Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is MYP the best of the 80s cartoon revamps?

I agree the MYP He-Man cartoon was the best. The story lines were great by involving lesser known characters, however, Mattel should not have pushed the Snake Men in so many of the episodes. Having the Snake Men included in the intro ruined it for me. I preferred to see more of the Evil Horde.
    Manny
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

I think they were using the snake men arch to add depth to the Horde storyline and the show was just canceled too soon. I for one really liked the Snake men story line because they never had filmation treatment whereas the Horde did.

Heroic Warrior
    The new Turtles toon from the last decade was excellent and more faithful to the comics
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Gotta go with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic here, I'm afraid.

I've never seen Thundercats and I haven't seen much of GI Joe, so I can't speak for them.

I would put He-Man above TMNT in all areas but one though: the finale. I really really loved Turtles Forever. Too bad TMNT ran like three times as long as HM&tMOTU. I like the characters and world of Eternia more.

Okay, not by much at all, but still.

Court Magician
    London. Though my heart yearns for the dense woodlands of Southern England...
    I've just rewatched the entire series, and I think it's fantastic. It is definately one of the best updates. Thundercats has been great, but a little bit souless, and the Mumm-Ra redesign with the tiny head was a bit lame. G.I.Joe Resolute was epic, but Hasbro kinda pushed it under the carpet due to its' adult tone, and only made a few figures from it. Transformers Animated was cool, but didn't get me all fired up to buy toys. Apart from the Dinobots, because they rock.
    I think we were really lucky to get such an ace series, with some real depth and some kickin' moments. And it was great to see Skeletor being a genuine threat to Eternia.
    Like a one man wolf pack!

Quote Originally Posted by wolf man View Post
    I've just rewatched the entire series, and I think it's fantastic. It is definately one of the best updates. Thundercats has been great, but a little bit souless, and the Mumm-Ra redesign with the tiny head was a bit lame. G.I.Joe Resolute was epic, but Hasbro kinda pushed it under the carpet due to its' adult tone, and only made a few figures from it. Transformers Animated was cool, but didn't get me all fired up to buy toys. Apart from the Dinobots, because they rock.
    I think we were really lucky to get such an ace series, with some real depth and some kickin' moments. And it was great to see Skeletor being a genuine threat to Eternia.
    I think that is why I loved MYP so much. MOTU has some great villains that are very colorful and they came across as clowns in Filmation. Thanks to Tranformers the Movie and G.I.Joe the Movie their villains came across as genuine threats, hell, Autobots and Starscream died in the Transformers movie. Kinda left Skeletor and the bunch looking like second stringers. MYP made them genuine threats like they should have been. I loved it when Skeletor would get angry and his eyes would light up red. Plus Hordak, while not in the show very often, came across as pure evil in the Power of Grayskull episode.
    Last edited by Piccolo Daimaoh; September 12, 2012 at 05:07pm.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Quote Originally Posted by Piccolo Daimaoh View Post
    I think that is why I loved MYP so much. MOTU has some great villains that are very colorful and they came across as clowns in Filmation. Thanks to Tranformers the Movie and G.I.Joe the Movie their villains came across as genuine threats, hell, Autobots and Starscream died in the Transformers movie. Kinda left Skeletor and the bunch looling like second stringers. MYP made them genuine threats like they should have been. I loved it when Skeletor would get angry and his eyes would light up red. Plus Hordak, while not in the show very often, came across as pure evil in the Power of Grayskull episode.
    And even though Filmation means my child hold (older) but MYP was lights years better!

First off Adam didn't get a tan and become He-Man he was a kid that became He-Man (ALA Shazam) big ups!

Skeletor was a major threat not some comic relief for He-Man to stop...

The good guys LOST some of the time and it was cool to see the Backstory to Keldor/Skeletor & King Grayskull...And KG was a bad ass Hordak got lucky in stopping him he pretty much was the man back in Pre-Eternian's days..It was a more realistic approach to the line so in the respect I like it and wish he would have continued....

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyGold View Post
    What is MVP?
    MVP means Most Valuable Player...and there is a strong case to be made that MYP was precisely that.

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyB175 View Post
    I agree the MYP He-Man cartoon was the best. The story lines were great by involving lesser known characters, however, Mattel should not have pushed the Snake Men in so many of the episodes. Having the Snake Men included in the intro ruined it for me. I preferred to see more of the Evil Horde.
    I loved the Snake Men. They added so much depth to the cartoon, and like He-Dad said,
    I for one really liked the Snake men story line because they never had filmation treatment whereas the Horde did.
    The Horde got a whole series dedicated to them, and for Snake Men lovers we kinda got left out. I'm so glad they DID include them in the MYP cartoon, and we finally got to see the Snake Men in full glory. King Hssss was my favorite. Snake Face was soooo awesome as well.

It seems like a lot of Snake Men now that the series is cancelled, but I believe they wanted to do more with the cartoon and keep it going so who knows where it would've ended up. I love how the cartoon really developed the characters and created more of a humanized story rather than just a toy commercial.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon... now going green with TMNT!

I'd put it second behind the Thundercats revamp.

Yeah, I really, really love the Thundercats.

MYP is pretty good, but I have stopped watching it since getting the modern Thundercats on DVD. I'm sure I'll watch it again, eventually.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA. Moved from El Paso, TX
    MYP series was 8 years ago..still, I put it just behind Thundercats but ahead of GI Joe Renegades and Transformers Prime or Voltron.

Heroic Warrior
    MYP Masters is 50x better than Filmation, a couple of cartoons I think are better maybe not necessarily 80's properties but really gained popularity in the 80's and had toons in the 80's (or based on the same properties) are Justice League/JLU, Star Wars Clone Wars, and Young Justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    The only 80's revival that I think gives the MYP MOTU a run for its money is G.I. Joe: Resolute. It was fantastic. Too bad it was really just one hour long event. If it had a chance to continue, it might have taken the crown.
    GI Joe Resolute is better IMO, and originally wasn't it a bunch of online shorts?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    The new Turtles toon from the last decade was excellent and more faithful to the comics
    Based on which comics? If there were animation or movies based more on Eastman & Laird's original vision of TMNT I might actually enjoy that property more.

Widget
    The Mike Young series is in one of the best revamps there has ever been, especially as far as eighties animation is concerned.

It is essentially a retelling of Filmation, with the same basic characters, very similar designs and stories, only with a tighter narrative, more cohesive storylines and more mature characters - as far as revamps go, it doesn't get much better than that.

It's premature cancellation was IMO one of the top three crimes in TV history (the others being the premature cancellations of Rome and Enterprise respectively).

Heroic Warrior
    Speaking of 80s, did anyone else thought at first it was the Mike Young who made SuperTed? but it turns out it isn't.

Remember SuperTed? he needs a comeback.

Widget
    Loved Super ted. Don't know how many times I made my parents rent that tape, but itw as quite a few. If only it had been possible to purchase... Wouldn't mind seeing it again actually, have neither thought nor seen Super Ted for at least twenty years!

Heroic Warrior
    They use to play SuperTed on Disney here in the US/Canada back in 84-85-86 as i recall and would tape some episodes.

I believe the fact that MYP was one of, or the best 80s revamp cartoon series isnt even something that would be debatable. The show really delivered and made it evident that the people behind put their effort in it. I remember finally seeing the first episode which I eagerly awaited and being so pleasantly surprised at how good and cinematic the opening story was. As a diehard fan, I almost jumped from excitement the minute I first heard the mention of Keldor. The stories had a great balance between being interesting for adolescent crowd and young crowd as well, I think they walked that line fine, like HB's Pirates of the Dark Water. Its a series a whole family can enjoy, whatever the age, and genuinely find interesting

The only thing I truly disliked was the animation - I personally was never ever a fan of the stylized animation, ala anime etc. I like the simple, standard human likeness, like in the Filmation series or Johnny Quest to name a few. MYP was too squarey/blocky, too stylized for me. But, other than that and anything that involved the Snakemen, it was a pleasure to watch and a really nice achievement. MOTU is a very rich mythology which I believe is highly underrated, and MYP explored it nicely