Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR thread

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR thread

Can't believe we don't have a thread for this yet.

Well today footage from the movie was premiered at the D23 expo.

WOW!!!

Here's a synopsis:

We’ll learn more about Thor and the Hulk in Thor: Ragnarok, but the Infinity War trailer opened with the Asgardian being flung against the windshield of the Milano, the ship commanded by Star-Lord (Chris Pratt) from Guardians of the Galaxy. “Get it off!” shouts Rocket (voiced by Bradley Cooper), as though a particularly ugly bug had been smushed there.

Mantis (Pom Klementieff) brings Thor back to life, and he promptly greets out Guardians with an unfriendly, “Who the hell are you?” (To be fair, Star-Lord had just told his fellow Guardians, “This might be dangerous, so let’s put on our mean faces.”) It then seems like Thor joins forces with the Guardians to guide them to Earth, where we see the following things go down, in quick succession:

Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen) seems to cut a flaming car in half. It looks like her beau Vision (Paul Bethany) might be trapped nearby, and to judge from their faces, something sad and bad is going down.

“Death follows him like a shadow,” we hear, as Josh Brolin’s ultimate villain Thanos is teased.

Suddenly, Tom Hiddleston’s Loki appears, cutting through flaming wreckage to grab the Tesseract, which holds one of the Infinity Stones. Is this what Scarlet Witch and Vision were trying to prevent?

Next, there’s a glimpse of Tom Holland’s Peter Parker on his school bus. The hair on his arms stands up. How’s that for some trouble-activated spider-sense?

“He’s come to us,” someone says, as some alien ships crash land on a wrecked Earth. A worried Mantis stands with Iron Man, Thor, Doctor Strange, the Hulk, and the other heroes as the aircrafts approach.

“This does put a smile on my face,” intones Thanos, as Gamora (Zoe Saldana) takes in the wreckage of the room kept by the Collector (Benicio del Toro). More Infinity Stones pillaged.

And that’s when Thanos walks through a portal onto Earth — big and hulking and boasting a ****-eating grin. Star-Lord and Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) leap into action, harnessing magic and airborne stepping stones. Even Spider-Man swings into action, wearing a cool new suit … perhaps the one teased at the end of Spider-Man: Homecoming?

Briefly, we see Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), who’s blond now, and Captain America, who’s bearded. Listen, I know the fate of the universe is at stake, but don’t we all feel a little refreshed after spending valuable time on an undercover makeover? Talk to Wonder Woman about that, she knows what’s up.

In the final moments, things get truly heightened. Thanos grabs Thor’s head in his meaty paw and regards it like a grape he’s about to smush. Maybe he saw that scary black-and-white episode of Twin Peaks and wants to practice storming radio stations and breaking open heads?

“You can run from it,” growls Thanos, “but your destiny still arrives.” And then he holds up one hand and seemingly destroys a planet far away in the sky — or, if this scene is taking place on Earth, our freaking moon — and heaves the remains of it at our Avengers in a single shot.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/aveng...r-mind-a152477

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar
    Beat me too it Boney....Can wait to see this....

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Yup, I'm hoping they release that montage of imagery later on this week so that I can see the awesome scenes for myself. I am very much looking forward to all the MCU characters teaming up in 1 movie to battle Thanos and his Black Order.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Shhh... 15 secs from trailer before it goes down

Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    Shhh... 15 secs from trailer before it goes down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiUME_bGMhc

The whole trailer was up for about 10 minutes but Disney made youtube pull it.

Luckily, I was warned ahead of time before it was posted.

WOW!

It looks good, and from things I've heard and an image leaked earlier this week have me really excited.

Apparently it seems like Pietro will be involved in at least one scene. Now I'm willing to bet that it's just the mind stone and Thanos using it to torture Wanda, but I hope it's more than that. I loved ATJ as Pietro, and the fact that they killed off such a prominent character bothered me, even more so when there was the reveal that an alternate ending has Pietro standing next to Wanda in his new Avengers uniform.
    But I had believed back when Inhumans was initially going to be a movie, not a tv series 'event' that Pietro would be coming back from the dead because of how heavily he ties into them, and with Crystal being his wife. But now that Inhumans was 'banished' to tv, the chances of them bringing Pietro back from the dead are less than they were before. I'm psyched about the Spider-Man scene, described, but I feel like that could be Thanos messing with Tony's mind too since Peter calls him Tony and not Mr. Stark, and he hasn't done that on screen yet, he always refers to him as Mr. Stark.

I'm really excited to see this movie, even though I'm afraid that this will mark the end of a few of my favorite characters

and a lingering fear that they'll kill off Peter too and replace him with Miles.
    but I'd love it if they released both parts back to back and to watch it as just one 4+ hour movie, but I know it will be impossible to avoid spoilers for that long to even see A3 for the first time just before going to the theaters to see A4.
    Check out me and my friend's blog: Geek Culture

Quote Originally Posted by radrcks View Post
    I'm really excited to see this movie, even though I'm afraid that this will mark the end of a few of my favorite characters

and a lingering fear that they'll kill off Peter too and replace him with Miles.
    Personally speaking, I think this could be the best thing to happen in the MCU right now. It would make financial and logistical sense for Marvel to do it, and it would help explain a lot of stuff from Homecoming...
    Where are the rest of my New Adventures Classics figures?!?!?

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

I get bored sometimes...

Marvel Cinematic Universe Film Order Infographic
    (as of the time of the 2017 San Diego Comic Con).

All films up to Avengers: Infinity War, plus Captain Marvel, which was revealed to take place in the 1990's at SDCC's Hall H Marvel Studios presentation.

(And yes, I know some will disagree with the placement of Captain America: The First Avenger, based on the framing scenes, but I placed it where I did for the time period of the film's key narrative)
    My #1 most wanted figure in MotUC?
    - "Cloak & Dagger" Evil-Lyn (MYP) -

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Personally speaking, I think this could be the best thing to happen in the MCU right now. It would make financial and logistical sense for Marvel to do it, and it would help explain a lot of stuff from Homecoming...

I think that would be one of the worst moves they could make TBH. The only real problem with Homecoming was the 'eight years later' tag. I get that the 'I've got a nephew out there' line was a nod to Miles but I don't think it would be smart to introduce him. We know Tom signed on for 3 solo movies and 3 'guest' spots in films so that gives us Homecoming HC2, HC3, Civil War, Infinity War, A4. But I want them to keep him around longer than that. We finally have an age appropriate Peter Parker (compared to the other heroes I mean), Tom fits the role well,
    and HC was probably the most enjoyable Spider-Man movie for me. And the full preview leaked and if you watch it, Tom/Spider-Man goes get the loudest crowd reaction next to Black Panther's like half a second scene. So he's clearly a fan/crowd favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by radrcks View Post

I think that would be one of the worst moves they could make TBH.

I'm not understanding why this would be one of the worst movies that they could make? Is it because Spider-Man isn't a white kid? Because other than his ethnicity, it would still be a "Spider-Man" movie, and those typically tend to do really well.

Also, keep in mind three things:

1. Miles Morales was so popular that he was brought into the Prime Marvel Universe after the events of Ultimatum/Secret Wars (which was written to kill off all of the "Ultimate" versions of Marvel characters.)
    2. Donald Glover was [this close] to portraying Spider-Man in Mark Webb's Amazing Spider-Man movies - as Miles Morales.
    3. The Marvel Animated Universe has a new Spider-man movie coming out featuring none other than Miles Morales.

It would be a mistake because we *just* got Peter in the MCU. It's the same reason I don't want Silk, or even Spider-Gwen (as much as I love them) in the MCU yet. We've gotten a chance to see all of the characters expand and grow to various degrees (some much less than others, I'm looking at you Wanda, Natasha and Sharron), except for Peter because he just arrived, and due to the constant reboots in the movies, as well as the various animated shows we haven't gotten a version of Peter Parker as Spider-Man that hasn't been retconned out. It's sort of why I'm not as interested in the new Spider-Man cartoon as I should be, mostly because it was originally billed as 'taking Peter back to his high school roots' - well the problem with that being that in Ultimate Spider-Man, he was in high school still, as well as The Spectacular Spider-Man which was directly before USM. I want to see Peter grow and evolve and expand as a character.

Yes the MCU heavily borrows from the Ultimate Comics line, but look how long Peter was around before Miles. I get that people want Miles as *the* Spider-Man in the MCU (I'm not a fan of Miles in general, but that's because Ultimate Peter was my favorite comic version of Peter),
    but look at all the other properties that have had the *major storyline everyone wants* and rushed into it to shoehorn it in. Superman/Doomsday is a poor imitation of The Death of Superman/Funeral For A Friend/Reign of the Superman, only without Matrix getting nearly killed by Doomsday, no Eradicator, Cyborg Superman, Steel... the destruction of Coast City, so many huge elements removed. BvSoJ is pretty much Death of Superman with even less of the actual source material included in it. X-Men the Last Stand was The Dark Phoenix Saga without the Phoenix Saga ever happening, and about 90% of the Dark Phoenix Saga missing, so it was essentially 'evil Jean' and nothing more.

The MCU already has to wiggle around quite a bit, no X-Men no FF, having to do Carol Danvers' origin story without Rogue involved at all.
    A rather large chunk of characters that were involved in Civil War and Infinity War/Gauntlet having to be (will have to be) swapped out with other characters because Marvel doesn't have the rights to them. Why fast track The Death of Spider-Man storyline to introduce Miles when we're only 2 appearances into Tom as Spider-Man and we have yet to see Harry/Norman Osborne, Mary Jane, Gwen, Eddie, JJJ - I know that Marvel might not be able to use those characters at all (yet) bu t that still points to how much of Peter Parker's world we *haven't* seen as of now.

So Black Panther happens before Dr. Strange? Is that all because of the stinger at the end of DRS with Thor meeting him? Also Incredible Hulk happening after Iron Man 2 seems incorrect since the college campus fight was on the TV at the end of IM2, meaning they were at least overlapping. Maybe this is again about the stinger with Stark talking to Ross about Hulk leading in to Black Widow tracking down Banner in Avengers? Bah, whatever, fans will have the ultimate recommended viewing order some day, I'm sure. I look forward to the timelapse of fans watching the movies in a straight uninterrupted line and rating the movies (so I can say they're all wrong, obviously)!

RE the Spider-debalete, I'd really hate it if they

killed the Peter we just met. If we were still on Maguire, or even Garfield, I'd maybe be open to it, but Holland's take is new and he's a likeable heroic kid who deserves a full run. No, I would not like to cut him off suddenly just to make way for Miles. Why can't Miles exist in the same world as Peter at the same time anyway? They did on the TV show. Honestly, making room for Miles (who if he's that popular ought to get his own hero identity IMO because Parker IS Spider-Man just like Bruce Wayne IS Batman even after experiments with other people under the cowl have come and gone) by killing off Holland's Peter is one of the ugliest ways I can imagine of bringing diversity to the heroes in the MCU. I'm no fan of the anti-PC online rage machine trollhood who complain about "SJW"'s, but antagonizing them would be the only semi-benefit to such a rotten twist IMO.
    Last edited by gbagok; July 24, 2017 at 07:10am.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Just throwing this out there: there are a lot of old school fans that haven't kept up with comics who won't know who Miles is or why Spider-man isn't Peter Parker.

It could be a win for comic fans but may not go over as well with general audiences.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I saw the leaked trailer this weekend but opted not to download it because I knew Disney would properly release in the near future. But it looked pretty awesome! It looks like it will be THE movie of 2018! No disrespect to The Black Panther, which will be awesome in its own right, but how can you compete with all of Marvel Cinematic characters in one gigantic movie (including the Panther himself)? The only notable characters missing from the D23 trailer were:

Ant-Man, Hulk and War Machine

But I'm sure they will be in the movie. And this is one movie I won't mind if it goes past 3 hours and closes in on 4 hours just for the story itself.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I saw the leaked trailer this weekend but opted not to download it because I knew Disney would properly release in the near future. But it looked pretty awesome! It looks like it will be THE movie of 2018! No disrespect to The Black Panther, which will be awesome in its own right, but how can you compete with all of Marvel Cinematic characters in one gigantic movie (including the Panther himself)? The only notable characters missing from the D23 trailer were:

But I'm sure they will be in the movie. And this is one movie I won't mind if it goes past 3 hours and closes in on 4 hours just for the story itself.
    Your spoilers will all be in the movie if the "cast" stories linked with the wiki page for this movie are correct. Once I saw your spoiler tag I had to go check it out myself to ease any of my own worry

was surprise to have liked it a bit, more than justice league. but then again, its just a trailer and these always get you until the movie is out then its all down hill
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    So Black Panther happens before Dr. Strange? Is that all because of the stinger at the end of DRS with Thor meeting him? Also Incredible Hulk happening after Iron Man 2 seems incorrect since the college campus fight was on the TV at the end of IM2, meaning they were at least overlapping. Maybe this is again about the stinger with Stark talking to Ross about Hulk leading in to Black Widow tracking down Banner in Avengers? Bah, whatever, fans will have the ultimate recommended viewing order some day, I'm sure. I look forward to the timelapse of fans watching the movies in a straight uninterrupted line and rating the movies (so I can say they're all wrong, obviously)!
    Word is that Black Panther begins the next day after the events of Civil War (if you notice in the trailer, both the Civil War Panther suit and the new one are featured in the film). While Strange's phonecall about the prospective patient with the severed spine suggests that the opening of the film takes place at the same time, the bulk of the film takes place months, or a year later.

Yes, while canonically, Iron Man 2, Thor, and Incredible Hulk take place overlapping concurrently, Inc' Hulk follows better, due to needing the end of Iron Man 2 to give Tony's appearance at the end of Inc' Hulk context, and Thor directly spins out of Iron Man 2, clearly taking place immediately. The end scene of Stark negotiating for a "consultant" role could have taken place weeks after the rest of Iron Man 2, so yeah, the overeager RDJ cameo in Inc' Hulk (later retconned in context in "The Consultant" one-shot) makes for Iron Man 2 > Thor > Incredible Hulk being the logical order.

...and of course, less than a day after I put the image up, James Gunn went and confirmed that both Guardians films take place between Winter Soldier and Age Of Ultron, so the next iteration of the order will be a straight line chronology.

Quote Originally Posted by DroothR View Post
    Word is that Black Panther begins the next day after the events of Civil War (if you notice in the trailer, both the Civil War Panther suit and the new one are featured in the film). While Strange's phonecall about the prospective patient with the severed spine suggests that the opening of the film takes place at the same time, the bulk of the film takes place months, or a year later.

Yes, while canonically, Iron Man 2, Thor, and Incredible Hulk take place overlapping concurrently, Inc' Hulk follows better, due to needing the end of Iron Man 2 to give Tony's appearance at the end of Inc' Hulk context, and Thor directly spins out of Iron Man 2, clearly taking place immediately. The end scene of Stark negotiating for a "consultant" role could have taken place weeks after the rest of Iron Man 2, so yeah, the overeager RDJ cameo in Inc' Hulk (later retconned in context in "The Consultant" one-shot) makes for Iron Man 2 > Thor > Incredible Hulk being the logical order.

...and of course, less than a day after I put the image up, James Gunn went and confirmed that both Guardians films take place between Winter Soldier and Age Of Ultron, so the next iteration of the order will be a straight line chronology.
    My hat's off to you then, DroothR as I didn't realize you'd made this yourself and took it for Marvel's official order. I don't agree with IH falling where it does, as I said, but I understand your reasoning. We'll have to see if BP still fits in this sequence once we see it.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

"I like Santa!" Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DroothR View Post
    I get bored sometimes...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4310/...2df6acb5_c.jpg

Marvel Cinematic Universe Film Order Infographic
    (as of the time of the 2017 San Diego Comic Con).

All films up to Avengers: Infinity War, plus Captain Marvel, which was revealed to take place in the 1990's at SDCC's Hall H Marvel Studios presentation.

(And yes, I know some will disagree with the placement of Captain America: The First Avenger, based on the framing scenes, but I placed it where I did for the time period of the film's key narrative)
    I understand your reasoning for placing the first Captain America where you did, but for the small bit of the movie that takes place in "present day" (when Cap wakes up after being frozen), when is that part supposed to take place in relation to the other films?

There are other parts of this list and the rearrangements within it that I would question, but it really wouldn't accomplish anything. Until there's a really convincing reason to do otherwise (which I have yet to find one with the movies that have come out thus far), my preferred viewing order of the movies will continue to be in order of release. With the way they've built things up with the various teasers, Easter eggs, and such, it just makes the most sense to me.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I understand your reasoning for placing the first Captain America where you did, but for the small bit of the movie that takes place in "present day" (when Cap wakes up after being frozen), when is that part supposed to take place in relation to the other films?

There are other parts of this list and the rearrangements within it that I would question, but it really wouldn't accomplish anything. Until there's a really convincing reason to do otherwise (which I have yet to find one with the movies that have come out thus far), my preferred viewing order of the movies will continue to be in order of release. With the way they've built things up with the various teasers, Easter eggs, and such, it just makes the most sense to me.
    This order looks right to me.

Heroic Warrior
    I would place the present day parts pretty much where they were released. Just before Avengers. Cap is unfrozen and met by Fury and SHIELD in CAFA, Avengers starts with him in SHIELD custody getting ready for his first mission and having not actually met Fanboy Coulson and the rest of SHIELD yet. I see no reason to assume it would have happened anywhere else, and considering SHIELD was involved in Thor and Iron Man 2... If they had a super soldier at that point he'd have been involved.

I agree the talk of Miles is WAY too premature. 1st of all because only SOME comic Fans actually care about him. There is a vocal component who want to see him show up... but the vast majority of the movie audience either don't care about him or expect Peter Parker in the role. 2nd, there has been WAY too much publicity about Peter FINALLY being in MCU and the possibilities it opens up... to immediately jump to miles would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Granted I also disagree with whoever said that this is an 'age approptiate' Spider-man. Personally I'm pretty bored with Teenage Spider-man. Considering that 95% of Peter's history has been AFTER he graduated High School... Constantly going back to that same well is wearing on my nerves. I want a college age or older Spider-man who is a contemporary of the other heroes, a mentor to the new crop of heroes, friends with Daredevil and Human Torch... and frankly 15 year old Peter doesn't hit ANY of those marks. It was cool in the Ultimate Comics.... Meh in Spectactular cartoon then Ultimate cartoon, then the Amazing movies... it's time for him to evolve a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Granted I also disagree with whoever said that this is an 'age approptiate' Spider-man. Personally I'm pretty bored with Teenage Spider-man. Considering that 95% of Peter's history has been AFTER he graduated High School... Constantly going back to that same well is wearing on my nerves. I want a college age or older Spider-man who is a contemporary of the other heroes, a mentor to the new crop of heroes, friends with Daredevil and Human Torch... and frankly 15 year old Peter doesn't hit ANY of those marks. It was cool in the Ultimate Comics.... Meh in Spectactular cartoon then Ultimate cartoon, then the Amazing movies... it's time for him to evolve a bit.
    Totally agree! I spent most of my youth reading Spidey comics when he was a seasoned pro. I'm kinda tired of the newbie, just learning his powers, approach.

Cap's discovery/wake up happens right before The Avengers in the chronology. So I do appreciate people's preference for viewing it there, as the last of the solo films before The Avengers (as I pointed out in my original post).

The next iteration I upload will feature text and an arrow indicating that the "present day" scenes of TFA take place before The Avengers, covering both bases.

This image (from the link Adam_Prince of Eternia posted) details the official canon chronology of Phase One.

So, the poster shows all six of the Infinity Stones... yet, we have only been introduced to five of them in the MCU thus far:

- The space stone (introduced in Thor, CA, & Avengers) as the Tesseract - blue
    - The mind stone (introduced in Age of Ultron) as the Chitauri Scepter - yellow
    - The reality stone (introduced in Thor: the Dark World) as the liquid Aether - red
    - The power stone (introduced in GotG) as the Orb - purple
    - The time stone (introduced in Doctor Strange) as the Eye of Agamotto - green

This leads me to believe that the sixth and final stone (soul - orange) will appear in Thor: Ragnarok, possibly as part of Hela's scheme - or (a more popular opinion) is as part of Heimdall's "all seeing" powers...

Personally, I still believe that Adam Warlock has something to do with it... whether he emerges from the cocoon with it, or receives it at a later time we do not know. Either way, one would have to believe that it will show up before Infinity War debuts next year. Even if it's not part of the Ragnarok movie, it could be introduced in an after-credits scene?

Any thoughts?