Thread: The Official 2016/2017 College Football thread

Master of New Adventures!

The Official 2016/2017 College Football thread

Well it's that time of year again! 100 days until the official start of college football -- which, in our home, means the University of Nebraska opening game kickoff!

This year I'm doing something entirely different. After all these years doing the thread and having my Huskers' hopes not only dashed but often humiliated, I've finally learned to keep my big mouth shut about predictions for the Cornhuskers...well, least for the first half of the season. Maybe it will help. We'll see.

That won't stop me from giving praise and criticism to Big Red when it's due, of course, but no major predictions for the Nebraska season. I do hope all of you college football fans will have at it with your own predictions and I will chime in on most every other team of note however, and I sure hope everyone else does.

Let's have a great football season and a lot of fun!

GO BIG RED!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I've been keeping an eye on the expansion scene.

There was an article recently in the local paper saying that the big 12 needs to pump the breaks on expansion talks.

I don't know what's going to happen if anything.

As for when we could hear something either that I keep on getting mixed up on. It's either June 1 or July 1. That is either when the academic year or the athletic year ends.

I know a lot of people don't find it interesting but I do.

I do know that the current BTN tv is about a year from expiring and that the Big Ten is getting it set up. and a half of it has been picked up. Just drawing a blank at the moment on who that is.

I'm one of those who, like you, find it interesting, midor. Frankly, I'm almost as fascinated by the behind-the-scenes goings on, whether its with the athletes, NCAA administrators or the broadcasters, colleges and universities, as I am by the games themselves. But then my favorite scene in THE WIZARD OF OZ is when the curtain is drawn back revealing the 'wizard' turning gears and lifting and lowering levers.

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    I've been keeping an eye on the expansion scene.

There was an article recently in the local paper saying that the big 12 needs to pump the breaks on expansion talks.

I don't know what's going to happen if anything.

As for when we could hear something either that I keep on getting mixed up on. It's either June 1 or July 1. That is either when the academic year or the athletic year ends.

I know a lot of people don't find it interesting but I do.

I do know that the current BTN tv is about a year from expiring and that the Big Ten is getting it set up. and a half of it has been picked up. Just drawing a blank at the moment on who that is.

Heroic Warrior

Big 10 over/under link

Don't tease me, Moneypenny!

Heroic Warrior
    Sorry about that Mr. Bond.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Don't tease me, Moneypenny!

I'll probably go to at least one Nebraska and one Iowa State game this year.

My guess is that the Big 12 will eventually add Cincinnati and one other team. They really should have added Louisville when they had the chance. I suppose they could add a couple football only schools and then a school like Boise State might make a little sense. BYU would be a good add, but they already have one diva in Texas and too many concessions would have to be made and the no Sunday thing could present problems. If Texas isn't willing to form a Big 12 Network at some point, the whole Big 12 could eventually implode. Texas or Oklahoma leaving would be a death blow.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not a big 12 guy but it seems to me that the big 12 as a whole or maybe just whoever the acting commissh is that they are dead set at adding teams.

It seems to me that they think they can make it without adding any teams. To me it just seems like if they don't they're going to get left in the dust. I guess I kind of applaud them for sticking to their guns but it could bite them in the rear.

I honestly don't know if there any teams out there good enough or worthy enough to join.

I have read their have been teams knock at and down their door and yet they've turned them away. Which I think is a mistake.

Yes, it's nice playing everybody during the football season but change maybe necessary.

I don't know if the ACC is going to implode or the Pac12 or the big 12. Or maybe no one at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

My guess is that the Big 12 will eventually add Cincinnati and one other team. They really should have added Louisville when they had the chance. I suppose they could add a couple football only schools and then a school like Boise State might make a little sense. BYU would be a good add, but they already have one diva in Texas and too many concessions would have to be made and the no Sunday thing could present problems. If Texas isn't willing to form a Big 12 Network at some point, the whole Big 12 could eventually implode. Texas or Oklahoma leaving would be a death blow.

Here's an absolutely dream scenario -- Notre Dame joins the Big 12. Added revenues for everyone and a great, legendary franchise coming into the BIG 12 with fabulous match-ups. What's not to love?

Heroic Warrior
    Technically they are.

Starting with the 2016-2017 hockey season

I think the Big 10 needs to give up on Notre Dame joining as a whole or for just football.

As a Big 10 guy I don't want Notre Dame in.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Here's an absolutely dream scenario -- Notre Dame joins the Big 12. Added revenues for everyone and a great, legendary franchise coming into the BIG 12 with fabulous match-ups. What's not to love?

I'd like to see them in the Big 12 for football.

Technically they are.

Starting with the 2016-2017 hockey season

I think the Big 10 needs to give up on Notre Dame joining as a whole or for just football.

As a Big 10 guy I don't want Notre Dame in.

Heroic Warrior
    I just now saw this on www . land thieves . com (I can't post the link because it can get a bit raw) and I JUST HAVE TO post it.

Sure, it'll ruffle the feathers of Firefly and Mr. Olesker but what the hey.

Embeded for your pleasure

Iowa insulting Nebraska is like Kowl insulting Orko.

Heroic Warrior
    1. about time the b12 wakes up and admits that they need to expand. the football world was passing them by.

2. just now seeing. I personally don't agree http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...n-the-big-ten/

I don't think Nebraska liked Texas' influence & power over the league and they are getting a lot more money playing in the Big Ten. I do miss them winning the Big 12 North a lot, but they had bad luck in the Big 12 title games often. The Big 12 is much more unstable. The second Texas or Oklahoma leaves it will implode. Texas making feelers to the Pac 12 and having their own network is what basically sent Colorado to the Pac 12 and Texas A&M & Missouri to the SEC. Teams like Cincinnati, Connecticut, or Houston don't add much to the table for the Big 12.

Heroic Warrior
    To me Nebraska pretty much said that they were tired of Texas's B.S.

I don't think Nebraska liked Texas' influence & power over the league and they are getting a lot more money playing in the Big Ten. I do miss them winning the Big 12 North a lot, but they had bad luck in the Big 12 title games often. The Big 12 is much more unstable. The second Texas or Oklahoma leaves it will implode. Texas making feelers to the Pac 12 and having their own network is what basically sent Colorado to the Pac 12 and Texas A&M & Missouri to the SEC. Teams like Cincinnati, Connecticut, or Houston don't add much to the table for the Big 12.