more or less just named all the other revamps...

With Transformers it's hard to say which is the equivalent "revamp" for 80s property.
    If we go by time-frame, wouldn't the example be Transformers Armada? (coming roughly same time as TMNT-revamp and MOTU-revamp)

I really did enjoy MYP a lot and was sad that it got axed just when it was starting to get really good. Did like the 2K3 Turtles since they were the most faithful to the original Mirage comics. I am currently enjoying Thundercats. The Transformers Unicron trilogy were kind of meh but Animated and Prime are really good. Never liked My Little Pony and to be honest, the 80s definitely had better animation and I'm not even going to get started on Care Bears.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Besides TMNT, Transfomers Prime, My Little Pony Friendship is Magic or Thundercats.
    totally!

Thundercats are cool but I guess they hould have been a better hit 10 years ago

by far right now, id defenitly have to say yes
    "always believe in yerself"
    dont be someone yer not

Heroic Warrior Science Friction's Avatar
    Yes, the MYP cartoon is easily the best 80s revamp in my opinion. It's the only MOTU cartoon you can watch seriously, and it has some of the best story and pacing of any cartoon during that time. While other cartoons are decent, Thundercats and TF Prime in particular, the MYP cartoon seemed to perfectly blend the best elements of classic MOTU with modern ideas. I think a lot of other revamps fail at this. Could it have been better? Yes. There were flaws, and it didn't reach it's full potential, but at least it didn't become something completely different.
    Last edited by Science Friction; March 17, 2012 at 02:08pm.

By far. It saddens me daily that we will never get to see where the story was going. Now im going to curl up in a ball and cry.

I agree, I loved the 2002 series. They managed to take elements of the classic MOTU and give it a more modern edge. I didnt like TF Animated, and TF Prime is okay but I would like to see a return to more G1 inspired characters. So far I have been really dissapointed by the new Thundercats. I had my fingers crossed that when the MOTU Classics line started up, that we would be getting a new cartoon series to go with it.

Heroic Warrior OverlordSkeletor's Avatar
    To me the best would have to be MYP and Thundercats. They took the best of the originals and improved on them. At least that's my opinion.
    Grief Is The Price We Pay For Love

Live The Life That Unfolds Before You

Browncoats stand up and be proud.

Looking Backward Is Fine But Going Backwards Isn't

Heroic Warrior
    What do you think of the Transformers revivals?

And what about My Little Pony Friendship is Magic? they turned an extremely girly 80s cartoon that no boy would ever watch into something even better as it appeals to both genders, all sexual orientations and has a great sense of humor as it feels like Animaniacs/Tiny Toons/Ren and Stimpy at times, i'm now a Brony (If you don't know what that means, look it up).
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Snappy Threader
    In my opinion it is indeed the best, by far. However, I am biased because I am not a Transformers fan at all.

The only 80's revival that I think gives the MYP MOTU a run for its money is G.I. Joe: Resolute. It was fantastic. Too bad it was really just one hour long event. If it had a chance to continue, it might have taken the crown.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    The only 80's revival that I think gives the MYP MOTU a run for its money is G.I. Joe: Resolute. It was fantastic. Too bad it was really just one hour long event. If it had a chance to continue, it might have taken the crown.
    I'm gonna have to agree there. When it comes to 80's revamps I'd put Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles probably at the top because it lasted longer and got another movie for the franchise but G.I.Joe Resolute and MYP along with the Turtles were probably the best revamps so far. We'll have to see what happens with Thundercats as I love it but if it has real room to grow, as in a second season, we'll really be able to judge.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes

Quote Originally Posted by Beastman83 View Post
    I agree, I loved the 2002 series. They managed to take elements of the classic MOTU and give it a more modern edge. I didnt like TF Animated, and TF Prime is okay but I would like to see a return to more G1 inspired characters. So far I have been really dissapointed by the new Thundercats. I had my fingers crossed that when the MOTU Classics line started up, that we would be getting a new cartoon series to go with it.
    I really enjoyed Transformers Animated. I loved how a lot of the characters we loved in the 80s looked near the same. And the back story was awesome. I do agree with you on the Thundercats, I am really hoping for it to get better.

Probably the only series revamp at the same time that I think is on the same level is Justice League. Turtles was good but I never found myself wanting to watch the entire series from front to back. With JL I think I did that and with MYP I have multiple times.
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

200X was the best revamp of a series. Ever. Transformers: Beast Wars would be 2nd. I had high hopes for Thundercats but so far it has been an extreme letdown. I like the character designs and animation but the story hasnt really gone anywhere. I want to see Thundercats fighting the mutants more and less talking flowers and robo bears.

As far as the 200X series goes, I think had Cartoon Network placed it in a consistent time slot and not taken such a long break with nobody knowing when it would come back on, the show would have gone into a 3rd maybe 4th season. I still watch the series on dvd and there are only a couple of episodes I don't really care for.
    View my collection and customs HERE!

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    The only thing that even comes close to MYP/200x in getting an 80s revamp right is ThunderCats if you ask me.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is up there, but hard to compare since it's a "girls" cartoon turned internet phenomenon.

Transformers is also hard to compare because of all the horrid redesigns it's gone thru over the past 2 decades or so. I dont think any of them captured original Transformers the way MYP captured original MOTU. I like to call it "getting it mostly right".

Obviously a revamp will never overcome an original run in my eyes. -Vintage Purist™
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

I loved Thundercats but I don't think it would have come about if MYP hadn't done He-Man. I think it's sad He-Man was cancelled I wanted to see the Horde again.

I think so for sure. It still seems fresh to this day! Great character development is a big plus for me.

Still waiting on a M.A.S.K. animation update though... Then we'll see LoL.
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

What is MVP?
    Get words of wisdom from the man that is prefect, He-man! https://twitter.com/HeManWisdoms
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Yes and maybe.....

Thundercats are on a tear latley. They have great storylines and alot of loose ends getti.g explained
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyGold View Post
    What is MVP?
    There is no such thing as MVP.

MYP means Mike Young Productions (animation studio that handled MOTU cartoon)
    and
    MVC means MVCreations (comic studio that handled MOTU comicbook)

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    myp was so good. felt there was so much more that could have been run with it.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor