Thread: Cereals and cereal toys from childhood

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar

Cereals and cereal toys from childhood

What were your favorite cereals as a kid, and why?

And what are some memories you have of those fun toys that came in "specially marked boxes" of cereal?

Before we go on, if you haven't seen it, there is an entire thread dedicated to General Mills' "Monster Cereals" on this forum already - so any discussion of Count Chocula, FrankenBerry, Boo Berry, Fruit Brute, and Yummy Mummy will be right at (haunted) home in that thread. :-)

CEREALS

- Lucky Charms - What kid didn't love these? And the fun commercials, too. I even remember when "red balloons" were new! lol...and I may vaguely remember when "purple horseshoes" were new, but I was pretty little when those came along. I remember how annoyed I would get when my sister would get into the Lucky Charms and snack on the marshmallows, leaving only the boring brown grainy cereal part, haha.

- Golden Grahams - This wasn't a "fun" cereal (i.e., packaged for regular grown-ups, not kids), but man, was it delicious...I loved pouring milk over those golden squares...they were so good I would often have another bowl after I finished my first, lol.

- Peanut Butter Crunch - I never got into Captain Crunch, but man oh man did I love me some Peanut Butter Crunch! Dang that stuff was good!

- Cinnamon Toast Crunch - Oh man, oh man...like Golden Grahams this stuff was delicious, and I would often have another bowl. Just that perfect cinnamon sprinkling over every square, mmmmm...

- Fruity Pebbles - I think this was my favorite fruit-flavored cereal ever. And I loved how small the flakes were, and so colorful; the size and shape seemed unique for a cereal to me. And it made crunching them up while enjoying the fruity bursts of flavor lots of fun!

- Froot Loops - I've always loved toucans (even though Sam didn't look like a real one, lol), and I really enjoyed this cereal. The colored rings were fun, and their various fruit flavors were quite yummy.

- Smurf-Berry Crunch - I loved the Smurfs, so eating their own cereal made me feel even closer to the Smurf Village, lol. I liked the red and blue color scheme, and it was pretty tasty, too.

- Croonchy Stars - The official Muppet cereal from The Swedish Chef. It wasn't around very long, but I LOVED the Muppets (still do), so it was a thrill being able to buy actual Muppet cereal! I don't remember the taste, I just loved the novelty that it was from the Muppets, lol.

- Cookie Crisp - I have memories of eating this at my grandparents' house. Cookies for breakfast, that was just the most anarchic, rebellious thing to a kid, lol. Fun to chomp those li'l cookies in milk!

CEREAL TOYS

- I don't know what cereals they came in, but those slime-ish things that you threw on walls and they would "crawl" down? LOVED those.

Update: Oo! I found pics! They're Wacky Wallwalkers!

- I also vividly remember a Garfield bike reflector that was his orange-and-black head, with his big eyes being the reflector part, lol. I put that on my bike and thought that was fun to have.

Whoa! I found a pic of it! lol:

Those are the only cereal toys I really remember off the top of my head, but I hope I'll remember more; maybe some more responses in this thread will trigger more memories. :-)
    Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; September 2, 2017 at 09:06am.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

The Disney PVC figurines in the 90s cereals were the only time some of those characters got decent toys. Outside of Playmates Darkwing Duck, anyway, and that line didn't last long.

Today a toy of the same size but with half the paint is sold as a $3 blind bag.

How 'bout these for a stroll down Memory Lane? (many of these I do not actually remember---some may have had a brief life in grocery stores---but the properties they were tied to were of course BIG properties that we all remember):

(side note: while I don't really recall Pac-Man cereal---but I wish I did!---I definitely do remember Pac-Man Pasta!)

I don't remember Nintendo cereal (!), but man, I would have been all about that!

[IMG]https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/enhanced/webdr03/2013/2/15/13/enhanced-buzz-orig-18899-1360953415-5.jpg?downsize=715:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto[/IMG]

[IMG]https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/enhanced/webdr02/2013/2/15/13/enhanced-buzz-orig-20331-1360954250-8.jpg?downsize=715:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto[/IMG]

And Barbie had cereal?!? lol

Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; August 26, 2017 at 08:36am.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

The TMNT cereal still ranks as one of my all time favorites. Great gimmick with the "ninja nets" and it actually tasted good!
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2017!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    The TMNT cereal still ranks as one of my all time favorites. Great gimmick with the "ninja nets" and it actually tasted good!
    That TMNT cereal was pretty good!! I remember getting a Donatello cereal bowl that I believe came shrink-wrapped to the box.

I also remember getting the 1989 Batman movie cereal with the Batman bank shrink-wrapped to the box, though I can't remember what the cereal actually tasted like.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    That TMNT cereal was pretty good!! I remember getting a Donatello cereal bowl that I believe came shrink-wrapped to the box.
    I never had their cereal, but Donatello was my favorite!

Some more vintage childhood cereals!

And here's the prototype for Croonchy Stars, what most people at Henson really wanted to call it, but they just couldn't---"Stoopid Flakes"!

I usually had to try at least once the cereals based off entertainment I liked, but most of the time they did not taste as good as the regular cereals. Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles were among my favorites as a kid and one of the few to last so long based on an entertainment property.

I'm not sure I ever had TMNT cereal, but I did like TMNT vanilla pudding pies:
    http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0898/raph.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I usually had to try at least once the cereals based off entertainment I liked, but most of the time they did not taste as good as the regular cereals. Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles were among my favorites as a kid and one of the few to last so long based on an entertainment property.
    I agree, Firefly; for instance, I really liked FrankenBerry, and I guess I liked Count Chocula? (I actually don't remember eating it, but surely I did at least once? lol), but to me Fruity Pebbles was the best-tasting of all the fruity cereals, and Cocoa Pebbles was the best-tasting chocolaty one. :-)

And whoa, we all know of Rice Krispies, but did anyone ever hear of Marshmallow Krispies?? (1982)

And oh, another delicious addictive one---Super Golden Crisp!

And Honeycomb! I loved how freakin' BIG the honeycoms were, and what fun it was to push 'em down into the milk with your spoon and watch the milk come up through the holes, lol:

And I've never heard of this before, but it's hilarious

Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; August 26, 2017 at 12:50pm.

I remember one of my favorites cereal prizes was the the bicycle liscenses.

Sierra hotel india echo Lima delta...

Cool, Andy---and---there was Strawberry Honeycomb??

Heroic Warrior
    if it was sugary I ate it. still to this day.

to cleanse the pallet I would it Cheerios and frosted flakes.

by far the one I had the most was called crispy critters or as I used to call it crappy critters.

Do they still make King Vitamin? I had this curiosity as a kid about trying it but never asked my mom to buy a box.

And I'm with Andy on those bike license plates. I always wanted one of them as a kid, but never had any of the cereal that had them inside. I think it was more than just the Honey Comb that had them, wasn't it? Or I could just be misremembering.

Do they still make King Vitamin? I had this curiosity as a kid about trying it but never asked my mom to buy a box.

And I'm with Andy on those bike license plates. I always wanted one of them as a kid, but never had any of the cereal that had them inside. I think it was more than just the Honey Comb that had them, wasn't it? Or I could just be misremembering.
    The do make King Vitaman! It sort of tastes like Captain Crunch...

I remember so many of these! My brother and I each got a cereal bowl from TMNT cereal! I got Donatello and I believe he got Leonardo or Raphael.

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves also had its own limited cereal as well, with little arrow shapes. Loved it! The cereal aisle seems so much more "controlled," nowadays... maybe it's me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could be misremembering, i thought it was fruit loops at one time but it's apparently always been froot loops.

I know wheaties did bicycle liscense plates in the seventies. I remember my mom used to eat super sugar crisp/golden crisp and it might have had the same promotion as honeycomb. Honestly, I was too busy being hooked on strawberry honeycomb to notice.

I don't even remember seeing strawberry honey comb at the store. But it sounds awesome!

They've actually launched it twice now but it went the way of the wendy's bacon mushroom melt.

Here's an awesome site that shows some of the boxes.

http://www.mrbreakfast.com/cereal_timeline.asp

And

http://www.mrbreakfast.com/cereal_list.asp

Peanut Butter Captain Crunch was my all time favorite as a kid. I remember collecting these too:
    Capt1.jpg
    I loved the glow-in-the-dark figures the most as I was all about some glow-in-the-dark stuff!

My favorite monster cereal was Boo-berry but it was only because of the color I didn't actually like the cereal but I ate it anyway.

Smurf Berries were a favorite that I only got when we went to my cousins house. I thought they were awesome but my mom never bought them.

And I may have been the only kid in the world that liked and asked for:

bran.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Adams View Post
    WHOA Andy, very cool finds! Thanks for sharing!

Holy cow, there was an Orange Blossom cereal?!? It was enough of a discovery last week to see they made a Strawberry Shortcake cereal, but Orange Blossom?? Orange-flavored cereal, I dunno, lol...

I do think it was marketing genius though to have Blueberry Muffin blueberry muffin mix! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I loved the glow-in-the-dark figures the most as I was all about some glow-in-the-dark stuff!
    Oh man, me too! And I loved Glo Worm and the Glo Friends, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    And I may have been the only kid in the world that liked and asked for:

bran.jpg
    Hahaha, too funny!

I loved the toys from Cap'n Crunch (some were mail aways) much more than the cereal itself. Also, I must have eaten a ton of Honey Combs as a kid as I remember a lot of those premiums. No memory of the strawberry variety though.

Sent from my thumbs to your eyeballs

Vengeance Demon The Riding Ghost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    CEREAL TOYS

- I don't know what cereals they came in, but those slime-ish things that you threw on walls and they would "crawl" down? LOVED those.

Update: Oo! I found pics! They're Wacky Wallwalkers!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Wallwalker.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...ntage-toys.jpg
    I just saw those the other day at Hobby Lobby. They have them with all the "Nostalgia" stuff. What you once got free in a cereal box now only runs you $5-7! Such a deal!

RG

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    I agree, Firefly; for instance, I really liked FrankenBerry, and I guess I liked Count Chocula? (I actually don't remember eating it, but surely I did at least once? lol), but to me Fruity Pebbles was the best-tasting of all the fruity cereals, and Cocoa Pebbles was the best-tasting chocolaty one. :-)

And whoa, we all know of Rice Krispies, but did anyone ever hear of Marshmallow Krispies?? (1982)

https://metvnetwork.s3.amazonaws.com...arshkrisp2.jpg

And oh, another delicious addictive one---Super Golden Crisp!

http://www.mrbreakfast.com/ucp/565_4528_ucp.jpg

And Honeycomb! I loved how freakin' BIG the honeycoms were, and what fun it was to push 'em down into the milk with your spoon and watch the milk come up through the holes, lol:

https://img.ifcdn.com/images/f703dab...3f04059f_1.jpg

And I've never heard of this before, but it's hilarious

https://cezl.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/vitamin2.jpg
    King Vitaman was my favorite cereal when I was a kid. It was super good. Kinda on the lines of Capn Crunch.